IGNORED

European Super League

MC RISK77

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

Greed. Pure greed.

Interesting to note that the German clubs aren't involved, due to their ownership model.

I was just reading the replies to Arsenal tweeting about it. Not that positive.

Leipzig aren’t bound by the ownership rules 

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

The FA can say your assets (players) do not play for our national team. That harms the worth of these clubs assets. Leagues/FA's can place the offending clubs under transfer embargos now and in future, but also alter how the FC's operate from their academies upwards. Both would affect significantly how the offenders operate (recruit and develop) now and in future.

Football collectively still has a lot of power.

So what? Imagine a world cup without Kane, Sterling, Ronaldo, Messi, Pogba, Fernandes, Pique, Lukaku etc etc etc

The world cup will suffer more than the breakaway league.

It's cutting your nose off to spite your face.

25 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

The simple thing is to kick them out, nullify them and they can faff off and start world soccer stars or whatever. 

Watertight stuff like no transfers from fifa and uefa clubs will kill this quickly. 

Football can then go back to being for the people. 

That's what they want.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

WPs pretty much guaranteed if you play for a club in the top two tranche league, e.g. the top tier of Italy, Germany, France, Spain, Belgium, Turkey, Holland, etc.  Play below those leagues, e,g France 2nd Tier and you won’t pass.

....and I still say **** ‘em!

Use the opportunity to improve the product.  Entice the other 14 clubs away from the PL.  Sounds fanciful....but those 14 clubs must be feeling well pissed off.  Power grab from the other side.

The ESL6 can play in their own 6 team PL.....watch the tv money go ⬇️

Premier League TV money will be hit the hardest. Our domestic leagues will face further financial turmoil.

13 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Absolutely superb from Neville. Can’t see how anyone who genuinely loves the game can disagree with a word of what he says.

He’d make a great FIFA or UEFA president.

Fantastic from a man who earned a living through a league, and now a platform, who tried to do similar with the English game, though I'll forgive him for that.

However let's not forget what he has been part of with Salford, throwing money around and buying their way up the pyramid.

He's right with what he's said, but can't help but see some hypocrisy in it

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I've noticed in the replies to tweets from the clubs in question stating their position it's their fans from overseas who like the idea. All of those clubs have many fans from Africa, America, Asia etc who don't necessarily relate to the reasons why us as UK based football fans don't want this to happen.

It's clear that this move is mainly geared towards those supporters. 

Hasn't it been said before that with all the overseas deals these clubs don't actually need the fans in the grounds any more apart from from to feed their egos!

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

So what? Imagine a world cup without Kane, Sterling, Ronaldo, Messi, Pogba, Fernandes, Pique, Lukaku etc etc etc

That's what they want.

Premier League TV money will be hit the hardest. Our domestic leagues will face further financial turmoil.

PL planning to sue the 6 clubs.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I've noticed in the replies to tweets from the clubs in question stating their position it's their fans from overseas who like the idea. All of those clubs have many fans from Africa, America, Asia etc who don't necessarily relate to the reasons why us as UK based football fans don't want this to happen.

Exactly. The hard-core fans are a tiny minority compared with the global market.

Man U stood down from European club association and all the Italian clubs. Gary Neville was spot on yesterday, disgusting and pure greed. The Spanish and Italian clubs are all in a financial mess so trying to save their backsides. The legal teams are in for a big pay day! 

1 minute ago, Loco Rojo said:

Really good point.  They'll probably up the amount of money the others receive to placate them. This is going to be interesting to see how it plays out.

They should get booted out of ghe prem have to reapply to renter Football pyamid like rangers did for starters if even allowed to compete again. Booted out of all competitions which for arsenal and spurs who have the gall to consider thmselves as football elite is a joke. Its a clear breach of fa an uefa rules. Its far more dangerous to the game not to do anything as football chairman will be queing up to sue for damages and these clubs will effectivly rule football. 

You only have to look at our 2 main domestic cups where one is a league only closed shop and is shite. The fa cup however is a far better tournament band all the better that a club like yate town can dream of getting to Wembley or pkaying a prem team.

Barcelona have an easy way our btw as this was negotiated by their previous chairman so they can blame him and backtrack.

11 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Most of those fans barely know football in this country exists below PL level.

I went on business trip to the Middle east a couple of years ago, and a collegaue in Bahrain told me he was a Man Utd fan, and then told me his brothers were fans of Liverpool. He asked me who I supported, and when I told him Bristol City, he at least mentioned Man Utd had lost to them (ofc I told him i was actually there for that match!). His follow up questions were quite enlightening - he asked what league we were in and then asked why he rarely or never hears of the 2nd professional league (e.g. championship) in England - I explained to him the  pyramid structure - he had no idea that our country had so many professional clubs, he assumed it was 2 leagues only.

2 minutes ago, cityal said:

Most of those fans barely know football in this country exists below PL level.

I went on business to the Middle east a couple of years ago, and a collegaue in Bahrain told me he was a Man Utd fan, and then told me his brothers were fans of Liverpool. He asked me who I supported, and when I told him Bristol City, he at least mentioned Man Utd had lost to them (ofc I told him i was actually there for that match!). His follow up questions were quite enlightening - he asked what league we were in and then asked why he rarely or never hears of the 2nd professional league (e.g. championship) in England - I explained to him the  pyramid structure - he had no idea that our country had so many professional clubs, he assumed it was 2 leagues only.

Same with armchair fans in this country though.  “Yeah but who is your Premier League team?” is a common response when I say who I support to one of them.  A ‘massive’ spurs fan (who has been to white hart lane fewer times than I have, which is twice) was baffled when I said I didn’t have one! 

15 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

It's interesting and ironic that this comes when very few people are travelling abroad. It's all about TV, isn't it.

.... And has been since the formation of the Premier league. 

You reap what you sow! 

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

Short term punishments on these clubs would be a so what v the welfare of the greater game. Their choice, their consequences. 

I was highlighting that football as an entity still has power. Football can deny them opportunity to play and finance. These clubs can be punished and forced to reset their behaviours. Resetting football would not be cutting noses off ..  Football in the UK needs regulation. 

23 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

It's interesting and ironic that this comes when very few people are travelling abroad. It's all about TV, isn't it.

Mostly about money and that's derived from TV. Just look at the debt levels of the clubs involved.  Scary stuff.  Anyway as I've already said, bye bye and good riddance.

18 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez, the first chairman of the ESL, said the new competition would "help football at every level".

Have they actually explained how this bit happens??

I strongly suspect the highlighted part is just BS and rather than "help football at every level" this will actually be to line the pockets of owners, agents and players.

However if they were to higlight a proper plan and concrete (constitutional) comitment to genuinely share the wealth and fund the pyramids in these countries even down to graas roots (incl e.g. youth, disabled football) then fans may be less against it. However as it stands I really cannot see how any club outside of their little clique benefit. How for example does this scheme prevent another Bury happening?

Given though this scheme seems to offer a dozen or so clubs a place in the most elite european midweek competition in perpetuity I cannot see any way these odious owners will have the best interests of other football clubs at heart.

The formation of some sort of “super league”  has been mooted for some time now, but this seems different, with a feeling of finality about it.

Yes, it might just be the big clubs posturing in order to gain further financial concessions from UEFA as far as the champions league is concerned, but the problem is that if UEFA do concede anything now ,how long will it be before they are fielding demands for further concessions from the very same clubs? Similarly, how long before the likes of Man City, Man U and the likes are making demands of the premier league or FA for more favourable treatment than the restive the premier league?

Accordingly, I think that UEFA should get agreement from the governing bodies of the leagues affected with an across the board “ put up or shut up” demand. The ultimatum should be severely punitive to the clubs wishing to go to go it alone - banning from the domestic leagues and cup competitions of the association they will leave, players banned from European and International matches and that if the super league fail or clubs wish to return to domestic competition that they do from the bottom of that associations pyramid/league structure.

Personally, I blame Megan Markle and think she is “H"!

I'm asking myself what will this mean for the clubs that are left in the premier league obviously there will be 6 vacancies, will they just promote all 6 of the clubs that finish in those positions in the Championship then all the other top sixes? where will it end.

17 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Fantastic from a man who earned a living through a league, and now a platform, who tried to do similar with the English game, though I'll forgive him for that.

However let's not forget what he has been part of with Salford, throwing money around and buying their way up the pyramid.

Point is, Salford are still in the pyramid. They’ve worked they way up. They have to earn the right to play in a higher division. And every team’s success and position in the pyramid is largely dependent on their financial means - where would we be without Lansdown’s investment?

A super league with teams entering without earning it and immune from relegation, is a very different prospect. I don’t see any hypocrisy in Neville’s position.

26 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

It’s not really hypocritical as he said he has no problem with money in football but he’s talking about the closed shop and that the wealth is shared amongst those clubs only. If you win the ESL as an invited club you’ll still make far less than clubs who are founder members for just competing in it  

23 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yeah, do they have a case? It's literally their only hope.

Maybe.

4 minutes ago, cityal said:

Have they actually explained how this bit happens??

I strongly suspect the highlighted part is just BS and rather than "help football at every level" this will actually be to line the pockets of owners, agents and players.

However if they were to higlight a proper plan and concrete (constitutional) comitment to genuinely share the wealth and fund the pyramids in these countries even down to graas roots (incl e.g. youth, disabled football) then fans may be less against it. However as it stands I really cannot see how any club outside of their little clique benefit. How for example does this scheme prevent another Bury happening?

Given though this scheme seems to offer a dozen or so clubs a place in the most elite european midweek competition in perpetuity I cannot see any way these odious owners will have the best interests of other football clubs at heart.

Supposedly through solidarity payments.  Watch those get cut over time, and cut as the ESL becomes boring.

So there is a £4 billion pot to set this up. 
Where is this cash coming from? Presumably a fair amount from sponsorships/advertisers, but I guess the majority is from TV? Happy to be corrected. 
If so, should fans express their anger at whichever TV company(ies) are funding this?

I assume Sky or BT aren’t involved as it will affect their existing revenue streams? 

So who’s funding it? 

Just now, Harry said:

Where is this cash coming from? Presumably a fair amount from sponsorships/advertisers, but I guess the majority is from TV? Happy to be corrected. 
If so, should fans express their anger at whichever TV company(ies) are funding this?

I assume Sky or BT aren’t involved as it will affect their existing revenue streams? 

So who’s funding it? 

I did wonder this. For them to be so confident in officially announcing it would suggest to me that the funding is most certainly in place, where it is all coming from though is another question entirely..

It must be broadcasting rights funding the lion share but what networks have agreed to it i wonder?

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

So who’s funding it? 

USA bank name JP Morgan or something like that

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

So who’s funding it? 

China tv and or Russian Tv...? Duck knows

tech companies, online streaming?

I think how this plays out will ultimately come down to one of two scenarios.

Either Bayern, PSG and Dortmund hold their ground, one or two of the existing twelve start to wobble and the whole thing falls apart.

Or the twelve breakaway clubs hold their ground and Bayern, PSG and Dortmund ultimately join them. 

I don't reckon it will go ahead without those three clubs. 

Archived