IGNORED

John Shaw photos

CiderCraig

Evening guys, 

A friend of mine is seeking an old photograph of John Shaw, circa 1982.

This is his post on social media. I wondered if anyone on here could help?

"I've been searching for the amazing picture that was taken of a bald John Shaw holding the match ball as he was about to kick it. It would have been early 80's when city were near the bottom of the 4th division  i think it was in a broadsheet paper at the time and won an award....so it must be in some fans memory...does anyone have a copy of the picture they could post please"

Cheers guys!

During a game under the floodlights Jon let in a goal scored from 25 yards over his head into the roof of the net after the game the goal scorer said when I received the ball I glanced up and noticed their keepers head glowing like a Belisha  beacon spotting he was of his line and smashed it over his glowing cranium into the net

34 minutes ago, Banjo Island said:

During a game under the floodlights Jon let in a goal scored from 25 yards over his head into the roof of the net after the game the goal scorer said when I received the ball I glanced up and noticed their keepers head glowing like a Belisha  beacon spotting he was of his line and smashed it over his glowing cranium into the net

crewe away 82...

1 hour ago, CiderCraig said:

Evening guys, 

"I've been searching for the amazing picture that was taken of a bald John Shaw holding the match ball as he was about to kick it. It would have been early 80's when city were near the bottom of the 4th division  i think it was in a broadsheet paper at the time and won an award....so it must be in some fans memory...does anyone have a copy of the picture they could post please"

Cheers guys!

I remember that picture. Pretty sure it was in the Observer, taken by Eamonn McCabe.

• Admin
4 hours ago, CiderCraig said:

Evening guys, 

Cheers guys!

The group he posted in have lots of old pictures so hopefully if not on here they will help

Only pictures I could trace are below 

3ba420b952544f9270c70b21b51e647f.jpg

a854259dd5379280f283f178bfe38605.jpg

f22853280c2b9b2b58d8e5fd038e6b63.jpg

s-l400.jpg

3 hours ago, archie andrews said:

crewe away 82...

I was there.

**** me. we were terrible, think Crewe had someone playing in midfield who may have returned to playing after being a manager at Wrexham the season before.

Around the same time we lost 7-1 at Northampton, one of only 2 games I missed that season as I played on Sundays.

4 hours ago, Banjo Island said:

The apocryphal story I heard was slightly different. It was again Crewe but their player missed a sitter from a header and claimed he was dazzled by the floodlights reflecting off Jon's shiny bonce!

I remember when John made a return to the 1st team late in the 81/82 season it was a bit of a shock for the fans, as the mullet he previously sported had been decimated and was looking like a bad lockdown haircut, a sort of Bobby Charlton "combover" (but not as well organised) with random clumps all over his head. By the time the team started the 82/83 season (now in Div. 4) he was totally bald.  I remember he joked about it to a local hack saying "you spend 6 years behind Bristol City's defence and see what your hair looks like!"

11 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

I remember when John made a return to the 1st team late in the 81/82 season it was a bit of a shock for the fans, as the mullet he previously sported had been decimated and was looking like a bad lockdown haircut, a sort of Bobby Charlton "combover" (but not as well organised) with random clumps all over his head. By the time the team started the 82/83 season (now in Div. 4) he was totally bald.  I remember he joked about it to a local hack saying "you spend 6 years behind Bristol City's defence and see what your hair looks like!"

Through my old man I knew someone else in the City squad throughout the glory years & he said Shaw always had a real issue with his nerves to the point of often having injections prior to games to calm them.

His alopecia, which manifested itself around the time we started the slide through the divisions was probably another symptom of that, between his return when his hair looked like that of someone undergoing cancer treatment & the start of the Terry Cooper era he chose to shave his head as a result.

37 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Through my old man I knew someone else in the City squad throughout the glory years & he said Shaw always had a real issue with his nerves to the point of often having injections prior to games to calm them.

His alopecia, which manifested itself around the time we started the slide through the divisions was probably another symptom of that, between his return when his hair looked like that of someone undergoing cancer treatment & the start of the Terry Cooper era he chose to shave his head as a result.

I was a mascot in about 82/83 when he was back playing for us, I recall a very kind man and he invited me down to the goal in front of the shed to take a few kicks at him, obviously he let a couple of them in bless him. The crowd was probably only in the low thousands but I couldn't have been more excited or my old man (sadly long departed) more proud. The guys around the club in those days like Coops & Clive Middlemass and the other returnees like Chrissy Garland & Tom Ritchie were solid gold blokes. Such great memories. 

(I've got the program somewhere, makes me want to dig it out now!) 

53 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I was a mascot in about 82/83 when he was back playing for us, I recall a very kind man and he invited me down to the goal in front of the shed to take a few kicks at him, obviously he let a couple of them in bless him. The crowd was probably only in the low thousands but I couldn't have been more excited or my old man (sadly long departed) more proud. The guys around the club in those days like Coops & Clive Middlemass and the other returnees like Chrissy Garland & Tom Ritchie were solid gold blokes. Such great memories. 

(I've got the program somewhere, makes me want to dig it out now!) 

I saw us home & away in those days so know we were in a very dark place then & I certainly never want to go back.

But those you have mentioned, John Shaw, Chris Garland, the majestic Thomas Ritchie esq, Coops & Middlemass absolutely piss all over many of the gutless wasters who earn fortunes & then give absolutely nothing back at present.

Tom is 70 next year but I reckon if he put his boots on against Luton he’d still contribute more than some current players I could mention.

14 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I was there.

**** me. we were terrible, think Crewe had someone playing in midfield who may have returned to playing after being a manager at Wrexham the season before.

Around the same time we lost 7-1 at Northampton, one of only 2 games I missed that season as I played on Sundays.

As I recall I was watching our reserves play at Ashton Gate the afternoon of the Crewe game - hazy memory mind you, was such a thing even possible?! And the score coming in unbelievable dribs and drabs. The first half of that season really was the pits! 

1 minute ago, Red Exile said:

As I recall I was watching our reserves play at Ashton Gate the afternoon of the Crewe game - hazy memory mind you, was such a thing even possible?! And the score coming in unbelievable dribs and drabs. The first half of that season really was the pits! 

Pretty sure Crewe was on a night, Steve.

In terms of resources we have surely never been run with so few, from memory we only had about 15 full time players, Shaw was our only goalie, Cooper (into his late 30s by then) played as well as managed & he signed Glyn Riley, Alan Crawford & Tom Ritchie that summer.

Everyone else we had playing was a kid, the likes of the late Jon Economou, Paul Stevens, Rob Newman, Alan Nicholls, etc

The reserves were in the Western League then & so the players who played for them basically did so for free & were often just mates of Bob Boyd.

Always remember a story at the time that Terry Boyle was the highest paid player in the bottom two divisions at £500 pw! 

Cooper moved him on & brought in 2 replacements (one was Forbes Phillipson-Masters) & said he had saved us £100 per week as well, a totally different world.

Archived