IGNORED

Nigel Pearson press conference | Sheffield Wednesday vs Bristol City

Unan

Most importantly, what is Big Nige's favourite shop?!

I presume the hill is Park St...?

I did a bit of retail therapy yesterday, yes. I had a little walk up the hill to one of my favourite shops, but that’s not for you to know. That’s for me to know.

It wasn’t Greggs before you say that!

36 minutes ago, mozo said:

I did a bit of retail therapy yesterday, yes. I had a little walk up the hill to one of my favourite shops, but that’s not for you to know. That’s for me to know.

Was it up to Revolver Records to get the latest edition of the Bountyhunter?

41 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Was it up to Revolver Records to get the latest edition of the Bountyhunter?

Sounds great.

On a boring serious note, I reckon it's one of those outdoorsy shops like Blacks. 

1 hour ago, mozo said:

A pub could classed as a shop, in an emergency ?

6 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

These things are far too long for my liking. Can't imagine they're any fun for Nige either. I'm sure he's got better things to do with the time.

Or am I wide of the mark? Is this the sort of thing (younger?) fans want to see/hear as part of the modern media? 

I do actually like it. No idea why!

5 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

The last 5 minutes is quite interesting regarding meeting SL 

Perhaps, Nige wants to meet. Good for him, I understand that. Nige comes across as a cautious guy, his answers are long and filled with pauses, he's careful, and guarded. I can see that extending to his feelings about signing long-term.

As an aside, the job I'm in now I took having only met my boss through Zoom/Skype. Personally I felt no deep desire to meet face-to-face before making a decision (although my boss did fly into the UK to meet me between my acceptance and my first day on the job).

12 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Nige comes across as a cautious guy, his answers are long and filled with pauses, he's careful, and guarded. I can see that extending to his feelings about signing long-term.

Doubt it.

Pearson's son - son! - has already said he doesn't talk like that at home and it's just a technique he uses to buy himself time whilst answering, all the while telling himself "don't call him an ostrich, don't call him an ostrich".  It's called learning from your mistakes. Fair play to him.

Imo, Pearson is mustard keen and, if there are any doubts, they're on the owner's side - which is why he wants a face to face meeting. 

12 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Doubt it.

Pearson's son - son! - has already said he doesn't talk like that at home and it's just a technique he uses to buy himself time whilst answering, all the while telling himself "don't call him an ostrich, don't call him an ostrich".  It's called learning from your mistakes. Fair play to him.

Imo, Pearson is mustard keen and, if there are any doubts, they're on the owner's side - which is why he wants a face to face meeting. 

Sure...so he is still cautious in interviews/press conferences. He could very possibly also be cautious in chats with SL and in his general approach to the more...I'll use the word 'political'...side of the job. None of that prevents him from being a motor-mouth round the dining table.

4 hours ago, mozo said:

Clearly, he nipped in the Berkeley for a quick gold or 2.

I wonder whether Nigel has ever been in this limbo situation before of not knowing if he will be in the job next season?It must be strange turning up for work,not knowing if you are still going to be wanted in a couple of months time.I know I would find that massively unsettling.

7 hours ago, Slacker said:

I wonder whether Nigel has ever been in this limbo situation before of not knowing if he will be in the job next season?It must be strange turning up for work,not knowing if you are still going to be wanted in a couple of months time.I know I would find that massively unsettling.

In fairness, most managers will know they are only a few bad results from being out of work, and very few managerial appointments last for many years. I imagine you need to be comfortable with the lack of certainty in the role.

7 hours ago, Slacker said:

My first reaction to that is well, he has been employed by Watford...

My hunch is that whilst Pearson does want the job, he is at the stage in his life & career where he is far more relaxed about these things than when he took his first couple of managerial positions or was in his 40s.

Said this before, he is planning for next season because that is how we works anyway.

I could be wrong but I think as soon as we are mathematically safe, probably by next weekend, it will be done.

Strangely Ashton going might work in his favour, despite being here a short while NP is suddenly the continuity on the 1st team football side at the club.

2 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

It's not hard to appoint someone on Zoom, Nige - my company's appointed about half a dozen people in the last twelve months

He isn’t the one doing the appointing, is he?

What’s he supposed to say? I wish the owner would crack on with it?

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

He isn’t the one doing the appointing, is he?

What’s he supposed to say? I wish the owner would crack on with it?

It's literally Nige who said it: "it's hard to appoint someone on Zoom"

And I am correcting him

And you

Because I'm better at being a pedant ?

38 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

It's not hard to appoint someone on Zoom, Nige - my company's appointed about half a dozen people in the last twelve months

Has your company appointed half a dozen people on three year contracts worth somewhere between £1.5-3m, all of whom may potentially want to change the entire direction of the company............and all on Zoom?

11 hours ago, Red_Alligator said:

These things are far too long for my liking. Can't imagine they're any fun for Nige either. I'm sure he's got better things to do with the time.

Or am I wide of the mark? Is this the sort of thing (younger?) fans want to see/hear as part of the modern media? 

If anything, media aimed at a younger audience would be a 1 minute press conference highlight reel. Younger audiences wouldn't watch a 35 min press conference generally.

Archived