IGNORED

John Shaw photos

CiderCraig

14 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I was there.

**** me. we were terrible, think Crewe had someone playing in midfield who may have returned to playing after being a manager at Wrexham the season before.

Around the same time we lost 7-1 at Northampton, one of only 2 games I missed that season as I played on Sundays.

I was at Northampton for the 7-1.

If I remember rightly they put us in what was literally a large cage on one side of the ground?

18 hours ago, archie andrews said:

crewe away 82...

Wow, I remember that quote. Is it really that long ago, where has the time gone. Fast forward almost fourty years and we still letting in easy goals 

22 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

If I remember rightly they put us in what was literally a large cage on one side of the ground?

It was a cage. I was there on a later occasion - the top of the table clash where we had someone unjustly sent off - Rob Edwards maybe?

Restricted view didn't do it justice - impossible to see one of the goals 

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

It was a cage. I was there on a later occasion - the top of the table clash where we had someone unjustly sent off - Rob Edwards maybe?

Restricted view didn't do it justice - impossible to see one of the goals 

That's the one Red. I couldn't remember who got the red card in that one though. Good call.

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Pretty sure Crewe was on a night, Steve.

If it was the 4-1 defeat it was on a Tuesday night, and I was there too.

Even had a couple of hundred joyous young Crewe fans taking the piss out of us all match in the stand to our left.

Long trip home that night.

I spoke to Steve Thompson(exyeovil manager and player)Regarding that 7-1 defeat at Northampton as it was one of the only games he played for City ,and was a mere lad.

He said he just kept looking around at the senior players expecting them to front up ,organise or encourage .

He was shocked that none of them stepped up to the plate ,and I think was quite traumatised by the match still.

On 21/04/2021 at 22:57, GrahamC said:

I was there.

**** me. we were terrible, think Crewe had someone playing in midfield who may have returned to playing after being a manager at Wrexham the season before.

Around the same time we lost 7-1 at Northampton, one of only 2 games I missed that season as I played on Sundays.

Yep so was I..... 2-2 if I remember correctly. Friday night game and the floodlights reflected off his head.....

6 hours ago, ForeverRed said:

Yep so was I..... 2-2 if I remember correctly. Friday night game and the floodlights reflected off his head.....

Nope, it was a 4-1 defeat.

I have a vague recollection of a 2-2 draw at Stockport that was on a night?

18 hours ago, Red_Alligator said:

I was in the back row of the wooden stand at the other end from our standing fans. Plenty of us around me. I think we outnumbered Northampton fans all over the ground.

City got hammered but everyone kept going to the end. No pitiful collapse like this current bunch!

@Red_Alligator

7 hours ago, ForeverRed said:

Not that it matters too much but the 2-2 draw was actually on a Wednesday during the Christmas period - the 28th December 1983.

This was the season after the 4-1 defeat, in our 2nd (and final!) season in div.4.

15 hours ago, Redtrojan said:

I spoke to Steve Thompson(exyeovil manager and player)Regarding that 7-1 defeat at Northampton as it was one of the only games he played for City ,and was a mere lad.

He said he just kept looking around at the senior players expecting them to front up ,organise or encourage .

He was shocked that none of them stepped up to the plate ,and I think was quite traumatised by the match still.

Sounds remarkably familiar........given this season's shambles!

21 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Pretty sure Crewe was on a night, Steve.

In terms of resources we have surely never been run with so few, from memory we only had about 15 full time players, Shaw was our only goalie, Cooper (into his late 30s by then) played as well as managed & he signed Glyn Riley, Alan Crawford & Tom Ritchie that summer.

Everyone else we had playing was a kid, the likes of the late Jon Economou, Paul Stevens, Rob Newman, Alan Nicholls, etc

The reserves were in the Western League then & so the players who played for them basically did so for free & were often just mates of Bob Boyd.

Always remember a story at the time that Terry Boyle was the highest paid player in the bottom two divisions at £500 pw! 

Cooper moved him on & brought in 2 replacements (one was Forbes Phillipson-Masters) & said he had saved us £100 per week as well, a totally different world.

Got quite excited initially when my dad told me that we'd made a big name signing.

Archived