IGNORED

On this day in 2015...

Silvio Dante

This has been posted by the club today, but what I also found interesting was looking at the table after the game (below). One of the things we criticise for is a lack of progression, and clubs overtaking us. The table suggests only one club has overtaken us when you think about the collective of squad, infrastructure and league position. We’ve undoubtedly improved off the pitch since that day - and despite our current malaise, it has to be remembered that squad were in the relegation zone the next season (cue Maguire/Gray comments). 

So, is it not that we’ve not developed/been overtaken - but that we’ve not gone quickly enough?

1673A078-8D06-4A79-A0D3-F16DF4B0E492.jpeg

Other than Sheff Utd none of those clubs had a bigger fanbase or better infrastructure than us at that time (or now).  
Sheff Utd started behind us but are ahead now. 
the giants of Barnsley are also ahead of us now. Preston, as ever, are neck and neck with us despite half the fanbase. 
My take is we’ve done ok, have modernised the ground (which had become essential)... but we are in grave danger of following a pattern that could see us slide back down over the next few years. 
A better view of teams passing us is the list of clubs to have appeared in the prem whilst we’ve flitted between tier 2 and 3 for 40+ years. 

• Admin

I was watching UB40 at the Colston Hall that night, I had some very odd stares celebrating the goals going in.

I was reliant on text messages due to a poor WiFi signal and spent most of the night thinking I was being wound up

To this day the best decision I’ve ever made. That decision was a last minute one to drive up to Bradford at 4:00pm for a 7:45 kick off!

Missed the first two minutes but boy I didn’t miss those 6 goals?

Memorable night that will live with me forever. Bradford fans were top class too despite getting pumped!

37 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

James Tavernier in that side, always felt it was such a shame we didn't get him permanently. I appreciate it's SPL, but he's done really well for Rangers. 

We’re Bristol City, we’re not meant to have decent RB’s...

How we dealt with both Ayling and Tavernier was pretty poor. 

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

To this day the best decision I’ve ever made. That decision was a last minute one to drive up to Bradford at 4:00pm for a 7:45 kick off!

Missed the first two minutes but boy I didn’t miss those 6 goals?

Memorable night that will live with me forever. Bradford fans were top class too despite getting pumped!

Fully agreed

One of my favourite nights watching City. Went up on my own, got chatting to a couple of lads in the pub before and joined them for the game. We then went on a bit of a pub crawl after and I still chat to one of them now and again on Facebook. Also bumped into someone who had JET's match shirt, lucky sod

Sadly it was slightly tainted near the end due to a couple of racist locals in Wetherspoons

As luck would have it I was working in Leeds that week so took a colleague along. He's a Spurs/England fan so used to very big games, crowds & atmospheres but he swears nothing was as crazy as that night in Bradford. An absolute privilege to have been there - that season was a madness. 

I was very fortunate to be there, in a buoyant part of what otherwise was a sparse crowd. The assault on Bradford's fragile confidence was relentless from a buccaneering City, brim full of purpose and swagger. We 'mullered' them for 90 minutes and such was the focused manager's dogmatic leadership that JET only got on the pitch after the final whistle.

Many of us wanted JET to get five minutes to say farewell, but there was no room for sentiment with Steve Cotterill.

Had we been brave and paid out for Maguire and Gayle or Gray the following season may be SC would still be with us and promotion would have been achieved. As it was the high of that night remains the most wonderful singular achievement, and I for one will always be grateful for that dose of euphoria.

We were magical 

8 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

This has been posted by the club today, but what I also found interesting was looking at the table after the game (below). One of the things we criticise for is a lack of progression, and clubs overtaking us. The table suggests only one club has overtaken us when you think about the collective of squad, infrastructure and league position. We’ve undoubtedly improved off the pitch since that day - and despite our current malaise, it has to be remembered that squad were in the relegation zone the next season (cue Maguire/Gray comments). 

So, is it not that we’ve not developed/been overtaken - but that we’ve not gone quickly enough?

1673A078-8D06-4A79-A0D3-F16DF4B0E492.jpeg

Amazing how quickly fortunes can change. Look at Chesterfield, in the play-offs to get into the Championship and in recent seasons struggling to avoid dropping out of the conference. Improved this season though. 

and Rochdale below Rovers.

On 14/04/2021 at 17:55, Kingswood Robin said:

Amazing how quickly fortunes can change. Look at Chesterfield, in the play-offs to get into the Championship and in recent seasons struggling to avoid dropping out of the conference. Improved this season though. 

and Rochdale below Rovers.

I often think that. It gives me hope that we can get into the Prem at some point soon. Look at Sheffield United for example and where they were that season!

On 14/04/2021 at 09:57, BCFC Grim said:

God I miss the lot of them......even Mark Little.

At that level for us & before injuries seemingly have got the better of him, Mark Little was really effective in the formation Cotterill deployed.

A squad player at best one level up, but a classic example of recruiting to a plan, Little was the right wing back we needed (& could afford) for that season.

49 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

At that level for us & before injuries seemingly have got the better of him, Mark Little was really effective in the formation Cotterill deployed.

A squad player at best one level up, but a classic example of recruiting to a plan, Little was the right wing back we needed (& could afford) for that season.

Freebie too.

Archived