IGNORED

Recruitment for Summer 2021

Harry

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A very loose list- not really name specific in-bound. Thinking it could be a 2-3 year process, big change doesn't often hit the ground running.

IN:

1. 2 x RB
  2. 2 x CB
  3. 1 CM- James maybe?
  4. AM who can pull wider- Rothwell perhaps?
  5. 1 LW- Reach?
  6. 1 FW

Out:

1. Adelakun
  2. Baker
  3. Diedhiou
  4. Gilmartin
  5. Hunt
  6. Lansbury
  7. Mariappa
  8. Rowe
  9. Simpson
  10. Watkins

Loan expires- Sessegnon.

Walsh, Weimann and even Paterson I'm unsure on- maybe no need to double up if you could get someone like Reach on a free, but Walsh and Weimann- assets? (If fit). Clearly fitness heavily caveats those out of contract...if the chances are they will be heavily injured again or similar then we can't afford that.

Pretty sure Wollacott’s deal is up, too.

I have a hunch that Simpson will stay if Pearson does. Talked a lot about a lack of leaders & talkers & even if he is a squad player to another RB, just have a feeling he’ll keep him on.

For me we certainly need a RB, CB, CM, wide midfielder & mobile main striker.

After that it depends on who we are keeping on.

Said it before, but struggling to make a good case for keeping anyone OoC bar Weimann.

In addition I would tell Moore, Nagy & Palmer they all could go if we got a sensible offer.

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Clearly fitness heavily caveats those out of contract...if the chances are they will be heavily injured again or similar then we can't afford that.

I know we need to improve the medical team, but I'm not sure it's realistic to expect mind readers, who can tell when someone's going to get a whack...

Still an ongoing process and clearly there's only so much you can find out contractually in the public domain- Powell a good example given a number of outlets intimated he was a free agent this Summer!

Still. Happy to take feedback, make changes- especially on the Brexit regs as I've certainly not read up on them much as far as Football goes.

image.thumb.png.fcc2064c87a97e86041651798f0dc4bc.png

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

One thing that I think may be important is signing players who haven't been injured a lot this season.

Many of our squad hopefully will be back fit, but they have suffered long term injuries.

Bringing in more like that would hardly seem to be doing all we can to make our squad more robust.

For example someone like Iorfa at the back I'd like, but he's missed most of the season.

Of course anyone can get injured at any time. But it would seem a bit of a risk.

NP said earlier this week. The main reason we’ve got the injuries is down to a lack of overall fitness to cope with the championship . 

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Still an ongoing process and clearly there's only so much you can find out contractually in the public domain- Powell a good example given a number of outlets intimated he was a free agent this Summer!

Still. Happy to take feedback, make changes- especially on the Brexit regs as I've certainly not read up on them much as far as Football goes.

image.thumb.png.fcc2064c87a97e86041651798f0dc4bc.png

Good article.

https://worldfootballindex.com/2020/12/work-permits-premier-league-post-brexit-english-clubs-efl-libertadores/

Champ is Band 2….virtually guaranteed WP pass, if they played 1 game!

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

One thing that I think may be important is signing players who haven't been injured a lot this season.

Many of our squad hopefully will be back fit, but they have suffered long term injuries.

Bringing in more like that would hardly seem to be doing all we can to make our squad more robust.

For example someone like Iorfa at the back I'd like, but he's missed most of the season.

Of course anyone can get injured at any time. But it would seem a bit of a risk.

I've been thinking about this...

We seem to be assessing the strength of our 2021-22 squad as though Weimann, Williams and Walsh are back to their best.

By August, these three will have played next to no competitive football in the space of 18 months. 

Are we confident then that they can shift straight into gear? 

On 18/04/2021 at 16:57, Robbored said:

An overview provided by Nige in various interviews is that City currently lack enough leaders on the pitch and that there’s a lack of a team reaction particularly when things aren’t going well.

How does Nige change those issues?

Well......he may not have to should  he be here next season. He’ll hopefully have a fully fit squad with the likes of Weimann , CoD, Dasilva, Martin, possibly Walsh and Williams available. With these guys at his disposal certainly two or three will provide leadership on the pitch.

Nige may have enough financial wriggle room with the vacancies created by those OOC and have have idea of who he’d like to bring in to enhance the squad - players he’s worked with previously.

So.......I don’t look at the current available squad and think “we need a LB, CMD” or any other position given the numbers of fit players will be available at the start of next season.

I don’t see any of those you mention as leaders, bar Williams (not seen enough of him). 

With the retained list announced and a clear picture of the 2021/22 squad, it's time to ressurect this excellent thread. 

NP wants to work with a reduced squad of around 25. IMO, it's clear we need:

• RB x 1 (maybe two if Simpson doesn't renew)
  • CB x 2
  • DM x 1 
  • WF x 2
  • ST x 1

There's no guarantee the likes of Bentley, Kalas and Semenyo will be here when the transfer window closes. Palmer's name should be circulated, so 7-11 new signings required as a bare minimum this summer. 

42 minutes ago, tin said:

With the retained list announced and a clear picture of the 2021/22 squad, it's time to ressurect this excellent thread. 

• CB x 2
  • DM x 1 
  • WF x 2
  • ST x 1

There's no guarantee the likes of Bentley, Kalas and Semenyo will be here when the transfer window closes. Palmer's name should be circulated, so 7-11 new signings required as a bare minimum this summer. 

Think RB will be Vyner and Simpson….and therefore focus will be on the spine.

40 minutes ago, tin said:

• CB x 2
  • DM x 1 
  • WF x 2
  • ST x 1

Think there is little chance of Simpson not renewing, he will be delighted to have been offered a contract.

My guess would be if no one else left, we are looking at 2 centre backs, a wide midfielder, an experienced central midfielder & a centre forward as priorities.

I think Vyner will compete with Simpson at RB & Pearson will want a proper look at Pring before deciding if he is good enough to cover Dasilva at LB.

Our midfield options are Williams aside, pretty inexperienced & although Weimann, O’Dowda & Semenyo (if still here) can all play wide, we will want another option.

Up front even with Martin back we need to replace Diedhiou.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Think RB will be Vyner and Simpson….and therefore focus will be on the spine.

I think you might be right. He certainly has the engine to play RB, and he's never filled me with confidence at CB or CM. Whatever position he ends up in, he needs to make it his own. 

There must be a question mark about the left back position, especially as it was highlighted by Gary Owers on Monday night saying that with Dasilva's lack of size opposing teams will look to stick a tall player on the left post to cause problems. That is why we need to sign a left sided defender to replace Rowe. 

I’d love to see us try and sign the likes of Ronan Curtis from Pompey…. Seeing as they now have another season in league 1.

Very attacking tricky left winger, does suffer with the red mist occasionally though. Not that Nige doesn’t either ??

I've heard that Whatmough from Pompey is signing on a free.   Add him to Kalas, Cundy, Moore and we still need another option, maybe a left footer? I keep banging on about Hyam at Coventry...

Agree that Vyner seems like a Pearson kind of RB.  If we have JD on the other side, the RB has to be tall.

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

I've heard that Whatmough from Pompey is signing on a free.   Add him to Kalas, Cundy, Moore and we still need another option, maybe a left footer? I keep banging on about Hyam at Coventry...

Agree that Vyner seems like a Pearson kind of RB.  If we have JD on the other side, the RB has to be tall.

I'd be in for Rotherham's Matt Olosunde like a shot, personally. Ryan Nyambe at Blackburn would be my first choice but that's unlikely as he has the option of another year. At 6"1, 23 years old, out of contract and with Rotherham going down, Olosunde would be an excellent free (maybe compo) signing IMO. 

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

Coventry activated the clause in Hyam’s contract, so expect him to stay there.

Not convinced Moore will still be here in August, myself.

Agree that Vyner is probably earmarked for RB, which with Simpson as the alternative then looks sorted.

On 14/04/2021 at 08:37, Carey 6 said:

Some very decent names on that list. Going to take a look at Knight because he sounds like exactly what we need at the back. 

I've mentioned on the transfer forum previously I like the look of Twine, as you've said he can really strike a ball & he sort of reminds me of Hourihane

In your 10 I notice you've not named a winger, I think we'll definitely be going out and getting 1 or 2 this summer. 

I remember after watching that Shrewsbury game I thought Giles stood out, he's been at Rotherham and not got the best stats but it is his first season at the level. Can't imagine he'd be on a massive wage either so wouldn't be against taking him on loan next season as mentioned. 

I know he's a bit older at the age of 27, but Pelly Ruddock Mpanzu is someone I think we should seriously consider. He's played 80 odd games at this level in the past two seasons, and impressed me whenever we've played Luton. 

Another player I'd like to mention to others is Anthony Scully at Lincoln. He's a winger but he drifts inside quite a bit. I can't say I've seen massive amounts of him, but from the little I have, he looks very good. It's his first season playing League/cup football and he's got 13 goals & 8 assists in 44 appearances (all comps) Hopefully gets another few against the Gas saturday!

He's perhaps one for next summer because as you said when I mentioned him to you, he's under contract for another 2 years.

He scored against the Gas that Saturday by the way! Love to see it. 

Playing tonight for Lincoln in the play-offs. Keep an eye out!

On 14/05/2021 at 14:05, The Bard said:

Good call this if true.

11 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Wonder if Coventry will emerge as an important link over the next few weeks as they are likely to be interested in Walsh and apparently Baker, while we are allegedly keen on James.

James is a Leicester player….in fact he’s been released, so he’s got no links at all.

On 14/04/2021 at 08:37, Carey 6 said:

I remember after watching that Shrewsbury game I thought Giles stood out, he's been at Rotherham and not got the best stats but it is his first season at the level. Can't imagine he'd be on a massive wage either so wouldn't be against taking him on loan next season as mentioned. 

@Harry Just signed for Cardiff on loan. Intrigued to see how he gets on. 

Archived