IGNORED

European Super League

MC RISK77

14 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Sorry if it has been mentioned but I find a bit rich when ex premiership footballers on Sky get on their high horse and talk about football being for the fans and that it is just greed that motivated this super League idea. Well I thought with most premiership clubs and players that greed  is what motivated them already. What's new. This is just a new version of it. Squeeze as much out of the football supporter as possible through ticket prices, costs at the game , replica shirts etc, etc.

Disagree, it's the clubs that have offered higher and higher wages to try to attract the best players they can.  If someone offers you a bucket full of cash, would you refuse it?  The Premier League is a hugely lucrative product, and it's only right that the people that create that product - the players - get a fair share of the value they create.  Or should we go back to the old days when BBC and ITV collude to keep down the price of television rights?

2 minutes ago, Crackers Corner said:

Just a thought, if all 6 get busted down to conference with only 2 up 2 of the teams will be there longer than the gas were and be stuck for 3 years, imagine the revenue for the lower leagues.

I don't thnk it will happen but it may give them some empathy for real football clubs

What has been staggering is how badly the ESL clubs played their hand. They didn't have a united front, the messaging was non-existent, they didn't get key staff on board prior to the announcement, they let the managers and players sweat on camera. Appalling planning and PR.

34 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Sorry if it has been mentioned but I find a bit rich when ex premiership footballers on Sky get on their high horse and talk about football being for the fans and that it is just greed that motivated this super League idea. Well I thought with most premiership clubs and players that greed  is what motivated them already. What's new. This is just a new version of it. Squeeze as much out of the football supporter as possible through ticket prices, costs at the game , replica shirts etc, etc.

Yea I disagree about the ex footballers. They were massive in their scathing reviews of this all. They may have become rich from football. Maybe too rich but they gave back to all fans these past few days. I applaud them for speaking out so freely on it. I just wish more players and managers from the actual clubs had but realise in the moment it is maybe hard to go against your employer. 

I don't quite understand the ESL, but it's an exciting new format.

All 6 English teams knocked out already?

In reality though, this does need to trigger some major changes in the game. All clubs, ours included, now need to recognise the importance of fans (not customers)

1 minute ago, Clevedon Red said:

Arsenal even apologised, the only club to do so.

Only sorry 'cos it didn't work out though.

If ever there was 48hrs in football at the elite level that told you clearer than ever how completely out of touch the respective boards, chairmen etc are with their fanbases - this has been it. Did they really think that it would be so easy as to announce this and the fans to simply stand back and applaud 'yeah, great idea...'..?

And just because these 6 clubs have withdrawn, the intent was there. And the respective fanbases shouldn't let this drop now, along with the entire football community. And neither should the football authorities. Would love them all to start on -30pts next season.

4 minutes ago, Cider_boy said:

I don't quite understand the ESL, but it's an exciting new format.

All 6 English teams knocked out already........

....failed to make it through the group stages!

3 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Would love them all to start on -30pts next season.

Would like them banned from European competition for a good few years, that's what they really care about. They'll then struggle to attract the best players as a result, may bring about a more competitive premier league for a while?

52 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

It’s been mentioned many times and yes I find it very funny. 

It's staggering how badly this entire shit show has been managed by the owners of those 6 clubs. It's been made even more amusing by the fact that Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool all drew their games in the last two days against allegedly smaller opposition.

These 6 have made themselves look so bad that their arguing power to pressure any more favourable changes to European football is near zero.

Change or we quit is hardly an effective threat anymore.

The response to these last two days must be effective and restore some semblance of control over the way football is run.

I doubt any of the affected groups, the Premier League, FA, UEFA and all lack the guts to do it.

19 minutes ago, mozo said:

What has been staggering is how badly the ESL clubs played their hand. They didn't have a united front, the messaging was non-existent, they didn't get key staff on board prior to the announcement, they let the managers and players sweat on camera. Appalling planning and PR.

Dan Roan said that many of the sides were talked into it on the arm, and only Real Madrid and Man U were 100% pushing.

TBH once you had no German clubs or PSG the entire idea was already an uphill struggle.

I'm not in the least bit surprised that, like the 11pm drunk who thinks he's a hard man, everything folded after only implied threats.

How football reacts now will be interesting. It should raise all sorts of questions about where the game is going. I'm not hopeful they'll be answered.

43 minutes ago, Cider_boy said:

Would like them banned from European competition for a good few years, that's what they really care about. They'll then struggle to attract the best players as a result, may bring about a more competitive premier league for a while?

Man City would be 44pts

Man Utd would be 36pts

Chelsea would be 25pts

Liverpool would be 23pts

Tottenham would be 20pts

Arsenal would be 16pts

(based on current league positions)

How bloody cool would that be to see Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool & Chelsea fighting relegation whilst Man Utd & Man City struggle to even qualify for Europa League in mid table?!

28 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Dan Roan said that many of the sides were talked into it on the arm, and only Real Madrid and Man U were 100% pushing.

TBH once you had no German clubs or PSG the entire idea was already an uphill struggle.

I'm not in the least bit surprised that, like the 11pm drunk who thinks he's a hard man, everything folded after only implied threats.

How football reacts now will be interesting. It should raise all sorts of questions about where the game is going. I'm not hopeful they'll be answered.

It will all get swept under the carpet and the gravy train will roll on.

Makes me laugh the outrage from the other 14 PL clubs. About half of those we’re trying to get relegation off the table during the first COVID lockdown as they were petrified of going down. But that was ok, this is different as it wasn’t going to benefit them. If they were invited they’d of jumped at it.

Archived