IGNORED

Steve Walsh

Kid in the Riot

13 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

It's basically a fan doing a bit of amateur journalism. That's fine but they won't have any context so to what happened behind the scenes, whether Walsh's recommendations were listened to and exactly what role Walsh played. For example the signings of Sigurdsson, Klaasson and Rooney make no sense in terms of signing three attacking midfielders but did Koeman think Sigurdsson and Klaason could play together, sign those players on that basis and then the owners felt Rooney was too high a profile signing to refuse and bring him in too. I certainly can't imagine the owners would have needed Walsh to identify Rooney.

Also was Bolasie a terrible signing because he was the wrong player or because he picked up a serious injury two months after he signed that hampered his career? I don't think Walsh can be blamed for the latter. 

It's possible Walsh did a terrible job at Everton or it is possible Walsh was trying to recommend promising and unheralded talent across Europe and his job clashed with owners that wanted marquee signings to make a statement. We just don't know enough detail to know. 

And in fairness that is why I don’t hold Ashton wholly responsible for recruitment.  But he is at least partly responsible.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if we are already speaking to Walsh and also if we’ve asked Villa if we can have a chat with Shakespeare. 
This is the management team that put together a premier league title winning team. It would be remiss of SL to not at least attempt to put them back together. 

NP, Walsh and Shakespeare

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Just imagine if the wheels were already in motion . . . 

All 3 of ‘em

PAY-BNPS_OnlyFoolsAndHorses_01.jpg

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And in fairness that is why I don’t hold Ashton wholly responsible for recruitment.  But he is at least partly responsible.

He had to be the one who had control of the strings, otherwise how and why did we sign so many that we never got to see and why was our coach so keen to make some look bad by playing them out of position, and selecting others that were just not up to the job, due to fitness or lack of interest in the shirt - so much so that it cost us points!

1 minute ago, dave36 said:

He had to be the one who had control of the strings, otherwise how and why did we sign so many that we never got to see and why was our coach so keen to make some look bad by playing them out of position, and selecting others that were just not up to the job, due to fitness or lack of interest in the shirt - so much so that it cost us points!

I think Ashton is wholly responsible for so many players being ooc this summer. This would be almost negligent management, where not for the fact that it might turn out to be a blessing in disguise when it comes to rebuilding the squad and getting rid of some of the dross.

52 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Apparently Shakespeare has been scouring The Globe for talent and has focused mainly on Italy where he's scouted Two Gentlemen Of Verona, and Measure For Measure they are an improvement on our current players.

Et tu Brute?

We're gluttons for Pun-ishment.

26 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Out of the 61 signings made from the first true window under LJ, which ones do you think LJ didn’t want?    If I remove some of the true “ones for the future” - Hinds, di Girolamo, Holden, Bakinson, and Cundy, how many of the 56 do you think he didn’t want?

A27B550E-1AA8-4FD7-BF6C-E9D58642BFBB.thumb.jpeg.6a8a29cd226a6bb5cd47f86722b2ec80.jpeg

I totally get he might not have wanted to sell certain players, but much of that comes because we had spent so much on players and wages that were “clubs in the bag”.

38 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Mostly responsible I would say, but I agree with the sentiment. 

If I was to offer some comfort to Ipswich fans it would be that from a footballing perspective we are a poorly run club imo. Poorly run in the same way Ipswich were poorly run by Marcus Evans. The main difference between the two owners being Steve isn't a complete tight-arse, whereas Evans is so tight he squeaks when he walks. 

Working within a proper footballing structure, with a board that has actual sporting experience and doesn't give him free reign to do whatever he wants, it is perfectly possible Ashton will thrive at Ipswich. 

O'Leary is described as Ashton's mentor so he will likely be able to keep Ashton in check. 

Bloke's still a bellend, but as was the case here, their fans won't care as long as they see results. 

2 hours ago, Bangkok Red said:

Correct, Walsh was sacked at Everton and this is the reason why.

https://www.grandoldteam.com/2020/08/11/how-steve-walsh-ruined-everton/

50 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

hmmm, this makes Ashton's cock-ups in the transfer market pale into insignificance

It’s an incredibly bias article written by someone who is an aspiring journo who’s only collected 700 Twitter followers, hails from the USA and doesn’t make any reference to the £280 million they’ve spent since Walsh left and they’re still no better off, with the likes of Iwobi, Gibson, Kean, Gbamin, Delph, Gomes, Allan, King probably featuring if he was to write another list today. 
I’d also argue that some of those he’s called out as poor signings are actually still integral to their team today despite the additional £270m outlay since his departure. 

35 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Out of the 61 signings made from the first true window under LJ, which ones do you think LJ didn’t want?    If I remove some of the true “ones for the future” - Hinds, di Girolamo, Holden, Bakinson, and Cundy, how many of the 56 do you think he didn’t want?

A27B550E-1AA8-4FD7-BF6C-E9D58642BFBB.thumb.jpeg.6a8a29cd226a6bb5cd47f86722b2ec80.jpeg

I totally get he might not have wanted to sell certain players, but much of that comes because we had spent so much on players and wages that were “clubs in the bag”.

Jesus wept, I knew we'd recruited some shit but seeing that makes the scale of it apparent.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

That does shine a light on not only the recruitment team, the policy and the top men's willingness to back the manager. But also on Johnson's need to accumulate players and then loose interest. All just a little bit free and easy. If Steve and Mark had told their boy Lee 'No' once in a while, he might have concentrated on bringing in quality , rather than numbers.

39 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

That does shine a light on not only the recruitment team, the policy and the top men's willingness to back the manager. But also on Johnson's need to accumulate players and then loose interest. All just a little bit free and easy. If Steve and Mark had told their boy Lee 'No' once in a while, he might have concentrated on bringing in quality , rather than numbers.

Nicely summarised.  I think summer 18/19 was the attempt to do that in fairness. 

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

They could do a lot worse. I'll forgive him Nagy ?...although even then he's pointed out his weaknesses that he had to improve on.

For me...the overidng problem, is that the Club are aware of the majority of decent players...they either haven't moved fast enough, or don't want to/ like/ prefer other/ work with certain agents.

Matt Grimes and Oli Watkins prime examples...

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

They could do a lot worse. I'll forgive him Nagy ?...although even then he's pointed out his weaknesses that he had to improve on.

For me...the overidng problem, is that the Club are aware of the majority of decent players...they either haven't moved fast enough, or don't want to/ like/ prefer other/ work with certain agents.

And Jarred Bowen

2 hours ago, spudski said:

And / or haven’t worked out which ones are a good fit.

On 13/04/2021 at 20:13, 1960maaan said:

Might have looked to develop them a bit too, or change his tactics to try and accomodate some better- losing interest was a problem. The churn was a nonsense for a lot of his time here.

On 13/04/2021 at 19:10, Harry said:

It’s an incredibly bias article written by someone who is an aspiring journo who’s only collected 700 Twitter followers, hails from the USA and doesn’t make any reference to the £280 million they’ve spent since Walsh left and they’re still no better off, with the likes of Iwobi, Gibson, Kean, Gbamin, Delph, Gomes, Allan, King probably featuring if he was to write another list today. 
I’d also argue that some of those he’s called out as poor signings are actually still integral to their team today despite the additional £270m outlay since his departure. 

Two if not three of these are best suited to a 3- know a few Everton fans and Ancelotti's liking for a two doesn't help them. Allan has had injuries too.

Is Kean a poor player? Can't be that poor if doing well at PSG and was highly thought of at Juventus prior to sale- age 21 time on his side, King was a short term signing.

On 13/04/2021 at 12:34, Davefevs said:

Can you imagine being LJs caddy!?

On 13/04/2021 at 20:13, 1960maaan said:

The most laughable bit for me is that he brought in all of those players and yet once he got his nose well and truly punched by Wolves when we were flying he regressed into only being able to play a one dimensional counter attacking game. I know many people disagree but I saw him as stealing a living (from us) come the end. It's the boy in a sweet shop who has been given so much money to spend by his parents that he ends up spending a fortune on sweets he doesn't even like. Where I blame Mark Ashton in all this, as he was basically the recruitment lead, is where were his bollocks? Where was the conversation where he said "are you ******* kidding me Lee? Why the hell are we bringing ANOTHER midfield player on £6K per week. We've got eleven of them on the books costing us £50K per week as it stands, you are supposed to be Head Coach, so go and ******* coach the ones you have already".

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The most laughable bit for me is that he brought in all of those players and yet once he got his nose well and truly punched by Wolves when we were flying he regressed into only being able to play a one dimensional counter attacking game. I know many people disagree but I saw him as stealing a living (from us) come the end. It's the boy in a sweet shop who has been given so much money to spend by his parents that he ends up spending a fortune on sweets he doesn't even like. Where I blame Mark Ashton in all this, as he was basically the recruitment lead, is where were his bollocks? Where was the conversation where he said "are you ******* kidding me Lee? Why the hell are we bringing ANOTHER midfield player on £6K per week. We've got eleven of them on the books costing us £50K per week as it stands, you are supposed to be Head Coach, so go and ******* coach the ones you have already".

Could it be possible that in some way he profited from each transfer?

1 hour ago, kingswood red said:

Could it be possible that in some way he profited from each transfer?

I think he did , but possibly not in the way you might mean.
I think he is so ego led , that he enjoys trying to get one over on people so much, that he was happy to do deal after deal. 

8 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I think you're right. 'The Art of the Deal' Trump called it and there might just a comparison or two to be made between him and our departed CEO.

Yep, I think he loved the “stuff” that came with a signing, the chance to tell the fans how we fought off other clubs, etc.

Not a word from him on DS signing though.

On 13/04/2021 at 18:34, Davefevs said:

How anyone can defend that transfer policy is beyond me. 61 signings in 5 years...!! That's basically a new team every season!!!....

....and after all that, we still need a ******* new one...!! :gaah:

Archived