IGNORED

Tonight’s results

Davefevs

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For those of you engrossed in the Ashton news, some interesting results tonight.

E3CE35D8-6F13-40DE-99E7-4034D425CBAE.jpeg.4ff64384fed2abafb643443d034f4c24.jpeg
Huge game on Thursday!

BDFCB766-926A-49A6-AD33-F5F686025252.thumb.jpeg.0bda6bb2cfe3ac8bfa59f5b5554c8eea.jpeg

It’s a little difficult to digest to see the play offs looking like that. All those clubs were in League One with us years so, some lower...

Most have overtaken us.

Sigh*

20 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Of more interest Ipswich lost, good, don't want them going up via the play-offs, Keep Ashton's new club in League 1.

Also LJ's Sunderland lost again, would be really funny if they lost out in the play-offs...

The main reason for liking those two results is the harm they do to Rovers.

24 minutes ago, Chris said:

So a draw against Wednesday on Saturday means they can’t finish above us. Rotherham need a miracle and they are playing Coventry on Thursday.

I would say it looks quite a bit better for Rotherham.  Home games against Cov and Brum on Thu and Sat.  their last 5 games look much harder though and have 4 away

23 minutes ago, Loderingo said:

I would say it looks quite a bit better for Rotherham.  Home games against Cov and Brum on Thu and Sat.  their last 5 games look much harder though and have 4 away

Surely they'll be knackered by the second half of the Coventry game.

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Of more interest Ipswich lost, good, don't want them going up via the play-offs, Keep Ashton's new club in League 1.

Also LJ's Sunderland lost again, would be really funny if they lost out in the play-offs...

Have they peaked too early and are they about to go on one of the famous Johnson family runs? Its like another Shakespearean tragedy.

7 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Yeah I think its a little out of their reach but tbf like Wycombe have given it a good go at times this season. 

Yes they have given it a good go, puts our lot to shame really, how often this season can we say that about us ? 

Anyone fancy a bet that the 3 relegated clubs from last season in the Prem will be the (so boring) 3 that return that way next month?

And then we cast our minds to June 24th when the fixtures come out and we all renew our hope; - for what, a bet, a fantasy or just a reason to complain that City arent top of the league?

Anyone else fancy a bet that Sheff U, Fulham and West Brom wont be the three teams going up next season.

Is it me or has 'rewarding the failure' of teams relegated from the Prem just made the Championship rather pointless?

Just now, Hampshire Red said:

Anyone fancy a bet that the 3 relegated clubs from last season in the Prem will be the (so boring) 3 that return that way next month?

And then we cast our minds to June 24th when the fixtures come out and we all renew our hope; - for what, a bet, a fantasy or just a reason to complain that City arent top of the league?

Anyone else fancy a bet that Sheff U, Fulham and West Brom wont be the three teams going up next season.

Is it me or has 'rewarding the failure' of teams relegated from the Prem just made the Championship rather pointless?

Completely agree and it's boring. I hope Barnsley or Brentford beat Bournemouth to it.

Parachute payments encourage teams to spend like lunatics on pretty average playing squads when they get to the prem. The fact that so many teams are relegated within one or two seasons, shows the system doesn't work.

The trouble is I don't have a clue what system would be better.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Ladapo scored 2. I liked the look of him against us. I think we were rumoured to be looking at him 2/3 seasons ago. 

Quick, strong, decent in the air and technically decent. 7th best goals per minutes ratio in championship this season.

Kind of player to play in Pearson's lone role maybe.

I watched a fair bit of Plymouth stuff when we were rumoured to be looking at him a couple of seasons back.  Got a languid style, but works the line well, can run the channels, and got decent feet. 28 now.

40 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

Parachute payments encourage teams to spend like lunatics on pretty average playing squads when they get to the prem. The fact that so many teams are relegated within one or two seasons, shows the system doesn't work.

The trouble is I don't have a clue what system would be better.

I thought it was more than it encourages teams to spend like lunatics to get to the prem so they can earn the parachute money when they then get relegated, rather than encouraging them to spend once they get there?

A large part of the issue is surely the disparity of wages between the prem and the championship. The only easy way I can think of sorting that is to enforce wage caps on the prem but can't see that being too likely.

1 hour ago, Super said:

looking at that table we clearly aren't safe.

Mathematically, no, but the results to send us down when you consider teams have to play each other (Rotherham have to play Coventry and Birmingham next two matches for a start, Birmingham also play Derby) mean that we would probably have to lose all five games. You can use words like clearly to amplify the point but the reality is anywhere between 1 and 3 points sees us safe and we might well have enough points already anyway. I'm not brushing it off as something that couldn't feasibly happen but it would be a 1 in 25 year occurrence probably and certainly not worth losing sleep over just yet. Lose our next three (which include Sheffield Wednesday and Wycombe) with other teams winning (albeit they cannot all do that when they play each other) and then it all changes.

9 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Mathematically, no, but the results to send us down when you consider teams have to play each other (Rotherham have to play Coventry and Birmingham next two matches for a start, Birmingham also play Derby) mean that we would probably have to lose all five games. You can use words like clearly to amplify the point but the reality is anywhere between 1 and 3 points sees us safe and we might well have enough points already anyway. I'm not brushing it off as something that couldn't feasibly happen but it would be a 1 in 25 year occurrence probably and certainly not worth losing sleep over just yet. Lose our next three (which include Sheffield Wednesday and Wycombe) with other teams winning (albeit they cannot all do that when they play each other) and then it all changes.

And we could actually lose all five games in fairness.

11 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Wow.

You're a bitter chap.

So in your world we're all required to say we fervently hope Sunderland are promoted this season because LJ is there or we're bitter meanies who need to be told off?

Perhaps there are those who don't particularly like Sunderland, or - horror of horrors - never particularly warmed to LJ? 

1 minute ago, Super said:

And we could actually lose all five games in fairness.

We could, you can't argue with that, although there did seem to be a little bit more effort on Saturday (the quality just isn't there and we can't do much about that) so I'll stick my neck out now and say that, as long as that lazy sod Fam is kept on the bench or out of the side altogether, we'll come away with a hard fought 4-5 points and hindsight will show that 50 points was enough anyway, but only just!!

Permission to destroy me if I get it wrong!!!!!!!

19 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

So in your world we're all required to say we fervently hope Sunderland are promoted this season because LJ is there or we're bitter meanies who need to be told off?

Perhaps there are those who don't particularly like Sunderland, or - horror of horrors - never particularly warmed to LJ? 

Personally I have a whole host of random teams, managers, and players I do or don't want to do well each year. There's not much rhyme or reason to it... maybe they just acted like a prat when we played them one year, or they played for us and I never liked them, or it's just random and I couldn't tell you why.

It's pantomime stuff because a bit of rivalry in football is good fun... for that reason I'll be watching out for Sunderland and part of me will be hoping they don't get promoted. Doesn't mean I hate LJ or desperately want him to fail, just a bit of fun in my opinion. I don't even really dislike the bloke!

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Forgive me Dave for not finding these results “interesting” as a fan of the club in 14th place ...

If only the title of the post had been more descriptive, you could have avoided a discussion about last nights results...

Archived