IGNORED

Bristol City Investment

mozo

The signs are that significant investment in our club could be announced any day now.

But strangely, we're not even talking about it.

There's a lot of outrage about the Euro Super league with the likes of the Glazers and John W Henry / Fenway Sports poised to trash the history of Man U and Liverpool respectively, but we seem very calm about the fact that City could be half-owned by American business very soon.

The USA, a country in which 'Soccer' is derided as a cissy sport.

So how do we feel about the short term changes if, as has been mooted, we see foreign investment at City?

Is this just a sensible move to push the club to the next level? Or are we soon to become the Bristol Robins franchise with hot dogs and cheerleaders but no soul?

And is US investment better or worse than Chinese, or Russian or Saudi oil money?

American is better, because whatever your personal political views at least there is a decent chance it was made fairly ethically.

When the Glazers took over Man Utd I did have a bit of a laugh at the owners, but at least I know where Walmart make their money.

Russian owners like Abramovich & Demin are all basically thieves, mates of Putin who stole hugely from their people before getting out, whilst Chinese owners are going to be dodgy as **** if they are approved by their disgusting Government.

Anyone who thinks anything to do with Dubai is going to be remotely ethical (hello Man City) wants educating.

16 minutes ago, mozo said:

Is this just a sensible move to push the club to the next level? Or are we soon to become the Bristol Robins franchise with hot dogs and cheerleaders but no soul?

I always felt that hotdogs and cheer leaders were the very essence of my soul.

2 minutes ago, !james said:

Is this just from the Lansdown interview about seeking new investment or have I missed something? 

Not much more than that, but we sort of know that Ashton courted American business during our pre-season tour a while back and as you say Lansdown confirmed he is looking for investment. I agree with David lloyd's comment on ~OSIB that SL wouldn't go public unless something was already lined up, but this is just speculation.

1 minute ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Really? Tell us more.

Sorry, I made it sound like new rumours have surfaced, but I only meant that it's very plausible. 

Just now, mozo said:

Not much more than that, but we sort of know that Ashton courted American business during our pre-season tour a while back and as you say Lansdown confirmed he is looking for investment. I agree with David lloyd's comment on ~OSIB that SL wouldn't go public unless something was already lined up, but this is just speculation.

Sorry, I made it sound like new rumours have surfaced, but I only meant that it's very plausible. 

Certainly thought provoking.

I wonder if that was the Yanks that have since taken over at Ipswich?

As you say, why would SL go public if there wasn't something in the pipeline?

Hmmmm,

Just now, Bat Fastard said:

Your powers are clearly undiminished!

You've seen the comment about the 'blocked trap 1', that might have been the result! ;)

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Certainly thought provoking.

I wonder if that was the Yanks that have since taken over at Ipswich?

As you say, why would SL go public if there wasn't something in the pipeline?

Hmmmm,

You've seen the comment about the 'blocked trap 1', that might have been the result! ;)

You are clearly some performer!

47 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

American is better, because whatever your personal political views at least there is a decent chance it was made fairly ethically.

When the Glazers took over Man Utd I did have a bit of a laugh at the owners, but at least I know where Walmart make their money.

Russian owners like Abramovich & Demin are all basically thieves, mates of Putin who stole hugely from their people before getting out, whilst Chinese owners are going to be dodgy as **** if they are approved by their disgusting Government.

Anyone who thinks anything to do with Dubai is going to be remotely ethical (hello Man City) wants educating.

I think you are right to be skeptical of the countries you've mentioned. 

However, the idea that American or British money is going to be ethical is laughable. Walmart for example are a horrendous company as are many others both here and there. 

Footballs ******. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agree with @GrahamC on this but there are no guarantees about the type of funding regardless of location but some parts of the world are sketchier than others.

Walmart eg (Kroenke) yes we know, where it's from and it's lawful but there is certainly criticism of their working practices.

The world is a crap place true, but there is a big difference between places that pay poorly & don’t let you join a Union & concentration camps with forced labour like the Chinese run.

4 minutes ago, redpole said:

Scudamore? Not sure he's interested at this time.

That piece mentions Billy Beane. He's involved at Barnsley, quick search says he's minority owner so don't think EFL Regulations would allow it.

17 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The world is a crap place true, but there is a big difference between places that pay poorly & don’t let you join a Union & concentration camps with forced labour like the Chinese run.

China is a pretty low bar!

Walmart are pretty anti Union so I read,but don't really know enough about it tbh.

Archived