IGNORED

Lansbury Red Overturned

cidered abroad

Just now, cidered abroad said:

So will the League do to Harrington what the Rugby did to a ref that goofed up big time by giving a penalty try that wasn't?

Rugby did not use him for at least another full season. Bet Harrington will still be out there next Saturday!

At the end of the day it was the wrong decision, but not exactly a humongous gaffe.  You can completely see why he's given the pen, and consequently the red card. HL gave the ref a decision to make and to be honest, at normal speed none of the tv replays were conclusive.  You'd have to slow it down to frame by frame to be sure, which we presumably did do.  On the pitch he didn't have that luxury.  He saw the ball fired towards goal at pace, an outfield player throw his arms up towards the ball, coming very close to the crossbar and the ball deflected off something and went over.  He had to make a split second call based on what he saw.

5 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

At the end of the day it was the wrong decision, but not exactly a humongous gaffe.  You can completely see why he's given the pen, and consequently the red card. HL gave the ref a decision to make and to be honest, at normal speed none of the tv replays were conclusive.  You'd have to slow it down to frame by frame to be sure, which we presumably did do.  On the pitch he didn't have that luxury.  He saw the ball fired towards goal at pace, an outfield player throw his arms up towards the ball, coming very close to the crossbar and the ball deflected off something and went over.  He had to make a split second call based on what he saw.

Were you watching on live tv?

If so what was your first reaction immediately it happened? Not 30 seconds after or after several different tv replays?

I'm asking not criticising. @Steve Watts

My reaction was no penalty. Ref had almost same sort of view as live tv and certainly did not react immediately it occurred.

However it's rumoured that it was the lino, approx forty yards away with a totally different angle and unable to hear the ball bouncing off the bar, who was the one that insisted to ref that it was a pen.

The red is overturned but could we have got all three points if we'd still had eleven on the park?

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

The red is overturned but could we have got all three points if we'd still had eleven on the park?

We conceded with 11 and scored with 10, either way I'd take the point even if they are a struggling team

14 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

It's a frustrating one but it's human error. I think we need to be careful what we wish for, rather human error that goes against us than VAR which takes more enjoyment out of it. 

I certainly don't want more VAR. But I'd like refs and linesmen to go on immediate first reaction. After all that is what happened before tv. Mistakes made but in the large majority of cases, they got it right.

18 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

The game should be replayed, surely?

We could hire the same lawyer that the fewers used to sue Wycombe that once... although I don’t exactly recall why!

Second thoughts, we don’t really want to watch that again do we?

10 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

If so what was your first reaction immediately it happened? Not 30 seconds after or after several different tv replays?

My reaction was no penalty. Ref had almost same sort of view as live tv and certainly did not react immediately it occurred.

However it's rumoured that it was the lino, approx forty yards away with a totally different angle and unable to hear the ball bouncing off the bar, who was the one that insisted to ref that it was a pen.

I didn't, I only saw the highlights after and my reaction, with knowledge of what happened, but also of the number of people saying it was a scandalous decision, was that HL was bloody stupid giving the ref a decision to make.  And the referee really didn't have the same view as live tv.  Things look very different at pitch level than they do in the stand.

6 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I certainly don't want more VAR. But I'd like refs and linesmen to go on immediate first reaction. After all that is what happened before tv. Mistakes made but in the large majority of cases, they got it right.

Maybe they did though.  It just so happened that their immediate first reaction was that it was a penalty.

2 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I didn't, I only saw the highlights after and my reaction, with knowledge of what happened, but also of the number of people saying it was a scandalous decision, was that HL was bloody stupid giving the ref a decision to make.  And the referee really didn't have the same view as live tv.  Things look very different at pitch level than they do in the stand.

Maybe they did though.  It just so happened that their immediate first reaction was that it was a penalty.

The ref's immediate reaction wasn't a pen, he did not make a decision either way and just followed the lino. If he was unsure he should have not awarded the pen and red card, he had a far better view than the linesman.

25 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I watched it live and really couldn't tell. My first instinct was that it had hit the crossbar because of the trajectory of the ball, and I couldn't believe he would be that stupid to punch it. The commentators didn't think he had touched it. The camera angle is obviously different to the of the officials too.

Referees mistakes are 'generally' fine if they explain after the game what they saw.

e.g. My initial reaction was it hit the bar, however my linesman was certain that the player used his hand and on his advice I awarded the penalty.

You can't argue with that and I think 95% of fans would say fair enough.

What I didn't like in the videos and watching it live is you could see the ref wasn't sure, started towards pointing towards a corner and then 5/6 Sheff Wed players run up in his face waving their arms and pointing at Lansbury, then the ref points to the spot.

Now it's been proved he didn't touch his hand, all those players are effectively 'cheating' and should be fined/banned for a match.

3 minutes ago, grifty said:

Referees mistakes are 'generally' fine if they explain after the game what they saw.

e.g. My initial reaction was it hit the bar, however my linesman was certain that the player used his hand and on his advice I awarded the penalty.

You can't argue with that and I think 95% of fans would say fair enough.

Agree

What I didn't like in the videos and watching it live is you could see the ref wasn't sure, started towards pointing towards a corner and then 5/6 Sheff Wed players run up in his face waving their arms and pointing at Lansbury, then the ref points to the spot.

wonder why he gave a corner if he didn’t think Henri handled it?  I’m sure thought process was I’ll mitigate my uncertainty by giving a corner, that’ll let me get away with it.

Now it's been proved he didn't touch his hand, all those players are effectively 'cheating' and should be fined/banned for a match.

Happy with a point, so not a huge issue at the end of the day. Had we conceded the penalty, and then go on to lose by 2, 3 or even more, then the mood would be more hostile.

End of the day in real time, you can see why the ref made the decision he did. Mistakes like that, is one reason (of many) why they decided to use VAR, so as someone else said - be careful what you wish for! 

If you take away the human part of the game, you get what you see in some top level games - stoppages of 2 or 3 minutes a time whilst they draw lines all over the pitch!!

Nige should be telling them that if they're going to try and make a goal line clearance, to keep their hands down or away from the direction of the ball!!

2 minutes ago, grifty said:

Not really, like everyone else they’re humans capable of misjudging it in the split second they have to decide.
 Half of them probably never actually saw it and were influenced by their teammates. 
Decisions like these are tough to take but it averages out over a season - hopefully. 

Archived