IGNORED

European Super League

MC RISK77

Don't know if this thought has already been posted, but I can really see a revival of the game 39 concept to accompany this ESL; with several (or most?) matches a year played in the highest bidding locations around the world. 

The owners of these clubs have practically stated they don't give a toss about traditional fans and playing these games around the world would no doubt be a huge money spinner - but honestly, what a circus that would be. 

36 minutes ago, mozo said:

Is that not anti-competitive behaviour though? Sounds like something that would end up in the courts. 

You don't have to put your broadcast rights up for competitive tender. 

In many countries the state broadcaster alone negotiates terms.

Backed by UK law, this could mean a return of live football to terrestrial platforms. 

So, I don't get to watch Man Utd play Liverpool. No biggie for me. And for millions of others.

If a breakaway league is kept small it will only ever attract a minority of fans - and will lose the so-called Big 6 fans. Will Liverpool fans not want to watch them play Everton, Newcastle, Leeds? Historic enemies.

If a breakaway league is made large it loses the "elite" tag and the economics won't work out to play constant European games.

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned but a good point on the radio just now.

If those 6 clubs are allowed to play in the prem & run parallel with the ESL then game  integrity would be in question. What If one of them  I.e Spurs were in 6th  place but had a big game midweek against Barcelona . There’s  no jeopardy of them losing their European place as its ring fenced so they won’t worry about finishing in  the top 4 . Therefore they could just Chuck some kids in the side  for a league game which would have a knock on effect throughout the league. 

Government stating they will legislate if necessary to stop the clubs may have opened Pandoras box.

Hopefully rules of ownership such as they have in Germany may clobber these despicable owners and begin to return football to its communities rather than Oil rich countries and Yanks looking to make some money. 

Boris Johnson has promised the government will “look at everything we can do” to block a plan by six leading English football clubs to join a breakaway European Super League, amid rising anger among politicians and fans over the idea.

Officials in the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport are understood to be urgently examining possible options for preventing the scheme and looking at wider ideas to reform the governance of English football.

Labour has said it will back Boris Johnson if he brings forward emergency laws to stop six English clubs breaking away to form a proposed European Super League.

Shadow minister for culture and sport, Jo Stevens, told PoliticsHome the government could introduce emergency primary legislation this week to introduce an independent regulator if they are serious about protecting the game for fans.

31 minutes ago, Midred said:

I thought these teams were already complaining that there were too many matches for their players! 

Well that's what they said - what they meant was "that are too many matches against unfashionable or un-marketable sides like Burnley, Brighton and Palace"

Sometimes these "unfashionable" teams often had the bare faced temerity to beat them! Imagine that!

15 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Government stating they will legislate if necessary to stop the clubs may have opened Pandoras box.

Hopefully rules of ownership such as they have in Germany may clobber these despicable owners and begin to return football to its communities rather than Oil rich countries and Yanks looking to make some money. 

How exactly can you stop it happening. Bozo is full of shite. 

Really it's the best thing that can happen to football. Let them bugger off, no way the players can be selected for international duty or similar and a transfer embargo unless players are free agents. I see more positives than negatives for English football TBH.

30 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

You don't have to put your broadcast rights up for competitive tender. 

In many countries the state broadcaster alone negotiates terms.

Backed by UK law, this could mean a return of live football to terrestrial platforms. 

So, I don't get to watch Man Utd play Liverpool. No biggie for me. And for millions of others.

If a breakaway league is kept small it will only ever attract a minority of fans - and will lose the so-called Big 6 fans. Will Liverpool fans not want to watch them play Everton, Newcastle, Leeds? Historic enemies.

If a breakaway league is made large it loses the "elite" tag and the economics won't work out to play constant European games.

Isn't this about the global viewership though? Ultimately, the world will want to watch the ESL and there's where the money will go.

47 minutes ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Don't know if this thought has already been posted, but I can really see a revival of the game 39 concept to accompany this ESL; with several (or most?) matches a year played in the highest bidding locations around the world. 

The owners of these clubs have practically stated they don't give a toss about traditional fans and playing these games around the world would no doubt be a huge money spinner - but honestly, what a circus that would be. 

I thought this earlier today. The proposal is geared towards the global market and games will almost certainly ‘go on tour’ so to speak. 

8 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

I thought this earlier today. The proposal is geared towards the global market and games will almost certainly ‘go on tour’ so to speak. 

It will be like the Grand Prix. They’ll go from continent to continent. One game day in China, another in Japan. Then onto the US etc 

If and a big if it goes ahead and they are banned from the pl etc. Is this not the perfect opportunity to reset football... introduce salary caps and ticket price caps and once again make the pyramid competitive and sustainable... yes it may take time to get anywhere near the level it was ever before. I think I would much preferthe prem to be like the championship where anyone can beat anyone.

If only Accrington, Villa, Blackburn, Burnley, Bolton, Derby, Everton, Notts Co, Preston, Stoke, WBA and Wolves had thought of this back in 1888.

They’d still be the Premier League, and Man C, Man U, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool would have never got their shitty little hands anywhere near Europe. 

1 hour ago, Midred said:

I thought these teams were already complaining that there were too many matches for their players! 

Ah, but that’s only if there’s not enough money in it for them.

If there’s enough dosh on offer then you can bet that there can never be too many matches for their players.

OK then; if the football authorities are opposed to this idea, the solution could be in their hands.

They should simply announce anyone playing or managing in this Euro league will be banned from playing / managing any other club world wide.

48 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Really it's the best thing that can happen to football. Let them bugger off, no way the players can be selected for international duty or similar and a transfer embargo unless players are free agents. I see more positives than negatives for English football TBH.

I agree, so long as they are ejected from the Premier League, never to return. 

55 minutes ago, BigTone said:

They can make it near on impossible for them.

55 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Man City, Real and Chelsea to be banned from CL semis. Likely to be decided at UEFA meeting on Friday.

Yeah UEFA have to use that power play. Porto, Dortmund and Bayern reinstated in that scenario.

1 minute ago, mozo said:

Yeah UEFA have to use that power play. Porto, Dortmund and Bayern reinstated in that scenario.

Yep and they have to knowing they will go to court. I am sure the case would be after the competition is finished so it immediately screws the teams left in it. Don’t forget Man U and Arsenal still in Europa League too and in Arsenal’s case, it is the only way they will be in champions league next season(unless they leave obviously). If anything, it has to give them a bit of hesitation. 

I would hope there is some kind of law or rules written in every FA and in UEFA’s book about conspiring to undermine them or something like that. Problem is, sky and BT could kick off if the “big” teams are kicked out of competitions. I’d hope sky at least would have some integrity in the scenario and back the entity that made them what they are today. 

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Isn't this about the global viewership though? Ultimately, the world will want to watch the ESL and there's where the money will go.

Will they ? The plastics maybe until Lacrosse becomes fashionable. I for one won't watch it. Wouldn't it be nice to watch an old style MOTD and the Big Match on the Sunday.

All this talk about how they miss the supporters throughout this pandemic and when they are on the verge of getting them back into stadiums they do this!

This is going to get extremely ugly for the 6 involved and the worst thing about it is those other clubs in the Premier League whilst they will take the moral high ground on this i have no doubt if they were offered a place would take it in a heartbeat. The games practically dead now as far as I'm concerned, absolutely disgusting sport

46 minutes ago, tunnie12345 said:

If and a big if it goes ahead and they are banned from the pl etc. Is this not the perfect opportunity to reset football... introduce salary caps and ticket price caps and once again make the pyramid competitive and sustainable... yes it may take time to get anywhere near the level it was ever before. I think I would much preferthe prem to be like the championship where anyone can beat anyone.

get rid of the Prem and bring back Div1, 2, 3 & 4

7 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

All this talk about how they miss the supporters throughout this pandemic and when they are on the verge of getting them back into stadiums they do this!

This is going to get extremely ugly for the 6 involved and the worst thing about it is those other clubs in the Premier League whilst they will take the moral high ground on this i have no doubt if they were offered a place would take it in a heartbeat. The games practically dead now as far as I'm concerned, absolutely disgusting sport

How the rest of the premier league react is going to be very important in terms of how football will rebuild without those clubs.

Do they spend the next 10 years desperately trying to get in to the new league or do they work with the rest of the football league to make long lasting change for the betterment of the game. The latter may involve ending the premier league and returning to a single football league structure as the TV money would surely go from the premier league and the clubs would be back to relying on fan support for income.

It’s hard to imagine the latter I’m afraid but you never know.

Archived