IGNORED

NFL 21/22 Season

Dynamite Red

NFL Draft is the first major date for the new upcoming season. 

Any talent catch your eye?  Any major needs?  It seems likely 4 or 5 QBs will go in the top 10, also a good depth of wide receivers in this year's class. 

Already lots of interesting trades. My forever woefully poor Lions being involved in one major trade again to start another rebuild including a complete new backroom staff and QB. 

The Bears need a major overhaul (a bit like a certain football club not too many miles away) I can only imagine what idiotic trade up they have lined up for the 10th best quarter back when we have two already! It will be worth staying up for though ?

Date for for your diary - full schedule released on May 12th should get further info on the UK games at the same time.

Edited by TMWANG50
  • Like 1

Yes. Looking forward to the draft next week. I absolutely love the draft. 
I’m a Bengal and so all the talk re our pick at No.5 is whether we take the generational Tackle Penei Sewell, or the talented receiver who Burrow threw to at college Ja’Marr Chase. Judging from Bengal forums and Twitter the fan base is really split. 
For me, I’ll be delighted with either of them, but I can’t see us turning down Sewell. 
The arguments against Sewell have been that we have a need at both positions and the OT draft class is much deeper than the WR class and we can still get a very good OT in round 2. 
Can’t wait. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Yes. Looking forward to the draft next week. I absolutely love the draft. 
I’m a Bengal and so all the talk re our pick at No.5 is whether we take the generational Tackle Penei Sewell, or the talented receiver who Burrow threw to at college Ja’Marr Chase. Judging from Bengal forums and Twitter the fan base is really split. 
For me, I’ll be delighted with either of them, but I can’t see us turning down Sewell. 
The arguments against Sewell have been that we have a need at both positions and the OT draft class is much deeper than the WR class and we can still get a very good OT in round 2. 
Can’t wait. 

Bengals have to protect Burrows better, I think taking Sewell makes sense.

The general opinion from the Lions fans is if we don't trade back then whoever Cinci pass on will go to Detroit on the 7th pick. I also really like Linebacker Micah Parsons.

Edited by Dynamite Red

9 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Bengals have to protect Burrows better, I think taking Sewell makes sense.

The general opinion from the Lions fans is if we don't trade back then whoever Cinci pass on will go to Detroit on the 7th pick. I also really like Linebacker Micah Parsons.

Yep, Sewell is without doubt the sensible pick. There’s varying arguments that say we’ve improved the OL with Reiff coming in at RT in free agency, and hopefully Jonah staying healthy at LT. But it’s stilI the sensible pick. 

As for Parsons, yes he looks like he’ll be a star, though I have read about ‘off the field issues’ with him. I’ve seen a lot of mocks with Detroit taking a receiver. So as you say, if we don’t take Chase you’ll have your pick between Chase, Smith & Waddle. 

Seems Lawrence and Wilson are nailed on as 1 and 2. Just intriguing what San Francisco have traded up to 3 for. Strong rumours of it being for Mac Jones, but lots of other teams aren’t that high on him and see Fields or Lance as the better QB. 

I can see Jones to SF and then a scramble for trades for Fields. Chicago certainly seems the most obvious although I’ve seen some mocks suggesting New England trading up!! 
The Falcons at 4 might get some great offers, as I don’t think they’re interested in taking Ryan’s replacement this year. Denver will be hoping one of these drops to them at 9. Should do. But it’ll be 5th choice most likely. 

Gonna be an interesting night. 

• Like 1

My Mock Draft Top 10

1. Jaguars: Tevor Lawrence- Easy

2. Jets: Zac Wilson- Seems to be their choice, personally I think he's the fourth best of the five with poor results against good college teams

3. 49ers: Mac Jones- Lowest risk QB other than Lawrence. He'll have a decent career, but won't be anything special.

4. Atlanta: Kyle Pitts- Best non-QB, as moving on from Ryan will be expensive, and risky.

5. Bengals: Penai Souel?- Massacred the name, but a beast of a man to protect Burrows.

6. Miami: Jamar Chase- Best avaliable weapon to aid Tua.

7. Lions: Devonte Smith- Again a name massacre.Tricky one as they need everything, but right now they have no receiving talent for Goff.

8. Panthers: Christian Darrishaw- Take a punt on Darnold, best protect him well.

9. Broncos: Justin Fields- More game ready than Lance. They seem keen to move on from Lock.

10. Patriots: Trey Lance- Patriots need a QB, and Trey has a high ceiling but low floor. Learn off Newton for a year, then start him.

• Like 1

Can’t argue with many of those WTTJ. 
I agree that Wilson does seem to be a bit overrated by the Jets. Fields and Jones seem to be favoured by others. 
If there are no trades, then your top 10 looks pretty accurate. I just think there might be someone like Chicago trade up for a QB. I mean, they’ve currently got Andy Dalton starting, and being a Bengal, I know all about his severe limitations. The Bears must surely be looking for a trade up - whether with Atlanta or even Carolina, to get infront of Denver & NE who’ll also be looking for QB’s. 

I can the logic in that @Welcome To The Jungle I think if any of Mac Jones, Fields or Lance are still available after 6, then you will see trades up into 7th and/or 8th. To jump the Broncos, Patriots, Houston, Bears could all make moves. Detroit will play on the thought they may take a QB to groom behind Goff. Going to be interesting.

I reckon. 

1. Jaguars: Tevor Lawrence

2. Jets: Zac Wilson

3. 49ers: Mac Jones

4. Atlanta: Kyle Pitts

5. Bengals: Penei Sewell

6. Miami:  Jam'Mar Chase

7. Lions trade with Broncos: Justin Fields

8. Panthers trade with Patriots: Mac Jones

9. Lions via Broncos trade: Micah Parsons or Devonte Smith

10. Cowboys: Patrick Surtain

38 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

I can the logic in that @Welcome To The Jungle I think if any of Mac Jones, Fields or Lance are still available after 6, then you will see trades up into 7th and/or 8th. To jump the Broncos, Patriots, Houston, Bears could all make moves. Detroit will play on the thought they may take a QB to groom behind Goff. Going to be interesting.

I reckon. 

1. Jaguars: Tevor Lawrence

2. Jets: Zac Wilson

3. 49ers: Mac Jones

4. Atlanta: Kyle Pitts

5. Bengals: Penei Sewell

6. Miami:  Jam'Mar Chase

7. Lions trade with Broncos: Justin Fields

8. Panthers trade with Patriots: Mac Jones

9. Lions via Broncos trade: Micah Parsons or Devonte Smith

10. Cowboys: Patrick Surtain

Got Jones there twice

54 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Got Jones there twice

55 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Got Jones there twice

Ah I was swapping about as I was doing it, meant to put Lance into 8, to be honest outside of Lawrence and Wilson the other three QBs Lance, Fields and Jones are interchangeable. 

Tough pick for Cincinatti. Losing AJ Green and John Ross in FA leaves big gaps at receiver but they surely must invest in a tackle to protect Burrow. 

I'm a Browns fans so I'd be pleased to see Begals choose Chase or Smith because Garrett and Clowney will have a day with that Oline, twice. 

Passing in Sewell would be pure negligence imo. 

As for Cleveland I would like to see a talented LB in round1 then DT/CB/WR in that order. 

Love the draft it's one of my favourite days of the year. 

Giants have everything crossed that as many QB’s go as possible top 10.

Four, maybe five, plus Pitts, Sewell, Chase, Slater and one of Horn/Surtain II should leave them with at least one of the Alabama WR’s to choose from in Smith/Waddle.

Personally I’m open to trade back and take any of Paye/Ojulari/Vera-Tucker late teens/early twenties but will be hard to resist Smith/Waddle/Slater at 11, and one of them will almost certainly be there.

Edited by S_C

7 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Tough pick for Cincinatti. Losing AJ Green and John Ross in FA leaves big gaps at receiver but they surely must invest in a tackle to protect Burrow. 

I'm a Browns fans so I'd be pleased to see Begals choose Chase or Smith because Garrett and Clowney will have a day with that Oline, twice. 

Passing in Sewell would be pure negligence imo. 

As for Cleveland I would like to see a talented LB in round1 then DT/CB/WR in that order. 

Love the draft it's one of my favourite days of the year. 

You’ve built a very good roster in Cleveland, I must say. The Clowney signing will be an interesting one. He’s dropped off in the last couple of years but potentially Garrett & Clowney is a nightmare. 
I do think you go defence in Round 1. Probably best available player out of DE, DT & LB. 

As for Sewell, there is so much chatter about us taking Chase instead. Apparently even talk of Burrow asking for him! We have got an improved OL from last year already so we may hold off for Rd 2 where there should still be at least 3 or 4 really good OL prospects left. 

Agree though - I absolutely love draft day. One of the highlights of my sporting calendar. 

2 hours ago, S_C said:

Giants have everything crossed that as many QB’s go as possible top 10.

Four, maybe five, plus Pitts, Sewell, Chase, Slater and one of Horn/Surtain II should leave them with at least one of the Alabama WR’s to choose from in Smith/Waddle.

Personally I’m open to trade back and take any of Paye/Ojulari/Vera-Tucker late teens/early twenties but will be hard to resist Smith/Waddle/Slater at 11, and one of them will almost certainly be there.

There is a scenario where all 3 of the top WR’s are off the board by the time it reaches 11 for the Giants. Bengals, Dolphins, Lions could potentially all go WR. 
Unlikely, but could. If any are there for you at 11 I’d think it’d be Waddle. 

Edited by Harry

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

There is a scenario where all 3 of the top WR’s are off the board by the time it reaches 11 for the Giants. Bengals, Dolphins, Lions could potentially all go WR. 

Giants have a decent recieving roster especially with Kenny G from Detroit. I don't know enough about NYG to make a suggestion but I think making sure Jones doesn't fumble the ball twice a week is a start ?

48 minutes ago, Harry said:

Waddle seems preference over Smith as a rule. Smith apparently weighed in at 166 recently which could put teams off, though even if he fell past Giants at 11 think Eagles would grab at 12.

If all three WR’s are gone by 11, plus 4 QB’s, Pitts and Sewell, think Giants would be pretty comfortable choosing between Slater/Horn/Surtain II. CB wouldn’t sit well with plenty of fans (signed Adoree Jackson in free agency to play opposite Bradberry, Darnay Holmes had decent rookie year) but could see them happily taking a CB if he’s best on their board. I’d prefer a trade down in that scenario but that’s something Gettleman has never done so seems unlikely, for all his protestations that that’s just circumstance.

Edited by S_C

18 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Giants have a decent recieving roster especially with Kenny G from Detroit. I don't know enough about NYG to make a suggestion but I think making sure Jones doesn't fumble the ball twice a week is a start ?

I like Jones, it’s a huge year for him but I’m hopeful. He’s had an awful offensive line, a lack of targets, those he has (*cough* Engram *cough*) have been at fault for interceptions, losing Barkley in Week 2 last year was a hammer blow. As you say, fumbles/turnovers, but I think we’ve seen enough to know there’s a good QB in there. No 6 overall, maybe not, but that isn’t his fault. The Giants offense was abysmal last year, you won’t find much love for Jason Garrett as OC. But they’re doing they’re best for him. If the line can form some sort of cohesive unit (I wouldn’t be at all surprised if two of their six picks are o-line) then Giants should win NFC East.

36 minutes ago, S_C said:

Waddle seems preference over Smith as a rule. Smith apparently weighed in at 166 recently which could put teams off, though even if he fell past Giants at 11 think Eagles would grab at 12.

If all three WR’s are gone by 11, plus 4 QB’s, Pitts and Sewell, think Giants would be pretty comfortable choosing between Slater/Horn/Surtain II. CB wouldn’t sit well with plenty of fans (signed Adoree Jackson in free agency to play opposite Bradberry, Darnay Holmes had decent rookie year) but could see them happily taking a CB if he’s best on their board. I’d prefer a trade down in that scenario but that’s something Gettleman has never done so seems unlikely, for all his protestations that that’s just circumstance.

I’ve seen so many variants for the Giants in mock drafts. 
Seems that OL is a big need, but many experts don’t recommend a double dip as they took a tackle in the 1st round last year - tackles are expensive so double dipping leaves cap problems 4 years down the line! 

But if Rashawn Slater is there at 11 then I think you take him. He’s the one tackle that kept Chase Young quiet in college. 

Most mocks have either a CB or WR for the Giants. You’re pretty much guaranteed at least 1 of Chase, Smith, Waddle, Surtain & Horn still there at 11. So you’ll get a good one. 

50 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

If work think they are getting anything useful out of me Friday they're having a laugh 

100% ??

I’ll be grabbing a couple of hours kip early evening and then up at midnight to see the whole thing through. Then maybe a very gentle day at work! 

21 minutes ago, Harry said:

But if Rashawn Slater is there at 11 then I think you take him. He’s the one tackle that kept Chase Young quiet in college.

That’s one of big talking points, they’d be drafting him as a guard, at least initially.

Drafted Matt Peart in third (?) round last year, seem keen to give him every chance to make RT his own. Thomas at LT (no 4 overall last year). C and G are positions they’ll primarily target, C and move Gates, who is new to position, makes sense.

Im not sure they could pass on Slater, Vera-Tucker is another to keep an eye on, especially if they trade back, but both would come in at guard.

Love draft season, have been messing around with PFN draft simulator long before City last won a game..

Edited by S_C
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1