IGNORED

Steve Walsh

Kid in the Riot

2 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

And Craig Shakespeare if we can get him ?

I can see Walsh joining but just cannot see it with Shakespeare. He is assistant manager at the premier league club which he actually supports. No matter how well him and Pearson get on, expecting him to quit his boyhood team for an equivalent post in the division below doesn't make sense, especially given Villa can surely outgun us financially. 

1 minute ago, tin said:

I also think Shakespeare is unlikely for reasons others have stated, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Chris Powell and/or Mike Stowell (ex-City keeper) come down in some capacity. 

Pearson seems so keen to take the job that he must have sounded out a few people and they've all said "yep, I'll come"..................

23 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I can see Walsh joining but just cannot see it with Shakespeare. He is assistant manager at the premier league club which he actually supports. No matter how well him and Pearson get on, expecting him to quit his boyhood team for an equivalent post in the division below doesn't make sense, especially given Villa can surely outgun us financially. 

Exactly. Any coach wants to work with the best players too, and I can't see Shakey trading up coaching Jack Grealish on a day-to-day basis with Taylor Moore. 

16 minutes ago, Bangkok Red said:

Correct, Walsh was sacked at Everton and this is the reason why.

https://www.grandoldteam.com/2020/08/11/how-steve-walsh-ruined-everton/

Seems somewhat of a biased article based on opinion really, talks about what they consider the poor transfers and doesn't mention what they consider to be good ones bar 1 sentence, they're also talking about the goalscoring and assists of Schneiderlin as justification of criticism of his fee. There's also no consideration of the standing, reputation and potential of the players listed when they were signed.

4 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Seems somewhat of a biased article based on opinion really, talks about what they consider the poor transfers and doesn't mention what they consider to be good ones bar 1 sentence, they're also talking about the goalscoring and assists of Schneiderlin as justification of criticism of his fee. There's also no consideration of the standing, reputation and potential of the players listed when they were signed.

Lets be honest, looking at that article hardly any of the players mentioned were good signings. Particularly for their fees.

5 minutes ago, Selred said:

Lets be honest, looking at that article hardly any of the players mentioned were good signings. Particularly for their fees.

A few I'd argue on but mostly yeah mostly I'd agree, however you get more kudos for the point you're making if you can do it in a balanced way in my opinion, talking about the strengths of players he signed who did well or average as well. Calvert-Lewin if he got sold would probably net them a good £50m profit if he were to leave.

1 hour ago, Bazooka Joe said:

To be or not to be, that is the question.

If it doesn't happen then it will have been much ado about nothing.

And they're off! Another OTIB Pun Marathon is under way with Bazooka Joe out to a fast start closely followed by the Major, Roger Red Hat and Slarti! 

This one could run all night folks, let's hope all swell that end swell.

Taxi!  

44 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Exactly. Any coach wants to work with the best players too, and I can't see Shakey trading up coaching Jack Grealish on a day-to-day basis with Taylor Moore. 

I don’t know. Having played with Brown Fox he’s used to having to work with useless tits.

A434947E-4E7C-47B3-9E01-EAE4DAA6DEFD.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Personally I think it's far more relevant to us what Walsh did at Leicester than Everton, given size/type of club.

Exactly. It’s like saying you wouldn’t want Keoman as City manager as he was sacked from Everton.

10 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

And they're off! Another OTIB Pun Marathon is under way with Bazooka Joe out to a fast start closely followed by the Major, Roger Red Hat and Slarti! 

This one could run all night folks, let's hope all swell that end swell.

Taxi!  

Well so far this season it has been 'A Comedy Of Errors' , all we need now is to find a position for '(Gus) Julius Caesar' ?

58 minutes ago, Bangkok Red said:

Correct, Walsh was sacked at Everton and this is the reason why.

https://www.grandoldteam.com/2020/08/11/how-steve-walsh-ruined-everton/

It's basically a fan doing a bit of amateur journalism. That's fine but they won't have any context so to what happened behind the scenes, whether Walsh's recommendations were listened to and exactly what role Walsh played. For example the signings of Sigurdsson, Klaasson and Rooney make no sense in terms of signing three attacking midfielders but did Koeman think Sigurdsson and Klaason could play together, sign those players on that basis and then the owners felt Rooney was too high a profile signing to refuse and bring him in too. I certainly can't imagine the owners would have needed Walsh to identify Rooney.

Also was Bolasie a terrible signing because he was the wrong player or because he picked up a serious injury two months after he signed that hampered his career? I don't think Walsh can be blamed for the latter. 

It's possible Walsh did a terrible job at Everton or it is possible Walsh was trying to recommend promising and unheralded talent across Europe and his job clashed with owners that wanted marquee signings to make a statement. We just don't know enough detail to know. 

Archived