IGNORED

European Super League

MC RISK77

15 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

President of UEFA talking about banning players from UEFA competitions asap..... Sooooooo an England squad with none of the 12's players

Pickford

Aarons         Keane           Mings          Cresswell

Ward-Prowse   Bellingham    Maddison     

Lingard                Watkins                  Grealish

If UEFA's threat is carried out it needs to be after this summer, it wouldn't be fair on the players who miss out as by that point they wouldn't have had a chance to get out of the Slimey League clubs to continue their international careers if they wish to do so.

18 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

President of UEFA talking about banning players from UEFA competitions asap..... Sooooooo an England squad with none of the 12's players

Pickford

Aarons         Keane           Mings          Cresswell

Ward-Prowse   Bellingham    Maddison     

Lingard                Watkins                  Grealish

There are plenty of good players available. This team is missing Sancho, Calvert-Lewin, Harvey Barnes and Jarrod Bowen(having a real good season and never talked about).

Have to think Spain would be missing Ramos, Fati, De Gea, Koke, Saul, Alba and more

France would be without Pogba, Kante, Varane, Griezmann and Lloris

Italy not a force but without key players

Even Germany would lose a few like Kroos, Gundogan and Werner

England XI

Pickford

Cash Konsa Keane Justin

Bellingam Rice

Sancho Grealish Barnes

Calvert-Lewin

Could be fun but Southgate would still be around

Just now, Dolman_Stand said:

If UEFA's threat is carried out it needs to be after this summer, it wouldn't be fair on the players who miss out as by that point they wouldn't have had a chance to get out of the Slimey League clubs to continue their international careers if they wish to do so.

I'm sure if that was the case Gareth Southgate could ask these players their intentions and if no response or they indicated they wish to play ESL then they get bombed out anyway. If they lie to get an England spot then that information will be in the public domain. That's what a principled Manager would do.

Just now, JoeAman08 said:

There are plenty of good players available. This team is missing Sancho, Calvert-Lewin, Harvey Barnes and Jarrod Bowen(having a real good season and never talked about).

Have to think Spain would be missing Ramos, Fati, De Gea, Koke, Saul, Alba and more

France would be without Pogba, Kante, Varane, Griezmann and Lloris

Italy not a force but without key players

Even Germany would lose a few like Kroos, Gundogan and Werner

Yup forgot about Calvert-Lewin and Sancho

Pickford

Aarons        Keane        Mings      Cresswell

Palmer

Ward-Prowse            Maddison

Sancho            Calvert-Lewin         Grealish

31 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

Football didn't end when Manchester United dropped to the 2nd Tier in the 70s or when Manchester City just about managed to scrape through a third tier play off final against Gillingham, going up in 3rd place behind Walsall in the 90's.

It didn't end when Spurs were relegated from the top flight in the mid 70's or when Liverpool couldn't get near a title for 30 years.

Unfortunately, Football has been pandering to these money men for too long. Each step of the way has been designed to appease a few at the top and it hasn't made anything better. 

The creation of the Premier League, the abolition of the football combination to be replaced with a Premier only reserve league, an end to FA Cup replays, the expansion of the Champions League, the constant auction of TV rights, the demolition of the Associate members cup into a Premiership under 23's competition. On and on it goes. All of it done to appease the so called big clubs.

This should absolutely be a line in the sand now. They need to **** off and when they're done ******* off they need to **** off a little further.

That's the point. Everyone has bent over backwards for the big clubs and it is still not enough. Whatever you do for them will never be enough so it really is best if you can find a serious plan to survive without them...........ideally before they **** off. There are enough billionaires and brains outside the top 6 clubs to come up with something affordable and workable, accepting there will be a transition period where it's going to hurt remaining clubs in the pocket. It just means Leicester and West Ham won't be able to afford to pay players £95K per week...................how devastating!! If those players prefer to be in positions 24 and 25 of Arsenal's 10th placed ESL squad and play 180 minutes a season for the money then let them get on with it.

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I'm sure if that was the case Gareth Southgate could ask these players their intentions and if no response or they indicated they wish to play ESL then they get bombed out anyway. If they lie to get an England spot then that information will be in the public domain. That's what a principled Manager would do.

It's not a case of Southgate vouching for them though is it, if UEFA bans any players who's registration is held by one of the 12 at the time the squad is to be announced then we are saying that literally dozens of £50-100m transfers need to be completed within the next 6 weeks. There isn't the time or money available for this to happen and it wouldn't be players fault so why should they be punished for decisions made in their respective boardrooms?

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

There’s an opportunity for the authorities here to make an early stand and put a marker down. Call off the Carabao Cup Final on Sunday. Tell Spurs and Man C that if they want to **** off and do this and **** everyone else in the process then the consequences start now. 

Yeah and my cynical side says they won't do it, but really should!

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

There’s an opportunity for the authorities here to make an early stand and put a marker down. Call off the Carabao Cup Final on Sunday. Tell Spurs and Man C that if they want to **** off and do this and **** everyone else in the process then the consequences start now. 

Couldn't agree more, there needs to be some sort of TV boycott of this game given the participants.

If this does go ahead you would imagine that over time there would be a correction and things might end up in a preferable situation for the many with the levels of money and consideration of fans and the local community back to something more like the levels there used to be.

Unfortunately it’s going to be a good few years with domestic leagues and international competition missing that top end edge that knowing it has all the best players brings. This will have an effect in our league and below as everyone will just know that something is missing.

The majority of players will not be willing to take enormous pay cuts to play in a domestic league and second rate international tournaments.

Eventually when the super league runs it’s course and the global audience gets bored only the meaninglessness turgid fair on offer the players will come back into the fold and perhaps those clubs who left will reform or join at the bottom and work their way back up again. 

I don’t think it would bother me too much. I watch City for the match day experience not the quality of football (although decent quality every now and then is nice). However I can’t be sure that it won’t feel diminished for me as well. 

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

I await Saint Rashford to speak out against this, have a feeling he won't though as he'll be tripling his wages at this rate. All a PR stunt

Of course because Rashford feels strongly about one subject, he must feel strongly about everything or he's a mercenary!!!

Let them go, the sooner the better. The top division would eventually be a much better open league.

Plenty of big sides left that would have 40,50,000 crowds every week with twice the atmosphere that is on view at any of those 6 maybe bar Liverpool.

Leeds Everton Villa Newcastle Wolves Leicester Sunderland ( Should they get back there) to name a few.

**** em Let it really happen might be a struggle for a few years but at least we would have our game back.

Kick the 6 out right now.

If they reconsider before the end of this season they can reapply to join the leagues, but starting from the bottom AND if they don't strictly meet every financial requirement of the league they are in, they are barred from being promoted out of it.

So league 2, where wages have to be capped at 55% of what they make (might not be exactly what the numbers are, but it illustrates the point), even if they cut down enough so that their wages are 55.0000000001%, they cannot go up.

1 minute ago, Harry said:

A number of clubs have made a statement. 
Anything from City yet? Or are we keeping our powder dry because we’re already in talks with Americans?? 

Think Lansdown has bigger problems to resolve in terms of Bristol City than worrying about putting a statement together that those 12 clubs won't even read.

53 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I agree, I don't necessarily subscribe to the cynicism around Rashford just explaining to you the rationale for why some people feel it's contrived. 

I think the thing I find a bit frustrating is people setting up fake moral tests for players that don't necessarily correlate.

Rashford's public statements - whether you are cynical about them or not - all relate to one issue and one issue only - which is around kids getting meals provided during school holidays so they are not missing out. Whatever you think of Rashford, the European Super League is a discussion of whether an elite group of clubs should be allowed create a closed competition to maximise their revenue and ensure participation. I've no idea how Rashford feels on that subject but it clearly is not in any way related to questions around ensuring kids are fed.

He might care about both subjects or he might care about only one but "if Marcus Rashford does not make a public statement on this subject then he clearly is a hypocrite when pretending to care about another completely unrelated subject" isn't a rational, coherent argument. It's just trying to shoehorn a pop at someone. 

I fail to see how a sterile league with no promotion or relegation is going to generate any interest after the initial launch.

It would  be like a series of exhibition matches.

The ethos of any sport is to improve the performance why bother when whatever you do or don’t do makes no difference.

If this idea takes off then many disenfranchised supporters are going to spend their leisure time elsewhere.

20 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Think Lansdown has bigger problems to resolve in terms of Bristol City than worrying about putting a statement together that those 12 clubs won't even read.

Because Steve runs the comms..... 

7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I fail to see how a sterile league with no promotion or relegation is going to generate any interest after the initial launch.

It would  be like a series of exhibition matches.

The ethos of any sport is to improve the performance why bother when whatever you do or don’t do makes no difference.

If this idea takes off then many disenfranchised supporters are going to spend their leisure time elsewhere.

Even the actual format of it is crap with the 2 x 10 team leagues. By the halfway point at least 30% of teams will have nothing to play for I.e. Spurs, Arsenal, Milan leaving them marooned in a league their fans don't want to be in with no chance of any success.

A lot of the media comments today are along the lines of "if this goes through then x y z should happen" for me the fact they have even threatened it even if it is to leverage a more profitable outcome from UEFA is enough for real action from supporters and rival clubs.

Apologies if already posted: https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2021/april/big-six-shirt-amnesty-launched/

"In light of recent events surrounding the introduction of the European Super League, Grimsby Town Football Club will be running a shirt amnesty for those who hold shirts for the English clubs involved.

If you hold a shirt from the following clubs that are no older than three seasons old, Grimsby Town Football Club are giving you the opportunity to surrender these and receive a 2020/21 replica Grimsby Town shirt of your choice*:

Manchester United
Manchester City
Liverpool
Arsenal
Tottenham
Chelsea

All shirts that are surrendered during the amnesty will be donated to local youth groups and humanitarian projects in Africa.

You will be able to surrender your shirts in the Club Shop or Mariners Trust Bar between 10am and 4pm on weekdays and varying times over the weekend. You can find our opening times by clicking HERE. 

Without fans, football and Grimsby Town Football Club are nothing. We would like to thank you for the fantastic support you have provided us this season and we cannot wait to welcome you back to Blundell Park as soon as possible. "

Great idea!

2 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Even the actual format of it is crap with the 2 x 10 team leagues. By the halfway point at least 30% of teams will have nothing to play for I.e. Spurs, Arsenal, Milan leaving them marooned in a league their fans don't want to be in with no chance of any success.

A lot of the media comments today are along the lines of "if this goes through then x y z should happen" for me the fact they have even threatened it even if it is to leverage a more profitable outcome from UEFA is enough for real action from supporters and rival clubs.

This last point is very important. This is a crossing the Rubicon type moment. The damage has been done and cannot be undone by a back track. These clubs no longer have a place in the English football league structure as they are currently owned and run. They do not believe in fair and open competition. This was clear before but has now been writ large. 

Assuming this super league actually starts then how long before the American underwriters want to include a representative or two from the US to increase ‘appeal’ (revenue) or otherwise maybe set up a World Super League to run alongside the European model.

A restructuring of the EFL is probably on the post-covid agenda so would the Premier League evolve into a Prem 1 and 2 to enable the remaining ‘big clubs’ to maximise their own revenue with the bigger clubs from the EFL, leaving the rest as possibly part-time North and South divisions.

5 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Wasn't one of the problems identified with the MLS in north America that there was no promotion/relegation, so it got a bit stale?

No pyramid I presume, we must have the best in the world as any team can live the dream - this is one of the reasons why this Super League is utter shite 

5 minutes ago, Keep the Faith said:

This last point is very important. This is a crossing the Rubicon type moment. The damage has been done and cannot be undone by a back track. These clubs no longer have a place in the English football league structure as they are currently owned and run. They do not believe in fair and open competition. This was clear before but has now been writ large. 

Correct, they have killed the English game for me now whether they stay or not. At a time where all clubs are struggling with the uncertainty COVID has brought this is a really ugly move from the Slimey 12.

Archived