IGNORED

Tommy Rowe

GrahamC

Remember reading the overkill on here when he made that terrible mistake at Coventry “the worst player to ever play for us” apparently.

Although he didn’t have the influence on today’s game of others I would be willing to bet that he is one of very few that are out of contract that we offer fresh terms to.

There was one superb tackle on Harris second half & his availability, commitment & professionalism stands out.

I do think we have real issues at right back (Hunt was poor again today & Simpson at 34 is merely a stop gap) but with Dasilva not someone you can bank on to play 30+ games I reckon TR will still be with us next season.

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Remember reading the overkill on here when he made that terrible mistake at Coventry “the worst player to ever play for us” apparently.

Although he didn’t have the influence on today’s game of others I would be willing to bet that he is one of very few that are out of contract that we offer fresh terms to.

There was one superb tackle on Harris second half & his availability, commitment & professionalism stands out.

I do think we have real issues at right back (Hunt was poor again today & Simpson at 34 is merely a stop gap) but with Dasilva not someone you can bank on to play 30+ games I reckon TR will still be with us next season.

Let's hope not..

Overhaul overdue...

Time for the Hunt's 'n Rowe's to go.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Did somebody actually say that? I can't believe anyone would come out with that as a serious comment.

9 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Did somebody actually say that? I can't believe anyone would come out with that as a serious comment.

Just checked back, they actually said “worst bit of play by a City player ever”.

Not quite the same but still OTT.

In a perfect World I would want a better player coming in. Reality means we will probably have to keep some of the OOC players, for me Rowe would be one. I don't think he's been good of late, but he is versatile and steady. Handy to rotate with JD, but great to have on the bench.

31 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I’m not sure anyone said he was the worst player to play for us, just the worst single mistake. I still argue there’s been worse but they aren’t the same thing

28 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Just checked back, they actually said “worst bit of play by a City player ever”.

Not quite the same but still OTT.

When you consider David James punched the ball in his own net it does seem a little OTT. 

20 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Thought both full backs were very poor today. Rowe is very physically strong and will make some crunching tackles. But I just don't think he's at the level we need. 

Pring only got into Portsmouth's team at the end of his loan. But he did do very well. Long injury now maybe makes it tougher for him, but I'm hoping he's Dasilva's back up next season.

They are both struggling to get up the pitch because we keep losing it pointlessly in midfield - don't get me wrong I think we can do better but it's not all there fault. 

Not for me GC. 
Rowe’s most common pass today was into touch for a throw in. Dreadful use of the ball. 
One of the long list whom I’ll be happy to wave goodbye to this summer. 
Overall, he’s done ok-ish in his time here. 6/10 most weeks. A very occasional 7. Time to move on. 

Think it might be time to let Tommy go.

Super free transfer for a season and a half, but if Pring and Nurse can’t give us back-up for Dasilva, then I’d rather we brought in someone.

Top bloke is Tommy, top pro too (NP eluded to that too), and totally get the lack of apps from Dasilva, but I don’t think that’s the reason to keep him.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Think it might be time to let Tommy go.

Super free transfer for a season and a half, but if Pring and Nurse can’t give us back-up for Dasilva, then I’d rather we brought in someone.

Top bloke is Tommy, top pro too (NP eluded to that too), and totally get the lack of apps from Dasilva, but I don’t think that’s the reason to keep him.

Worth keeping for his versatility in my opinion. People bang on about Vyner's versatility, but Rowe is the most versatile player in the squad. 

He's actually not a left back.

6 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Worth keeping for his versatility in my opinion. People bang on about Vyner's versatility, but Rowe is the most versatile player in the squad. 

I don’t think you’d start TR anywhere other than LB in the Champ....even though he’s a LM / LCM by trade.  I think it’s time to move on.

5 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Absolutely- he’s a central midfielder by trade as i remember but has played just about every position but. Cant imagine his wages are excessive so I would keep him as cover for several positions meaning we could carry a smaller squad. Admittedly we won’t win the premier league with him in the team but were not there yet are we!

You have to remember we’ve just let the well regarded Vince Harper go at LB because in part those ahead of him (Pring, Nurse, Soady, Towler) would block the pathway. To recontract Rowe and block the pathway for those who are blocking the pathway would be the definition of madness.

Hes at best backup at this level and isn’t getting younger. No hard feelings, and solid pro, but time to get rid 

2 minutes ago, Red Billy said:

Absolutely- he’s a central midfielder by trade as i remember but has played just about every position but. Cant imagine his wages are excessive so I would keep him as cover for several positions meaning we could carry a smaller squad. Admittedly we won’t win the premier league with him in the team but were not there yet are we!

I would rather we had youth to cover next season and not Tommy sadly, I think he's done a great job for us but time to let him go and enjoy a few years at league 1

1 minute ago, M.D said:

I would rather we had youth to cover next season and not Tommy sadly, I think he's done a great job for us but time to let him go and enjoy a few years at league 1

Totally agree we need youth and will use youth which is why  keeping Rowe means we can get rid of several reserve players allowing a better pathway to the first team for the youth players 

I agree that the criticism he got after the Coventry game was way over the top. He’s been a good pro for us, and a decent squad player. 

Moving forward I think we need  someone better or one of the younger players to step up as cover for Dasilva.

It's  a No from me, although won't  be surprised if we offer a short deal which he accepts.

At fault for their goal today and in the second half attempted to recreate that comical o.g. the gAss scored at Ipswich recently. A miscue that reminded me of Dyche at his finest.

He's been a solid player for us and I wish him well but time's up.

Get a good young un, one who's good enough to challenge Dasilva for his place not just provide cover. Dasilva won't play 46 games next year and if it's Pring or Towler or Nurse as his deputy we've no idea whether they're ready yet. 

They can continue to develop on loan,  imo. Get one of those young lads off Harry's thread - someone with potential and a season or two of good form in L1 who will push Dasilva and provide him with genuine competition for his place. It'll do Dasilva good too. 

If Dasilva stays fit for long enough we can flog him in a year or two. By then Pring or Nurse or Soady will be ready. 

No the more faces we can get rid of the better chance we can build someone decent next season. Now granted Rowe would always be reliable in the sense he is smart, committed and a real professional. That said he is L1 standard and at an age where decline is going to happen rapidly. 

Fair enough, it seems a fair few posters whose views I respect think it is time to move him on.

I do worry about Pring, he’s 24 during next season & barely got a start at Pompey & when he did was dropped twice afterwards.

If we do let Rowe go the list of those keeping for me would only consist of Weimann, with Simpson a possible if Pearson thinks he’s worth a squad place.

I know I’m in the minority re Walsh but do think we need to clear a lot out.

16 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Fair enough, it seems a fair few posters whose views I respect think it is time to move him on.

I do worry about Pring, he’s 24 during next season & barely got a start at Pompey & when he did was dropped twice afterwards.

If we do let Rowe go the list of those keeping for me would only consist of Weimann, with Simpson a possible if Pearson thinks he’s worth a squad place.

I know I’m in the minority re Walsh but do think we need to clear a lot out.

I do too.  He’s one to get a really good look at pre-season and judge whether he’s really good enough to be back-up.  I quite like Nurse, but he’s 22 in a couple of week’s time too.  So same review for him in pre-season.

Archived