IGNORED

Boothroyd

Super

19 minutes ago, 2015 said:

To his credit, he did get us to a Semi final of a World cup - 3 Cheers for Ramires!

Got Rufus Smalls banging the goals in after a 2 year goal drought, and Kevin Tomkinson in fine form after everyone thought he was finished. Top manager. 

12 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Got Rufus Smalls banging the goals in after a 2 year goal drought, and Kevin Tomkinson in fine form after everyone thought he was finished. Top manager. 

And to be fair considering his assistant walked out and punched him in a foul mouthed tirade he did a good job

Didn’t Mark Ashton, late of this parish, give Boothroyd his first managerial gig at Watford, having been colleagues with him in the WBA cartel that has now infected Ipswich?

We know Cook and Ashton didn’t get on in the summer. We know someone who Ashton is buds with who is a “name” coach (but rubbish) is available

Were I an Ipswich fan, I’d be shitting myself.

I think we have to credit him for the successes he did have, and also Several under 21 players with only their eyes set on the full England squad, which weren’t helped by his own comments describing his job as utterly impossible the primary aim being to get players through to the Senior team.

Whereas before we would have had players who were content to play in the U21s this is no longer the case, even the 18/19 year olds want the senior team opportunity NOW, without having to play in U21s for a season or two, even if they are not as good as those who have made it.

1 minute ago, E.G.Red said:

I think we have to credit him for the successes he did have, and also Several under 21 players with only their eyes set on the full England squad, which weren’t helped by his own comments describing his job as utterly impossible the primary aim being to get players through to the Senior team.

Whereas before we would have had players who were content to play in the U21s this is no longer the case, even the 18/19 year olds want the senior team opportunity NOW, without having to play in U21s for a season or two, even if they are not as good as those who have made it.

I don't think players get a choice whether they go to U21s or Full Team, I haven't heard of anyone "refusing" to play for the U21s?

I expect they go where they are picked. Why would we want any players who are just content to play for the U21s and not the full squad?

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

I don't think players get a choice whether they go to U21s or Full Team, I haven't heard of anyone "refusing" to play for the U21s?

I expect they go where they are picked. Why would we want any players who are just content to play for the U21s and not the full squad?

I expect there are some who don't want to play u21's football, especially 23 year olds who qualify for tournaments based on their age when the qualification started. Only they withdraw due to injury rather than 'refuse', clubs will be only too happy for players not to go away. When you have full internationals talking about having withdrawn from the main england squad before.

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Didn’t Mark Ashton, late of this parish, give Boothroyd his first managerial gig at Watford, having been colleagues with him in the WBA cartel that has now infected Ipswich?

We know Cook and Ashton didn’t get on in the summer. We know someone who Ashton is buds with who is a “name” coach (but rubbish) is available

Were I an Ipswich fan, I’d be shitting myself.

Michael Appleton will be the next manager at Ipswich Town ?

9 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

Danny Drinkwater, Chris Sutton, David Bentley, Tom Ince all turned down call ups.

Didn't really drown under full international caps thereafter....

Sorry, to clarify my comment was in response to @E.G.Red suggesting that players have refused to play for the under 21s because they think they should be in the Full Squad

Tom Ince turned it down at the age of 23 for his club career / to avoid taking the place of a younger player coming through the under 21s

Can't see anything about Drinkwater and the under 21s, though he did once refuse to play for Southgate because he wasn't fit enough after returning from a thigh injury that delayed his Chelsea debut. Can see he played under 18s and under 19s though

David Bentley, like Ince, choose club career over country.

I'll give you Chris Sutton though, genuinely turned down England B team because he thought he deserved to be in the full squad. So one player, and it was 23 years ago?

Just now, MarcusX said:

Sorry, to clarify my comment was in response to @E.G.Red suggesting that players have refused to play for the under 21s because they think they should be in the Full Squad

Tom Ince turned it down at the age of 23 for his club career / to avoid taking the place of a younger player coming through the under 21s

Can't see anything about Drinkwater and the under 21s, though he did once refuse to play for Southgate because he wasn't fit enough after returning from a thigh injury that delayed his Chelsea debut. Can see he played under 18s and under 19s though

David Bentley, like Ince, choose club career over country.

I'll give you Chris Sutton though, genuinely turned down England B team because he thought he deserved to be in the full squad. So one player, and it was 23 years ago?

To clarify I didn’t say they’d refused but more that they had their eye on the bigger prize having seen others parachuted into the Senior team, and that perhaps winning things at U21 level wasn’t so important to them. and they didn’t give it the importance / value that they should. This has been remarked on by many ex players in recent interviews who said they were proud to represent their country at any level.

Archived