IGNORED

Holden at Stoke

fatchers

1 hour ago, Hampshire Red said:

Agree with Super (for a change!) Obviously a good assistant to Lee J, made the most of his first attempt at being boss, taking the same players we seem happy to consider 'useless' to a respectable place this season before the crippling injuries finally caught him out.

Good luck Deano and he'll get a good reception at BS3, as most previous managers do.

He did very well to get them to where he did until injuries AND A NUMBER OF SENIOR PLAYERS THROWING IN THE TOWEL killed him. The job to turn the club around is a difficult and long winded process and would simply have been too massive for Holden at this stage of his career (no experience to fall back on). They aren't great players though to be honest, firstly because they have this questionable attitude and secondly they get outplayed almost every week, even when we win. I think most fans have enough upstairs to know the score with Dean and I agree with you that he will get nothing but a good reception when he returns. Even the vast majority of those that wanted him out didn't really resort to personal comments/attacks. Some did give him personal abuse but that will be the case as long as there are football forums and football teams lose two games in a row!! 

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

At worst I'm guessing we may have to pay him any difference between his contract with us and his contract with Stoke until one year is up if he's on less dosh there.

Btw, good luck to him. He was entitled to go for our job but even in his wildest dreams couldn't have expected the Owner to put him in there. He just proved in the end that he wasn't really up to the top job just yet but that shouldn't make him unemployable and clearly hasn't.

I wish him well. But it was  very poor judgement on his part to take such a big job at that point in his career. Hopefully he has learned that lesson now and can move on. 

Just now, Redrascal2 said:

I wish him well. But it was  very poor judgement on his part to take such a big job at that point in his career. Hopefully he has learned that lesson now and can move on. 

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if he saw it as a "punt" with no real hope of getting it and if nothing else at least he has got some solid interview experience for a Managers job.............the rest, as they say, is history. To refuse a job after doing the interview would have been a strange one although he did want a weekend to "think about it"!!

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I really don't like Stoke at all, so can't wish them success, and I didn't see much evidence Dean is a 'great coach' in his time at AG.

Hard not to like him though and on a personal level I wish him well.

Still sulking from the Autoglass Final defeat? 

Meh.

Fair play for getting a position so quickly, and one that fits well with him (family wise). At least he's accepted that assistant manager/coach is his role - could well be the next Keith Millen who went on to coach in the Prem at Palace (think he may have took charge at one point?)

I'd be surprised if we heard the name Dean Holden manages *Insert Club Name* to the title/Cup though. 

Still feel that when Johnson was sacked the whole lot of them should have gone as well - Holden included - because collectively they were offering little towards the end. That then repeated itself when he took charge.

Good luck to him. He should never have been put in the position he was at this football club but nobody can blame him for taking on the role.
As others have said this role will suit him much better, hopefully he can make it as a successful head coach / manager at some stage in his career.

Markcarter, the evidence is that stayed with Lee Johnson for all that time, and, as i said at the time the partnership was broken by SL/MA, we have to be very happy what we wish for as City fans and the results (away from home and cup runs in particular) and final table positions under LJ/DH are quite likely to be better than we see for any future consequtive 4 years.

The 'Anti-brigade' (some of whom go to matches home and away) didnt believe me then, may not believe me now, despite DN and NP Appointments, but 4 years in the top half of the Championship is absolutely not to be sneezed at for a club like ours-there will be many bigger clubs below that level of consistent performance come the end of each season

12 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

At worst I'm guessing we may have to pay him any difference between his contract with us and his contract with Stoke until one year is up if he's on less dosh there.

Btw, good luck to him. He was entitled to go for our job but even in his wildest dreams couldn't have expected the Owner to put him in there. He just proved in the end that he wasn't really up to the top job just yet but that shouldn't make him unemployable and clearly hasn't.

Totally agree, I think its proven since his departure that even with the experience that NP has, with this group it's a difficult form to turn around.

Anyhow I wish him & his family all the very best in the future.

Good luck to him (except vs us). Job might suit him better than manager.

Stoke fans, some of them anyway were full of praise for our display up there in September- high praise indeed by one! The injuries didn't help him in his final few months here, not one bit.

If we could play like he had Bristol City playing that day we’d be doing well. It was high tempo in your face stuff, a bit like Beilsa had Leeds playing. Obviously the squad he had couldn’t sustain it, otherwise he’d still be in a job there and they’d be in the promotion mix. They bossed the game from start to finish and looked like they were in for a tremendous season, were top of the league for a bit with Reading.

Another thing that is clear as well, is since he left BC they’ve got worse not better!

BM

First half moreso IMO.

didn't Bristol City also pick up quite a lot of injuries?

I think 16 players injured or something ridiculous like that according to a friend who has been a season ticket holder there for many years. Maybe the high tempo game he tried to employ did for them?

BM

Interesting post further down the thread too.

I keep reading that Holden is a manager in waiting for when Michael eventually moves on.

I must admit I know diddly squat about the guy. Is he any good? What type of football philosophy does he have etc etc?

Forum talk perhaps but the idea comes up a few times.

On 14/04/2021 at 10:59, Meltonjohn said:

Still sulking from the Autoglass Final defeat? 

No, I still bear a grudge from me and my brother being attacked by about 15 Stoke fans on the Cumberland Basin about 40 years ago.

I've thought ever since that your club has a higher proportion of cowardly wan*ers following it than most.

22 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

This is interesting:

Probably what he had to take the weekend to think about, head coach at city or working at stoke closer to his family. Remember everyone questioning why he needed to take the weekend to think about it.

18 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

This is interesting:

Reading Holden’s and O’Neil’s comments on this it’s clear that no-one in football except for the person(s) who appointed Dean as Head Coach thought for even a second it was the right time in his career to be stepping into a role like that. 

Archived