IGNORED

Nigel Pearson press conference | Sheffield Wednesday vs Bristol City

Unan

13 hours ago, Red_Alligator said:

These things are far too long for my liking. Can't imagine they're any fun for Nige either. I'm sure he's got better things to do with the time.

Or am I wide of the mark? Is this the sort of thing (younger?) fans want to see/hear as part of the modern media? 

I agree the interviews are long, but never boring imo.

Compared to our last 2 managers I could listen to NP all day. Imagine 30+ minutes of LJ - no, I'd rather not either!

Nige is clearly a great bloke as well as a vastly experienced football man, who players with anything at all about them - so not every current City player by any means - will respond positively to. 

He's just the job for the club and the fans. Get it done SL.

13 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I agree the interviews are long, but never boring imo.

Compared to our last 2 managers I could listen to NP all day. Imagine 30+ minutes of LJ - no, I'd rather not either!

Nige is clearly a great bloke as well as a vastly experienced football man, who players with anything at all about them - so not every current City player by any means - will respond positively to. 

He's just the job for the club and the fans. Get it done SL.

I can't disagree with anything you've said about Nige, Nogbad. My issue, I think, is related more to the interview style that seems to prevail in journalism these days. Namely repeating the same questions and also answering the question as part of the question (if you see what I mean?).

Anyway, all down to personal interpretation like everything else. 

4 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

I can't disagree with anything you've said about Nige, Nogbad. My issue, I think, is related more to the interview style that seems to prevail in journalism these days. Namely repeating the same questions and also answering the question as part of the question (if you see what I mean?).

Anyway, all down to personal interpretation like everything else. 

Yes, I know exactly what you mean about irksome modern interviewing techniques RA, and completely agree with your disdain about that.

I think NP deals with it in a very calm and considered manner, so extra credit to him, in my opinion, for rising above the very irritating - and sometimes immature - questioning styles - to still get his points across well and keep his replies interesting.

50 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

My issue, I think, is related more to the interview style that seems to prevail in journalism these days. Namely repeating the same questions and also answering the question as part of the question (if you see what I mean?).

32 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yes, I know exactly what you mean about irksome modern interviewing techniques RA, and completely agree with your disdain about that.

I think NP deals with it in a very calm and considered manner, so extra credit to him, in my opinion, for rising above the very irritating - and sometimes immature - questioning styles - to still get his points across well and keep his replies interesting.

Indeed.

Some interview techniques must be very trying.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rowan+atkinson+elton+john&oq=ROWAN+ATKINSON+EL&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0j0i22i30l8.9765j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

5 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

5.30ish here. 

Dave Barton mentions It’s nice to see Weimann and Martin getting fit ready for pre season.

Do we reckon that means we’re taking the year option on Andi? I thought we would. 

Mentions players with unfulfilled ability, perhaps he was briefed by MA about JET.

4 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Has your company appointed half a dozen people on three year contracts worth somewhere between £1.5-3m, all of whom may potentially want to change the entire direction of the company............and all on Zoom?

We have appointed similarly senior roles, yes. Salaries? Can't comment.

He is very engaging and considers every question before answering.

What I do notice is some of the cringeworthy questions being asked which he's very adept in identifying and fending off like the Sheffield reporter droning on about the Wednesday good times and go easy on us. He's a professional but it will be interesting to see if he grows tired of some of the journalists' stock questions.

Maybe its me but I find he uses the word "look" a lot!

15 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Imo, Pearson is mustard keen and, if there are any doubts, they're on the owner's side - which is why he wants a face to face meeting. 

Agreed, I suspect both parties want it to continue and SL will know in advance his wage exceptions via his agent, so that side won't take long.

I think the face to face discussion will be him getting assurances around length of contract and more importantly how much money he will have to spend next year. I don't think Nige will fancy staying if its going to be another season like this one (accepting It not been investment, but injures and inexperience that has done the damage this time).

14 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If anything, media aimed at a younger audience would be a 1 minute press conference highlight reel. Younger audiences wouldn't watch a 35 min press conference generally.

Very true.

Music used to have intros but new music no longer has them as young people do no have the patience for the song to start.

I am sure I heard this fact somewhere...

On 15/04/2021 at 22:11, Merrick's Marvels said:

Doubt it.

Pearson's son - son! - has already said he doesn't talk like that at home..

Pearson’s son ... https://www.90min.com/posts/2217396-video-nigel-pearson-s-son-and-other-leicester-city-players-involved-in-racist-orgy

Don’t really know what to make of this ... but, oh well - just thought I’d put it out there, people can make up their own minds ...

10 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Pearson’s son ... https://www.90min.com/posts/2217396-video-nigel-pearson-s-son-and-other-leicester-city-players-involved-in-racist-orgy

Don’t really know what to make of this ... but, oh well - just thought I’d put it out there, people can make up their own minds ...

I think it’s fairly common knowledge. I’d think it somewhat harsh to judge NP vicariously through his son’s actions from a number of years ago. Can’t imagine he was jumping for joy at his son’s behaviour.  

Watched that 5 minutes again- well watched it all earlier but watched the last 5 mins, bits on Sheffield Wednesday, the gambling at the right and wrong time. Few quotes that stood out- they're not verbatim but pretty much:

"One era slightly wrong with investment on players".

Also.

"Interesting to see how clubs either- not fall by the wayside- it's more to do with whether they are able to capitalise on successes that they have and continue with a development strategy that again, aren't always popular with the public but there needs to be a really effective strategy in which you are able to, yeah still develop, without putting the fundamental structure of the club at risk- and I think, yeah a number of clubs have paid the price of maybe gambling too much."

Then

"Or, or not gambling enough!"

Love his approach, real grasp of the big picture of what clubs need to do to progress- seems in many ways provided he gets carte blanche like he would act responsibly in the market, he'd be fully aware of not pushing limits.

3 or 4 year deal needed fairly quickly IMO.

16 hours ago, Swede said:

What I do notice is some of the cringeworthy questions being asked which he's very adept in identifying and fending off like the Sheffield reporter droning on about the Wednesday good times and go easy on us. He's a professional but it will be interesting to see if he grows tired of some of the journalists' stock questions.

He is not flippiant or insincere in his answers to reporters questions. He is very careful in what he is going to say and how to respond and I reckon he has excellent reading strategies. when he says "look" his brain is in gear working out on how to comment and respond. he is not only a great football coach but would also make a good politician. he has a great mind with experience to match.

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Watched that 5 minutes again- well watched it all earlier but watched the last 5 mins, bits on Sheffield Wednesday, the gambling at the right and wrong time. Few quotes that stood out- they're not verbatim but pretty much:

Also.

Then

Love his approach, real grasp of the big picture of what clubs need to do to progress- seems in many ways provided he gets carte blanche like he would act responsibly in the market, he'd be fully aware of not pushing limits.

3 or 4 year deal needed fairly quickly IMO.

I agree. He is exactly what we need and have done for some time. 

I am sure the question of his salary won’t be an issue, I think the real issue for SL will be the ‘home truths’ that may not be too palatable BUT, these need to be aired, most of us have seen that a lot was wrong for a long time.

I think if that nice Mr Ashton was hanging about conflict would not be too far away, despite Nige saying they got on well. However Ashton may have been playing along given he knew he would be leaving.

That in itself is actually an odd decision - I know he has history with the new hierarchy at Ipswich but being realistic we are a better bet for the PL than they are currently.

I also suspected his agenda was to get himself a full time job in a senior role at the EFL / PL.

19 hours ago, Swede said:

‘ yeah’ .

On 15/04/2021 at 19:04, mozo said:

Most importantly, what is Big Nige's favourite shop?!

I presume the hill is Park St...?

I did a bit of retail therapy yesterday, yes. I had a little walk up the hill to one of my favourite shops, but that’s not for you to know. That’s for me to know.

It wasn’t Greggs before you say that!

Is Forever People still on Park Street? I have Nige down as a secret sci fi nut with a leaning towards the Star Trek end of the spectrum. :)

32 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I agree. He is exactly what we need and have done for some time. 

I am sure the question of his salary won’t be an issue, I think the real issue for SL will be the ‘home truths’ that may not be too palatable BUT, these need to be aired, most of us have seen that a lot was wrong for a long time.

I think if that nice Mr Ashton was hanging about conflict would not be too far away, despite Nige saying they got on well. However Ashton may have been playing along given he knew he would be leaving.

That in itself is actually an odd decision - I know he has history with the new hierarchy at Ipswich but being realistic we are a better bet for the PL than they are currently.

I also suspected his agenda was to get himself a full time job in a senior role at the EFL / PL.

This is a real test of Uncle Steve’s ambition,I don’t think he will let us down.

Archived