IGNORED

European Super League

MC RISK77

1 minute ago, Midlands Robin said:

It's being repeatedly said that if this went ahead it would end club football as we know it.

I've said this before, it absolutely wouldn't. The league structure would remain the same. Winning the league would still remain the same. UEFA would still have European cups.

It would be no different than if 6 clubs in the top flight went into liquidation. They would simply cease to exist in our league.

I think it would massively similar to the US soccer league in the 70's. Flooded with money and foreign players to begin with it then died a slow painful death before being wound up in the early 80's.

Agreed . Let them go. They’ll just play on TV for fans in China and India. English and European football can carry on with other clubs at the top.

The flipside of the coin is that FIFA is demonstrably corrupt and has been for decades, so why shouldn't clubs walk away from it? The super agents Mino Raiola and Jonathan Barnett recently declared war on FIFA. The organisation is rightly being trashed (by by bad actors). 

The other counter-narrative, I'm afraid, is this would be hugely successful. The best players in the world playing each other week in week out? Winner. We leave our morals at the door for the Russia World Cup semi final featuring England, and we'll do the same for Qatar. The promise of galactico football will entice fans to watch.

Not sure what point kier starmer is making saying it ends with fans becoming spectators.

Labour leader Keir Starmer said the clubs involved should "rethink immediately" or "face the consequences of their actions".

"This proposal risks shutting the door on fans for good, reducing them to mere spectators and consumers," he said

2 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Let them all **** off and expel any English players playing for the said clubs from the National team. 

Least the rest of us can enjoy fair competition then too

No problem with that as long as they aren't allowed back in at the top table, which is seemingly what they are expecting.

So they want to stay in their domestic leagues but then get this big slice of the pie on top? Currently in addition to domestic league standing money champions league teams get £15m before kicking a ball from champions league participation and £900,000 per draw and around £2.5m per win. 

This ESL is talking about each participating club getting £350,000,000

UEFA lawsuit that I referred to.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/blog-marcottis-musings/story/4363633/uefa-and-leagues-vow-to-fight-breakaway-european-super-league-what-this-means

Soon to read it myself, Marcotti usually a good read on European football matters.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2021/02/20/a-european-super-league-would-violate-eu-competition-law-as-would-uefas-proposed-reforms-of-the-champions-league/

Interesting legal piece. Not read it properly yet but the bit tagged on I never fully noticed- sounds like the Swiss System or whatever its called would also breach European Competition Law!

7 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

No problem with that as long as they aren't allowed back in at the top table, which is seemingly what they are expecting.

Nope, let them start at the bottom of the pyramid if so or never allow them back. FA need to grow a back bone and tell these clubs where to stick it, making Football look a complete mess and a mockery of its fans. 

The proposed Champions League for 2024 is also a disgrace for any of you who haven't read up about it

29 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Agreed . Let them go. They’ll just play on TV for fans in China and India. English and European football can carry on with other clubs at the top.

Those fans in India and China are going to find it difficult to support there team that they have got used to winning every week losing every week. 

4 hours ago, spudski said:

Just goes to show that certain clubs have now got so big globally, that they don't even need or care about their local supporters.

Imagine...and it's hard, if City were one of those Clubs. No consultation with fans as to whether they would want to support such an initiative.

If it was that case, or one of the six mentioned...I'd walk away never to support again.

Very much this. For all City frustrate me with their perennial underachievement I thank my lucky stars we haven’t sold our soul like the elite clubs have.

Generations of working class fans from Salford, Kirkby, Edmonton and so on s**t on by owners who couldn’t give less of a stuff about them.

Just now, bris red said:

Not a chance that this will happen. The fact it has been universally condemned from governing bodies all the way up to politicians speaks volumes IMO.

Should the six still face sanctions if it doesn't BR? They're happy to leave after all.

Just now, bris red said:

Not a chance that this will happen. The fact it has been universally condemned from governing bodies all the way up to politicians speaks volumes IMO.

The club's themselves will have known that this will cause a big stink, so it's an interesting power play.

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

Should the six still face sanctions if it doesn't BR? They're happy to leave after all.

There should be something to reduce there power over time. One of the many elements that's wrong with this is a sense of owner  entitlement. 

Talk about greed!

The Super League proposals include:

- The 15 founder clubs sharing an initial 3.5billion (£3.1billion) euro “infrastructure grant” ranging from £310million to £89million per club which can be spent on stadiums, training facilities or “to replace lost stadium-related revenues due to Covid-19”.

- The format would see two groups of 10 clubs who play home and away, with the top four from each group going through to two-legged quarter-finals, semi-finals and a one-legged final.

- Matches would be midweek and clubs would still play in domestic leagues Sod that!!

- Clubs would have rights to show four matches a season on their own the digital platforms across the world

- Income from TV and sponsorship would favour the founding clubs: 32.5% of the pot would be shared equally between the 15 clubs, and another 32.5% between all Super League clubs including the five qualifiers

- 20% of the pot would be merit money “distributed in the same manner as the current English Premier League merit-based system” according to where clubs finish in the competition or group if they don’t make the knock-out stage

- The remaining 15% would get a “commercial share based on club awareness”

- A cap of 55% of revenues permitted to be spent on salaries and transfers (net)

- A ‘Financial Sustainability Group’ would monitor clubs’ spending

There’s a bitter irony about  the Premier League being up in arms about clubs looking to maximise income by breaking away to form a new league!

1 minute ago, Pezo said:

There should be something to reduce there power over time. One of the many elements that's wrong with this is a sense of owner  entitlement. 

Wouldn't there have to be one of those votes where a certain % have to vote one way or the other? Turkeys voting for Xmas job? 

2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

I had a gander on a Liverpool forum. Only could read a few posts . Some of them actually want it. If only to piss of Everton. Didn’t think I could dislike them more 

Oh yes. Liverpool, that community club showing its true colours yet again. They utterly disgust me

12 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Presumably as these clubs won’t be registered in the UK and neither will their players (as the FA won’t recognise them) it will be interesting what the Tax situation would be

Surely if they earn their money on our soil, they pay their tax?

Competitors at Wimbledon Tennis have to pay UK tax on their winnings.

There are precedents for European Commission putting the breaks on certain Sporting Rules.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-foreigner-rule-illegal-1526747.html

Ironically, I think that Rule had some merits, greater link between national sides/Leagues and clubs, perhaps greater % of good domestic players remaining in middling and lesser Leagues, greater variety at that level when combined with Bosman.

EU and European Commission struck those two down, so they should be all over this!!

42 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

So they want to stay in their domestic leagues but then get this big slice of the pie on top? Currently in addition to domestic league standing money champions league teams get £15m before kicking a ball from champions league participation and £900,000 per draw and around £2.5m per win. 

This ESL is talking about each participating club getting £350,000,000

It appears so Lrrrr, absolutely disgraceful.

Archived