IGNORED

Steve Walsh

Kid in the Riot

All quiet on the club front since MA announcement. You think for such a important role that wheels would have long been in motion for his replacement, especially considering MA has been planning his move for a good while.

can we expect any announcements soon on CEO, manager and coaches and hopefully DOF roles?

need to act fast not only to get the right men but the most important factor and our biggest downfall (recruitment) needs to be good and needs to be in process now really

Just now, BOSRed said:

All quiet on the club front since MA announcement. You think for such a important role that wheels would have long been in motion for his replacement, especially considering MA has been planning his move for a good while.

can we expect any announcements soon on CEO, manager and coaches and hopefully DOF roles?

need to act fast not only to get the right men but the most important factor and our biggest downfall (recruitment) needs to be good and needs to be in process now really

You know the old saying: 'Rome wasn't built in a day. It was built after a 6 week vigorous process and crumbled a few months later...'

4 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

The most laughable bit for me is that he brought in all of those players and yet once he got his nose well and truly punched by Wolves when we were flying he regressed into only being able to play a one dimensional counter attacking game. I know many people disagree but I saw him as stealing a living (from us) come the end. It's the boy in a sweet shop who has been given so much money to spend by his parents that he ends up spending a fortune on sweets he doesn't even like. Where I blame Mark Ashton in all this, as he was basically the recruitment lead, is where were his bollocks? Where was the conversation where he said "are you ******* kidding me Lee? Why the hell are we bringing ANOTHER midfield player on £6K per week. We've got eleven of them on the books costing us £50K per week as it stands, you are supposed to be Head Coach, so go and ******* coach the ones you have already".

Love this, though who wouldnt want to sign markus henriksson if they had the chance?

On 13/04/2021 at 16:33, Kid in the Riot said:

Exactly. Any coach wants to work with the best players too, and I can't see Shakey trading up coaching Jack Grealish on a day-to-day basis with Taylor Moore. 

:laughcont:   I mean everyone likes a challenge at work... but not THAT much of a challenge!   :rofl2br:

21 minutes ago, Ostrich said:

I'm not 100% sold on Steve Walsh tbh. You can't take away from what he and his team did build but there's a lot more nuance to his part in that than is made out and what he's delivered since the summer of 2015 has been rather sketchy. 

Such as offering an unknown Erling Haaland to Everton for peanuts? 

Let's hope you're wrong. 

47 minutes ago, Ostrich said:

I'm not 100% sold on Steve Walsh tbh. You can't take away from what he and his team did build but there's a lot more nuance to his part in that than is made out and what he's delivered since the summer of 2015 has been rather sketchy. 

After suffering Mark Ashton and his recruitment team for 5 years, never mind Steve Walsh, I'd take Louis Walsh 

18 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Such as offering an unknown Erling Haaland to Everton for peanuts? 

Let's hope you're wrong. 

Anyone can do an interview and list a few players who conveniently have gone on to be wonderful elsewhere and claim they weren't backed. The Haaland claims smells like bullshit. He was either paying 4m quid  for him when Molde signed him for about £2.50 in January 2017 or 14 games later in that summer. Yet Salzburg only paid 5m when he'd actually shown something in the Norwegian league. They didn't back him to sign Haaland for peanuts but did back him to spend more than that on Sandro or pay double what Sigurdsson was worth. Of course Steve, of course, probably had him on a list somewhere in his office.

8 minutes ago, Ostrich said:

Anyone can do an interview and list a few players who conveniently have gone on to be wonderful elsewhere and claim they weren't backed. The Haaland claims smells like bullshit. He was either paying 4m quid  for him when Molde signed him for about £2.50 in January 2017 or 14 games later in that summer. Yet Salzburg only paid 5m when he'd actually shown something in the Norwegian league. They didn't back him to sign Haaland for peanuts but did back him to spend more than that on Sandro or pay double what Sigurdsson was worth. Of course Steve, of course, probably had him on a list somewhere in his office.

You're welcome to come on OTIB of course but you come across as very negative about Pearson, Walsh etc. Why?

4 minutes ago, M.D said:

You're welcome to come on OTIB of course but you come across as very negative about Pearson, Walsh etc. Why?

I'm not negative about Pearson, I'm skeptical about whether he can recreate what he did at Leicester because since he left he hasn't really shown signs of doing it and I think there's a general feeling with Leicester fans that he can't do it without Shakespeare. Derby was a disaster for him, at Leuven he had the biggest budget in the division and almost got them relegated, and at Watford he had an initial bounce and faded after (his sacking saved him from a relegation on his CV,but they were going down when he arrived so no shame). 

All I've said on here is that I'd have expected him to have more of an impact from the outset for and the three games that I've seen were all absolutely dire with few redeemable bits from them but I've also said that his record at Leicester does make him the ideal person to be given a chance to sort you guys out and I really would love him to do it again because we're all grateful to him for sorting us out (the League 1 season as much as the second spell tbh). I don't think that's overly negative.

You also have to see that I come at it from a slightly different point of view, a)I'm not scarred by Lee Johnson and Dean Holden as many of you seem to be and therefore don't come at it as anyone but those two is a relief and b) Bristol City fans are prone to motivated reasoning on Pearson now hence everyone harps back to what Pearson (and Walsh) did at Leicester, rather than since.

As for Walsh, yes my opinion is more negative. The interview in The Athletic that people quote comes across really poorly in my view and backs up some of the things I've heard about him. You'll also struggle to find an Evertonian with anything good to say about him (and plenty of supposed itks with plenty negative to say about him). I do think the public narrative around his recruitment is overstated somewhat, we've hardly suffered on recruitment since he left (Summer 2016 was essentially his window and it was an absolute disaster, maybe had something to do with Rob MacKenzie leaving), albeit his strength might be in building the recruitment team which shouldn't be overlooked.  

On 15/04/2021 at 14:07, Simon bristol said:

Love this, though who wouldnt want to sign markus henriksson if they had the chance?

As with a few- probably more than a few- signing decent track record at Hull. His lack of gametime over a contractual dispute didn't help, but neither does signing players used to a 3 and then shoehorning into a 2, or a 2 + a non true CM.

Guess what, a lot of foreign players are used to the 3 true CM thing, more common in modern times tactically as players grow up in decent parts of Europe and South America than here though that is now changing.

The 2 CM and trying to play attacking or 2 CM, and added and possession based in the same gameplan is flawed at decent levels. Eg, the Championship.

On 15/04/2021 at 11:24, glynriley said:

How anyone can defend that transfer policy is beyond me. 61 signings in 5 years...!! That's basically a new team every season!!!....

....and after all that, we still need a ******* new one...!! :gaah:

I gave that comment a like, but in retrospect it deserves flames.

The last line nails it, doesn't it?

You know how in seasons past you go into the summer thinking "I hope so-and-so doesn't leave and we hang on to such-and-such"? This year, with the possible exception of Bentley, I wouldn't be upset whoever left. In fact, I'd be more upset if certain wasters stay.

14 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Still that's a better decision than leaving Flint up front when beating 10 man Wolves

I’d have never put him up there in the first place....I’d have trusted our 11 in their regular spots versus their 10.  Even if we’d have come away 0-0 and failure to break them down...it would’ve been better than 1-2.

Archived