IGNORED

Pre match press

davidoldfart

Time they moved Mc G on ,i really cannot understand how NP manages to keep his cool having to face such insipid questioning .The guy has poor interview skill.Obviously from the questions asked does limited research ,and is so repetitive in the line of questions .NP must be totally bored with the guy.Loved the response to COD operation,”just ask me the question  “.........

13 hours ago, davidoldfart said:

Time they moved Mc G on ,i really cannot understand how NP manages to keep his cool having to face such insipid questioning .The guy has poor interview skill.Obviously from the questions asked does limited research ,and is so repetitive in the line of questions .NP must be totally bored with the guy.Loved the response to COD operation,”just ask me the question  “.........

To me it's obvious they're just humouring each other. Pearson is playing up deliberately. 

I suspect if G McG asked OTIB to submit questions for him to ask (that he reasonably could be expected to do so), they wouldn't be a whole lot different. There's only so much you can ask with two games most weeks and after match interviews. There's the challenge ...... what would you ask?

24 minutes ago, DingleRed said:

I suspect if G McG asked OTIB to submit questions for him to ask (that he reasonably could be expected to do so), they wouldn't be a whole lot different. There's only so much you can ask with two games most weeks and after match interviews. There's the challenge ...... what would you ask?

1. Is he not tempted to focus on playing the players that will definitely be here next season considering we won’t go up or down?

2. Are we likely to see Semenyo as a central striker in a 4-3-3 considering Fam or Wells haven’t worked there recently?

3. How close is Britton to a call up?

4. What is the main area we need to buy for in the summer?

5. Does he expect the high number of injuries to continue into next season and if so, will we need a squad of 27-28 next season to cover for them?

6. Does he think the city pitch is a factor in the injuries?

41 minutes ago, DingleRed said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

13 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

1. Is he not tempted to focus on playing the players that will definitely be here next season considering we won’t go up or down?

2. Are we likely to see Semenyo as a central striker in a 4-3-3 considering Fam or Wells haven’t worked there recently?

5. Does he expect the high number of injuries to continue into next season and if so, will we need a squad of 27-28 next season to cover for them?

What will your role be in recruitment over the summer?  How have you handled the summer window previously.

FWIW if it were me, I’d arrange a “meeting” with NP and Barton and agree some ground rules, e.g. what areas are fair game, what aren’t, etc, so that pressers don’t become like yesterday’s.  That’s not to say it should all be on NP’s agenda either.

It shouldn’t be a problem to ask about injuries of specific players, but need to be mindful of sensitivity and might be team selection related.

I think you have to be prepared for non-committal answers, e.g. Dave’s no3 above - “he needs to keep working hard, as do all the players not in the current starting eleven”.

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Bolded bit is something that would piss Pearson off I reckon. He knows what has & hasn't been working and wont need a journo telling him.

I think it would be better to simply ask if we may see Semenyo in that role as an alternative to Wells/Semenyo minus your opinion on the end. 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yeah, I think McG is pretty good really. I think Pearson enjoys the sparring with the press. McG probably enjoys it too in a way. 

I really have no problems with McG, just my weird sense of humour, or lack of. I actually think he does a fair job.

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

A) Well I've been giving chances to the younger players in the squad to showcase their talent and that will continue.

A) I don't really discuss individual players or divulge our team news too far ahead of the match.

A) All of our young players will and are getting a chance and his may come soon but I refer you to answer 2.

A) I think there's changes required throughout the team, but once we know who is staying and going we can target the right areas.  We don't want to specify the areas we're desperate in as clubs will just inflate the prices.

A) I don't have a crystal ball.  I would hope not.

A) I'm not a medical expert so that's one for them to look at and advise me on.

All of these questions can be answered quite easily just by listening to every other interview, so again the task is to ask questions that aren't commonly answered.  These are just variations on a theme and my answers above probably aren't too far from what our Nige would answer with I'd imagine.

11 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

All of these questions can be answered quite easily just by listening to every other interview, so again the task is to ask questions that aren't commonly answered.  These are just variations on a theme and my answers above probably aren't too far from what our Nige would answer with I'd imagine.

Might as well scrap the whole thing then

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Might as well scrap the whole thing then

It wasn't meant as a dig at you at all....just merely pointing out that thinking of enlightening questions isn't as easy as others are suggesting.... and that Nige is probably very easy to piss off at a presser!

37 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

It wasn't meant as a dig at you at all....just merely pointing out that thinking of enlightening questions isn't as easy as others are suggesting.... and that Nige is probably very easy to piss off at a presser!

No appreciate wasn’t a dig at me and I actually agree he would just bat them away. I must say that I listened to every single second of LJ interviews and press conferences as he would reveal a lot. I’ve stopped listening to Pearson’s already as it so boring

It looked really amateurish from GMcG. like he just got up out of his bed and hadn't written anything down or given any thought to any question he asked, just the same old same old rubbish. Even asking NP to speculate on who the kind of person the club were going to appoint to replace Mark Ashton, Unbelievable! So underwhelming and banal were the questions I was watching Nige's reaction to see what would make him bite. 

I expect Nige to swat him away into touch at some point.

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

No appreciate wasn’t a dig at me and I actually agree he would just bat them away. I must say that I listened to every single second of LJ interviews and press conferences as he would reveal a lot. I’ve stopped listening to Pearson’s already as it so boring

Pearson seems to be very careful about what he is saying which makes his responses very slow - however I heard Chris Hughton talking on the radio last week and he really is boring with a capital B.

To be honest, I can barely bring myself to listen to these now. I'm sure Gregor is doing his best, but I think he's a bit intimidated by Nige. Which is a shame, because I think there's the potential of a very entertaining rapport there.

Perhaps Gregor should look at how, for example, Brian Moore dealt with Brian Clough back in the day?.

There are a couple of good examples on YouTube.

Of course, I'm not a professional journalist and Gregor is. However I think that the rapport that Moore and Clough developed was very entertaining as well as insightful regarding the latter. Which is a credit to Moore's approach.

7 hours ago, tin said:

While I respect McGregor doing the tough job of a local reporter at a time when clubs no longer need the press, his interviewing technique and writing skills are pretty poor. Latest example, he asked NP about his thoughts for the Wigan game. We're playing Wycombe! Basic stuff, really, but what I expect of Bristol Live [interview in full] these days. 

Except he did actually say Wycombe (audio here: https://open.spotify.com/episode/42OBrAif37trhLPTqE15yl) so it's a mistake in the transcription possibly by the intern or some other junior lackey.

)

6 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

From even reading GMG’s press conference with Pearson yesterday a few of these (especially 5 imo) would definitely get short shrift.

The politics of pre/post-match press conferences is a tricky balance and not to say anyone’s perfect but it’s not half as black and white as it often looks, especially when most managers regard them as a chore no matter who they’re talking to.

Pearson’s made it clear he’s not there to give good headlines or even always straight answers - look how he bats away the question on his future? Is he really “comfortable” leaving his own future until after the end of the season? It’d be very strange if he was.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Any interesting questions Nige could easily answer by not actually answering the question properly, so us learning nothing. Which I expect he would do as he doesn't seem interested in revealing much, and rightly so. 

I know Gregor joked about LJ going on and on and having to type so many words, and he seemed pleased he was sacked as Holden being in charge would make his job a lot easier. But I bet now he'd much rather have LJ there than Pearson. LJ was actually very open and would go into quite a lot of detail. 

I think with LJ, I think he used it as an opportunity to try to convince people he was a forward thinking, bright young manager full of new ideas.  That’s a generalisation, but I do think there was part-ego, part-insecurity about it.  Pre-match I really liked them in the main.  Post-match not so.

I think NP is obviously well down his managerial career and feels like he doesn’t need to justify himself.

Its probably takes a bit of getting used to.

Archived