IGNORED

European Super League

MC RISK77

Bit of news on this.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12316995/european-super-league-uefa-begins-disciplinary-proceedings-against-barcelona-real-madrid-and-juventus

The big two in Spain, plus Juventus- it is theoretically possible that UEFA could ban them from the CL in 2021/22, maybe even a 2 season ban over their refusal to renounce the Super League!!

As I said before, I think the other 9 could be getting off lightly tbh, but this would be a statement if it happens. It does though raise a q if it happens, as to why UEFA couldn't just have refused Man City and PSG entry to 2020/21 CL given it's their competition over the FFP debacles.

The questions about FIFA's involvement/mixed messaging that I alluded to a while ago still won't go away btw.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10004108-report-fifas-gianni-infantino-being-pressured-to-explain-his-role-with-super-league

https://www.juvefc.com/fifa-president-infantino-being-questioned-on-european-super-league-involvement/

Seems rather odd that he would be vehemently against this, given his openness to one in Africa or a crossborder League there- and there was also talk about a joint US-Mexican competition which he was fine with. Whether this was past or present is unclear, as is the veracity of these claims. That said, FIFA and UEFA are competitors and I'd argue strategic rivals too- an ESL with some FIFA involvement would massively weaken UEFA.

Big clubs would benefit- and FIFA involvement would surely be nice and tidy arrangement wise for said Clubs and Leagues, chance to still play in WC, chance to keep Clubs releasing players to WC and FIFA arrangement would confer a certain legitimacy. Of course it would have wrecked plenty but in terms of FIFA, the "Big" Clubs and a Super League...?

https://josimarfootball.com/infantinos-double-game/

Sepp Blatter clearly had to go BUT as well as his stance on VAR, one thing I will say is that he was never in favour of this concept, or similar ones in other bits of the World. Starting to think Infantino is worse personally....

Seems a bit of a pathetic punishment?

The six Premier League clubs involved in the European Super League (ESL) are set to be fined over £20m between them.

Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea Manchester City, Tottenham and Arsenal wanted to form a breakaway league, a plan that was widely criticised across football and by the UK government.

Further cash penalties and points deductions will be applied should they attempt a similar project again.

Token gesture but personally I don't believe big fines would discourage the clubs from trying to breakaway again in future. It comes down to the future profits they think they will get in each scenario, I don't think the football authorities should push the 12 clubs away too much. However with fan feeling I think the football clubs are trapped in the current setup for the time being anyway, the clubs can't snatch more control of football for now because there is too much opposition. I imagine it would end up running into long court battles if there were stronger punishments and UEFA or whoever would face a fair amount of risk from that.

Whilst this story has happened UEFA have still sneaked in 2 champions league positions being awarded to these clubs if they fail to qualify through the league which I find to be an awful move and needs to be reversed, for me that is the authorities being in bed with the clubs in a worse way than not dishing out harsh punishments.

34 minutes ago, Super said:

Seems a bit of a pathetic punishment?

The six Premier League clubs involved in the European Super League (ESL) are set to be fined over £20m between them.

Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea Manchester City, Tottenham and Arsenal wanted to form a breakaway league, a plan that was widely criticised across football and by the UK government.

Further cash penalties and points deductions will be applied should they attempt a similar project again.

It's like sending a parking fine to Jeff Bezos.

A points deduction next season would have been the only way to hurt them.

8 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I agree 100% - you have to hit them very hard to dissuade them again. However, they have too much power (and they know it) and that Elephant in the room wont go away.

9 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Agreed.

Any fine would be useless as they can afford it.

What would hurt them is a significant points deduction so that they flirt with relegation next season. 

Just now, One Team said:

Agreed.

What would hurt them is a significant points deduction so that they flirt with relegation next season. 

Or at minimum, worry about European qualification. 

12 minutes ago, One Team said:

Agreed.

The risk there is similar to when FIFA didn't give England the 2018 world cup and then all of a sudden the BBC were running programmes about corruption in the organisation. If the people doing the punishing had their own house in order then it wouldn't be an issue, but if you punish too hard the clubs are powerful enough to come after them with extra scrutiny about their own affairs. If they go to war it wouldn't be practical because both sides are bound to suffer.

'Punishment' woefully light.

What I would have liked to have seen and this bit can only come from UEFA albeit perhaps in accordance with domestic FAs and Leagues.

Big 6 here, big 3 in Spain and the 3 big if not necessarily the top 3 sides in Spain all banned from the 2021/22 CL, in addition to the fines and future punishments if they try it again.

As for the holdout 3, ie Barcelona, Juventus, Real Madrid a deadline to renounce or a ban from the CL that extends into 2022/23.

'Punishment' woefully light.

What I would have liked to have seen and this bit can only come from UEFA albeit perhaps in accordance with domestic FAs and Leagues.

Big 6 here, big 3 in Spain and the 3 big if not necessarily the top 3 sides in Spain all banned from the 2021/22 CL, in addition to the fines and future punishments if they try it again.

As for the holdout 3, ie Barcelona, Juventus, Real Madrid a deadline to renounce or a ban from the CL that extends into 2022/23.

https://www.football-espana.net/2021/06/09/uefa-suspend-disciplinary-proceedings-on-real-madrid-barcelona-and-juventus

Will try to find the article about some kind of Court Ruling too.

Archived