IGNORED

Match day thread Sheff Wednesday away.

1 hour ago, Swede said:

It's been a recurring theme. Arguably it's been our Achilles heel all season. Before the likes of Weimann and O'Dowda got injured (& especially Weimann) they backed up and help cover those deficiencies.

It stands to reason if you have quick fulbacks in defence as well as attack they offer a lot of security as well as a threat moving forward. They can recover ground quickly and can be touch tight to the opposition. When you don't have pace it's natural to back off defensively and concede ground. Likewise going forward you're never going to beat the opposition for pace so you cross the ball early or pass it sideways.

Couldn’t believe today how many times both were 3 yards off their man and allowed their opponent to control under no pressure

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

15 hours ago, Superjack said:

"A one-sided game that the Owls controlled from start to finish, even without the sending off of Lansbury in the first half".

In what way does that make any sense in any universe??

Yes, it’s illogical and nonsensical. 
As if a 20th-minute sending off is going to have no impact on the course of a whole match...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Couldn’t believe today how many times both were 3 yards off their man and allowed their opponent to control under no pressure

Looking at the back five, we have three pieces of the jigsaw already in Bentley (or O'Leary) Vyner & Kalas. It will be interesting to see how much better we look with Jay Dasilva back and maybe someone like Nyambe the other side.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Is that right what Dean Ashton just said on Quest that Bannan`s penalty miss yesterday was the first one he`d ever missed at club level?

He did say that yes. Assume it's right, @Robbored might know if it's true.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Swede said:

maybe someone like Nyambe the other side.

Yes please!

Particularly suited to a wingback role imo but very good still in a '4...

Good going forwards,,pace & defensively sound.

Think I read @Davefevs recently saying he's cooled off re;Nyambe but I'm not sure why??..

Think we should be in for him as a free agent.

Edited by Son of Fred
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Is that right what Dean Ashton just said on Quest that Bannan`s penalty miss yesterday was the first one he`d ever missed at club level?

Didn’t want to upset us yesterday and so thought that he ought to miss, prior to him signing for Nige in the summer 😂

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It was a very poorly taken penalty for sure. No pace or width. Very unlike BB...do you suppose he knows something that we don’t?...............:cool2:

We need all the help we can get?  

Edit - of course, we already know that :facepalm:

27 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Yes please!

Particularly suited to a wingback role imo but very good still in a '4...

Good going forwards,,pace & defensively sound.

Think I read @Davefevs recently saying he's cooled off re;Nyambe but I'm not sure why??..

Think we should be in for him as a free agent.

I don’t think he’s as good on the ball as I initially thought.

Very Athletic, can defend, which might be what NP wants, but I think we need more in attacking third too.  Don’t get me wrong, he’s still up there, just not as high.  If we signed him I’d be v.happy, an upgrade on what we have, but wonder if there are better options.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loosey Boy said:

Didn’t want to upset us yesterday and so thought that he ought to miss, prior to him signing for Nige in the summer 😂

At 31 reckon his best days are soon to be behind him, still a bloody good player though.

13 minutes ago, pillred said:

At 31 reckon his best days are soon to be behind him, still a bloody good player though.

Yes he is a good player, but the answer to our midfield probs...no way. Part of a Wednesday midfield that showed less intensity to win the ball back than ours. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Yes he is a good player, but the answer to our midfield probs...no way. Part of a Wednesday midfield that showed less intensity to win the ball back than ours. 

To be fair, Wednesday didn't need much intensity to win the ball back - we just gave it to them.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

To be fair, Wednesday didn't need much intensity to win the ball back - we just gave it to them.

Seriously though, T made 63 passes (57 successful) that’s one of the highest individual amounts this season....we had 10 men. Shows why Wednesday are where they are and also why we slumped too. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

What he needs more than anything else is a CAPTAIN. He needs eyes and ears out on the pitch that he simply doesn't have in Kalas and nobody else in our squad shows any signs that they could do that job either.

And before anyone days it, that isn't a criticism of Kalas. He's a very good footballer but not the leader type personality.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

And before anyone days it, that isn't a criticism of Kalas. He's a very good footballer but not the leader type personality.

I made the same point on the osib Instagram page after the game, in a way i think Kalas is missing having Baker alongside him as that was a dominant defensive partnership 

Wasn’t sure where to post this and didn’t think it warranted a new thread, but Birmingham just got a last minute winner against Rotherham which all but secures our survival. People may say that it has already been wrapped up by now but I think that’s probably sealed it.

23 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Look at the positives.  There will be some interesting away trips - eg Accrington Stanley. Forest Green, should they gain promotion, is a nice place to visit. A small ground perched on top of a hill in the village of Nailsworth with vegan food. 

22 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I`m sure you`ve cheered up a lot of dour Yorkshiremen from industrial Sheffield with that prospect!

I should have added the other advantages of going to Forest Green.  Visiting fans could make an exciting weekend of it by staying overnight in Stroud. The Stroud Morris Dancers have an extensive programme, of leaping up and down with bells on their legs, which would be an ideal post match activity. Far better than an night of  debauchery and excess 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I should have added the other advantages of going to Forest Green.  Visiting fans could make an exciting weekend of it by staying overnight in Stroud. The Stroud Morris Dancers have an extensive programme, of leaping up and down with bells on their legs, which would be an ideal post match activity. Far better than an night of  debauchery and excess 

They do also hit each other with sticks which should appeal to those good folk from Yorkshire.

• Haha 1