IGNORED

for those who like Subbuteo events

• Admin
55 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

380 mile round trip,  information sparse , but an event featuring Subbuteo .

What's not to like  

Stars of table football game Subbuteo heading to Knighton for quirky Wales  event | County Times

514.jpg

The event is hosted and organised by Haverhill Rovers Table Football Club and will be held on Sunday 4th July 2021. Entrance fee to the event will be £3, under 18s FREE.

The event is sponsored by Wobbly Hobby Shop, Westwood Table Soccer, Subbuteo Collector, FISTF, the English Subbuteo Association (ESA), Subbuteo Online and Table Football Monthly.

The Venue
Hot and cold food is available at the venue and there is also a fully licensed bar.

Getting There
Directions to The Culina Hub, The New Croft, Chalkstone Way, Haverhill, Suffolk CB9 0BW
From North:
Follow A11 until the junction with the A1307, travel towards Haverhill going through the villages of Abington and Linton. At the first roundabout take the left towards the town centre and left again at the second roundabout keeping Sainsburys to your right. Go straight over the mini roundabout and then right at the next one, still heading into town. Continuing straight you will then come across two roundabouts close together, turn left and stay left heading up the hill towards Bury St Edmunds keeping Tesco on your right. Take the second right turn, just after the pedestrian crossing, into Chalkstone Way. Continue straight past Samuel Ward Academy on your left and then you will find the ground on your left. There is a car park at the ground.
From South:
Follow the A1017 towards Haverhill, after the village of Sturmer at the first roundabout go straight over towards the town centre sign posted A143. At the mini roundabout take the right into Chalkstone Way with the Snooker Club on your left. Follow the road around the estate going straight over three mini roundabouts and then you will find the ground on your right. There is a car park at the ground.
From East:
Follow the A143 from Bury St Edmunds towards Haverhill, carrying on past the crossroads for Kedington on your left and Great Wratting on your right. As you come down the hill into Haverhill Chalkstone Way will be on your left before the pedestrian crossing. Continue straight past Samuel Ward Academy on your left and then you will find the ground on your left. There is a car park at the ground.

Places to stay in Haverhill
www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/616/Haverhill-hotel
www.roseandcrownhotelhaverhill.co.uk
www.ninejars.co.uk
www.rosebarne.weebly.com
www.wheelwrightsbandb.co.uk/directions.php

The Event
Government Covid guidance must be followed at all times, further details will be published nearer to the event date.

8am Doors open and stall set up and open all day.
9am The Keith Littler Subbuteo Skills Challenge- Open all day. Prizes for winner and runner up.
9am The Jon Rosten Subbuteo Quiz- Open all day. Prizes for winner and runner up. 
9am The Westwood Subbuteo Team Painting Competition- Entries taken all day and judged by a special guest. Prizes for winner and runner up.
9am 1st round draw of Advanced Rules Tournament. on Facebook Live drawn by a Special Guest. 
10am - 5pm Advanced Rule Tournament Start

5pm Presentations (also on Facebook Live)
Advanced Rules Tournament (Sponsored by Subbuteo Online) Winner and Runner up.
Jon Rosten Subbuteo Quiz- Winner and Runner Up
Keith Littler Subbuteo Skills Challenge- Winner and Runner Up
Westwood Table Soccer Subbuteo Team Painting Competition (Sponsored by Westwood)- Winner and Runner Up

6pm Event finish
The Collectors Fair
Doors will open at 8am for stalls to set up. Stalls will be open all day unless closed for stall holders playing in the Advanced Rule Tournament.
The Stall fee is £10. To reserve your stall payment must be made in advance by Paypal to alanlee@lewiswaterman.co.uk, by no later than 15th June 2021. 

There is limited spaces available for stalls so reserving early is encouraged. 

Please provide your full name, contact details and state whether you are booking for the tournament or a stall, when making payment. Cash entries will not be accepted. Full refunds will be given if the event is cancelled.

Advanced Rule Tournament
The registration fee is £10. Registration MUST be made by Paypal to alanlee@lewiswaterman.co.uk, by no later than 15th June 2021.
There is limited spaces available for the tournament so early registration is encouraged.
Please provide your full name, contact details and state whether you are booking for the tournament or a stall, when making payment. Cash entries will not be accepted. Full refunds will be given if the event is cancelled.

The tournament will be played to Subbuteo Advanced Rules 1968.

• Equipment- All Subbuteo branded equipment can be used, up to and not including the Hasbro era.
  • Players must provide their own team(s).
  • The tournament will be played on Subbuteo baize with Modern Metal Goals.
  • Fixtures will be announced and displayed at the Officials table.
  • Results must be handed to the Officials table after each match. A match report slip will be provided at each table.
  • Games will start promptly. Any person not at the game table for the start of the game will lose the match 2-0. 
  • Round 1 will be played in a 4 person group format. Subsequent rounds will be a knockout format.
  • There are no seedings for the tournament
  • In the group stages 3 pts are awarded for a win and 1pt for a draw.
  • In the event of a group points total draw the order in the group is then decided based on goal difference(GD). If GD is also equal then goals scored (GS) will decide.
  • Each match consists of one period of 15 minutes – no half time
  • There will be no more than a 5 minute break between each group match
  • Each session is played to time keeping controlled by the tournament Officials.
  • To aid social distancing there will not be referees for the event until the Semi Finals and Final. We ask all participants to embrace the friendly atmosphere of the day. Where a referee is used the referees decision is final
  • Old Subbuteo Advanced Rules apply – a copy will be available at the Officials table.
  • Each table is numbered to correspond with the table number against each fixture.
  • Polishing is allowed between matches.
  • “Shoot out” rules apply in the event of a knock out match being drawn in the knockout stages.
  • We will run a Plate competition for Group losers if time permits. This will be announced on the day of the tournament.

Anyone displaying unsporting behaviour will be first warned and on the second incident ejected from the tournament. The event organisers decision is final. Such behaviour must be reported immediately to the Officials table at the end of the match in question for any action to be able to be taken.  

A special thank you to our event sponsors

So he sent his doting mother
Up the stairs with the stepladder,
To get the Subbuteo,
Out of the loft.
He had all the accessories,
Required for that big-match atmosphere.
The crowd and the dugout,
And the floodlights, too.
And you'd always get palmed off
With a headless center-forward,
And a goal-keeper with no arms,
And he'd managed to get hold of
A Dukla-Prague Away Kit,
His uncle owned a sport shop
And he'd kept it to one side.
And after only five minutes
You'd be down to ten men,
Because he'd sent off your right back for
Taking the base from under his left winger.
Come to half-time, you were losing, four-nil.
Each and every goal, a hotly disputed penalty.
So you smash up the floodlights
And the game was abandoned,
And the dog would bark
And you'd be banned from his house.
And your travelling army
Of synthetic supporters
Would be taken away from you
And thrown in the bin.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Is that what @spudski looks like

Haven't a clue who that is...looks like John Pertwee ??

As for the event...I'm not going. Haverhill is a pig to get to.

It'll be full of middle aged men, having heated debates about bits of plastic ?

However...the hobby has taken off massively again, mainly due to covid. 

21 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Can someone briefly explain how Subbuteo works?

As I genuinely have never been able to grasp it before.

You don't grasp it, you flick it! 

Always preferred this...

Striker by Parker

VINTAGE ORIGINAL 1970'S Super Striker football board game by Parker -  complete - EUR 63,45 | PicClick FR

Had one player who's leg broke, superglued it back on and it was like he was enhanced, could kick a ball harder and straighter after. Much debate in our house about if he he was allowed to play or not.

2 hours ago, David Brent said:

Not THE Keith Littler?

I've found that comment interesting... especially on a non Subbuteo forum or FB page. You are offay with Table Football Monthly?

Probably one of the reasons Subbuteo took off again during Covid.

His channel has a ' Carry On' feel to it.

Always wanted a set as a kid, but never did get one. I had the table top electric super cup football game with the tiny footballs, and the players that used to move up and down, and spin around. 

Now as an older kid (:bounce:) I don't get subbuteo, but appreciate that it's probably because I never had it when I was younger. 

580cc0a62e4893b139583a9b.jpeg.jpg

1 minute ago, Taz said:

Always wanted a set as a kid, but never did get one. I had the table top electric super cup football game with the tiny footballs, and the players that used to move up and down, and spin around. 

Now as an older kid (:bounce:) I don't get subbuteo, but appreciate that it's probably because I never had it when I was younger. 

580cc0a62e4893b139583a9b.jpeg.jpg

If you had it as a kid up until the very early 80s, you'd get it.

Nearly every kid owned it. It was the biggest selling game for many years.

The inventor was a great businessman, because it wasn't just a game...the idea to collect hundreds of different teams and stadium accessories was a master stroke.

That is why it's still so popular now. It's pure nostalgia and escapism. Men of a certain age have a disposable income and now recreate memories collecting all the teams, building stadiums or meeting with other collectors and playing along with a few Beers, BBQ and plenty of footy banter.

Same reason people collect vinyl records, Panini stickers, Scalextric etc etc.

Glad I don't collect Panini stickers...a 1986 Maradona sticker recently sold for £500K. 

In saying that Subbuteo team prices are on the up. Some fetch £500 plus for an individual team. 

Most I've sold one for was £800. 

So if you've got stuff in the loft lads...don't throw em out, as you never now what you might have.

I'm gutted at a deal I missed in Bristol a couple years back.

Someone had a Subbuteo wanted advert, and was contacted by the son of a Toy shop owner in Bristol that was looking to get rid of all the old shop stock. Hundreds of items from the 70s upwards. He paid approx £2k for the stock.

The buyer sold the Scalextric to a collector in Leeds for £32K. The Subbuteo all brand new from the 70s was valued at £25K approx.

Stuff of dreams as a collector...gutting. ???

1 hour ago, spudski said:

If you had it as a kid up until the very early 80s, you'd get it.

Nearly every kid owned it. It was the biggest selling game for many years.

The inventor was a great businessman, because it wasn't just a game...the idea to collect hundreds of different teams and stadium accessories was a master stroke.

That is why it's still so popular now. It's pure nostalgia and escapism. Men of a certain age have a disposable income and now recreate memories collecting all the teams, building stadiums or meeting with other collectors and playing along with a few Beers, BBQ and plenty of footy banter.

Same reason people collect vinyl records, Panini stickers, Scalextric etc etc.

Glad I don't collect Panini stickers...a 1986 Maradona sticker recently sold for £500K. 

In saying that Subbuteo team prices are on the up. Some fetch £500 plus for an individual team. 

Most I've sold one for was £800. 

So if you've got stuff in the loft lads...don't throw em out, as you never now what you might have.

I'm gutted at a deal I missed in Bristol a couple years back.

Someone had a Subbuteo wanted advert, and was contacted by the son of a Toy shop owner in Bristol that was looking to get rid of all the old shop stock. Hundreds of items from the 70s upwards. He paid approx £2k for the stock.

The buyer sold the Scalextric to a collector in Leeds for £32K. The Subbuteo all brand new from the 70s was valued at £25K approx.

Stuff of dreams as a collector...gutting. ???

It's all got a value. As an 80s kid a lot of the action figures and toys I had as a kid, I now see go for silly money.

Example: I had pretty much all of the original Hasbro sets of the WWF figures, with the exception of Dusty Rhodes (rare as Rocking horse doo doo) or the green card set (later/last series). All were loose, but sold them all for about £100 or so to get a 2nd hand N64 in the late 90s. Some of them separately now, I've seen go for anything from a few quid, to £60+!

I did start recollecting them a few years ago, including some in the packaging still, but then the market picked up and it became a very expensive hobby to pursue. I've now sold them all again to put towards a deposit before we got our house, but now wish I'd have kept them so the little one could have them when he's older :rolleyes:

Anyway sorry to hijack the thread lads - as you were. Enjoy Suffolk ?

3 minutes ago, Taz said:

It's all got a value. As an 80s kid a lot of the action figures and toys I had as a kid, I now see go for silly money.

Example: I had pretty much all of the original Hasbro sets of the WWF figures, with the exception of Dusty Rhodes (rare as Rocking horse doo doo) or the green card set (later/last series). All were loose, but sold them all for about £100 or so to get a 2nd hand N64 in the late 90s. Some of them separately now, I've seen go for anything from a few quid, to £60+!

I did start recollecting them a few years ago, including some in the packaging still, but then the market picked up and it became a very expensive hobby to pursue. I've now sold them all again to put towards a deposit before we got our house, but now wish I'd have kept them so the little one could have them when he's older :rolleyes:

Anyway sorry to hijack the thread lads - as you were. Enjoy Suffolk ?

No...this could develop into a great thread...it's how conversations develop...like a river meandering ☺️

I'm showing my age as I haven't a clue what WWF figures are or N64 ?? love it though.

What I'm gutted about the most...is I had that Panini sticker that sold for half a million...and threw it away when I had a clear out years ago.

If only I'd known ???

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

No...this could develop into a great thread...it's how conversations develop...like a river meandering ☺️

I'm showing my age as I haven't a clue what WWF figures are or N64 ?? love it though.

What I'm gutted about the most...is I had that Panini sticker that sold for half a million...and threw it away when I had a clear out years ago.

If only I'd known ???

Ooh something @spudski doesn't know - let me educate you ?

WWF - World Wrestling Federation (before the wildlife bunch won a court battle and made them change to WWE). Hulk Hogan, Legion Of Doom, Jake The Snake.... the line of figures went on from the late 80s to mid 90s.

N64 - the late 90s Nintendo games console. Mario, Donkey Kong, Goldeneye...

Don't get me started on the rest of the stuff I've either given away or sold at a car boot when I was a kid!! A lot more savvy now. Wife hates it as I keep the boxes for everything :P

What does bug me is my mum and dad had a skip a few years ago, and said after it had gone "we've got rid of the boxes of magazines and stuff you had in the loft". Yeah thanks for that mum, there was a few completed sticker albums up there, WWF and football ?

WWF_HASBRO_ACTION_FIGURES.jpg

images.jpeg-1.jpg

15 minutes ago, Taz said:

WWF - World Wrestling Federation (before the wildlife bunch won a court battle and made them change to WWE). Hulk Hogan, Legion Of Doom, Jake The Snake.... the line of figures went on from the late 80s to mid 90s.

Don't get me started on the rest of the stuff I've either given away or sold at a car boot when I was a kid!! A lot more savvy now. Wife hates it as I keep the boxes for everything :P

What does bug me is my mum and dad had a skip a few years ago, and said after it had gone "we've got rid of the boxes of magazines and stuff you had in the loft". Yeah thanks for that mum, there was a few completed sticker albums up there, WWF and football ?

images.jpeg-1.jpg

I'm kinda glad I'm older ??? all that was after my time. Fair play though...if it brings back happy memories why not ???

39 minutes ago, Taz said:

images.jpeg-1.jpg

Blige, look at the bingo wings on that bloke with the green hat ???

Archived