IGNORED

Can we build?

sh1t_ref_again

I have always had the opinion, the only way we will get to the PL is to develop and build a team of young players supplemented with older experience. The club has previously traded our best players to balance the books, but we are not at a time where we have many OOC players and the opportunity to build an exciting squad, but will we / can we keep our best young players?

If we give NP a contract, I think we have a manager who can get us up

But can we keep Bentley, HNM, Bakinson, Semenyo, Vyner and a number of others or will big bucks be to hard to resist?

25 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I have always had the opinion, the only way we will get to the PL is to develop and build a team of young players supplemented with older experience. The club has previously traded our best players to balance the books, but we are not at a time where we have many OOC players and the opportunity to build an exciting squad, but will we / can we keep our best young players?

But can we keep Bentley, HNM, Bakinson, Semenyo, Vyner and a number of others or will big bucks be to hard to resist?

Too hard to resist. It's not just us its pretty much every team outside a small handful. 

Put this point on an earlier thread. Its time we stopped selling the family silver and then going to bargain hunt. Build around our current strengths, yes we do have some, instead of selling them. Now might be just the time to get some decent quality instead of "one for the future"

I appreciate its not my money though so not my decision either, just my view.

4 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Yes I hope we keep all you name. But I feel good offers coming in for all if them. And it has been our way to take the money up until now 

If we are to be serious on building from now they have to be kept

1 hour ago, marmite said:

Put this point on an earlier thread. Its time we stopped selling the family silver and then going to bargain hunt. Build around our current strengths, yes we do have some, instead of selling them. Now might be just the time to get some decent quality instead of "one for the future"

I appreciate its not my money though so not my decision either, just my view.

We should have some headroom- 14 or 15 out of contract.

Those in the OP need keeping and tbh you talk of cheap signings, bargain hunt but there will be a lot of good Championship players and some middling to lower PL out of contract this summer- fees aren't essential.

FFP is always a factor too, did we need to sell all we did to comply? Probably not. Quite a few of them though yeah.

5 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

I know exactly what you mean and in a perfect world you'd be right.

Unfortunately I think we also need to take on board that the good players that were sold 'to balance the books' actually wanted to leave to better their careers - either to get much more money or a chance at the Prem. If we want to keep these players we need to risk paying much more and start looking serious like a club just about to be promoted. In reality we're currently nowhere near doing either of those things.

2 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

If we are to be serious on building from now they have to be kept

So how is that going to work then?  Do you really think that it is a good team building tactic to force your best talent to not play in the Prenier League?

You have two choices, you either pay them a lot more than a premier league team (and even that may not work) - so how do you balance the books - or you keep them on their current contracts and they disappear for nothing at the end of it.

Every player has their price. It’s how we replace them that counts and Ashton has got that horrendously wrong.

The last time we were pulling in the right direction, IMO, was under SOD and then Cotts, with Burt as DoF.

Other than LJ’s input for Brownhill and Webster, we’ve had no strategy in terms of the players we recruit and no settled system for them to fit into. 

I expect Bentley to be sold and it wouldn’t bother me if Semenyo went.

Archived