Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Conway & Bell, over Britton


Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, tin said:

He's signed a new deal, has he? I must've missed that. 

He had a year option activated so summer ‘22 he’s out of contract 

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

As far as I can tell, it is mostly hype with Britton. I am sure he is a hell of a player but he is scoring for the u23 as an older lad for our u23. His loan kind of fizzled out when he left Torquay(?). Do not recall him ever even being involved in first team training with Holden and now NP. 

He’s the year above Conway/Bell so ‘older lad’? Not really 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

As far as I can tell, it is mostly hype with Britton. I am sure he is a hell of a player but he is scoring for the u23 as an older lad for our u23. His loan kind of fizzled out when he left Torquay(?). Do not recall him ever even being involved in first team training with Holden and now NP. 

Harsh.

Unlike Conway, Pearson and Bell who have had academy coaching since they were around 8 years old, he has only been with us for 2 years. Straight from Mangotsfield to City at age 17 or 18, a hell of a step up and will probably take a bit more time to soften the rough edges.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

As far as I can tell, it is mostly hype with Britton. I am sure he is a hell of a player but he is scoring for the u23 as an older lad for our u23. His loan kind of fizzled out when he left Torquay(?). Do not recall him ever even being involved in first team training with Holden and now NP. 

It sounds like you've never watched him play - so not sure you can say it's "mostly hype" with a straight face. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder whether Alex Scott will miss the 1st team trip tomorrow, to play in the FAYC match.  That could create an opening for Louis Britton.

Joe - for info, his loan at Torquay was cancelled so that he could go to Stockport.  Louis’s dad not very complimentary about Jim Gannon.  Torquay were pretty happy with how he did there.  Stockport loan a disaster from playing point of view.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Davefevs said:

I wonder whether Alex Scott will miss the 1st team trip tomorrow, to play in the FAYC match.  That could create an opening for Louis Britton.

Joe - for info, his loan at Torquay was cancelled so that he could go to Stockport.  Louis’s dad not very complimentary about Jim Gannon.  Torquay were pretty happy with how he did there.  Stockport loan a disaster from playing point of view.

I think you're right re Scott. LB might get the team mascot seat on the bench, which obvs is good experience for him nonetheless.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I wonder whether Alex Scott will miss the 1st team trip tomorrow, to play in the FAYC match.  That could create an opening for Louis Britton.

Joe - for info, his loan at Torquay was cancelled so that he could go to Stockport.  Louis’s dad not very complimentary about Jim Gannon.  Torquay were pretty happy with how he did there.  Stockport loan a disaster from playing point of view.

Seems highly likely that Simpson won’t be fit, so could be 2 places up for grabs if he’s out.

Towler missed out v Forest so he is highly likely to be one of them.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I wonder whether Alex Scott will miss the 1st team trip tomorrow, to play in the FAYC match.  That could create an opening for Louis Britton.

Joe - for info, his loan at Torquay was cancelled so that he could go to Stockport.  Louis’s dad not very complimentary about Jim Gannon.  Torquay were pretty happy with how he did there.  Stockport loan a disaster from playing point of view.

What a polite description of Mr B's comments re. Stockport and JG.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Harsh.

Unlike Conway, Pearson and Bell who have had academy coaching since they were around 8 years old, he has only been with us for 2 years. Straight from Mangotsfield to City at age 17 or 18, a hell of a step up and will probably take a bit more time to soften the rough edges.

Starting to understand why people are banging on about him now. I guess loads know him as a player and have either played with or against him?  Is his dad well known in the game locally?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Harsh.

Unlike Conway, Pearson and Bell who have had academy coaching since they were around 8 years old, he has only been with us for 2 years. Straight from Mangotsfield to City at age 17 or 18, a hell of a step up and will probably take a bit more time to soften the rough edges.

Bell did not join the Academy until he was about 12. Pearson did start at Cardiff City when he was about 10 and then, after getting released, went back to Newport in the JPL for a couple of years before joining City.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Bard said:

Starting to understand why people are banging on about him now. I guess loads know him as a player and have either played with or against him?  Is his dad well known in the game locally?

Yes, a former teammate of mine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lrrr said:

He had a year option activated so summer ‘22 he’s out of contract 

He’s the year above Conway/Bell so ‘older lad’? Not really 

Thought he was bit older

8 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Harsh.

Unlike Conway, Pearson and Bell who have had academy coaching since they were around 8 years old, he has only been with us for 2 years. Straight from Mangotsfield to City at age 17 or 18, a hell of a step up and will probably take a bit more time to soften the rough edges.

You could say the same about Semenyo. He seems to be behind where Semenyo was at the same age. I have no problem with Britton. Just seems to be more fan hype than how his actual game is seen in the club. Seen a post where Gregor said he has been training with first team. That is delightful and I hope he does well. 

7 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It sounds like you've never watched him play - so not sure you can say it's "mostly hype" with a straight face. 

All I am saying is it has been a lot of noise around him and none of the managers seems to have fancied him enough to even let him train with the first team. This seems to have changed this week which is great. Just feel he gets talked about like he is a sure fire championship/premier league player in the making and he is behind others in a similar age bracket.
 

There is always circumstance but at this moment he is behind Semenyo, Diedhiou, Wells, Martin,  Bell and Conway. That is all I am saying. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

22 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Thought he was bit older

You could say the same about Semenyo. He seems to be behind where Semenyo was at the same age. I have no problem with Britton. Just seems to be more fan hype than how his actual game is seen in the club. Seen a post where Gregor said he has been training with first team. That is delightful and I hope he does well. 

All I am saying is it has been a lot of noise around him and none of the managers seems to have fancied him enough to even let him train with the first team. This seems to have changed this week which is great. Just feel he gets talked about like he is a sure fire championship/premier league player in the making and he is behind others in a similar age bracket.
 

There is always circumstance but at this moment he is behind Semenyo, Diedhiou, Wells, Martin,  Bell and Conway. That is all I am saying. 
 

 

Sam Bell is 1 year and 2 months younger than Britton, Tommy Conway 1 year and 5 months younger than Britton, who turned 20 last month.

I think that is quite a long time when you think how much better Bell and Conway should be by the time they are 20.

But players can develop at very different rates.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Zip Nolan said:

Louis's old man played for City at Ashton Gate before Lou did!

IMG-20210304-WA0002.jpg

That’s a great picture and some good players on there & some long time City fans.  Sandringham team from Briz but no idea how hibby snuck into the picture as the token gas?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

 

Sam Bell is 1 year and 2 months younger than Britton, Tommy Conway 1 year and 5 months younger than Britton, who turned 20 last month.

I think that is quite a long time when you think how much better Bell and Conway should be by the time they are 20.

But players can develop at very different rates.

100% Kodjia and Bobby Reid spring to mind as later developers. Joe Bryan at your more traditional way. Lloyd Kelly as a quicker one. 
 

Not writing Britton off in the slightest. Just that if you go by this forum he should have been playing for us by now. But with the club he has only just been involved with the first team this week. Maybe the forum is right or maybe the club is. I’d certainly like to see him get minutes these last 5 games. I think we are basically safe but a win this weekend might open up more minutes for someone like Britton in the last 4 matches. I’d rather see him than Fam I think. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

All I am saying is it has been a lot of noise around him and none of the managers seems to have fancied him enough to even let him train with the first team. This seems to have changed this week which is great. Just feel he gets talked about like he is a sure fire championship/premier league player in the making and he is behind others in a similar age bracket.

There is always circumstance but at this moment he is behind Semenyo, Diedhiou, Wells, Martin,  Bell and Conway. That is all I am saying. 

Don't think he does at all, just a good prospect the same as the others. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

100% Kodjia and Bobby Reid spring to mind as later developers. Joe Bryan at your more traditional way. Lloyd Kelly as a quicker one. 
 

Not writing Britton off in the slightest. Just that if you go by this forum he should have been playing for us by now. But with the club he has only just been involved with the first team this week. Maybe the forum is right or maybe the club is. I’d certainly like to see him get minutes these last 5 games. I think we are basically safe but a win this weekend might open up more minutes for someone like Britton in the last 4 matches. I’d rather see him than Fam I think. 

I don’t think that at all.

Same with Bell and Conway, a few minutes here and there isn’t enough to form a true opinion either.

The step-up for all three is big.  I don’t think anyone is really trying to say they are right and club is wrong or vice-versa, I just think it’s the general fans loving to get behind an Academy prospect, whilst some are more cautious in getting too far ahead.  Of course there are the extremists at either end.  That’s OTIB.

I’m just glad we are seeing them get a chance.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think that at all.

Same with Bell and Conway, a few minutes here and there isn’t enough to form a true opinion either.

The step-up for all three is big.  I don’t think anyone is really trying to say they are right and club is wrong or vice-versa, I just think it’s the general fans loving to get behind an Academy prospect, whilst some are more cautious in getting too far ahead.  Of course there are the extremists at either end.  That’s OTIB.

I’m just glad we are seeing them get a chance.

As one who has seen plenty of City youth making it to the first team, nothing gives me greater pleasure than watching them. I'll stick to strikers as this thread is about Louis Britton.

Brian Clark, Shadow Williams, Terry Bush, Tom Ritchie, and , imo, the best was Chris Garland.

I expect I've missed a glaringly obvious one. Senility reigns.

Edited by cidered abroad
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

As one who has seen plenty of City youth making it to the first team, nothing gives me greater pleasure than watching them. I'll stick to strikers as this thread is about Louis Britton.

Brian Clark, Shadow Williams, Terry Bush, Tom Ritchie, and , imo, the best was Chris Garland.

I expect I've missed a glaringly obvious one. Senility reigns.

Have we really not produced a decent homegrown striker for nearly 50 years??  Kayode Odejayi has had a decent career in the lower divisions I suppose...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Have we really not produced a decent homegrown striker for nearly 50 years??  Kayode Odejayi has had a decent career in the lower divisions I suppose...

Is/was Leroy Lita one of our own? I would say no but not sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

As one who has seen plenty of City youth making it to the first team, nothing gives me greater pleasure than watching them. I'll stick to strikers as this thread is about Louis Britton.

Brian Clark, Shadow Williams, Terry Bush, Tom Ritchie, and , imo, the best was Chris Garland.

I expect I've missed a glaringly obvious one. Senility reigns.

Ahem... (not a striker obvs but about as local a young un you could get!)

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Is/was Leroy Lita one of our own? I would say no but not sure.

He was released by Chelsea before he came to us as an 18 year old.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Have we really not produced a decent homegrown striker for nearly 50 years??  Kayode Odejayi has had a decent career in the lower divisions I suppose...

Reid?

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

But he wasn’t brought through as a striker.  Who was the last genuine centre forward we brought through the ranks?  Dominic Barclay, and look how he turned out?

But Reid did play as a forward for the age group teams.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Shuffle said:

That’s a great picture and some good players on there & some long time City fans.  Sandringham team from Briz but no idea how hibby snuck into the picture as the token gas?

I see shiffer was the sub- I know I watched the game along with other from the Sange in the enclosure and we all went on the Source after.

Some lively nights after Sandringham sports fixtures 🍻

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing with Britton is that he comes to life when he's in the penalty area. Give him the ball and he'll try for a goal. Good with both feet and useful in the air. Hence the fact that he scores so many goals. But theory is good to a point. The only way to find out if he can do well in the first team is to put him in the team. I think he will do well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...