IGNORED

European Super League

MC RISK77

7 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Government trying to win brownie points on this.  It's none of their business what the clubs do.

It'll end up the same as when Boris said he'd lie down in front of the bulldozers at Heathrow. All talk and zero action when it comes down to it.

57 minutes ago, sludge said:

Imagine a world where more people support their local team. We'd surely be one of the biggest beneficiary's of that.

Just been having this debate with mates, almost all of whom support top 6 sides or Prem clubs.

I said what's stopping you currently going and watching your "second" team? It's not like many of their prem games are every saturday at 3pm anyway. As I pointed out to a few of them that "follow" Swindon, but they only do so when they are doing well. If they're at the top of league 2 next season they might go watch a couple of games, if they're at the bottom or somehow lingering around the bottom of L1 they'll be nowhere near the county ground.

I think the people who go week in week out will find another team to watch to fill the void of not going to football on a saturday. The armchair fans will simply just look up another team's results on a Saturday afternoon.

Most football fans these days have no idea what it's like to go to a game every week and actually follow your club.

They might initially start watching a local team, but if the teams crap they wont go again.

There's a lot of talk about the ESL not having relegation. That's true, but since when did any of these clubs have worry about relegation? And is American sport not competitive? I don't like the US model as much as the pyramid system, but both are competitive and reward winning vs losing. 

24 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

These clubs wouldn't need to grab more money if they did something to control wages and transfer fees. If they can't make a profit with the money they get from the EPL they probably never will.

They have created their own problems and are looking to make everyone else pay for it. 

And the irony is they want to control it in the ESL. 

Someone is going to have to take a massive hit financially or they are going to get their way. The problem is money usually wins out so sadly I think football is dead. They will get their way and end up playing in the prem again even if it is a year or two hiatus. And they will take what they want when the prem asks them to come back. BT and Sky will end up bidding on the ESL too. It’s just dead. 

3 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

It'll end up the same as when Boris said he'd lie down in front of the bulldozers at Heathrow. All talk and zero action when it comes down to it.

Rugger buggers if anything.

Would be far more likely to look at investing in this "big money" operation.

Remember Thatcher trying to get rid of football and Cameron's clumsy attempt at backing England in the World Cup?.

1 minute ago, mozo said:

There's a lot of talk about the ESL not having relegation. That's true, but since when did any of these clubs have worry about relegation?

It's not relegation in their domestic leagues that bothers them it's 'relegation' from the Champions League (ie not necessarily qualifying every year)

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

There's a lot of talk about the ESL not having relegation. That's true, but since when did any of these clubs have worry about relegation? And is American sport not competitive? I don't like the US model as much as the pyramid system, but both are competitive and reward winning vs losing. 

It's not so much about the big clubs worrying about being relegated, as without promotion/relegation that it will be impossible for any new clubs to play in the ESL. However , personally, I'd be quite happy if the plastic clubs f***** off to their super league - we might get a bit of the honesty and economic normalcy back in football

1 minute ago, mozo said:

It works in America because there is a draft system. A team can completely change from worst team to contender in the span of a week. The only advantages are really geographically(would you rather live in Miami or Minnesota in the winter?). And even that is after you have a player for 4-5 years. 

It could never work like that in Europe because there are academies and the rich can stockpile the talent on top of buy who they want. Maybe the super league eventually does something like a draft, I wouldn’t put it past them but that is down the line. 

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

Well, actually the NFL reward for losing haha

5 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Just been having this debate with mates, almost all of whom support top 6 sides or Prem clubs.

I said what's stopping you currently going and watching your "second" team? It's not like many of their prem games are every saturday at 3pm anyway. As I pointed out to a few of them that "follow" Swindon, but they only do so when they are doing well. If they're at the top of league 2 next season they might go watch a couple of games, if they're at the bottom or somehow lingering around the bottom of L1 they'll be nowhere near the county ground.

I think the people who go week in week out will find another team to watch to fill the void of not going to football on a saturday. The armchair fans will simply just look up another team's results on a Saturday afternoon.

Most football fans these days have no idea what it's like to go to a game every week and actually follow your club.

They might initially start watching a local team, but if the teams crap they wont go again.

I think fair weather fans who dont support local teams will be more comfortable with this than diehard fans. There has to be an element of the 6 clubs leaving thier fans behind and relying on armchair supporters and us/china market etc. Thats exactly why they need to be removed from the league pyramid system so football can go back to its roots. I really cant see it working as German teams have said they are not interested which makes a mockery of the title superleague. At least 4 of the 6 couldnt hold a candle to Munich or Dortmund and arsenal/spurs bring there shows what a farce it is. Apparently being funded by a us bank, i bet a US team will be added at some point. Fa/uefa and fifa must stand firm with this.

14 minutes ago, mozo said:

Man city last ones in 2000

7 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

If there were to be a restructuring of the football league, I wonder if the FA would look at splitting the lower divisions into North and South?. I'm sure that this has been mooted in recent times, although happy to stand corrected.

Would you consider opening it to the entire UK? Really only helps Celtic and Rangers I guess but something to consider by all parties? 

2 hours ago, pillred said:

I'm asking myself what will this mean for the clubs that are left in the premier league obviously there will be 6 vacancies, will they just promote all 6 of the clubs that finish in those positions in the Championship then all the other top sixes? where will it end.

No what you mean but if I was a West Ham or Everton etc I would be thinking premier league champions plus into the champions league every year should help any short fall money wise 

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Would you consider opening it to the entire UK? Really only helps Celtic and Rangers I guess but something to consider by all parties? 

I don't see how you can be against the superleague and then advocate doing exactly the same to Scottish Football by pulling out Celtic and Rangers, that's my issue with the idea of having the old firm in the league. 

If this goes ahead and the 6 get thrown out what then for sky and bt sport? I can’t imagine they would shell out the big money they have been for a regular diet of Crystal Palace v Everton. The money will go from our domestic game and most probably the knock on effect will see some more smaller clubs going to the wall

2 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

I don't see how you can be against the superleague and then advocate doing exactly the same to Scottish Football by pulling out Celtic and Rangers, that's my issue with the idea of having the old firm in the league. 

My problem with it, along with what you've said, why should any team go into a League higher than another team that had been fighting it's cause for maybe hundreds of years. The Super League takes teams away, but if you added teams to the top flight how would you explain to Championship teams that they deserved to be parachuted in above them? 

It needs the authorities to grow a pair and tell the teams if they leave, they can't come back. They have to reign in the money grab of the top few teams and get back to being a meritocracy and not a financial race.

24 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I await Saint Rashford to speak out against this, have a feeling he won't though as he'll be tripling his wages at this rate. All a PR stunt

Indeed. I think the vast majority of players under contract are probably being advised by agents and other advisors as we speak to tread very carefully on this subject.

I think the silence on social media and other platforms will be deafening from current players and managers shit scared to rock the boat and potentially say something they shouldn’t about this super league. Completely wrong as they are the very people who should be standing up and speaking out against this madness but if it is an opportunity to earn more money for themselves and their agents i think there would be a % that would be all over it.

22 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I await Saint Rashford to speak out against this, have a feeling he won't though as he'll be tripling his wages at this rate. All a PR stunt

1 minute ago, bris red said:

Indeed. I think the vast majority of players under contract are probably being advised by agents and other advisors as we speak to tread very carefully on this subject.

I think the silence on social media and other platforms will be deafening from current players and managers shit scared to rock the boat and potentially say something they shouldn’t about this super league. Completely wrong as they are the very people who should be standing up and speaking out against this madness.

I was about to post the same. 
Have any players or managers made any comments on this as yet? And more specifically any players or managers from the 12 teams involved?? 

22 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I think for anyone - even a professional footballer - it is extremely difficult to publicly criticise your employer without repercussions. I also think this is an area massively ignored in terms of free speech in general. Fair enough to any player who does manage to speak out but I'm not going to judge anyone who doesn't as I don't think most of us are able to do so either.

Just now, Harry said:

I was about to post the same. 
Have any players or managers made any comments on this as yet? And more specifically any players or managers from the 12 teams involved?? 

Haven't seen any from any involved, probably gagged over it. Herrera put something on twitter, think Hasenhuttl has just had a press conference 

Archived