IGNORED

European Super League

MC RISK77

Not read the whole thread so unsure if anyone has made this point. 

A European super league might make sense to these huge clubs, but what about the fans? How many fans will be able to afford to follow their club around Europe every fortnight. Sure the clubs will pick up tv money, but what if the fans turn their backs to start following local clubs i.e Oldham, Preston, Tranmere? Could turn out alright for the rest of us. 

Just now, Grey Fox said:

These clubs are not bothered by local fans, they are looking to sell TV rights across the World 

But as we have seen football is shite in half empty stadiums. Unfortunately I could see Man Utd and Arsenal fans making a stand, possibly Man City but the fans of the other three teams are slags who’ll lap it up.

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

But as we have seen football is shite in half empty stadiums. Unfortunately I could see Man Utd and Arsenal fans making a stand, possibly Man City but the fans of the other three teams are slags who’ll lap it up.

I had a gander on a Liverpool forum. Only could read a few posts . Some of them actually want it. If only to piss of Everton. Didn’t think I could dislike them more 

3 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I had a gander on a Liverpool forum. Only could read a few posts . Some of them actually want it. 

I think they will find that only “some of them” will be able to afford to go to a game. If this happens. The famous Anfield roar will be replaced by rich people Munching on sandwiches.

7 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Not read the whole thread so unsure if anyone has made this point. 

A European super league might make sense to these huge clubs, but what about the fans? How many fans will be able to afford to follow their club around Europe every fortnight. Sure the clubs will pick up tv money, but what if the fans turn their backs to start following local clubs i.e Oldham, Preston, Tranmere? Could turn out alright for the rest of us. 

I think these greedy ******* are thinking about how much more money they can make from any new TV rights from a world wide fan base rather than c60k/70k match day visitors. Much bigger potential for growing income I would think? 

The EPL and FA have to take immediate steps to expel these clubs. If they allow these clubs to have a EPL Practice Squad (deliberately using NFL terminology) and a ESL squad then they may as well come out in support of the idea. You can see it now - EPL Season Ticket for the masses, ESL Season Ticket for the more “discerning” fan!! They have to be kicked out of the English game if it goes any further.

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

My comment was very much tongue in cheek sarcasm, as you were and are completely right - it was always only ever about money! 

I would also sue them for every pound they have had since the last TV deal was agreed and expel them from all cup competitions and relegate the lot of them to league 2 

3 minutes ago, INCRED said:

I would also sue them for every pound they have had since the last TV deal was agreed and expel them from all cup competitions and relegate the lot of them to league 2 

How many would show up to see Man U play the gash???.....obviously 50,000 gash heads☹️

19 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

I think these greedy ******* are thinking about how much more money they can make from any new TV rights from a world wide fan base rather than c60k/70k match day visitors. Much bigger potential for growing income I would think? 

Of course. But I'm thinking more of the average Manc or scouse blue collar worker, who hasn't got money to burn, and fundamentally is no different to the likes of us. Enjoy supporting their local clubs and having a craic with their mates. 

I know lots of people think supporters of these top 6 clubs are all glory hunters, but many will be no different from 90% of the football fans in this country. They'll soon be priced out and undoubtedly replaced by tourist fans. But the bread and butter working class football fans will still follow the game, just lower down the pyramid. It may take a while for allegiances to change but I can really see "smaller" clubs picking up new fans. 

Maybe not the gAss though...

I would love these clubs to try and leave good riddance i say EFL has far more passion. I don't really watch the prem anymore anyway, last time i was glued was when Leicester won it, it just bores me in general. Plus so called fans of these clubs think they know more about football than you just because they support a better team. 

They could just start a new super League. Start New clubs for this league. With no connection to current clubs. With the cash these guys have, they would attract top players, and not be restricted on what they can pay them. 

Manchester athletic with Ronaldo and agro Vs Arab Emirates FC with teves and carvani 

China have tried this in some way but the clubs are restricted to how meny 'trophy' players they can have (I think 80/90% of the squad have to be from China) 

Without this restriction, and without it being in China, you could see it working. They just want to steal pre existing customer bases. 

It's wrong and I hate football for being like this.

I actually think all of this is hilarious and the powers at be are reaping what they’ve sewn. Although it’s clearly a Trojan horse so they can have the CL recreated on their terms.

The EPL was founded upon the sickening greed in football which in turn attracted foreign consortiums and owners who saw the opportunity to milk a cash cow.

The writing was on the wall when the Glasiers got away with taking ownership (via a buy to let) of one of the most illustrious clubs in the world . Some principled United fans tried to protest but too many idiots swallowed it and still put their money in. How the hell was it allowed  to happen?

now these same owners want even more and feel it’s their right to be guaranteed more tv money even if they don’t qualify for top level European competition on merit. Who’d of thought it eh ???

1 minute ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Kick them out of the league right now. 
why should the rest of us wait around for them to make up their mind? 
Let’s make it up for them.

kick them out before they can claim any trophy or euro place. 
good fking riddance. 

....and kick the ladder away after they have clambered up into their new league.

A move like this should carry jeopardy. For any club making a move to a super league there should be no ties to English football, so no second team being squirrelled into the premier league or EFL. I’d even go so far as to stop their academy, U18s and U 23 teams playing any English premier league or EFL equivalent teams.

If these clubs are prepared to make a break with the established football structure in order to gain huge financial rewards, then make it a full break with the English football establishment. I’d also hope there is provision made so that if any of these breakaway clubs should ever wish to rejoin English football, that they will do so from the bottom of the pyramid.

Football is big business & the pandemic has focussed the financial minds even more. The romance deserted football years ago. Let's get over ourselves & try and remember that times have moved on. The hallowed football pyramid really ceased to exist with the advent of the PL - dog eat dog - if you invest the most & attract the most then why continue with an unferior product for the sake of others?

Football changed years ago from what us kids in the 70's & 80's knew it - for the better? Not for me personally but it is what it is.

Neville calling for points reductions - buffoon.

What will be will be.

This has always been coming just like the death knell for Sky Sports as big clubs self broadcast through their own TV channels - the Leeds owner was talking about this years ago.

Sky have had the monopoly for years - bricking themselves now just like the cosy club of ex-players who front the mundane over priced coverage. What a shame for them.

We must also not forget the incompetence of the PL & the FA - look at VAR for goodness sake.

All the so called big 6 I personally don't give a stuff about but, they should be allowed to fly if that is what they want to do.

The rest of football will find a way - I mean, outside of the so called 'big 6'  there would still be some decent clubs left in there.

Change is a constant.

Let them go, the world is changing rapidly and collectively there are far more fans of the remaining clubs then there of these 12

It will end up a weird conglomerate of brands and it would leave a more enjoyable landscape for real football fans.

These "clubs" have very little to do with the areas they are supposed to represent; full of international players/managers/chairmen with hardly any actually from Manchester/Liverpool Chelsea etc.

So the only real link is that they are based in these places; Take the names away let them be called super league a, b, c,  or whatever then see how the rich mens play things get on.

Manchester United will be renamed World United, Liverpool get to be World Pool 2 etc.

According to this, the clubs still want to play in their domestic competitions as well as have the extra £XXXXM. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you and wanting your cake and eat it!

https://www.givemesport.com/1677538-european-super-league-plans-set-to-be-announced-for-breakaway-super-league

Sod them, kick them out!

34 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

I actually think all of this is hilarious and the powers at be are reaping what they’ve sewn. Although it’s clearly a Trojan horse so they can have the CL recreated on their terms.

The EPL was founded upon the sickening greed in football which in turn attracted foreign consortiums and owners who saw the opportunity to milk a cash cow.

The writing was on the wall when the Glasiers got away with taking ownership (via a buy to let) of one of the most illustrious clubs in the world . Some principled United fans tried to protest but too many idiots swallowed it and still put their money in. How the hell was it allowed  to happen?

now these same owners want even more and feel it’s their right to be guaranteed more tv money even if they don’t qualify for top level European competition on merit. Who’d of thought it eh ???

This really needles you doesn't it ?

Just reading the thread now. 

Neville is a bit laissez-faire on football financial matters for my liking but he's got this one bang on.

The clubs...most of them I really wouldn't expect any better from. One that surprised me a bit was Atletico, not as monied or traditional elite as the other 11.

Fair play to Bayern and PSG/German and French clubs. In the case of Qatari owned FFP breaching maybe PSG, not really words I thought I'd write.

These 12. They all need hitting and hitting hard, chances are it's a negotiating ploy.

Good news. Agnelli who has been quite pro reform set to lose role at European level in coming days.

Also on a side note, quite nice to see his Juventus lose to one of the rising (but not monied) sides Atalanta today. Their name of course isn't on the Super League door and they won't be invited in.

Guess who is higher in Serie A at this moment in time however, plus who has done better combined in CL last two years of the two? It ain't Juventus...

Read that UEFA are looking to sue for a large amount.

I remember reading earlier this year that a European Super League may well be unlawful/illegal. A closed shop element surely would cause this to be the case.

It's being repeatedly said that if this went ahead it would end club football as we know it.

I've said this before, it absolutely wouldn't. The league structure would remain the same. Winning the league would still remain the same. UEFA would still have European cups.

It would be no different than if 6 clubs in the top flight went into liquidation. They would simply cease to exist in our league.

I think it would massively similar to the US soccer league in the 70's. Flooded with money and foreign players to begin with it then died a slow painful death before being wound up in the early 80's.

Archived