IGNORED

Paul Holland on Countdown

Red Tel

I see that Ex City player Paul Holland is one of the contestants on Channel 4's Countdown, this afternoon.

I seem to recall that he was a bit if a terrier in midfield, or am I getting him mixed up with someone else,

Don't think we saw the best of him, though, due to injury.

Yes, when I heard the name I wondered if it was our ex-player.  One of 3 signings from Chesterfield(IIRC) from the late 90s that did not have a great time with injuries during their time here (the others being Sean Dyche and Billy Mercer).  Some things don't change!  I was pretty sure he had the assist for our goal against Stoke at Wembley,  thinking the last touch was from Damian Spencer, but according to Wiki it was his goal.  He mentioned that he got injured playing for us at 26 and that ended his career, which i must have forgotten about.

1 minute ago, LilRascal said:

Wasn't he one of 3 players we got from Chesterfield (Dyche, plus that goalie - forgot his name) after their FA Cup run. All of them were a bit injury prone if I remember rightly.

All 3 got bad injuiries. Billy Mercer was forced to retire. Good keeper too.

21 minutes ago, Red Tel said:

I see that Ex City player Paul Holland is one of the contestants on Channel 4's Countdown, this afternoon.

I seem to recall that he was a bit if a terrier in midfield, or am I getting him mixed up with someone else,

Don't think we saw the best of him, though, due to injury.

Wasn't he described as "Baby Gazza" on his arrival? 

Disappointing to read.

Paul Holland used his position as the boss of struggling Ilkeston Town to pocket £2,000 after he fell on hard times.

As a youngster, Holland was capped twice at England U21 level and played alongside the David Beckham and Robbie Fowler.

But Derby Magistrates' Court heard Holland, of Toton, near Nottingham, struggled after his playing career ended in 2000.

And when he was given the job managing Ilkeston FC he repaid those who tried to help him by siphoning off much-needed funds.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/880437/England-football-Paul-Holland-Ilkeston-Town-Bristol-City-Mansfield-Town-fraud-forgery

Not mentioned in his wiki, though today's Countdown appearance is there, or that of Ilkeston FC which folded with debts of £14k.  And their page doesn't mention it either.  History is being edited.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Holland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilkeston_F.C.

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I seem to recall a suggestion at the time that all three had come with injuries. Maybe I’m imagining that, or maybe our medical skills were no better then than now?

I think you are right with Dyche. Struggling on the other 2, memory not quite what it was. 

'Dutch' i think picked up a cruciate injury whilst with us. 

On 21/04/2021 at 17:24, Gazred said:

I think you are right with Dyche. Struggling on the other 2, memory not quite what it was. 

As I understand it the one we really wanted was Kevin Davies and I believe the deal was pretty much done when he scored a hat trick at Bolton (?) in the cup and his price rocketed. I think he went to Southampton in the end.

On 21/04/2021 at 17:24, Gazred said:

A mate of mine went to school with Paul Hollland 8n Lincoln. Holland told him it was likely going to be his last contract as his knees were shot.

On 21/04/2021 at 14:48, bcfcshorey said:

Didn't Billy Mercer have the No.2 shirt as a goalie?

Yes he did! I’d forgotten that! Did Bo Andersen still have the number 1 shirt then (and what an awful keeper he was)? Just looked it up and he was in the squad with Mercer but I couldn’t find the squad numbers. 

Mercer was a decent keeper. Paul Holland was carrying some timber even back then and was an underwhelming signing. 

2 minutes ago, Lordofthebling said:

Did he score against Stoke in the LDV whatsitmecalled it?  Or is my memory going?  Champagne shirt?

He did. For a while it was credited to Damian Spencer but now seems to have been given to Holland. From what I remember a cross came in and Holland got his head to it whilst on the run. It then hit Spencer on the 'upper thigh' (ie ars3) and went it. Not that it mattered Stoke sneaked the winning goal late on while Carey was still arguing with the ref.

16 hours ago, Calculus said:

He did. For a while it was credited to Damian Spencer but now seems to have been given to Holland. From what I remember a cross came in and Holland got his head to it whilst on the run. It then hit Spencer on the 'upper thigh' (ie ars3) and went it. Not that it mattered Stoke sneaked the winning goal late on while Carey was still arguing with the ref.

Do you have to bring that up ?

Archived