IGNORED

Forwards or service?

22A

I've looked at the stats going back over the last 20 seasons. In 13 of those, including the last three, City picked up more points than goals scored.

Do we need better forwards, or simply provide better service to the existing ones?

1 minute ago, 22A said:

I've looked at the stats going back over the last 20 seasons. In 13 of those, including the last three, City picked up more points than goals scored.

Do we need better forwards, or simply provide better service to the existing ones?

The service is the main problem. Nahki Wells is the prime example of that.

Just now, joe jordans teeth said:

Both 

Yep.

You look at our main 2 strikers today & although Famara was on a bit of a hiding to nothing once we went down to 10, he didn’t do much.

Wells came on & was no better.

However one sublime through ball by Bakinson that was either slightly beyond Fam or he didn’t read apart, we created hardly anything.

I know we were down to 10 men for 70 minutes but today wasn’t unusual, we simply create very little.

We need a complete overhaul in midfield & although our options are more limited with Wells & Martin both under contract, another forward option to replace Diedhiou.

People have previously praised Fan for his tracking back and defending but if I'm totally honest I don't want him anywhere near the defence. It's not that he hasn't been a component in clearing the ball but he's then not where he should be to receive the bloody thing.

I watched him today and he was back around the midfield and playing the ball around behind Semenyo and Paterson.

When you are playing one up top you need him to stay up top. Yeah the service we provide through midfield isn't great but, because it takes us so long to find a target to play forward to then we ultimately lose the ball.

Could do with one out and out winger, and a second one to bring on when we're really chasing a game.

Could do with another proper target man in the shape of Duric or Wilbraham to feed off those wingers.

Could probably do with a centre back who can come up front like Flint did when we're also chasing games in the last few minutes.

14 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

People have previously praised Fan for his tracking back and defending but if I'm totally honest I don't want him anywhere near the defence. It's not that he hasn't been a component in clearing the ball but he's then not where he should be to receive the bloody thing.

I watched him today and he was back around the midfield and playing the ball around behind Semenyo and Paterson.

When you are playing one up top you need him to stay up top. Yeah the service we provide through midfield isn't great but, because it takes us so long to find a target to play forward to then we ultimately lose the ball.

Paterson ? What game were you watching?

1 hour ago, 22A said:

If we were missing chances I'd say strikers, as we are not I'd say service.
Not as black and white as that, nothing ever is. We have been lacking in MF for some time, strikers runs (Wells) have been missed or ignored. We have he'd the players that could play that pass and Fam doesn't move a great deal. If Pearson gets a long term deal, he will hopefully work on the link up between the MF & strikers so we play a more joined up style.  Because we go direct a lot, Fam doesn't move and make runs, because he doesn't move he doesn't offer himself for a pass. 
Chicken / Egg. 

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Yep.

You look at our main 2 strikers today & although Famara was on a bit of a hiding to nothing once we went down to 10, he didn’t do much.

Wells came on & was no better.

However one sublime through ball by Bakinson that was either slightly beyond Fam or he didn’t read apart, we created hardly anything.

I know we were down to 10 men for 70 minutes but today wasn’t unusual, we simply create very little.

We need a complete overhaul in midfield & although our options are more limited with Wells & Martin both under contract, another forward option to replace Diedhiou.

At least Wells gave their CBs a bit of a niggle today, at least he ran them short, at least he ran them long, at least he challenged them on high balls.  Fam just stands still and then reacts.  The amount of free headers their CBs had in the first half was shocking.  I don’t expect him to win them either, but free headers are inexcusable.

Fam actually did a few decent touches when the pass was straight to him, but he offers so little to the team mate on the ball, he rarely gets on the ball.

I do wonder what he thinks when he comes off (either subbed or end of game), but I wonder more what his team mates think!

16 hours ago, 22A said:

The goals would flow from a couple of ten year old kids if we had creators in midfield. John Atyeo might have managed 35 in his career instead of 350 with our current attacking attitude.

I look at every team we play against and I regularly see twenty to fifty metre passes to players in front of the passer. 

We play one per game, so many of ours are sideways and backwards. Our squad has been brainwashed over the last 3/4 seasons to play keep ball among the midfield and defence. Bentley receives more passes than any other player on the pitch.

That is the problem!

Archived