IGNORED

Recruitment for Summer 2021

Harry

10 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

For me, ostigaard and mcguinnes at cb would be good. I would still love it if we brought back benkovic however.

matt Jay to replace the hopefully outgoing pato

jephcott or humphries to replace fam

matt james if we don’t re-sign walsh although sign matt James anyway.

callum Brittain to replace hunt if Barnsley don’t go up is my preference but cost could be high but alternatives could be re-sign sessegnon On loan or I would like us to loan laird with a view to buy. Highly rated at united and although not yet top champ quality, could quickly get there so get in whilst value is low.

On paper that type of recruitment would feel like a huge step back in the right direction.

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

To be honest, I use them to get a feel for strengths and weaknesses compared to others.  I don’t lose too much sleep if someone makes 2 passes more p90 than someone else, mainly looking for outliers.  Plus as I said you have to take team style into account too.

You could have two CBs where one is the ball winner and one drops off, so it’s a back up to the eye in the main.

Obviously, if you’re looking at players you’ve never seen, e.g. from another country it’s a useful starting point.

Been having a quick look at Matt Jay tonight.  He’s having a great season.  These are filtered on 25 and under, who’ve played 1000mins+

21454029-F474-4804-A9AA-548D8549178B.jpeg

2EF4188C-D909-4F43-8788-F1D8373211C0.jpeg

CDA23FC6-54FE-4945-8ACC-22F34FC17735.jpeg

Hell yeah - Matt is having a fantastic season. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Hiya. Yes, I do like Whatmough. He’s someone who was brought to our attention back in 12/13 when we first started scouting Webster & Wallace at Pompey - he was coming through the academy at the same time. 
I believe he’s ooc this year but he’s had a few serious knee injuries from memory, so is probably someone I wouldn’t take a gamble on, but I’d imagine he’ll find himself in the Champ next season. 

Similar-ish time I brought Conor Chaplin to your attention! Was still in Pompey's youth team, now playing games for a team in the Championship play offs. Who'd have thought! 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Similar-ish time I brought Conor Chaplin to your attention! Was still in Pompey's youth team, now playing games for a team in the Championship play offs. Who'd have thought! 

He’d have been a very interesting consideration for Bobby Reid when he left, maybe not straight away.  At Barnsley he’s often been asked to work hard away from the middle of the pitch, and therefore doesn’t get into scoring positions.  Not been getting much game time since they brought in Carlton Morris.

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@Harry now built my Lg1 Defender Dashboard, so I thought I’d add your suggestions, Ballard, Moore, Tucker and Burke together with a couple / few mentioned by others, McGuiness, Williams and Atkinson.

Summary:

85110377-1DD4-4DEA-84A3-1EA85A1276CF.thumb.png.6238a55aab35423a77d0afcf7ebfba38.png
Good goal contributions from Moore and Burke, whilst Ballard has 2 in 17.

Defensive:

EF5BEBCA-B6AF-498B-8DB1-1AC0DBA791FE.thumb.png.cdd2bd1e7c63e0322615144abfec8802.png
Ballard, McGuinness and Moore high up on number of duels, all 7 bar Ballard win a good share of aerials.  Not gonna add much to the discussion re fouls and cards.  They’re CBS, what do you expect!

Tackling / Interceptions:

C21CA604-E879-4B79-A514-068BCCB01C5B.thumb.png.c688b7ec4bec2c5c73475f7a31156df7.png
McGuinness the one who slide tackles significantly more than the others, and more than division average.  Sane for interceptions.  Is that down to his style, e.g. plays on the edge of his team?  They are all above average in blocks bar Moore.  Some might see that as a good thing.  Received passes probably highlights team style more than the player himself.

Passing:

0715E5D1-A445-4BFA-AAF4-F560563AEBF3.thumb.png.6bf98570dda5d4e761dd9eefe6edca98.png
pretty much all comfortable, progressive passers except Tucker (Gills rumoured long ball approach).

Scatter: Duels vs Wins

1AEF4445-AE4B-4A41-9C62-D0B1D3FC9B1F.thumb.png.75bd99e74a89927662dee58ab34d098b.png
Shout, if anyone has any Qs.

Just thought it would be good to compare against each other.

Cheers Dave. Williams is a more all around than I thought. Atkinson looks like the type we need. 

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@Harry now built my Lg1 Defender Dashboard, so I thought I’d add your suggestions, Ballard, Moore, Tucker and Burke together with a couple / few mentioned by others, McGuiness, Williams and Atkinson.

Summary:

85110377-1DD4-4DEA-84A3-1EA85A1276CF.thumb.png.6238a55aab35423a77d0afcf7ebfba38.png

Defensive:

EF5BEBCA-B6AF-498B-8DB1-1AC0DBA791FE.thumb.png.cdd2bd1e7c63e0322615144abfec8802.png
Ballard, McGuinness and Moore high up on number of duels, all 7 bar Ballard win a good share of aerials.  Not gonna add much to the discussion re fouls and cards.  They’re CBS, what do you expect!

C21CA604-E879-4B79-A514-068BCCB01C5B.thumb.png.c688b7ec4bec2c5c73475f7a31156df7.png
McGuinness the one who slide tackles significantly more than the others, and more than division average.  Sane for interceptions.  Is that down to his style, e.g. plays on the edge of his team?  They are all above average in blocks bar Moore.  Some might see that as a good thing.  Received passes probably highlights team style more than the player himself.

Passing:

0715E5D1-A445-4BFA-AAF4-F560563AEBF3.thumb.png.6bf98570dda5d4e761dd9eefe6edca98.png
pretty much all comfortable, progressive passers except Tucker (Gills rumoured long ball approach).

1AEF4445-AE4B-4A41-9C62-D0B1D3FC9B1F.thumb.png.75bd99e74a89927662dee58ab34d098b.png

Just thought it would be good to compare against each other.

Cheers Dave. Williams is a more all around than I thought. Atkinson looks like the type we need imo. 

19 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Summary:

Defensive:

Passing:

Just thought it would be good to compare against each 

Making a start on a few Spreadsheet with a variety of metrics- will post here when done, one of the trickier bits is ascertaining how hamstrung players who play in one of the top 2 Divisions- mainly Championship- but are out of contract and foreign- will be impacted by the Brexit regs.

There are decent players who fall into this category- within a reasonable age range and who might not be too expensive- who might be free agents come the Summer. Some are unclear though, as to whether there has been an extension or not.

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Making a start on a few Spreadsheet with a variety of metrics- will post here when done, one of the trickier bits is ascertaining how hamstrung players who play in one of the top 2 Divisions- mainly Championship- but are out of contract and foreign- will be impacted by the Brexit regs.

There are decent players who fall into this category- within a reasonable age range and who might not be too expensive- who might be free agents come the Summer. Some are unclear though, as to whether there has been an extension or not.

Tend to find that if you Google the players name & “contract” that it has been reported locally if they have now done so.

Obvious example being that perpetual favourite on here Barry Bannan, recently signed a new one at Sheff Wednesday but lots of websites still say he is OoC this summer, whereas local paper & Sheffield Wednesday website have reported it.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Tend to find that if you Google the players name & “contract” that it has been reported locally if they have now done so.

Obvious example being that perpetual favourite on here Barry Bannan, recently signed a new one at Sheff Wednesday but lots of websites still say he is OoC this summer, whereas local paper & Sheffield Wednesday website have reported it.

Thanks, even doping that though you get some contradictory info- knew about Bannan but e.g. Smith and Cook at Bournemouth, Femenia and Kabasele at Watford- fine players but their contractual status very much up in the air. Sometimes clubs don't disclose the length either.

Also think we should be putting together a spreadsheet of loan targets for either straight loan or loan to buy.

pearson mentioned about being ‘clever’ in the market and nowadays, that usually stems around loans with an option to buy. Try before you buy or walk away essentially which could be fairly low on cost but potentially highly rewarding.

consider target like:

reiss nelson

Hamza Chowdhury

filip Benkovic

Eddie Nketiah (dare I say)
folarin Balogun

harvey elliott

Ethan Laird

di’shon Bernard

aliou Traore 

tenden mengi

James garner

neco Williams 

xavier mbuyamba

dujon sterling
billy Gilmour
tino anjorin

charly Musonda

taylor harwood-bellis

cole palmer

jayden braaf

liam delap

manynof the above are only loan potentials but there are the odd one or two unlikely to get much first team but are old enough to want to make a career of themselves and not rot in development football so a loan to buy if promoted for example could be an option.

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He’d have been a very interesting consideration for Bobby Reid when he left, maybe not straight away.  At Barnsley he’s often been asked to work hard away from the middle of the pitch, and therefore doesn’t get into scoring positions.  Not been getting much game time since they brought in Carlton Morris.

Chaplin really impressed me at AG last season. Nimble and quick and a constant threat.

@Mr Popodopolous

So, what do you need:

Filter based on?

Contract Expiry: 2021-06-30 or blank

Nationality: Non-English (I can do birth country and passport country)

League: Champ and League 1

Any age?

Minutes played? Matches played?

Anything else.

My Wyscout data uses contract and value from Transfermarkt, so will not be 100% accurate.

Happily send you an excel via email if you like.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@Mr Popodopolous

So, what do you need:

Filter based on?

Contract Expiry: 2021-06-30 or blank

Nationality: Non-English (I can do birth country and passport country)

League: Champ and League 1

Any age?

Minutes played? Matches played?

Anything else.

My Wyscout data uses contract and value from Transfermarkt, so will not be 100% accurate.

Happily send you an excel via email if you like.

Hi Dave. Mainly a Google Sheet atm that I'm using and yeah am using Transfermarkt as well- as well as some random research sources.

Got most of those already albeit under slightly different categories in some cases, suppose my main difficulties are working out in terms of foreign players, which of them might pose a problem with the Brexit regs...found a few factsheets but still a work in progress, I know that British and Irish won't be, but Points and eligibility for foreign albeit domestic based free agents can be trickier.

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hi Dave. Mainly a Google Sheet atm that I'm using and yeah am using Transfermarkt as well- as well as some random research sources.

Got most of those already albeit under slightly different categories in some cases, suppose my main difficulties are working out in terms of foreign players, which of them might pose a problem with the Brexit regs...found a few factsheets but still a work in progress, I know that British and Irish won't be, but Points and eligibility for foreign albeit domestic based free agents can be trickier.

According to Wyscout there are 493 players in the Champ and Lg1 who are out of contract this summer, inc UK and Irish.  Make that 492, Bannan’s data isn’t updated!

16 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Would add Morgan Rogers who is on loan at Lincoln this year from Man City as a possible loanee next season. Think he will be off to Championship team next season. A real talent.

Good suggestion GDL. The lad ManC got from WBA. I saw him a couple years back for EngU18 & was quality, playing 1/2 yrs above his age group at the time. Done really well at Lincoln this season. I wouldn’t normally want us to sign a 18yr old on loan as would rather see Scott, Benarous etc given a chance but as you say Rogers is a real talent & can play midfield & uptop. 

19 hours ago, BOSRed said:

Also think we should be putting together a spreadsheet of loan targets for either straight loan or loan to buy.

pearson mentioned about being ‘clever’ in the market and nowadays, that usually stems around loans with an option to buy. Try before you buy or walk away essentially which could be fairly low on cost but potentially highly rewarding.

consider target like:

reiss nelson

Hamza Chowdhury

filip Benkovic

Eddie Nketiah (dare I say)
folarin Balogun

harvey elliott

Ethan Laird

di’shon Bernard

aliou Traore 

tenden mengi

James garner

neco Williams 

xavier mbuyamba

dujon sterling
billy Gilmour
tino anjorin

charly Musonda

taylor harwood-bellis

cole palmer

jayden braaf

liam delap

manynof the above are only loan potentials but there are the odd one or two unlikely to get much first team but are old enough to want to make a career of themselves and not rot in development football so a loan to buy if promoted for example could be an option.

Good list and reckon a few could even be had for the right fee but tough for a championship club to maybe secure them that route. I would add Hannibal Mejbri to that list but like some players on the list he may end up getting minutes for his club next season. 

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

According to Wyscout there are 493 players in the Champ and Lg1 who are out of contract this summer, inc UK and Irish.  Make that 492, Bannan’s data isn’t updated!

Thanks- I've been filtering those I think might be reasonable targets but not entirely unrealistic- looking at PL and Championship- Brexit and status is the one for me I'm not yet able to get in terms of foreign ones who play here.

Schlupp e.g.- unclear if he'll be out of contract but he is experienced, yet not too old and has played under Pearson- from Ghana so if he's out of contract- I dunno but he's played here for years and that kinda thing is hard to ascertain.

23 hours ago, BOSRed said:

Hamza Chowdhury

No I wouldn't do that to yourselves, wouldn't start over Massengo and someone's Jack Russell would be a better option for games he would play. Hopefully some lowly PL side will stump up a bit of cash for him to warm their bench and make a mistake for a goal any game he starts. 

Matty James is an absolute gimme surely. Out of contract in the summer, had a great relationship with NP, and is exactly the type of player you need from the little I've seen. In the game against Cov, he might not have ended up the MotM or even the best performance on the day but he looked far classier than anything else on the pitch (albeit the standard wasn't high).

His injury at the end of the great escape season was likely the only reason he wasn't next to Kante in the title winning season. Even back to their Man Utd youth days, he was always considered to be ahead of Drinkwater . A horrible run of injuries really stopped him cementing himself as a good PL midfielder, it's telling that Puel and Rodgers rated him but he just physically can't do the PL now/age means he won't get the chance. 

27 minutes ago, Ostrich said:

No I wouldn't do that to yourselves, wouldn't start over Massengo and someone's Jack Russell would be a better option for games he would play. Hopefully some lowly PL side will stump up a bit of cash for him to warm their bench and make a mistake for a goal any game he starts. 

Matty James is an absolute gimme surely. Out of contract in the summer, had a great relationship with NP, and is exactly the type of player you need from the little I've seen. In the game against Cov, he might not have ended up the MotM or even the best performance on the day but he looked far classier than anything else on the pitch (albeit the standard wasn't high).

His injury at the end of the great escape season was likely the only reason he wasn't next to Kante in the title winning season. Even back to their Man Utd youth days, he was always considered to be ahead of Drinkwater . A horrible run of injuries really stopped him cementing himself as a good PL midfielder, it's telling that Puel and Rodgers rated him but he just physically can't do the PL now/age means he won't get the chance. 

Thought was Summer 2022 though I agree with all you say on him and take your word for it as to how injuries held him back- past relationship with Pearson, and final year of contract could mean a loan or a cheapish fee? Similar age to Lansbury but seems to have had quite a bit more gametime in recent years.

Ah of course you're right- on this occasion Transfermarkt is incorrect. Yes a no-brainer if available and Pearson gets the job to make a pitch for James.

8 hours ago, BOSRed said:

Luke thomas from Leicester would be a good loan if Rowe, pring and nurse are deemed not good enough given age

Good shout. 
I didn’t really focus too much on left backs on my main list as I think for next season (barring injuries) we’re set fair with JD & Pring. 
If we are to sign any defenders I’d much rather it be 2 x CB’s and 2 x RB’s before we even think about LB. 

These 2 both have 2 years in their contracts and are now 23 years of age so next season they both need an injury free campaign and to really hit their straps. Rotation of both should keep them fit. Same as I think 2 new RB’s should be rotational. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Good shout. 
I didn’t really focus too much on left backs on my main list as I think for next season (barring injuries) we’re set fair with JD & Pring. 
If we are to sign any defenders I’d much rather it be 2 x CB’s and 2 x RB’s before we even think about LB. 

These 2 both have 2 years in their contracts and are now 23 years of age so next season they both need an injury free campaign and to really hit their straps. Rotation of both should keep them fit. Same as I think 2 new RB’s should be rotational. 

My hunch at RB is that Pearson might want to keep Simpson around.

Experienced, knows him well & realistically a squad player, but not a definite first choice.

As I expect Hunt to depart that leaves us looking for a younger (ideally around 24) decent prospect to compete with Simpson, someone like Matthew Olosunde at Rotherham, who is out of contract.

10 hours ago, BOSRed said:

Luke thomas from Leicester would be a good loan if Rowe, pring and nurse are deemed not good enough given age

I'd be surprised if he was allowed to leave, he was supposed to go out on loan to the Championship this year but he ended up staying around and has made a good number of appearances. A loan spell would do him some good, we'd need to sign a LB for him to leave, given Justin will be out into next season and Fuchs will likely leave.

7 hours ago, GrahamC said:

My hunch at RB is that Pearson might want to keep Simpson around.

Experienced, knows him well & realistically a squad player, but not a definite first choice.

As I expect Hunt to depart that leaves us looking for a younger (ideally around 24) decent prospect to compete with Simpson, someone like Matthew Olosunde at Rotherham, who is out of contract.

My concern with older outfield players, especially in terms of CB, Forwards and I guess full backs would also apply in this instance.

Getting higher, pressing higher up the pitch, it's harder when you have outfield players over 30.

Nyambe and Olusunde eg, that'd be very interesting and both of a strong age range.

Subject to contractual and Brexit position, Nyambe and one of Femenia/Smith (Watford and Bournemouth RB respectively) that would be high calibre as a pair of RBs, yet not too old to get high up the pitch, good technically etc. The competition levels there would be excellent.

Have half wondered about Dalsgaard as one of the two but he'd be 32 next season so perhaps not (plus Brexit considerations). Lots of reports suggest he's available on a free ie contract expires in Summer but he'd turn 32 in July, I dunno...

34 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

My concern with older outfield players, especially in terms of CB, Forwards and I guess full backs would also apply in this instance.

Getting higher, pressing higher up the pitch, it's harder when you have outfield players over 30.

Nyambe and Olusunde eg, that'd be very interesting and both of a strong age range.

Totally agree, just think Pearson won’t have loads of money to play with & has probably already identified the lack of leaders/winners in the squad.

I could be completely wrong of course but just have a feeling he’ll bring in a first choice RB to replace Hunt this summer & keep Simpson on as cover.

Interestingly when he came on as a sub for his debut v Stoke he filled in at LB, so he can also play there if absolutely necessary.

An overview provided by Nige in various interviews is that City currently lack enough leaders on the pitch and that there’s a lack of a team reaction particularly when things aren’t going well.

How does Nige change those issues?

Well......he may not have to should  he be here next season. He’ll hopefully have a fully fit squad with the likes of Weimann , CoD, Dasilva, Martin, possibly Walsh and Williams available. With these guys at his disposal certainly two or three will provide leadership on the pitch.

Nige may have enough financial wriggle room with the vacancies created by those OOC and have have idea of who he’d like to bring in to enhance the squad - players he’s worked with previously.

So.......I don’t look at the current available squad and think “we need a LB, CMD” or any other position given the numbers of fit players will be available at the start of next season.

A very loose list- not really name specific in-bound. Thinking it could be a 2-3 year process, big change doesn't often hit the ground running.

IN:

1. 2 x RB
  2. 2 x CB
  3. 1 CM- James maybe?
  4. AM who can pull wider- Rothwell perhaps?
  5. 1 LW- Reach?
  6. 1 FW

Out:

1. Adelakun
  2. Baker
  3. Diedhiou
  4. Gilmartin
  5. Hunt
  6. Lansbury
  7. Mariappa
  8. Rowe
  9. Simpson
  10. Watkins

Loan expires- Sessegnon.

Walsh, Weimann and even Paterson I'm unsure on- maybe no need to double up if you could get someone like Reach on a free, but Walsh and Weimann- assets? (If fit). Clearly fitness heavily caveats those out of contract...if the chances are they will be heavily injured again or similar then we can't afford that.

Archived