IGNORED

European Super League

MC RISK77

3 hours ago, MarcusX said:

There's some emotional responses here, which is understandable but I think a few comments are ignoring some existing issues in our game

Is the competition fair as it is? The Prem isn't a closed shop, but the rich get richer and it doesn't filter down properly.

Those clubs have real fans too. 

Hot topic in my football groups, most of them "plastics" if that's what you'd like to call them (not even really sure what that means tbh) and anecdotally not a single person supports this movement and have said they would stop supporting their team. Whether they actually would or not is another matter of course.

You'll be in for a shock when you realise non-league can be just as corrupt. Money dictates and ruins non-league just as much as anywhere else it's just done on a smaller scale.

Why would that happen? They belong to the Premier League, they would just share the money around the rest of the 14 clubs. They care about grass roots as much as the ESL.

It's nothing to do with merit, it's about the "biggest" clubs in terms of fan-base and stature playing each other more often because they think it's what the fans want.

They don't want to be playing farmers from Azerbaijan in the CL, they want to regularly play against the other top teams regardless of how they finished domestically.

No one outside of England wants to see Leicester in the CL mixing it with the big boys in place of Liverpool.

Can't see this happening though, the top clubs are just flexing to try and get their way with the new CL format. The whole ESL format relies on domestic leagues as well, so as soon as the domestic leagues reject their places it will collapse.

What I mean by plastics are people from places like Bristol who don’t support city or rovers but support a top 6 team , they wouldn’t of started supporting those teams if they weren’t in the prem 

3 hours ago, Taz said:

The Amazon Super League.

They've gotten onto the streaming market, Prime is doing fairly well for itself, and then the football streams have started more recently as well.

If not Amazon, then something similar. If, as we think, this is being set up to appease the majority of overseas "supporters" of these clubs, then it will be a network that is available globally. What better way to view globally than to stream it?

I reckon it'll be BackOfTheNetflix

The first ESL game that takes place in England should be completely disrupted by fans of all clubs. Turn up en mass, block the roads surrounding the ground so the away team can’t even get to the stadium, block the turnstiles, stop the refs getting in, everything. And make sure the club get billed an absolute fortune by the police. Encourage stewards not to turn up so the game’s safety certificate is withdrawn. I’m sure there are plenty more methods too.

31 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I await Saint Rashford to speak out against this, have a feeling he won't though as he'll be tripling his wages at this rate. All a PR stunt

You call him "Saint Rashford" because, of course, you disagree with funding hungry, poor kids?

3 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

The first ESL game that takes place in England should be completely disrupted by fans of all clubs. Turn up en mass, block the roads surrounding the ground so the away team can’t even get to the stadium, block the turnstiles, stop the refs getting in, everything. And make sure the club get billed an absolute fortune by the police. Encourage stewards not to turn up so the game’s safety certificate is withdrawn. I’m sure there are plenty more methods too.

Ah, but our right to disruptive protests has been taken away from us by the Tories. 

There was a quote on the news earlier from a board member from a “Top 6” side (anonymous I might add) stating he opposes this ESL but the attitude from the owners and majority of the board is simply to maximise revenue and profits and not concerned about the football pyramid/fans etc. It’s quite telling, this is what these super rich owners really think about the fans.

Even if this does not go ahead, the damage has been done and the intent was there from these clubs. I hope fans boycott games/merchandise etc but I don’t see it happening.

World Cup in Quatar and inaugural ESL in 2022. **** modern football. 

Just now, RUSSEL85 said:

There was a quote on the news earlier from a board member from a “Top 6” side (anonymous I might add) stating he opposes this ESL but the attitude from the owners and majority of the board is simply to maximise revenue and profits and not concerned about the football pyramid/fans etc. It’s quite telling, this is what these super rich owners really think about the fans.

Even if this does not go ahead, the damage has been done and the intent was there from these clubs. I hope fans boycott games/merchandise etc but I don’t see it happening.

World Cup in Quatar and inaugural ESL in 2022. **** modern football. 

Except the Qatar WC was down to FIFA. But yes, the point is the same.

3 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

You call him "Saint Rashford" because, of course, you disagree with funding hungry, poor kids?

There are some who think the charitable deeds are mainly for the PR. His girlfriend is a PR executive and he is signed to Roc Nation so some people feel it's a bit contrived.

For me though, even if this were true, the end result is an overall good result.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

There are some who think the charitable deeds are mainly for the PR. His girlfriend is a PR executive and he is signed to Roc Nation so some people feel it's a bit contrived.

For me though, even if this were true, the end result is an overall good result.

Means justify the ends. Don't think his personal background is too dripping with privilege, so it may be from the heart.

Earning good money doesn't prevent someone having a social conscience.

Just now, Numero Uno said:

It’s a shame fans aren’t in grounds atm. They would certainly let the big 6 know what they think and I would imagine some clubs would tell the likes of Levy to stay away. Again probably deliberate, thought out timing, because I think it would have got nasty.

You read my mind. Can you imagine the reception ManUre would get at say Burnley after all this? Or Arsenal (big club) at Villa (minnows, apparently)

Just now, luke_bristol said:

Would the club owners even mind if this was to happen? This will give them a reason to move home games from places like Manchester and Liverpool and take them instead to places like Miami and Dubai. Its clear that the feelings of the local fans will be completely disregarded in the pursuit of greater profits.

3 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Means justify the ends. Don't think his personal background is too dripping with privilege, so it may be from the heart.

Earning good money doesn't prevent someone having a social conscience.

I agree, I don't necessarily subscribe to the cynicism around Rashford just explaining to you the rationale for why some people feel it's contrived. 

55 minutes ago, Crackers Corner said:

Man city last ones in 2000

Yes but pretty irrelevant as that was pre-Mansour. In the here and now relegation is not a threat. They've also been given an opportunity to have their Champions League status protected. In the ESL the threat of relegation will be gone, but it wasn't really a threat because they're so rich.

1 hour ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

It's not so much about the big clubs worrying about being relegated, as without promotion/relegation that it will be impossible for any new clubs to play in the ESL. However , personally, I'd be quite happy if the plastic clubs f***** off to their super league - we might get a bit of the honesty and economic normalcy back in football

Yeah the ESL would be a closed shop but they can extend it as they see fit, probably on an invitational or even franchise basis. I'd be amazed if PSG and Bayern don't join up. I think they want to but perhaps got nervous about the initial back lash. 

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

This Super League nonsense hasn't come out of thin air.

So the owner of an ambitious Championship club, who had designs on Premier League football and eventual sale of his shareholding, would have to be a bit dozy to think he had all the time in the world to gain promotion.

We should have ridden the wave under Cotterill for all it was worth to see how far we could have got, i.e. do a Sheffield United, a Southampton. Time and tide wait for no man. Nor football. 

By the time we're promoted (if ever) the party might just be over. Which would be typical. 

He missed the boat - the boat Madjeski and Dave Whelan and others hopped on - did Steve. Probably truer to say Steve missed the alarm that would've woken him up in time to catch the taxi that would've got him to the train station in time to catch the (gravy) train that would've got him to the port to board the boat that Madjeski, Whelan et al were waving from as it tooted its horn as it and sailed off into the filthy rich Prem sunset, leaving Steve to watch us at home to Gillingham, again.

Football didn't end when Manchester United dropped to the 2nd Tier in the 70s or when Manchester City just about managed to scrape through a third tier play off final against Gillingham, going up in 3rd place behind Walsall in the 90's.

It didn't end when Spurs were relegated from the top flight in the mid 70's or when Liverpool couldn't get near a title for 30 years.

Unfortunately, Football has been pandering to these money men for too long. Each step of the way has been designed to appease a few at the top and it hasn't made anything better. 

The creation of the Premier League, the abolition of the football combination to be replaced with a Premier only reserve league, an end to FA Cup replays, the expansion of the Champions League, the constant auction of TV rights, the demolition of the Associate members cup into a Premiership under 23's competition. On and on it goes. All of it done to appease the so called big clubs.

This should absolutely be a line in the sand now. They need to **** off and when they're done ******* off they need to **** off a little further.

15 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It’s a shame fans aren’t in grounds atm. They would certainly let the big 6 know what they think and I would imagine some clubs would tell the likes of Levy to stay away. Again probably deliberate, thought out timing, because I think it would have got nasty.

Yes - Leeds v Liverpool tonight at Elland Road would have had some atmosphere I think.

President of UEFA talking about banning players from UEFA competitions asap..... Sooooooo an England squad with none of the 12's players

Pickford

Aarons         Keane           Mings          Cresswell

Ward-Prowse   Bellingham    Maddison     

Lingard                Watkins                  Grealish

Just now, Lrrr said:

President of UEFA talking about banning players from UEFA competitions asap..... Sooooooo an England squad with none of the 12's players

Pickford

At least Grealish would finally start

3 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Pickford

Also, we don't know what the players think of this yet. The likes of Kane & Maguire may not be keen on the fact they can't represent their country.

Wolud crack me up if some of these clubs top players started whacking in transfer requests.*

*probably a rose tinted view...

Archived