IGNORED

European Super League

MC RISK77

Gary Neville nailed it with his reaction. First time I ever said that I think, but fair play to him. He was bang on. It's time these fat, rich mega-clubs got a kick in the arse. Starting next season with a big points reduction would be a good start.

27 minutes ago, spudski said:

Just goes to show that certain clubs have now got so big globally, that they don't even need or care about their local supporters.

Imagine...and it's hard, if City were one of those Clubs. No consultation with fans as to whether they would want to support such an initiative.

If it was that case, or one of the six mentioned...I'd walk away never to support again.

Lansdown’s legacy needs to be gifting a % of the club permanently to the fans.

7 minutes ago, OneCity said:

Gary Neville nailed it with his reaction. First time I ever said that I think, but fair play to him. He was bang on. It's time these fat, rich mega-clubs got a kick in the arse. Starting next season with a big points reduction would be a good start.

Whilst I agree with everything he said he works for sky sports who are a massive part of the problem with football 

3 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Whilst I agree with everything he said he works for sky sports who are a massive part of the problem with football 

I agree that they are, but this is something on another level. Forget the greed for a second, the idea of a closed league with no relegation - destroys the point of professional sport.

5 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I'm loving all my Bristolian Man Utd fans mates up in arms about this. A problem they have helped create and yet they don't understand that.

This breakaway can happen for all I care, not something I would watch without relegation though.

I’m completely against the whole thing but this could be one benefit, better support for local clubs. A lot of my mates have already decided they’d be picking City over the gas. 

1 hour ago, Dynamite Red said:

Eject Manchester United, Liverpool, Manchester City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, FC Barcelona, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Inter Milan, AC Milan and Juventus from their respective leagues and expunge all previous titles.

A ban on international football for any player or manager who represents the above clubs in this new league. 

Give players one window to transfer out and then prevent players transferring from clubs back in and out of UEFA/Fifa registered clubs and starve them of talent. 

Football would be better off without all of the above teams. 

Does that mean we win the fa cup if man u lose thier titles?

Edit: just to add they must be looking at other markets for mobey like the usa etc as i think most british, italian and spanish  fans will boycott this in favor of domestic leagues. If they cone back grovellingbto the fa when it fails they should only allowed back be right at the bottom of the football pyramid.

Totally agree with Dave in SA

They get whatever they want and they can players whatever terms are agreed by them, their agents, the broadcasters and the ESL

Will it mean two professional leagues in England; Prem 1 and we will be in Prem 2 total 38 clubs? several variations on this with then an EFL North, and EFL South as both go part-time and (nearly bankrupt). Interesting view on part-time split should be East/West

49 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Those of us with memories that stretch back to the early 90s will find it a little ironic to read the FA getting so upset and self righteous about a planned breakaway league that will enable the top clubs to generate and keep more income for themselves. 

You’re wrong Deve, that was about forming a new premier league that would be to the benefit of the England national team - well that’s the justification that was being trotted out by the great and good at the time.

Without reading the entire thread, are there no German clubs involved due to the 50%+1 rule that is enforced in Germany?

That rule essentially means that 51% of the club have to be owned by the fans and not a corporate entity or wealthy individual.

Whatever, if these 12 clubs want to start a closed league with just them in it, then let them go and do it. But the equal must apply where every other competition, be it club or international must be closed to them and their players.

Maybe then, they will realise that the vast majority of football fans don't give a single flying **** about Man U, Liverpool, Barcelona, Real Madrid etc and to watch a league with the same teams playing each other week in/week out will start to become very boring, very quickly

First thought is **** them and the rest of football returns to a time when other clubs might win things. However;

- all the best players will leave to play there. FIFA can ban players all they like but if push came to shove money will talk and international football would be in danger. The World Cup is a massive cash cow and if that’s diluted FIFA will get very worried.

- which leads to FIFA caving into more of the demands originally made for the proposed revamped Champions League, I.e. guaranteed participation for the big clubs. To put it another way I think this is political posturing to get the CL to be even more in their favour. The timing cannot be coincidental (with the original proposed changes being discussed tomorrow....). Cynical but no surprise......

This seems to have been a “possibility” for decades - but it never seems to come to fruition. It’s still laughable that the majority of clubs that compete in the “Champions” League aren’t champions ... the original European Cup was a perfect format ... the one best club in each country competing in a knockout competition - happy days!

10 minutes ago, downendcity said:

You’re wrong Deve, that was about forming a new premier league that would be to the benefit of the England national team - well that’s the justification that was being trotted out by the great and good at the time.

It was all about money and TV rights, and sharing that money only amongst the top clubs and not the rest of the league.

Treat them like the Kerry Packer cricket players who did something similar.

Let them go BUT, make it clear,

1 There is no coming back.

2 No entry to any domestic cup competitions.

3 No player in the breakaway league can represent their country at any level.

4 All sponsorship monies negotiated to the Premier league and the EFL, stays with them and doesn't transfer to this new league.

Just now, MarcusX said:

It was all about money and TV rights, and sharing that money only amongst the top clubs and not the rest of the league.

My comment was very much tongue in cheek sarcasm, as you were and are completely right - it was always only ever about money! 

6 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

Without reading the entire thread, are there no German clubs involved due to the 50%+1 rule that is enforced in Germany?

That rule essentially means that 51% of the club have to be owned by the fans and not a corporate entity or wealthy individual.

Whatever, if these 12 clubs want to start a closed league with just them in it, then let them go and do it. But the equal must apply where every other competition, be it club or international must be closed to them and their players.

Maybe then, they will realise that the vast majority of football fans don't give a single flying **** about Man U, Liverpool, Barcelona, Real Madrid etc and to watch a league with the same teams playing each other week in/week out will start to become very boring, very quickly

More cynically I’d say the reason German and French clubs aren’t interested, or more specifically Bayern and PSG, is because they’re almost guaranteed to qualify for the CL every year 

I expect the top 6 here, especially given Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs terrible seasons, are frustrated that every year at least 2 of them will miss out.  

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

My comment was very much tongue in cheek sarcasm, as you were and are completely right - it was always only ever about money! 

Sorry missed that!

25 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Ha ha! Yes, of course?? Having reached the World Cup semi finals two years before, it was just what was needed to give that final push to make us world beaters again! Went well! 

I’m against this of course in principle - it’s basically protecting the rich clubs ad infenitum.

However the current rulers of footie I.e FIFA / UEFA are certainly not white. In fact they are *******. A new governance model over  the game wouldn’t be a bad thing. Not sure this is is the right alternative but since when has FIFA been the moral code for the game? They have been leaching forever

As I see it , the Yank owners want a NFL type franchise league, whereas the European clubs want to replace the English Premier League with a European one. The initial twelve will be permanent members ( no relegation) , others will be “ invited “ to join them subject to wealth

Hate this, if it happens I won’t be watching

52 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I'm loving all my Bristolian Man Utd fans mates up in arms about this. A problem they have helped create and yet they don't understand that.

This breakaway can happen for all I care, not something I would watch without relegation though.

Not sure why they’d care tbh?  Presumably they only watch from their sofa so what’s the difference?

3 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

As I see it , the Yank owners want a NFL type franchise league, whereas the European clubs want to replace the English Premier League with a European one. The initial twelve will be permanent members ( no relegation) , others will be “ invited “ to join them subject to wealth

Hate this, if it happens I won’t be watching

Was just typing a similar post this is how it looks to me as well, they will have clubs moving cities next like in the NFL. 

Mind you we’ve had a taste of that already!

Archived