IGNORED

European Super League

MC RISK77

1 hour ago, AshtonYate said:

Imagine that! Instead of one manager, the whole country picks!!! Amazing.  

Remember though that the “whole country” picked a dog act to win Britain’s Got Talent!

As we all agree this is a disgrace & will hopefully never go through. We shouldn’t though forget how complicit Uefa & Fifa are in all this as well. 
Constantly adding more & more teams to world cups , European championships & now the Swiss model to the champions league & adding another,  European tournament  soon. They want football almost 24/7 flogging the players in what will become overkill ( if it isn’t already) They don’t want the big clubs to leave because it dilutes their competitions no mattter how much they talk about integrity . UEFA & FIFA are a slightly lesser evil in all this 

22 minutes ago, Genghis Khan's pants said:

I wonder what the reaction would've have been like had the ESL actually had a feasible promotion/relegation system? Would there have been such an outcry - after all it would still be the rich getting richer for the most part.

I think we need to realise that the ESL was inevitable and has been for yonks. The rest of football must sever ties with these clubs and let them do their own thing. I'm not convinced it will be the success that most think. Sky etc aren't daft and will go with the majority of subscribers. The opportunity is now there to rectify all that his been wrong with football and return us to some sustainable normality. The focus being sustainable!! To me the future is bright.

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

“If Boris Johnson is so minded,” says Geof Walker, “he only needs to bring forward a short bill banning any football in England other than matches organised by the FA. Such laws are already in place in France and Germany. That would oblige the owners to expatriate their franchises.”

Yes, I wonder if that’s the end goal – matches all over the world played by clubs with no serious geographical base. At that point, I think there’s a strong chance the players refuse to get involved. 

8m ago13:27

Now, the content of that “legislative bomb” will need a lot of clear thinking and precise wording, particularly with regard to not contradicting existing law, but the sentiments are strong enough to think that, at the very least, it will be attempted and – perhaps more than ever in UK politics – parliament is sovereign. I’ve no doubt that the ESL lot will have already instructed lawyers, but they can’t prevent the making of law and they can’t fight law that doesn’t yet exist. 

13m ago13:22

Boris Johnson has very strong words on the ESL

Apparently he told Richard Masters, the chief exec of the Premier League, that he is committed to the free market but that the ESL is “anti-competitive”, saying “we should drop a legislative bomb to stop it – and we should do it now.”

Goodness me.

Yeah, the free market, which he has championed as a journalist and politician,is now infringing on the ordinary football supporting public and its an absolute outrage,are there any elections coming up..........

14 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

As we all agree this is a disgrace & will hopefully never go through. We shouldn’t though forget how complicit Uefa & Fifa are in all this as well. 
Constantly adding more & more teams to world cups , European championships & now the Swiss model to the champions league & adding another,  European tournament  soon. They want football almost 24/7 flogging the players in what will become overkill ( if it isn’t already) They don’t want the big clubs to leave because it dilutes their competitions no mattter how much they talk about integrity . UEFA & FIFA are a slightly lesser evil in all this 

Completely agree and the FA and Prem League aren't entirely bastions of integrity in all this either - it's like being kicked in the nads by one guy and twice by another and first guy expecting you to be grateful! Um, I'd rather not be kicked in the nads at all thank you very much!

12 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I think we need to realise that the ESL was inevitable and has been for yonks. The rest of football must sever ties with these clubs and let them do their own thing. I'm not convinced it will be the success that most think. Sky etc aren't daft and will go with the majority of subscribers. The opportunity is now there to rectify all that his been wrong with football and return us to some sustainable normality. The focus being sustainable!!

Would love this to happen!

Once they lock in their positions as founding members it's amazing how suddenly they become preoccupied with parity and fairness among themselves. These are the worst type of cowards - conceited, **** everyone attitude, pull the drawbridge up, and then.. oh not **** everyone else, let's not fight, let's share it all fairly, don't want any disadvantage. ?

According to those familiar with the plans, the 15 “founding clubs” of the Super League would share 32.5 per cent of these commercial revenues. A further 32.5 per cent would be distributed between all 20 participating teams, including the five sides invited to play in the competition each year. Twenty per cent of revenues would be allocated on “merit” or be dependent on performance in the competition. The final 15 per cent would be shared based on broadcast audience size.

A person directly involved in the deal said the distribution model ensured the competition winner would receive just 1.5 times more than the bottom side. By comparison, that ratio in Spain’s La Liga is closer to 3.5 times. However, clubs will be also allowed to retain all revenues from gate receipts and club sponsorship deals.

Super League clubs have also signed up to a “tax equalisation” clause so that “income tax on salaries shall be normalised and calculated at a rate of 45 per cent”, according to people with direct knowledge of the contracts. This would ensure clubs in Spain, where footballers pay a higher top rate of tax than in Italy or England, are not at a competitive disadvantage when the spending limits are assessed.

By the way, note percentage splits - it means in any season the founding clubs would be guaranteed income of 2.5x what the 5 clubs they "invite" earn (those "lucky" five are guaranteed only 1.6% each of the total funds). It's so utterly shameless.

20 minutes ago, Genghis Khan's pants said:

I wonder what the reaction would've have been like had the ESL actually had a feasible promotion/relegation system? Would there have been such an outcry - after all it would still be the rich getting richer for the most part.

We already have the Champions league, not exactly promotion and relegation  but if your not good enough  one year you might be the next, surely that's enough I mean they are have already expanded it so much that you don't have to even to finish top two to qualify and under the current set up there are so many almost meaningless games (to make sure the ones they expect to qualify actually do) all in the name of generating revenue why add another tournament surely after complaining about too many fixtures this would be hypocrisy taken to another level. 

The bit i cant get my head around is this : As unlikely as this scenario is, what happens if the 5 other teams finish in places one to 5 in this new league? Arsenal finish 20th and stay up as one of the founders, who gets relegated? It would be preposterous to relegate a team finishing 4th or 5th

10 minutes ago, pillred said:

We already have the Champions league, not exactly promotion and relegation  but if your not good enough  one year you might be the next, surely that's enough I mean they are have already expanded it so much that you don't have to even to finish top two to qualify and under the current set up there are so many almost meaningless games (to make sure the ones they expect to qualify actually do) all in the name of generating revenue why add another tournament surely after complaining about too many fixtures this would be hypocrisy taken to another level. 

Ha Ha, don't get me started on the "Champions" League!!!! Clue is in the name for me!

I just wondered if the ESL would seem to be more palatable if promotion/relegation was possible as the 2 big issues against it are seemingly closed shop and greed (greed in football, who knew!)

5 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Apparently Jordan Henderson has called for a meeting for all PL Captains to discuss the ESL...not sure what these guys can do. 

As I said in a previous post I can see a lot of players not too happy with the idea but unless they request a transfer I'm not sure what they can do. Interesting few days ahead i think.

1 minute ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Strike.

"So Hendo...Yeah it's me Slabhead...So our lads are fuming about this. It's an effing disgrace. But just one question... How much extra do you think we'd get paid in the ESL?"

23 minutes ago, Genghis Khan's pants said:

Ha Ha, don't get me started on the "Champions" League!!!! Clue is in the name for me!

I just wondered if the ESL would seem to be more palatable if promotion/relegation was possible as the 2 big issues against it are seemingly closed shop and greed (greed in football, who knew!)

Don't think that suits those involved as it doesn't provide certainty of income which is one of the key factors in the proposed breakaway.

Hypothtically if this was to be offered by the Slimey 12 however to push the ESL through then you are still left with a scenario where football is now governed by 15 clubs rather than UEFA and if they aren't getting there own way in 5 years time they'll presumably have the power to do whatever they want i.e. expel teams they no longer want in the league etc.

25 minutes ago, BigTone said:

As I said in a previous post I can see a lot of players not too happy with the idea but unless they request a transfer I'm not sure what they can do. Interesting few days ahead i think.

Agreed. The ESL Executives must have a plan. Unless they assumed players would just follow the money. Not much of a super league if the top players will not follow.

Personally, I can’t see this going ahead now. I think plans will be scrapped. None the less, these clubs should all be punished. Will they? I think not. Water under the bridge more than likely. 

On 19/04/2021 at 11:23, Olé said:

JP Morgan investment bank - in the form of significant debt financing, i.e. the £4bn plus interest needs to be repaid once the league is up and running and cash generative.

As someone pointed out in the FT this morning, JP Morgan has no retail banking brand in Europe which makes them ideal as they will be immune from consumer backlash. 

Just returning to this question I posed yesterday in terms of who exactly is funding this. 
Ole and a couple of others answered that JP Morgan have put the loan up, but my question is who is actually funding it. 
Who is it that JP Morgan are lending this money to? There must be some other folks behind this - who will be paying JP Morgan back?? Who have they loaned this to? 

I’ve just heard Richard Keys on the radio (I know!!), and he seems to suggest that those behind this will be revealed soon. He says he knows (he currently works for Bein Sports who own PSG, so I’d imagine these Qatari’s know who’s backing this). 
He’s not suggesting corruption in any way, but that we’ll be surprised once we find out who is actually funding this. 

There are clearly some actors who are not the 12 clubs involved, but figures separate to this. 

6 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Agreed. The ESL Executives must have a plan. Unless they assumed players would just follow the money. Not much of a super league if the top players will not follow.

Personally, I can’t see this going ahead now. I think plans will be scrapped. None the less, these clubs should all be punished. Will they? I think not. Water under the bridge more than likely. 

It's not just players following money. Agents will have a big sway.

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

I think we need to realise that the ESL was inevitable and has been for yonks. The rest of football must sever ties with these clubs and let them do their own thing. I'm not convinced it will be the success that most think. Sky etc aren't daft and will go with the majority of subscribers. The opportunity is now there to rectify all that his been wrong with football and return us to some sustainable normality. The focus being sustainable!! To me the future is bright.

Agree with this. BT got The Champions League. There was hardly a race to subscribe with them because of it. 

15 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Don't think that suits those involved as it doesn't provide certainty of income which is one of the key factors in the proposed breakaway.

Hypothtically if this was to be offered by the Slimey 12 however to push the ESL through then you are still left with a scenario where football is now governed by 15 clubs rather than UEFA and if they aren't getting there own way in 5 years time they'll presumably have the power to do whatever they want i.e. expel teams they no longer want in the league etc.

Thanks for the reply Dolman. You're right in why the clubs are doing what they are doing, to get that income and you're probably right that the slimy 12 would become a new corrupt power.

I think in my clunky way I was wondering if there is so much opposition to this purely due to the manner it has been done rather than a European League per se, and, if a "fair" European League was set up would the impact this might have on domestic football particularly on clubs beneath the top leagues be looked at or would it just plough on regardless?

Hmm, not sure I've really explained myself but there we go! 

Archived