IGNORED

Gregor's Thoughts

It's such a weird world...call yourself a journalist, write a blog, do a podcast...and all of a sudden it's like they have some authority or knowledge.

At the end of the day, they are all magpies that have stolen their stories from people with more knowledge and contacts than they have. Yet they get the credit.

So funny.

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's such a weird world...call yourself a journalist, write a blog, do a podcast...and all of a sudden it's like they have some authority or knowledge.

At the end of the day, they are all magpies that have stolen their stories from people with more knowledge and contacts than they have. Yet they get the credit.

So funny.

I think interesting to get a neutral perspective as well on City and current situation with presenter being an Ipswich fan. 

I don't think Gregor is aware that majority of City fans had been critical for some time (since 16/17 slump midway through the season). His general smarmy and corporate like attitude was another factor. 

He did an ok job, there's no way that the fanbase dislike him because he is leaving to a potential rival which was suggested early on

20 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I think interesting to get a neutral perspective as well on City and current situation with presenter being an Ipswich fan. 

I don't think Gregor is aware that majority of City fans had been critical for some time (since 16/17 slump midway through the season). His general smarmy and corporate like attitude was another factor. 

He did an ok job, there's no way that the fanbase dislike him because he is leaving to a potential rival which was suggested early on

There are a few people on this forum that know way more than Gregor does and only choose to post so much...basically a lot less than they know. 

Fans picked up on the titbits about MA early doors.

There are a few astute people on here that are a good judge of character.

That is my only critiscm of SL... fantastic businessman in his genre, but imo could be a better judge of character and gives way too much trust....easily led and manipulated.

As for Gregor...young lad learning on the job. Nice enough kid. I've spoken to him a few times, he hasn't a clue who I am, and I am a nobody...but he knows less than a lot of ' amateur slewths' imo...some guarded and well chosen conversation questions proved that.

42 minutes ago, spudski said:

So funny.

And the irony is KITR pitched the story to Gregor, and other news outlets. They all said no and lost a scoop. 

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

There are a few people on this forum that know way more than Gregor does and only choose to post so much...basically a lot less than they know. 

Fans picked up on the titbits about MA early doors.

There are a few astute people on here that are a good judge of character.

That is my only critiscm of SL... fantastic businessman in his genre, but imo could be a better judge of character and gives way too much trust....easily led and manipulated.

As for Gregor...young lad learning on the job. Nice enough kid. I've spoken to him a few times, he hasn't a clue who I am, and I am a nobody...but he knows less than a lot of ' amateur slewths' imo...some guarded and well chosen conversation questions proved that.

To be fair @KITR did all the detective work and called it bang on early doors. Just brilliant IMO.

I think it's a bit unfair on Gregor.

If you didn't read what he has picked up on OTIB - you'd probably have to read up to seventy pages of posts on a new signing that doesn't sign,etc.

And FFS- where else would you find out how some babe from Grange Hill looks now?

He's like someone that blurts out the answer at a pub quiz.

4 minutes ago, tin said:

And the irony is KITR pitched the story to Gregor, and other news outlets. They all said no and lost a scoop. 

The difference is that a journalist would have to have be able to stand the story up before they run it, especially for something like this that could be commercially sensitive. Their professional reputation depends on it.

Whereas KITR or anyone else can post something on here/Twitter/Facebook etc without having to back it up and if nothing happens then it's no skin off their nose.

56 minutes ago, spudski said:

So funny.

I think that "authority or knowledge" is something you are either expecting or projecting on GmG.

I don't think he thinks he is much more than a typist that gets sent some info from time to time and he has to make a judgement call as to if he should type it up. 

59 minutes ago, spudski said:

It was ever thus.

I always felt Martin Samuel was an opinionated fraud.

6 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

The difference is that a journalist would have to have be able to stand the story up before they run it, especially for something like this that could be commercially sensitive. Their professional reputation depends on it.

Whereas KITR or anyone else can post something on here/Twitter/Facebook etc without having to back it up and if nothing happens then it's no skin off their nose.

yep, Gregor explains that doesn’t he?

1 hour ago, spudski said:

So funny.

The life of a Journalist. Hear a rumour. Go and speak to someone about it. Print story. Get paid. Repeat.

24 minutes ago, spudski said:

There are a few people on this forum that know way more than Gregor does and only choose to post so much...

It’s his job to know Spudski and as a sports journalist he has access to a plethora of ‘sources’ to form into column inches.

Like you Ive spoken with him several times and he’s a nice a enough guy, enthusiastic and keen to produce good work but still relatively inexperienced.

Again he has no idea who I am. Just another Bristol City fan like thousands of others.

24 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

To be fair @KITR did all the detective work and called it bang on early doors. Just brilliant IMO.

19 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Yep. I had the conversation with KITR back in December, where he’d briefed Gregor of this (and of SL’s desire to sell), and to be fair Gregor said it was probably something he should take to a national paper rather than himself as he knew it was too big a story for him. 
To be fair to Gregor, he knows a lot more than he lets on - I know for a fact that he knows much of the information I know, but he can’t print certain things or say certain things as he’s responsible for it and it’s his job. I can say what I like and what I know as it’s not going to impact my employment. The interview he’s given above is heavily laced with him being as nice as he can about Ashton. But I know for a fact he knows a lot more than he’s shared there. 

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep. I had the conversation with KITR back in December, where he’d briefed Gregor of this (and of SL’s desire to sell), and to be fair Gregor said it was probably something he should take to a national paper rather than himself as he knew it was too big a story for him. 
To be fair to Gregor, he knows a lot more than he lets on - I know for a fact that he knows much of the information I know, but he can’t print certain things or say certain things as he’s responsible for it and it’s his job. I can say what I like and what I know as it’s not going to impact my employment. The interview he’s given above is heavily laced with him being as nice as he can about Ashton. But I know for a fact he knows a lot more than he’s shared there. 

Interesting in the last year or so a lot has come out of Ashton gate through various avenues, I know first hand from a member incredibly close to the first team what they think of everything

people had had enough of Ashton and his cronies and they started talking

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s his job to know Spudski and as a sports journalist he has access to a plethora of ‘sources’ to form into column inches.

Like you Ive spoken with him several times and he’s a nice a enough guy, enthusiastic and keen to produce good work but still relatively inexperienced.

Again he has no idea who I am. Just another Bristol City fan like thousands of others.

Like Harry has said...he can only run with info that isn't going to bite him on the ass.

My point was that there are far more people than him itk. Some choose to share it with him or on here... others do it privately and it never becomes public knowledge.

It's a game almost. Let people think one thing...as in you haven't got a clue, and they are more likely to blabber. 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

So funny.

Pretty much same as it ever was (to paraphrase Talking Heads). The big difference is social media and now you can see the info going around the Web.

Now you can see that someone has got information from somewhere else, I imagine Gregor would then go to the Club for confirmation. 

Be grateful GMcG doesn't rely on Roy DeAlien Twitter feed for his info ?

17 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Pretty much same as it ever was (to paraphrase Talking Heads). The big difference is social media and now you can see the info going around the Web.

Now you can see that someone has got information from somewhere else, I imagine Gregor would then go to the Club for confirmation. 

Be grateful GMcG doesn't rely on Roy DeAlien Twitter feed for his info ?

Into the blue again, after the money’s gone...seems rather appropriate?

He was taking us on a road to nowhere!

28 minutes ago, Harry said:

Absolutely. What people have to bear in mind is that Gregor relies heavily on getting access to the club to be able to do his job properly, it becomes very difficult if he doesn't have a working relationship with the key people.

I'm sure in an ideal world he'd have jumped at the chance of breaking a story like that Ashton one but he has to make a judgement on whether it's worth the hassle it would cause him when trying to deal with the club.

I know the Lee Johnson era has come and gone but I will never go along with the narrative that it was successful because we progressed each year.

Each year we lost direction and from a position of strength we simply fell away. The metric was how far did we fall away each time.

I don’t view that as something to be proud of.

1 hour ago, GasDestroyer said:

Thank you, mate. Was a corker tbf, and never thought it would all happen quite as quickly as this. 

I should point out, as I did in the original post, that the Ashton to Ipswich part of the rumour did come from the Ipswich end, so this wasn't someone at Ashton Gate doing it to piss Ashton off. 

One point to make about the Ipswich guy's view of us from his outside view (albeit an educated one) is that he says we seem like a club on an upward trend.

Are we on an upward trend? I think he needs to reassess. Based on league table and market value of the squad, we're surely in decline, hence two managers sacked and a fan base that has so much contempt for the (soon to be former) CEO.

I know Gregor was trying to be more balanced, but I think he was wrong to agree that club is going in the right direction. 

8 hours ago, mozo said:

One point to make about the Ipswich guy's view of us from his outside view (albeit an educated one) is that he says we seem like a club on an upward trend.

Are we on an upward trend? I think he needs to reassess. Based on league table and market value of the squad, we're surely in decline, hence two managers sacked and a fan base that has so much contempt for the (soon to be former) CEO.

I know Gregor was trying to be more balanced, but I think he was wrong to agree that club is going in the right direction. 

Depends on which timeframe you are looking at. Where we are against say 5 years ago we are massively progressed with the infrastructure and academy now producing more talent. Football wise we have regressed the last two years but hopefully that can be addressed with a new manager/recruitment/medical team so it can change quickly.

we are well placed to kick on and Ashton takes a lot of credit for that 

Archived