IGNORED

Conway & Bell, over Britton

Tangle Foot

Was just wondering if anyone knows why Conway & Bell have been selected for 1st team action ahead of the slightly older, and yet seemingly more highly rated, Louis Britton?

I can only assume the coaching staff don't rating him quite as much as soon ITK's on here, or maybe Conway & Bell show up better in training?

Would be interested in anyone's thoughts.

COYR.

More highly rated by whom?

It seems to me that Bell is considered the best prospect of the 3, though I haven’t seen enough of any of them to base that judgment on anything other than we were very keen to tie him down to a long contract & he was in the first team squad well before the other two.

As an aside I did see Janneh once & was really impressed, unlike these 3 he already has a league goal under his belt & I’m very interested to see how he does with us.

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

He does seem to knock a fair old number of goals in. Perhaps our most prolific U23 scorer.

Maybe the rest of his game isn't up to scratch?

I must admit, I asked a similar question to the OP recently and never really got an answer. 

11 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't think there's any other reason for it other than they currently rate Bell and Conway more than Britton

Plus timing too, possibly?  Britton and Conway out on loan when Bell first called up.

Guess there’s an argument with Fam that you need Britton-type less.

Ultimately, I haven’t seen enough of all three to make much of a judgement, but I know NP calls Bell a “smiling assassin”, I think Conway might have something.  Good that we’ve got 3 where lots of people are interested in how they’re doing.

22 minutes ago, Tangle Foot said:

Was just wondering if anyone knows why Conway & Bell have been selected for 1st team action ahead of the slightly older, and yet seemingly more highly rated, Louis Britton?

I can only assume the coaching staff don't rating him quite as much as soon ITK's on here, or maybe Conway & Bell show up better in training?

COYR.

Why do you say Britton is "more highly rated"?

Because he scores goals???

From the admittedly small amount of U23 highlights I've seen, I'd say his all round game ain't all that - yet. He catches the eye because he's a strong lad for his age and has an eye for goal.

I suspect the all round game of Pearson and Bell is currently superior, in particular movement, mobility, touch.  

But who knows, maybe ask MacGregory to ask "Nige" and see how far he gets.  

54 minutes ago, Tangle Foot said:

COYR.

Rated by people who haven’t seen him play maybe ?  I’ve seen him a few times and have always said I can’t see him making it, certainly not at championship level.  League two at best unless he improves a fair bit which of course he still can due to his age.

Britton has been on some loans and never held a starting spot down either.  Big and strong for under 23s level but need a bit more than that in the pro game 

1 hour ago, Tangle Foot said:

COYR.

I can't help you but I'm glad you asked because I've been wondering too.

45 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

He does seem to knock a fair old number of goals in. Perhaps our most prolific U23 scorer.

Maybe the rest of his game isn't up to scratch?

I must admit, I asked a similar question to the OP recently and never really got an answer. 

Looking at the top scorers list for us;

Britton - 13

Bell - 9

Conway - 7

Bell has been in and around the first team for a number of weeks now and has therefore missed games.

Looking at the builds Britton does seem more physically up to it, however. as you say, maybe his all round play isn't as good as the others.

Maybe with Bells injury, it might bring Britton up, but also, maybe NP doesn't want to completely strip the u23s of their strikers just as they potentially are about to with the South division.

39 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Why do you say Britton is "more highly rated"?

Because he scores goals???

From the admittedly small amount of U23 highlights I've seen, I'd say his all round game ain't all that - yet. He catches the eye because he's a strong lad for his age and has an eye for goal.

I suspect the all round game of Pearson and Bell is currently superior, in particular movement, mobility, touch.  

But who knows, maybe ask MacGregory to ask "Nige" and see how far he gets.  

I suppose, highly rated by the media as well as some posters on here. There did seem to be some concern that WBA were sniffing around him. That was of course, before it became known that we had an extra years option on his currently contract. In any case, WBA's interest may be just been media speculation (click bait).

COYR.

4 minutes ago, grifty said:

Looking at the top scorers list for us;

Britton - 13

Bell - 9

Conway - 7

Bell has been in and around the first team for a number of weeks now and has therefore missed games.

Looking at the builds Britton does seem more physically up to it, however. as you say, maybe his all round play isn't as good as the others.

Maybe with Bells injury, it might bring Britton up, but also, maybe NP doesn't want to completely strip the u23s of their strikers just as they potentially are about to with the South division.

As our U-23's have almost won their league I would expect Britton to get at least a place on the bench, depending on how well he trains, before the end of the season. So think you could be onto something there.

COYR.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

It seems to me that Bell is considered the best prospect of the 3, though I haven’t seen enough of any of them to base that judgment on anything other than we were very keen to tie him down to a long contract & he was in the first team squad well before the other two.

As an aside I did see Janneh once & was really impressed, unlike these 3 he already has a league goal under his belt & I’m very interested to see how he does with us.

Thought he looked a tidy player that could offer something off the bench, was so unlucky with his injury. Scored yesterday for the U23s too so will hopefully be in and around the team next season.

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Did I dream that last week NP said, when asked, that Britton was unlikely to be in the squad v. Forest but would be very soon?

Yeah, he said something along the lines of 'that's a possibility', with an affirming nod.

1 hour ago, Tangle Foot said:

COYR.

Louis hasnt come through Tinmans accadamy my thoughts its related to this louis cant do no more than put the ball in the net bigger clubs than city waiting in the wings lets hope it doesnt bite us on the Ass.

It might have something to do with Britton being OOC in the summer and both Wolves and West Brom are/were chasing him. Purely looking at his goalscoring record, I don't why Britton is behind Bell and Conway when it comes to the first team. 

2 minutes ago, tin said:

It might have something to do with Britton being OOC in the summer and both Wolves and West Brom are/were chasing him. Purely looking at his goalscoring record, I don't why Britton is behind Bell and Conway when it comes to the first team. 

I fear he will be of those that goes to a Premier League club, without ever playing in our First team. 
Even though he’s the top scorer he was still the one who had to give way in the U23s when rehabilitating some of our injured 1st  team players. I would have liked to have seen him retain his place and play alongside them.

28 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Thought he looked a tidy player that could offer something off the bench, was so unlucky with his injury. Scored yesterday for the U23s too so will hopefully be in and around the team next season.

Came on at Forest Green a while back in a friendly (Adam Webster’s last game for us), really impressed, very good in the air & absolutely rapid.

57 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Rated by people who haven’t seen him play maybe ?  I’ve seen him a few times and have always said I can’t see him making it, certainly not at championship level.  League two at best unless he improves a fair bit which of course he still can due to his age.

Britton has been on some loans and never held a starting spot down either.  Big and strong for under 23s level but need a bit more than that in the pro game 

Probably had this discussion before....and I totally get your angle on this, it makes a lot of sense.

For me, he must continue to develop that strength attribute he has and uses to his advantage in age-group football, so that when / if he steps up he can continue to use it.  He has shown at Mangotsfield he can handle himself and that was as an 18 year old.

Its why from a development angle you don’t see many 21 year old “target men”, but you see them a bit older once they’ve learned to use their physicality better.  So, I do you think you can achieve in the pro game by being big and strong.  Not true comparisons but Akinfenwa, Matt Smith show that if you harness your physical attributes well you can have a pretty good career.

What he also has on his side is ability to score off either foot.  The goals he scores aren’t all from bullying a less physically able opponent, but good positioning and getting off shots early.  That’s a good sign.

Not saying he’ll make it, totally see why from NP’s side why he might currently be 3rd place behind Conway and Bell, but I’m keen to see how he develops.

Britton came to the club a lot later than others in the academy so he hasn't had the benefit of professional coaching from an early age. I don't know, but he's probably a bit raw because of that. It wouldn't surprise me to see him get a few minutes before the end of the season though.

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Britton came to the club a lot later than others in the academy so he hasn't had the benefit of professional coaching from an early age. I don't know, but he's probably a bit raw because of that. It wouldn't surprise me to see him get a few minutes before the end of the season though.

I know he is a bit disappointed not to have been called up to the 1st team yet and has spoken to Tinnion about this recently.

I do think it's partly down to not having been through an academy and is therefore looked at as being a little bit raw.

The kid certainly knows where the net is though.

As far as I can tell, it is mostly hype with Britton. I am sure he is a hell of a player but he is scoring for the u23 as an older lad for our u23. His loan kind of fizzled out when he left Torquay(?). Do not recall him ever even being involved in first team training with Holden and now NP. 

30 minutes ago, tin said:

He's signed a new deal, has he? I must've missed that. 

He had a year option activated so summer ‘22 he’s out of contract 

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

As far as I can tell, it is mostly hype with Britton. I am sure he is a hell of a player but he is scoring for the u23 as an older lad for our u23. His loan kind of fizzled out when he left Torquay(?). Do not recall him ever even being involved in first team training with Holden and now NP. 

He’s the year above Conway/Bell so ‘older lad’? Not really 

Archived