IGNORED

European Super League

MC RISK77

This will be interesting. 

To be fair, it’s the owners that are driving this. I have strong personal views, but the fans of these clubs appears to be overwhelming opposed to it.

That may ultimately count for nothing, but it shouldn’t give forgotten when looking to direct your ire.

So the way I read their plans is that they will continue to play in the Prem, there is no suggestion that the existing Champions League is scrapped either. 

So, Man Utd could play Liverpool twice in the Prem. They could draw each other in both domestic cups, they could play a 2-legged quarter final in the Champions League, play twice in the Super League, league format and then twice in a two-legged Super League semi final. 

Not sure about you, but it would get a bit ‘samey’ if they could play each other 10 times a season. 

Bragging rights would last about a week. 

Interesting in all of this, there has been no mention of the players. I'm sure there are some who still dream of winning the world Cup which they won't be able to do if this superleague goes ahead. I see it as short term gain for long term pain. It's purely a money making exercise. 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

So the way I read their plans is that they will continue to play in the Prem, there is no suggestion that the existing Champions League is scrapped either. 

So, Man Utd could play Liverpool twice in the Prem. They could draw each other in both domestic cups, they could play a 2-legged quarter final in the Champions League, play twice in the Super League, league format and then twice in a two-legged Super League semi final. 

Not sure about you, but it would get a bit ‘samey’ if they could play each other 10 times a season. 

Well first of all, you can forget about domestic cups. 

But actually they have no intention of staying in the Prem. They know they will get booted out. All of this reaction will have been expected.

Just now, E.G.Red said:

Interesting in all of this, there has been no mention of the players. I'm sure there are some who still dream of winning the world Cup which they won't be able to do if this superleague goes ahead. I see it as short term gain for long term pain. It's purely a money making exercise. 

The modern footballer follows the money. 

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yea so they want to play in this new league with a £300million prize pool, then take that advantage to domestic leagues? This is why they have to be booted out.

Also. Hilarious that these same clubs whinge about needing a winter break.

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yeah but Man Utd B team playing Norwich City in the Premier League will be about as watchable as Emmerdale mate.

I thought this was going to be another cock waving exercise to try and get more stake in Champions League but it looks like a full on seizure of power.

American and Middle Eastern money funding all of this just so the plastic American/Chinese/uae fans can watch their team play Real Madrid every other week, because they have no idea what the English games means to those outside of those 6 clubs.

This game is not the one I grew up loving anymore. 

12 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

So what do you do? Lie on your back and allow six clubs to tickle your tummy?

The first thing we need to do is recognise that the breakaway clubs have the power whether we like it or not, and that this will have a devastating impact on our traditional competitions.

I think some people are in denial about that.

Getting in a huff isn't going to help. We need to be pragmatic about how to safeguard than domestic game.

FFP is now essentially dead. How do we protect the game from that perspective? How do we manage TV rights? Lots of problems to solve.

9 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Yea so they want to play in this new league with a £300million prize pool, then take that advantage to domestic leagues? This is why they have to be booted out.

Makes you wonder what all the other chairman think of this, as it stands every championship club is 100 or so matches from champions League and invest with that goal as thier ultimate aim. With thus becoming a closed shop to teams whovseem to think they have a god given right not go have to qualify like every nother team ir face relegation if they under perform. I agreee This is why they have to be booted out. If fifa stand firm this will end up with old has beens who have retired from international football. 

I would rather go down the mem and watch the gas than give a single penny to these 6 clubs.

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

The first thing we need to do is recognise that the breakaway clubs have the power whether we like it or not, and that this will have a devastating impact on our traditional competitions.

Getting in a huff isn't going to help. We need to be pragmatic about how to safeguard than domestic game.

FFP is now essentially dead. How do we protect the game from that perspective? How do we manage TV rights? Lots of problems to solve.

This is the sad thing, these clubs do wield so much power and this is just the proof of it. If they want to break away then my heart would say yes expel them from their domestic competitions and not allow them to ever return but lets be realistic this would be devastating. 
The Serie A wouldn’t be the same without Milan Juve etc, the Prem wouldn’t be the same without the 6 clubs in question and the same goes for La Liga losing their big 3. It’s a mess which ever way you look at it and its a sad day for football.

Does it not run the risk of becoming a huge white elephant, similar to the North American Soccer League of the 70s?

I’m not a huge fan of the Champions League, but it’s European Cup roots and the odd storyline, me I will watch some games.

I really cannot see any attraction to this new format and I wonder if many others do?

29 minutes ago, mozo said:

Have power, not the power, or all of it.  

These clubs assets are linked to FA's and leagues. Their assets have a symbiotic relationship to FA's and leagues. 

The FA can say your assets (players) do not play for our national team. That harms the worth of these clubs assets. Leagues/FA's can place the offending clubs under transfer embargos now and in future, but also alter how the FC's operate from their academies upwards. Both would affect significantly how the offenders operate (recruit and develop) now and in future.

Football collectively still has a lot of power.

1 hour ago, Redinthehead said:

This is the natural reaction and was my first thought. However, by doing anything knee jerk like this you make the Super League inevitable. This is obviously more than just posturing from the clubs involved but at this stage the reaction needs to be measured. If this happens the ramifications are so huge for football in general that going hell for leather now could be a terrible move.

Super League has been inevitable for years now.  Let them go and get on with it.

All the clubs involved should be given an ultimatum, you go off to your mid week cash cow league and be expelled from the Premier and all league competitions or stay and take part in the greatest pyramid league in the world.  They have to remember the league and pyramid system gave them the opportunity to become who they are, without the league they would be not and they need to remember this.

Also they need to note that this move would sound the death nail for many smaller clubs.  

We are seeing the consequences of allowing foreign owners and investors who have no affiliations with the clubs or understand the concept of the pyramid (that allows anyone to dream of playing the big clubs) buy out our  leagues

The greed in football has been there for decades and it's no surprise that the super rich clubs want even more money. The FA, UEFA and FIFA have all allowed the rich clubs to take the piss for years, all that pandering is now coming home to roost as the greed overtakes what the governing bodies can provide.

51 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Couldn't agree more with this! The complete irony of moaning about playing too many games then wanting to set up this (current) 12 team midweek ESL, when player burn out, winter break etc is furthest from the truth. It's all about money and greed and power, and nothing else.

They can go and play in their 12 team closed league, get kicked out of the Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup. And I'm sure UEFA will kick them out of the Champions League too.

I'd be amazed if a) this goes ahead without the fiercest of legal battles and b) what the remaining Premier League clubs think of this.  Would they have any right of veto? Would any of the remaining bigger clubs for example, like Everton, Leeds, Villa etc have any say in wanting to claim a bigger share of the remaining TV money? Assuming of course that the TV companies think there is big enough 'pull' to justify televising the PL without the so called 'big 6'......indeed, could there be a case for the TV money being substantially reduced if it follows the 'big 6' to the ESL?

The implications of this are potentially massive.

29 minutes ago, Zed@BCFC said:

All the clubs involved should be given an ultimatum, you go off to your mid week cash cow league and be expelled from the Premier and all league competitions or stay and take part in the greatest pyramid league in the world.  They have to remember the league and pyramid system gave them the opportunity to become who they are, without the league they would be not and they need to remember this.

Also they need to note that this move would sound the death nail for many smaller clubs.  

We are seeing the consequences of allowing foreign owners and investors who have no affiliations with the clubs or understand the concept of the pyramid (that allows anyone to dream of playing the big clubs) buy out our  leagues

Why would the premier league kick them out and lose loads of tv money? Won’t happen 

It's funny isn't it.  At a time when COVID is having such a huge impact on the finances of football, with so many clubs reported to be on a knife edge, this period could have been an opportunity to for Governing bodies and Clubs to work together to reshape/reset the game and do something positive to tackle the ludicrous sums of money being thrown around.  It could have protected the future at every level.  

Instead, these teams go and announce a break away league to protect their own interests and wallets.  And even if it's a political game, just to get themselves a bigger stake at the table, that's just as selfish.

So sad.  

Just now, And Its Smith said:

Why would the premier league kick them out and lose loads of tv money? Won’t happen 

No it won't happen. Money always talks in the end. Very sad.

Hopefully fans will finally decide enough is enough when players start routinely getting £600,000 a week salaries. It's sick really.

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

100% agree.  Authorities won't make an example of these poster boys of the PL. All that will happen is they'll be offered larger revenue packages to stay.  They'll bend over backwards because they have now teeth.

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

They’ll lose loads of tv money now anyway. I don’t see Sky and BT paying billions for a league with six practice squads in it. The next thing they would be after is no relegation from the Premier League for their practice squads, make no bones about it.

Archived