IGNORED

European Super League

MC RISK77

41 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

I'm a Klopp fan but his interview response was an incoherent blithering mess. 

If I have a fave Prem team, it's Liverpool. But "Come on Leeds!" 

Really, I thought he came across really well in difficult circumstances. Went totally against his owners, fair play to the man

Imagine being an academy kid at one of the big six clubs.

The chances of making it to the first team is difficult enough, what chances will they have once clubs have even more money?

1 minute ago, Slack Bladder said:

The breakaway clubs will become franchises, just like the American Football teams.

Then they can be based anywhere because it is just the name they want.

Man Utd could end up in China and Old Traffic bought for Salford City

Don't think Gary Nevil is a scrap dealer. ?

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Imagine being an academy kid at one of the big six clubs.

The chances of making it to the first team is difficult enough, what chances will they have once clubs have even more money?

Not just that, but you'd assume their kids could no longer be loaned out to domestic clubs, their U23s would have nowhere to play (apart from an U23 super league) and so on - could be pretty bad news in general. I'd guess if they also couldn't rely on easily selling their academy prospects it could place the whole system in jeopardy... probably for the better as those talented kids could be joining and playing at clubs like ours instead.

1 minute ago, LoyalRed said:

If Bristol City were one of those 6 elite teams how would everyone feel ? 

Exactly the same. Wouldn't watch the club under whoever the owner was until he was booted out and not at all, ever, if they remained in that league. Plenty of decent non-league football to watch round here.

2 minutes ago, frenchred said:

I thought he did, which bit didn't you understand?

I understood it all, funny pants but all I heard was him saying it's been a difficult day, it's not me or the players, Leeds are being of order, everyone's got it in for us etc etc

4 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

If Bristol City were one of those 6 elite teams how would everyone feel ? 

Same but add embarrassment and a tinge of guilt

Just now, bris red said:

I despise Leeds United but fair play to them for this ?

BCC04B7F-9260-4C20-9478-D227BBF976B1.jpeg

They put them in the Liverpool changing room as well

The financial and logistical implication on English football would be huge. Steve Parish said so himself and said that the 14 clubs in the Premier League don't want to see them leave, they want to get round the table and find a solution. 

But as far as I'm concerned there's nothing that needs to be done. Either they're in or they're out. I'm not having it that UEFA, the Premier League, the FA give these big 6 clubs anything more for them to stay in these competitions. It can't be the case that every few seasons the biggest clubs can't threaten a Super League or similar so competitions and finances are skewed in their favour even more. 

Disgraceful. Bullying tactics without any thought about the supporters and the local communities who should be at the heart of the clubs, or the knock on impacts of other clubs in football. 

Don't give them a thing, in or out as far as I'm concerned.

3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I understood it all, funny pants but all I heard was him saying it's been a difficult day, it's not me or the players, Leeds are being of order, everyone's got it in for us etc etc

He quite clearly reiterated the stance he took a few years ago saying he was against it!

2 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I agree. His words a few years ago were strong. Today much less so. It was a chance to come out and condemn the powers at Liverpool and everywhere else and he did not do that. Just shows the players and staff at these clubs will fall in line.

I mean what consequence would Klopp have for speaking what he really thought? Is he gonna be sacked? I am sure he is well off enough to deal with that. The Bayern job is open. The German job is open. He has been talking about a sabbatical. Yet he chose to almost back track on what he said two years ago. 

Just now, JoeAman08 said:

I agree. His words a few years ago were strong. Today much less so. It was a chance to come out and condemn the powers at Liverpool and everywhere else and he did not do that. Just shows the players and staff at these clubs will fall in line.

I mean what consequence would Klopp have for speaking what he really thought? Is he gonna be sacked? I am sure he is well off enough to deal with that. The Bayern job is open. The German job is open. He has been talking about a sabbatical. Yet he chose to almost back track on what he said two years ago. 

I guess he could do that once he’s furnished with all the info.

5 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Its hard for him to comment as before it was theoretical and now its real and at this point he's had the information for about 24 hours without being given all the details so commenting on something without knowing everything is difficult as once he's said it then its out there.

5 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

The financial and logistical implication on English football would be huge. Steve Parish said so himself and said that the 14 clubs in the Premier League don't want to see them leave, they want to get round the table and find a solution. 

But as far as I'm concerned there's nothing that needs to be done. Either they're in or they're out. I'm not having it that UEFA, the Premier League, the FA give these big 6 clubs anything more for them to stay in these competitions. It can't be the case that every few seasons the biggest clubs can't threaten a Super League or similar so competitions and finances are skewed in their favour even more. 

Disgraceful. Bullying tactics without any thought about the supporters and the local communities who should be at the heart of the clubs, or the knock on impacts of other clubs in football. 

Don't give them a thing, in or out as far as I'm concerned.

Have I got this all wrong?

Why does it cost so much money to run a football club?

The truth is it costs very little to run a football club.

The unspeakable truth is that for some reason we have created situation where players are being paid unrealistic amounts of money. 

This is only massive cost in the game.

If 6 clubs left, there would still be huge amounts of money in the game and clubs would continue, but maybe the players wouldn’t earn £200k a week.

So what?

40 minutes ago, spudski said:

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but not had time to read everything.

Has it occured to anyone that players of these teams could have a way out of their contracts?

They signed up to play in competitions already in place.

Surely a super League would contravene the clauses in their contracts?

Any contract would have to be re nogotiated or paid up.

Don’t think so mate - I’ve seen a fair few footballers contracts and what they do reference is the leagues in the bonus structure (I.e you get x win bonus if it takes you 15th in the league and y if it takes you 11th) together with the cups in a similar format. The base employment contract is just employment for the club, but no specific competition.

(If you want a parallel  think Lansbury. Was employed by Villa but not in their 25 man PL squad so couldn’t play. Couldn’t terminate contract though)

What the contract will reference is the registration with the relevant FA but that’s irrelevant as it doesn’t impede the club from also doing an SL registration 

Just now, Davefevs said:

I guess he could do that once he’s furnished with all the info.

Maybe but I’d argue there is plenty of info. The clubs have made statements. The superleague has a website and made a statement. He himself said he wasn’t involved in any of it which I think would be more of a reason to come out strongly against it. Idk, I’d like to think I would rip into the club. Somethings are bigger than a job or money. 

It's a crazy idea of course but I have to confess to finding all the indignation from certain quarters a bit funny! The likes of the Prem League, Fifa, UEFA setting themselves up as paragons of virtue and protecting the true value of football. Football whored itself out years ago and has continued to do so especially at the top end: CL place for finishing 4th, bloated competitions, cups devalued, parachute payments, corruption...I reckon Fifa and UEFA are only p****d as they've been beaten to it!

Haven't read this thread so not sure if this has been said already but this would massively impact City too. One of the biggest draws in investing in a new stadium, wasting millions upon millions over the years is to rub shoulders with the likes of Man Utd and Liverpool every season. As a slightly younger fan who has only seen Old Trafford and Anfield on TV I can say by far it would be my proudest moment as a fan of this club for 20 years to stand on the terraces and watch my club play these giants of football, being there on merit because we achieved promotion.

Whats our end goal now as a club? To play the likes of Crystal Palace and Norwich every week? Where's the draw in that? Would Lansdown keep investing millions for such a small end goal? A very very sad day for football.

Archived