IGNORED

An Alternative to the European Super League?

Harry

I'm not against a European Super League.  However, it has to be a fair competition, with access to all clubs, not an impenetrable elite.

Taking this outside of the main big thread of anger (and rightly so), what would people consider as an acceptable format for the future of European competition.

I've considered the following.
1) To win the Champions League, a team must play at minimum 15 games.  For the Europa League I think it's 17 games.  And that's if they came in at the first round stages rather than any pre-qualifying rounds - which could take the games required to win the tournament up to 21.  So there is clearly room within the calendar to fit a league season of anything from 15-20 games.
2) On the current formats, there are 81 teams who enter the Champions League and 159 teams who enter the Europa League.  That's a total of 240 team who play European football each season.
3) There are currently 55 countries under the UEFA banner.

My format
I would create a Super League structure which has 28 Divisions.  These divisions would then be split into 7 Groupings.

There would be 252 teams in the competition, with 9 teams in each division, thus a team plays at minimum 16 games each season, home and away against the 8 others in their division.
Qualification would be dependent on your league position in your own country, with the following numbers :
8 clubs from the Top 5 leagues (for example England, Spain, Germany, France, Italy).
7 clubs from the next best 10 leagues (i.e. Portugal, Holland, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, Russia, Ukraine etc)
6 clubs from the next best 10 leagues
5 clubs from the next best 5 leagues
4 clubs for the next best 5 leagues
3 clubs from the next best 5 leagues
the final 15 leagues providing the final 22 teams
That totals 252 teams altogether, with every nation represented, and still plenty of representation from the so called 'major' countries.

Group A will consist of 4 Divisions, A1, A2, A3, A4.  Each division contains 9 teams, so this is the elite 36 clubs.  A draw takes places to determine which division these 36 go into.  This is not seeded, so Man U, Man C, Barca, Real etc could all end up in the same division!
You'd then have Groups B, C, D, E, F & G also each containing 4 divisions of 9 teams each, randomly drawn.

Group A1 teams will play each other home and away, making up a 16 game season.
At the end of the 16 games, the top 2 in A1, A2, A3 & A4 will go through to a Final 8 Showpiece Event.  With a one game Quarter Final, a one game Semi and a one game Final, all at a neutral venue.  This could be a mini-tournament style event, where 1 country can host all games over the course of a week.  For example, host country is Spain - QF's to be played at 4 venues (Seville, Bilbao, At Madrid, Malaga) on a Saturday, then 2 semi's played at Madrid & Barca on Wednesday, with the Final at Barca on the Sunday.  Uefa still get their huge showpiece event and the major clubs still get the opportunity to be drawn against each other for the 'big' matches.
The winners will have played 19 games in total, which is similar to what they'd have to now, so no need for any impact on any domestic competitions.

The league structure is then continued for the following season as thus :
Teams who finish in the bottom 3 of A1, A2, A3 & A4 are relegated to Group B.
Teams who finish in the top 3 of B1, B2, B3 & B4 are promoted to Group A.
This means that 12 teams go down from the 'elite' 36, and 12 teams move up to the 'elite' grouping.
This is replicated down the Groups, so the bottom 3 of each Group B division go down to Group C and so on, with the top 3 of each Group C division go up to Group B, and so on.

If a club had failed to qualify for European competition through it's own countries league placings, then their position is replaced by next best placed club which qualified.  For example, let's say Everton were in Group D, but then finished 10th in the Prem, and instead Wolves had qualified by finishing 8th,  Wolves would slot into Everton's place in Group D.

By adopting this divisional and grouping structure, the top Group will have 12 new teams each season, and the other Groups will have 24 new teams each season (out of 36), so there is plenty of fluidity.

In terms of the finances/prize money, this should be collated as a whole and distributed according to final placings.
For example, lets say total revenue is £500m.
40% goes to Group A teams, shared based on their final division placing.
20% goes to Group B.  12% to Group C, 10% to D, 8% to E, 6% to F and 4% to G.
Of course, £500m is a very low figure to use as an example, I'd imagine the overall revenue would be many times that!

So there you go, that's my plan.  16 games for every team against European opposition, with an 8-team final showpiece, and promotion/relegation across the board.

That's all 'back of the fag packet' type stuff, and probably needs a lot more thought and tweeking, but I'll throw it out there for starters.  How would you guys do it.....

Uefa have already agreed to a new format of Champions League today.

It will increase to 36 teams and allow big teams to join if they fail to qualify.

Their statement was no better than the super League. It highlighted teams that hadn't qualified but were 'big' so would be included, and that it would enable greater revenue.

So no better than super League.

I'm all for football imploding 

I'd love fans to not buy season tickets and sky. 

Go and do something else for a year. It won't kill us 

I blame fans as much as the greedy clubs.

Many are just lemmings...they complain, but still buy into it.

Until fans stop paying, it won't change.

Sod Champions League and super League and all the sky subscriptions.

Sod the American investment bank funding the super League.

Even though the Super League doesn't apply to us ..it does indirectly. Only today...I had people say to me, that's it, the nail in the coffin, they won't be renewing season tickets, as they are sick of modern football. 

Many have lost interest this past year. 

Harry...I think you are overestimating people's interest in the CL fella ??

How about scrapping the Champion League. The Champions of each UEFA country are promoted into a Euro League for one season of round robin games and then return to their national leagues to be replaced by the new national champions. 
Crap idea but still better than this new super league

Title winning team from each country in Europe goes into a seeded knockout bracket, which also has a losers bracket (also known as double elimination). So if you lose your first match, you then play another loser of a first round match. Win that, and you play a loser from the next round, and so on. Continue up to the final, which is the winner of the winners bracket vs the winner of the losers bracket. The losers bracket is good as a) it allows comeback stories, and b) stops a good team getting knocked out randomly early on. 

Whoever wins is crowned champion of Europe. That's it!

Then I'd actually probably care a bit and support whichever English club was in it.

You play well enough to qualify in your own league. You don’t qualify you're not in. Simple. It’s greed, why should a club automatically enter just because they are a so called bigger club. If that happens will never see giant killing again. Total bollocks!!!  You win a competition on being better than the others, simple.  Really pissed off with this. 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Harry...I think you are overestimating people's interest in the CL fella ??

To be honest, I wasn’t overestimating interest in the CL. I was more trying to come from the angle that some kind of European League is inevitable, so rather than the one being proposed today, how best could this be implemented instead. 

It’s definitely coming, so what would the best format be, rather than the proposed closed shop. 

Also, possibly much like yourself and others, I actually have zero interest in the Champions League and haven’t watched it since it went to BT - don’t know how many years that is, but I couldn’t be arsed to pay more money out to watch something I wasn’t overly bothered about. 

As I say, just trying to come from the angle of what it should look like if (when) it comes. 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

To be honest, I wasn’t overestimating interest in the CL. I was more trying to come from the angle that some kind of European League is inevitable, so rather than the one being proposed today, how best could this be implemented instead. 

It’s definitely coming, so what would the best format be, rather than the proposed closed shop. 

Also, possibly much like yourself and others, I actually have zero interest in the Champions League and haven’t watched it since it went to BT - don’t know how many years that is, but I couldn’t be arsed to pay more money out to watch something I wasn’t overly bothered about. 

As I say, just trying to come from the angle of what it should look like if (when) it comes. 

Agreed...as our own Mr Bakinson promoted today...quote...( Why should anyone be surprised, football is a business ) refering to the super League...

For the present player and owners...it's a business only. Nothing more nothing less.

For fans and players of a certain age like us it means a little more.

As for Bakinson...re NP saying he's complex...I'll put it in simpler terms. He's a bit of a knob. 

5 hours ago, Harry said:

I'm not against a European Super League.  However, it has to be a fair competition, with access to all clubs, not an impenetrable elite.

Taking this outside of the main big thread of anger (and rightly so), what would people consider as an acceptable format for the future of European competition.

1) To win the Champions League, a team must play at minimum 15 games.  For the Europa League I think it's 17 games.  And that's if they came in at the first round stages rather than any pre-qualifying rounds - which could take the games required to win the tournament up to 21.  So there is clearly room within the calendar to fit a league season of anything from 15-20 games.
2) On the current formats, there are 81 teams who enter the Champions League and 159 teams who enter the Europa League.  That's a total of 240 team who play European football each season.

My format
I would create a Super League structure which has 28 Divisions.  These divisions would then be split into 7 Groupings.

There would be 252 teams in the competition, with 9 teams in each division, thus a team plays at minimum 16 games each season, home and away against the 8 others in their division.
Qualification would be dependent on your league position in your own country, with the following numbers :
8 clubs from the Top 5 leagues (for example England, Spain, Germany, France, Italy).
7 clubs from the next best 10 leagues (i.e. Portugal, Holland, Belgium, Sweden, Denmark, Russia, Ukraine etc)
That totals 252 teams altogether, with every nation represented, and still plenty of representation from the so called 'major' countries.

Group A will consist of 4 Divisions, A1, A2, A3, A4.  Each division contains 9 teams, so this is the elite 36 clubs.  A draw takes places to determine which division these 36 go into.  This is not seeded, so Man U, Man C, Barca, Real etc could all end up in the same division!
You'd then have Groups B, C, D, E, F & G also each containing 4 divisions of 9 teams each, randomly drawn.

At the end of the 16 games, the top 2 in A1, A2, A3 & A4 will go through to a Final 8 Showpiece Event.  With a one game Quarter Final, a one game Semi and a one game Final, all at a neutral venue.  This could be a mini-tournament style event, where 1 country can host all games over the course of a week.  For example, host country is Spain - QF's to be played at 4 venues (Seville, Bilbao, At Madrid, Malaga) on a Saturday, then 2 semi's played at Madrid & Barca on Wednesday, with the Final at Barca on the Sunday.  Uefa still get their huge showpiece event and the major clubs still get the opportunity to be drawn against each other for the 'big' matches.
The winners will have played 19 games in total, which is similar to what they'd have to now, so no need for any impact on any domestic competitions.

This means that 12 teams go down from the 'elite' 36, and 12 teams move up to the 'elite' grouping.
This is replicated down the Groups, so the bottom 3 of each Group B division go down to Group C and so on, with the top 3 of each Group C division go up to Group B, and so on.

If a club had failed to qualify for European competition through it's own countries league placings, then their position is replaced by next best placed club which qualified.  For example, let's say Everton were in Group D, but then finished 10th in the Prem, and instead Wolves had qualified by finishing 8th,  Wolves would slot into Everton's place in Group D.

By adopting this divisional and grouping structure, the top Group will have 12 new teams each season, and the other Groups will have 24 new teams each season (out of 36), so there is plenty of fluidity.

In terms of the finances/prize money, this should be collated as a whole and distributed according to final placings.
Of course, £500m is a very low figure to use as an example, I'd imagine the overall revenue would be many times that!

So there you go, that's my plan.  16 games for every team against European opposition, with an 8-team final showpiece, and promotion/relegation across the board.

That's all 'back of the fag packet' type stuff, and probably needs a lot more thought and tweeking, but I'll throw it out there for starters.  How would you guys do it.....

From one of the best, well researched posts I’ve seen on OTIB last week re recruitment to this complete drivel ! 

To my mind, keep it hierarchical and not parallel. If you try to keep the clubs in the National leagues, it’s way too complex.

Make it actually the top two divisions. Two leagues of 20 teams with promotion and relegation. Playoffs for promotion into Second division each year: neutral tournament. Qualifying for eight countries, champions of each country, bottom 4 in EUSL2. 

Two European cups. One with EUSL teams + domestic clubs, one with only domestic clubs. 

EUSL clubs out of domestic leagues entirely. Maybe allow them in domestic cup, but would rather not. 

I’d actually prefer this to distortion of current setup. 

A lot of good ideas, but just to bring it back to the start to offer some clarity, tell me again why we need a super league?

I can only think if one thing, creating profit for owners.

Football clubs to my mind are essentially NPO’s.

The only reason many are in a pickle is player wages. 

If most clubs looked at their cash flow and removed player cost from the expense line I don’t think it would look horrendous. You then have to work in player wages from there.

I’m staggered as to how this constantly gets overlooked.

Bristol City cannot afford their current wage bill. Players are complicit in this. It’s too easy to offer the excuse ‘it’s not their fault, clubs shouldn’t pay it’.

All of them, yes all of them, are fully aware that the contract they asked for is unsustainable and cripples the football club that pay it. 

Are they wholly responsible? No.

Are they consciously complicit? Yes.

For me they have already squeezed as many games out of the champions league as they can, any more and domestic competitions will be too devalued. I would make guaranteed places to the Europa League for the best placed sides in cup competitions who haven't qualified for europe already, might make those competitions a bit more interesting. Also don't think half the champions league spaces should be guaranteed for the 4 biggest nations, I would prefer something like before when at least some of those teams had to go through the qualifying rounds. Can't see an old style European Cup with just the champions or a Cup Winners Cup being commercially appealing at this point, likewise the 3rd european competition that uefa have been proposing sounds like complete a waste of time. I guess I want the status quo with just some minor tweaks to have a slightly better balance of the importance of all competitions. And absolutely no places ever awarded to teams that aren't on merit!

Main problem with this is that it won't allow the big clubs to sustain their growth, the pie is going to get smaller no matter what and they are trying to increase theirs at the expense of everyone else. The covid agenda is harming their future profits and they want to mitigate this with a more guaranteed return, makes sense for them but if it destroys the long term future of the professional game then overall its a horrible move. A move to a German model of ownership will reduce the quality of English clubs, but the benefit of clubs being closer to their communities sounds like it will more than make up for it, less profiteering but overall interest would go up in the local areas. Again I would want to see nothing drastic happen here but for clubs to explore the German's best ideas, it would be a negative for club owners however especially those who rely on their international fanbases like the big 12 so you can see why they want to go the other way, if that happens though I don't think everyone else should try and be poor imitations of them but instead look to long term success. Will definitely be interesting to see what happens, although I definitely won't be tuning in if it is a new ESL.

17 hours ago, Harry said:

My format

Get all clubs to live within their means, and pay players only what they can afford and we will be fine as we are

17 hours ago, Harry said:

My format

Real Madrid Chairman said this is necessary because less young people are not watching. If season ticket prices for kids were affordable they would watch 

2 hours ago, 054123 said:

A lot of good ideas, but just to bring it back to the start to offer some clarity, tell me again why we need a super league?

I can only think if one thing, creating profit for owners.

Football clubs to my mind are essentially NPO’s.

The only reason many are in a pickle is player wages. 

If most clubs looked at their cash flow and removed player cost from the expense line I don’t think it would look horrendous. You then have to work in player wages from there.

I’m staggered as to how this constantly gets overlooked.

Bristol City cannot afford their current wage bill. Players are complicit in this. It’s too easy to offer the excuse ‘it’s not their fault, clubs shouldn’t pay it’.

All of them, yes all of them, are fully aware that the contract they asked for is unsustainable and cripples the football club that pay it. 

Are they wholly responsible? No.

Are they consciously complicit? Yes.

Re your first sentence, I think we are too far down the line and that some kind of expanded European league is coming, whether we like it or not. 
This thread was started as a way of asking what we think that should look like - it’s gonna happen, so what would we as fans ideally like it to look like. 

13 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Get all clubs to live within their means, and pay players only what they can afford and we will be fine as we are

11 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Real Madrid Chairman said this is necessary because less young people are not watching. If season ticket prices for kids were affordable they would watch 

As above, these 2 comments are probably for the other thread. This one is just for what we would think a European league should/could/would look like. It’s happening, so why not form a discussion about how we’d prefer it to look like. 

I'm a big believer in less is more and I'd go back to having a watered down European Cup, featuring the 16 domestic league winners from the previous year based on UEFA coefficients. Each round has two legs until the final at a neutral venue. Seven games for two clubs to get to the final. 

I'd also like something second-tier European Cup, make it a 32-team tournament also based on the teams finishing second and third in the top 16 domestic leagues in Europe determined by the coefficients. 

That way, there's prestige for winning domestic titles (including the FA Cup or equivalent), prestige for the second-tier European Cup, and crucially it breaks up the top six as it would essentially be the the top three three in the top 16 domestic leagues that would get to play in Europe. 

Make the League Cup just for teams in the Football League, excluding PL clubs. Get rid of the JPT or whatever it's called nowadays. 

This format would produce a strong domestic competition while also benefiting the national teams, IMO. There needs to be a financial reset in terms of how clubs are run as well, reducing wages and transfer fees. 

I don't think for a second this ESL will get off the ground. 

It wasnt broke was it!

European cup (champions league) Too many games so make it a knockout from the start like the greatest cup competition in the world. if neccesary seed top 32 sides

Ways of getting into European cup 

1 win domestic league

2 win domestic cup 

3 win europa cup

4 win european cup.

Surely thats enough ways to ensure that these 'so called' top sides are always in the competition.

every team should be a champion in one way or another this is the way it should be . no game is meaningless 

Not only that But the domestic cup competitions have more meaning because the big clubs have to win them!!! Then the whole football cake becomes bigger!!! If the spanish think their league is too weak then join up with the french!!! or even better distribute la liga money more fairly to the smaller teams.

As for young people not being interested in football because games are too long and their attention spans aren't long enough ...............Bless ... There's  always ice cream and tik tok...and yes that is aimed at the under fortys.

as for players getting lower wages .... do you honestly think a player plays better on 15k per week than 10   PAH!!!!

Archived