IGNORED

European Super League

MC RISK77

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

So there is a £4 billion pot to set this up. 
Where is this cash coming from? Presumably a fair amount from sponsorships/advertisers, but I guess the majority is from TV? Happy to be corrected. 
If so, should fans express their anger at whichever TV company(ies) are funding this?

I assume Sky or BT aren’t involved as it will affect their existing revenue streams? 

So who’s funding it? 

Super agents will love this. They will be able to earn huge wages for the big stars. 

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think how this plays out will ultimately come down to one of two scenarios.

Either Bayern, PSG and Dortmund hold their ground, one or two of the existing twelve start to wobble and the whole thing falls apart.

Or the twelve breakaway clubs hold their ground and Bayern, PSG and Dortmund ultimately join them. 

I don't reckon it will go ahead without those three clubs. 

My guess is, it will be like the Kerry Packer Cricket breakaway ‘Circus’ in the 1970s. It will implode, would then be interesting if the EPL didn’t let the 6 back in. 

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think how this plays out will ultimately come down to one of two scenarios.

Either Bayern, PSG and Dortmund hold their ground, one or two of the existing twelve start to wobble and the whole thing falls apart.

Or the twelve breakaway clubs hold their ground and Bayern, PSG and Dortmund ultimately join them. 

I don't reckon it will go ahead without those three clubs. 

How do PSG hold their ground when Neymar and Mbappe threaten to tear up their contracts to join Madrid and Barcelona for HUGE money?

2 minutes ago, bris red said:

I did wonder this. For them to be so confident in officially announcing it would suggest to me that the funding is most certainly in place, where it is all coming from though is another question entirely..

It must be broadcasting rights funding the lion share but what networks have agreed to it i wonder?

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Where is this cash coming from? Presumably a fair amount from sponsorships/advertisers, but I guess the majority is from TV? Happy to be corrected. 
If so, should fans express their anger at whichever TV company(ies) are funding this?

I assume Sky or BT aren’t involved as it will affect their existing revenue streams? 

So who’s funding it? 

The Amazon Super League.

They've gotten onto the streaming market, Prime is doing fairly well for itself, and then the football streams have started more recently as well.

If not Amazon, then something similar. If, as we think, this is being set up to appease the majority of overseas "supporters" of these clubs, then it will be a network that is available globally. What better way to view globally than to stream it?

33 minutes ago, mozo said:

So what? Imagine a world cup without Kane, Sterling, Ronaldo, Messi, Pogba, Fernandes, Pique, Lukaku etc etc etc

The world cup will suffer more than the breakaway league.

It's cutting your nose off to spite your face.

That's what they want.

Premier League TV money will be hit the hardest. Our domestic leagues will face further financial turmoil.

Only for a short period, the Premier league in its current guise is the reason for this financial turmoil, its the reason we are paying players 30 thousand a week plus to be shite. 

The Premier league have to expel them, otherwise it makes a mockery of the league, what in the name of God is the point of watching a league where nothing matters? Who cares who wins it as they don't get anything, who cares if Man U reserves finish 15th as they still qualify for the biggest competition. 

Yes the Premier league was created out of greed, but at least it is still based somewhat on merit. 

The only thing that needs to be done is that the Government pass something to declare "all" football clubs to be community assets and that their grounds cannot be sold off other than for the purpose or relocation to another ground with the same restrictions. 

Protect the clubs from the immediate fall out, and then let them **** off. If owners want to walk away then so be it, and as long as you can support your ground maintenance with gate receipts then you are good, and no clubs need die. 

On the funding point, I don’t think it really matters if fans don’t attend, or people in the UK don’t buy the live coverage. That’s not the game here. The money is undoubtedly coming from US/Asia. What they will be getting if fans don’t attend though - and that is totally within English fans gift - is a less atmospheric product. And where I think we see this going is they go somewhere where fans will attend, and a lot of these “European” games will be played in the States.

It won’t just hurt the European game. It’ll hurt world leagues.

13 minutes ago, Harry said:

So who’s funding it? 

JP Morgan allegedly - they must be either extremely confident in their ability to get a monster TV deal, or possibly even have one lined up. I'm not sure how BT and Sky Sports would position themselves here, they're already in a good place and will want to avoid their product being devalued - perhaps this is a pathway for Amazon or someone like that to finally get fully in on this.

Another interesting point, and which shows just how much this stinks, is their income distribution model. The founder clubs will receive enormous payments of up to £350m each, all while allegedly imposing a salary cap on themselves. While that would allow a considerable rise in wages, it would ultimately then allow the clubs owners to pocket hundreds of millions of pounds a year for themselves. It's a way of guaranteeing enormous income for these owners, which doesn't tend to happen at the moment for football club who all run at or near a loss for the most part, as far as I understand it.

Not only that, but those 5 invitation/qualification places that sit outside of the original 15-team model, they will have no place in running/governing the league, and have no access to the commercial pot of the league. So even within the ESL there will be a ringfenced elite.

A few commentators on Twitter have mentioned about how this is nothing to do with Europe, and everything to do with the US and Middle Eastern markets which is where the money is at. One Tweet says that they're referring to us as 'legacy fans'. That is about as insulting as it gets.

The game is already dead. I’ve had one foot outside this club ever since our billionaire owner became a tax dodger. Our sponsorship from a series of betting companies has increased that sentiment.

Take a look at this from Swansea, holiday/buy to let! Just put these clubs out of their misery already... 

There's some emotional responses here, which is understandable but I think a few comments are ignoring some existing issues in our game

11 hours ago, 2015 said:

Let them all **** off and expel any English players playing for the said clubs from the National team. 

Least the rest of us can enjoy fair competition then too

Is the competition fair as it is? The Prem isn't a closed shop, but the rich get richer and it doesn't filter down properly.

11 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Sure is , sky money and plastic fans all over the country I personally can’t wait for those top 6 to eventually F off and let the proper clubs with real fans get on with it

Those clubs have real fans too. 

Hot topic in my football groups, most of them "plastics" if that's what you'd like to call them (not even really sure what that means tbh) and anecdotally not a single person supports this movement and have said they would stop supporting their team. Whether they actually would or not is another matter of course.

10 hours ago, RumRed said:

Oh the whole lot can F’ off as far as I’m concerned and that includes City. Going to follow my local non league team, as I have been doing for a while anyway. Money has ruined the game. 40 years it’s been but I know longer can feel much love for the higher leagues.

You'll be in for a shock when you realise non-league can be just as corrupt. Money dictates and ruins non-league just as much as anywhere else it's just done on a smaller scale.

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Throw these 6 teams out of the league today, withdraw all their TV money and give it to grass routes,

Why would that happen? They belong to the Premier League, they would just share the money around the rest of the 14 clubs. They care about grass roots as much as the ESL.

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

How do Arsenal and Spurs deserve a place at that table? Never even won the Champions League. Porto should be there ahead of those two

It's nothing to do with merit, it's about the "biggest" clubs in terms of fan-base and stature playing each other more often because they think it's what the fans want.

They don't want to be playing farmers from Azerbaijan in the CL, they want to regularly play against the other top teams regardless of how they finished domestically.

No one outside of England wants to see Leicester in the CL mixing it with the big boys in place of Liverpool.

Can't see this happening though, the top clubs are just flexing to try and get their way with the new CL format. The whole ESL format relies on domestic leagues as well, so as soon as the domestic leagues reject their places it will collapse.

Let the greedy sods go and it will benefit our league football.

No longer a half a dozen mega rich clubs creating a league competition in which only one of them will ever win the title (yes I know Leicester City performed a miracle as the first non biggie since Blackburn).

Matches will be more even and the competitiveness of the Championship will be added to those in the Premiership. It might even minimize the manic fear of relegation that has existed since the Premier League Megabuck TV deals began to spoil the beautiful game.

9 minutes ago, Odysseus said:

The game is already dead. I’ve had one foot outside this club ever since our billionaire owner became a tax dodger. Our sponsorship from a series of betting companies has increased that sentiment.

Take a look at this from Swansea, holiday/buy to let! Just put these clubs out of their misery already... 

Stick to political forum you boring ***

8 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Let the greedy sods go and it will benefit our league football.

No longer a half a dozen mega rich clubs creating a league competition in which only one of them will ever win the title (yes I know Leicester City performed a miracle as the first non biggie since Blackburn).

Matches will be more even and the competitiveness of the Championship will be added to those in the Premiership. It might even minimize the manic fear of relegation that has existed since the Premier League Megabuck TV deals began to spoil the beautiful game.

Perhaps this could be the big reset that football so desperately needs. I think it could be a long process though. As things stand, no one is going to get excited about a Premier League title race involving Palace, Wolves, Villa and Leicester

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

The Spirit of Shankly (1965) v The Spirit of Irving Scholar (1983). With Steve Lansdown caught/lost somewhere in the middle/between the two, not quite sure where to turn/trying to sell quick.

This Super League nonsense hasn't come out of thin air.

So the owner of an ambitious Championship club, who had designs on Premier League football and eventual sale of his shareholding, would have to be a bit dozy to think he had all the time in the world to gain promotion.

We should have ridden the wave under Cotterill for all it was worth to see how far we could have got, i.e. do a Sheffield United, a Southampton. Time and tide wait for no man. Nor football. 

By the time we're promoted (if ever) the party might just be over. Which would be typical. 

1 minute ago, AshtonGreat said:

Perhaps this could be the big reset that football so desperately needs. I think it could be a long process though. As things stand, no one is going to get excited about a Premier League title race involving Palace, Wolves, Villa and Leicester

Pretty certain Palace, Wolves, Villa and Leicester fans would be pretty excited. Pretty certain I'd enjoy it, just the same as I enjoy the climax of the conference season, the EFL playoffs, as would many many football fans. 

Football has been broken for too long and something seismic was needed to try and fix it, as long as there is support to stop owners selling everything off and running away leaving clubs to go bust then football can goo on and thrive for the people that are actually fans. 

3 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

Pretty certain Palace, Wolves, Villa and Leicester fans would be pretty excited. Pretty certain I'd enjoy it, just the same as I enjoy the climax of the conference season, the EFL playoffs, as would many many football fans. 

Football has been broken for too long and something seismic was needed to try and fix it, as long as there is support to stop owners selling everything off and running away leaving clubs to go bust then football can goo on and thrive for the people that are actually fans. 

Yep, I think fans of most clubs would welcome seeing some different clubs challenging, rather than the same old names, year after year.

2 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

I wouldn't be too excited, I must be honest. I rarely watch live Premier League games unless they involve the big clubs (or someone in my FF team!). But that could certainly change in the near future. I agree that something needed to be done to burst the bubble. 

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Leipzig aren’t bound by the ownership rules 

I dont think that's quite true, they are but they found a loophole. I believe they put membership price ridiculously high and most of them are RB employees/agents which means they effectively have control

20 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I'm pretty certain that Leicester were everyone's favourite PL team in 2015/16....

Archived