IGNORED

European Super League

MC RISK77

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Hopefully the initiative isn't lost and this sparks some actual reform rather than everyone patting themselves on the back and going for a pint whilst Perez, Allegri and Woodward plot the new version of the ESL to be released next year.

ESL will happen at some point in time.

14 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

But you have to assume it will happen again and get things in place to fight it even stronger next time. Surely there’s enough brains in football to anticipate that?

I assume so but this isn’t going to weaken these clubs , it will strengthen there position, they will get their money one way or another. 

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Just returning to this question I posed yesterday in terms of who exactly is funding this. 
Ole and a couple of others answered that JP Morgan have put the loan up, but my question is who is actually funding it. 
Who is it that JP Morgan are lending this money to? There must be some other folks behind this - who will be paying JP Morgan back?? Who have they loaned this to?

The loan IS the funding, which will be covered by securing TV and sponsorship contracts (which don't yet exist, because the league doesn't yet either).

JP Morgan have agreed to put up the lending to be paid back over 23 years, with the league paying €264m a year which includes about 2-3% interest.

The league has created a new company in Spain that the clubs jointly own, which is liable for the debt but will own the future media/sponsorship rights.

A private banking / asset management firm in Spain used by Florentino Pérez appears to be coordinating this all for the league: http://keycapital.com/en/

There doesn't need to be "someone" (i.e. a private equity investor) as JP Morgan provides debt (lower cost funding), guaranteed on future TV rights etc.

Contrast if there were some private investors (which I think is what you're asking), they'd effectively own a big share of the league and extract that profit.  

4 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Barcelona now apparently pulling out 

2 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Atletico Madrid pulled out now 

Next it will be Rudolph pulling out! :) 

18 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

You have to have one person who will stick up for it to show the proposal has at least been thought out but then teams will drop out. It’s a perfect marketing strategy, gauge the market, get people upset with one particular facet and then change it and come back.

The 6 will end up with a bigger slice regardless, maybe that was the intention to start with.

Man City out now!

21 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

That’s ridiculous. The clubs involved would know and if it’s been discussed for as long as they say, it would have been communicated, risk assessments, everything would have been done. This league was never intended to take place either at all or just this soon.

The problem they have created for themselves is there chairman and chief executive etc all had to resign their positions in uefa and other people have now been voted in so they have managed to lose power 

This is fantastic and it shows that the voices of fans can still be heard. Those leading the project are going to lose a lot of money. As someone mentioned, surely the position of all owners and Chief Executives are pretty much untenable. They’ve shown their hand and it’s clear that they care little about the views of fans. 

5 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Now punish them all severely!!! 

You can bet that the owners/chief execs of the prodigal clubs will be apologetic and pleading that they realised that the best way to achieve the reforms that are “for the good of the wider game” was from within the established premier and EFL structure.

They will also say something along the lines that they want to be fully involved  in full and frank discussion wit their fellow premier league cubs and other “stakeholders” as to how those reforms can best be achieved, but will conveniently avoid saying anything about how they also want to see how they can squeeze more money out of the system at the expense of “lesser clubs”.

They will probably be welcomed back with open arms by the other clubs that will be breating a sigh of relief that their tv revenue will not be much reduced in the near future.

3 minutes ago, Blockb said:

The problem they have created for themselves is there chairman and chief executive etc all had to resign their positions in uefa and other people have now been voted in so they have managed to lose power 

I had not thought of that - but that is brilliant, I hope the people that are left vote to keep the same format for CL as exist currently.

I hope the clubs involved who have spent waaaaay beyond their means are forced to scramble for survival and experience life struggling in thier respective pyramids for a few seasons. The "legacy fans" who they have not pissed off to the point of never bothering again may stay, the "new fans" they were chasing in Asia, Middle East etc wont give a toss and will watch and support someone else.

6 minutes ago, Redpool said:

All 12 club executives meeting tonight. Looks like their dream is dead.

As others have highlighted. Severe punishments must be given. Far beyond usual fines. 

Ideally, and equitably, the clubs should be chucked out of the premier league, but can never see that happening.

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

You can bet that the owners/chief execs of the prodigal clubs will be apologetic and pleading that they realised that the best way to achieve the reforms that are “for the good of the wider game” was from within the established premier and EFL structure.

They will also say something along the lines that they want to be fully involved  in full and frank discussion wit their fellow premier league cubs and other “stakeholders” as to how those reforms can best be achieved, but will conveniently avoid saying anything about how they also want to see how they can squeeze more money out of the system at the expense of “lesser clubs”.

They will probably be welcomed back with open arms by the other clubs that will be breating a sigh of relief that their tv revenue will not be much reduced in the near future.

Guaranteed...football's authorities are lower than a snake's belly.

As a fan of any of those Clubs involved, it would show real power if they refused to attend games or buy season tickets until those owners have left. 

If SL had gone down this route if in that position, that's what I'd do. He wouldn't though.

For all the flack they get, SL and JL have decent intentions when compared to other owners.

On a side note...I think we as fans in our keyboard warrior state have driven JL out and will eventually with SL.

For all their 'faults'...no one is perfect...I think as a fan base we are fortunate to have them. 

Looking at the bigger picture of football as a whole when I say that.

Archived