IGNORED

Why Pearson?

Berkshire Red

Can someone tell me why the desperation for Pearsons contract to be extended. Its all well and good to blame the players and their lack of effort but he is the manager and it's his responsibility to motivate them. 

I personally think we would be better off had we stuck with Holden and criticising the players is all well and good, but given the current climate he may have to work with a lot next season and seems to have no consideration for this fact?

Should we be extending the contract of a manager who's picked up 9 points in 11 games? Arguably we didn't deserve to pick up points against Swansea and have looked poor the last 5 or 6 games 

4 minutes ago, Berkshire Red said:

Can someone tell me why the desperation for Pearsons contract to be extended. Its all well and good to blame the players and their lack of effort but he is the manager and it's his responsibility to motivate them. 

I personally think we would be better off had we stuck with Holden and criticising the players is all well and good, but given the current climate he may have to work with a lot next season and seems to have no consideration for this fact?

Should we be extending the contract of a manager who's picked up 9 points in 11 games? Arguably we didn't deserve to pick up points against Swansea and have looked poor the last 5 or 6 games 

The most amazing thing about this is we genuinely wouldn't be better off with Holden. 

6 minutes ago, Berkshire Red said:

Can I go back one more and say our performances before the Holden / Pearson were so much better than now 

He's old school which is why our fans like him but at the same time not many old school managers are having success now. 

Football has moved on its all high press and possession football now. This season and last very few sides have had success playing any other way. 

Just look at the top 6 in the chanpionship this season and last and the styles most of them play. 

8 minutes ago, Berkshire Red said:

Because we need to rebuild a squad and he's had success at doing that?

I'm not trying to defend his time with us, just offering a possible reason for the extension.

Genuinely interested who those that want rid of Pearson want instead, realistically.

Be careful what you wish for, Pearson has proven himself at this level and higher. Yes I am disappointed too with the start but I think we need to plan long-term, invest in NP and allow him to develop his own team. He’s basically inherited a load of nonsense which he can’t change until the summer, Pep himself wouldn’t be doing much better right now with this shower. 

3 minutes ago, Banjo Red said:

You can't polish a turd.

Stop making excuses for Pearson - as a supposed quality manager he should have at least improved our performances instead of making them worse....even with a poor squad.

He is also making bizarre team selections and picking players who we all know are sh*te.

I don't think he will stay with us and frankly, I don't care

I was really critical of LJ in the last 12 months of his tenure - Yes, we went on streaky runs but he managed (eventually) to find a way to motivate the players to turn up and keep us safe. 

We are in the sad position where nobody is caring about what is to come - we are sleep walking into a descent down the leagues - not up them. 

If Pearson stays (and I'm not convinced by his performances thus far) we really need to invest in a decent glut of new players - a few here and there will not stem this decay - we used to be the nearly men at one end of the table - lack of serious investment (both financial from SL's perspective and personal from the players) will result in us being the nearly men at the other end of the table. 

Please be assured that I am in no way criticising SL - he pays more for his season ticket that I ever will - I just want people (manager / .players) to care about this club as much as I do.

I've already renewed my season card in good faith - please do not betray that. 

Incredible that some people had more patience for a novice like Holden, who knew the players, had a pre-season and two transfer windows, than they do in Pearson (who’s had none of those, by the way). At some point you have to have a good look at these players, not the manager.

I really like him and his no nonsense attitude, the way he comes across in interviews is a breath of fresh air but tonight’s result i have to be honest is the first one that has got me questioning if he really is the right man to take us forward..

I’m going to stick my neck out on the line and say i would still give him time and at least the summer transfer window to mould his own squad and clear out the deadwood. 

Well, failing barbaric means of motivation, i cant think of anyone who could motivate a squad full of players who couldnt give a toss because theyre out of contract in a month’s time. 
Pathetic and shameful bunch of players. 
Give Nige his squad and some of his own players and then judge him. 

1 minute ago, Globe Trotter said:

Genuinely interested who those that want rid of Pearson want instead, realistically.

Be careful what you wish for, Pearson has proven himself at this level and higher. Yes I am disappointed too with the start but I think we need to plan long-term, invest in NP and allow him to develop his own team. He’s basically inherited a load of nonsense which he can’t change until the summer, Pep himself wouldn’t be doing much better right now with this shower. 

I'm possibly the wrong person to answer as I am not sure I actually want rid of Pearson but I do think any decision to appoint him is based on hope rather than evidence. That's not to say it would be the wrong decision but there is nothing he has done in the job so far that suggest he is the right man.

And the fact is, for three or four games in March, Pearson was doing better with this shower.  We know the players can do better than they have been doing because we have seen them do it against Birmingham, Middlesboro and Swansea. So I think the "he can't change it and the players can't play better" argument is a bit of a cop-out.

I honestly don't know what I want to happen. If Pearson is given a long term contract and asked to turn the team round, I'll back him. If the club decide he's not done enough and they want a fresh start, I'm not going to argue based on the evidence. I'll back whoever is in charge over the summer and give them a fair chance next season. But I do think sometimes managers - however good - are the wrong person at the wrong club at the wrong time.

7 minutes ago, Globe Trotter said:

At last. Someone with sense.

2 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Well, failing barbaric means of motivation, i cant think of anyone who could motivate a squad full of players who couldnt give a toss because theyre out of contract in a month’s time. 
Pathetic and shameful bunch of players. 
Give Nige his squad and some of his own players and then judge him. 

Sorry but this is OTIB

He will be judged long before that!!

Lets face it some on here have already made their mind up on him ?

4 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

He's old school which is why our fans like him but at the same time not many old school managers are having success now. 

Football has moved on its all high press and possession football now. This season and last very few sides have had success playing any other way. 

Just look at the top 6 in the chanpionship this season and last and the styles most of them play. 

Your first sentence is key to me - there was a big groundswell of ‘good old Nigel’, he’ll kick em up the arse and frighten them into being a team’. The classic we want the opposite to the nice previous manager who was too soft, and the one before who was all management talk. Personally I thought and hoped he had mellowed with experience but as I’ve said elsewhere his whole ‘doesn’t suffer fools’ communication comes across as rude to me, and I haven’t seen much progression on the pitch. That said clearly there are mitigating factors:

- mid table team with nothing to play for

- still lots of injuries

- squad with many out of contract

- nobody knowing if he’ll definitely be here next season.

It’s a recipe for what we’re seeing which is very poor

Archived