IGNORED

Why Pearson?

Berkshire Red

7 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I suspect Pearson was offered the permanent City job some time ago on a gentleman's agreement, and accepted.

Everything he says indicates he is planning for next season and his intention is to be here long term.

The only stumbling block, on both sides, may have been relegation.

That's not going to happen so I expect to see his appointment officially announced in the near future.

I sincerely hope that's the case anyway.

Agreed, I've said before I don't think he'll be offered the job formally until relegation is mathemetically impossible.  At halftime I was foolishly expecting an announcement after tonight's game.

2 minutes ago, markcarter said:

How ? would his performances have to be for you to consider them a relevant factor in deciding whether to appoint him permanently?

if you took on a temporary management job, with the potential to be made permanent, and you performed shockingly poorly, amongst the worst of all your peers, would you expect to have any chance of getting the job permanently?

Which of his peer group would you prefer?

1 minute ago, Red_Alligator said:

Why would that be Simon?I

Working with the current squad or from scratch?

You asked for names of a manager who has proved he can motivate, what he did at sheffield united was quite stunning. 

anyone coming in will have to work with at least some of the current squad, and using the freed up wages of the ooc players, bring in a number of new signings wont they?

32 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I am not sold on Pearson at all. 9 points from 51 since Feb 1 I think it is. 3 wins 3 draws and 11 losses. Pearson here for a lot of that. I wasn’t expecting playoff form but I wasn’t expecting the form equivalent to possibly the worst season in league history. 

Maybe NP is using this time to evaluate as much as he can. Why play Fam? So he can send feedback to whether we should offer him a new deal as a possible answer. In that case though, I think we found the answer a couple months ago! 

I think it is real interesting now for us. SL has a massive decision to make. Most fans will still say NP with no doubts. I have doubts myself, but I have doubts about others who may be looked at for this job. I still probably shade towards Pearson but I have to say, I wouldn’t scathe Lansdown if he said no to NP after the season. 

I’m leaning toward this now. SL almost can’t give him the job. 

6 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

You asked for names of a manager who has proved he can motivate, what he did at sheffield united was quite stunning. 

anyone coming in will have to work with at least some of the current squad, and using the freed up wages of the ooc players, bring in a number of new signings wont they?

That's fair enough. A manager who has been successful in building a team that got promoted to the Premier League. Sounds sensible enough.

4 minutes ago, markcarter said:

How ? would his performances have to be for you to consider them a relevant factor in deciding whether to appoint him permanently?

if you took on a temporary management job, with the potential to be made permanent, and you performed shockingly poorly, amongst the worst of all your peers, would you expect to have any chance of getting the job permanently?

You continue relentlessly to dig away at Pearson  but do not seem to turn your analytical skills on the squad. Bearing in mind over the last 4 years we have been selling off all our best players and all our natural leaders on the pitch the likes of Marlon Pack, Flint, Korey Smith, etc. Have been playing awful football at home for a couple of seasons. Bungled countless transfer windows with poor signings. And have racked up a level of injuries unknown in the club's history. Just what did you expect of any Manager coming in to this. And how quickly did you expect a squad as poor as ours to be turned around. Or do really believe  that the quality of the squad has no bearing on the results a Manager can achieve. 

Pearson isn’t an absolute shoe in for me. His record without Shakespeare at his side isn’t that great. 
That said, the BIGGEST positive I can say about his time here so far is this :

When Holden left we had 39 points. If Holden was still here, we’d still have 39 points. 

So, for me so far, Pearson’s biggest plus point is that he’s not Holden. 

He’s done some decent things, but he’s also done things I don’t like. 
1) Playing Lansbury as a DM. I criticised Holden for this so I will be consistent and criticise Pearson for it too. He’s not a DM!! If you think he’s got something to offer and want to play him, put him where he’s been most effective in his career - it’s not DM. 
2) Signing Simpson. Waste of a wage. Hate the signing. No need. 
3) Calling out players for lack of effort and saying they’ll be out if they don’t perform, but then continuing to pick them regardless. The fact that Famara and Wells keep getting selected is totally against what he is suggesting in his pressers. 

There are positives. HNM is clearly blossoming under his tutelage. He seems to have ‘got through’ to Bakinson - clearly called him out on his desire a few weeks ago and it appears Bakinson might be starting to listen and learn. Plus Pearson has clearly identified the major problems we have with this squad - whether he is the right person to put it all right again is still unknown. 

Personally, I think Pearson on his own is a gamble. Steve needs to invest in a top management ‘team’ and he needs to appoint Pearson AND Shakespeare, plus get Walsh in as chief scout too. 

Do things properly or don’t do them at all. Pearson’s success has come under specific conditions. If you want to replicate his success you replicate those conditions. And that means paying whatever it takes to put all 3 of those together. 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Personally, I think Pearson on his own is a gamble. Steve needs to invest in a top management ‘team’ and he needs to appoint Pearson AND Shakespeare, plus get Walsh in as chief scout too. 

Shakespeare isn't leaving Villa for Bristol City of his own choice. 

2 minutes ago, Ostrich said:

Shakespeare isn't leaving Villa for Bristol City of his own choice. 

Plus. Pearson himself has said about the difficulty in working for the club you support. Lots of comments on Shakespeare are based around the fact he’s a Villa fan. That’s not a be all and end all in the eyes of football managers/assistants. He’s not gonna stay at Villa simply because he’s a Villa fan. 
Yes - it’s a big ask, don’t get me wrong. But for me, if you want Pearson to succeed you try to pull out the stops the entice Shakespeare too. 

2 hours ago, Globe Trotter said:

Genuinely interested who those that want rid of Pearson want instead, realistically.

Be careful what you wish for, Pearson has proven himself at this level and higher. Yes I am disappointed too with the start but I think we need to plan long-term, invest in NP and allow him to develop his own team. He’s basically inherited a load of nonsense which he can’t change until the summer, Pep himself wouldn’t be doing much better right now with this shower. 

Yep. Yep. Yep. We have a proven promotion manager with a great reputation and was unlucky to get the boot at Watford last out. Give him the summer, a clear out and fresh players.

1 minute ago, RumRed said:

You’re in dreamland, Pearson, Shakespeare and Walsh? Not a hope.

As per my other reply above. Yes, it’s a big ask, but if you want Pearson to succeed, in my opinion you need to put him with the management team that he succeeded with. 

Just now, Harry said:

As per my other reply above. Yes, it’s a big ask, but if you want Pearson to succeed, in my opinion you need to put him with the management team that he succeeded with. 

I agree, I just don’t think it will happen. I reckon Pearson will make the decision himself to depart.

2 hours ago, Superjack said:

No. It isn't.

Pissed off with people saying this after every defeat. 

A lack of concentration at key moments is not akin to a lack of commitment.

Yes it can be. A player that is frequently displaying negative behaviours very frequently will not be displaying a growth mindset. Growth mindset is unquestionably linked to commitment. 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Plus. Pearson himself has said about the difficulty in working for the club you support. Lots of comments on Shakespeare are based around the fact he’s a Villa fan. That’s not a be all and end all in the eyes of football managers/assistants. He’s not gonna stay at Villa simply because he’s a Villa fan. 
Yes - it’s a big ask, don’t get me wrong. But for me, if you want Pearson to succeed you try to pull out the stops the entice Shakespeare too. 

I'm unaware that Pearson has said that but that's Pearson saying that not Shakespeare, nor is the role of manger and assistant the same. He's a boyhood fan, working at a mid table PL side that looks steady enough for now and will be hoping to push on next season. The likelihood that BC can realistically offer an assistant manager more money than Villa is unlikely. What is his incentive to make the switch?

1 minute ago, RumRed said:

It would have been done by now. Who’s decision it was we may never know. I just can’t see it.

Well I am in despair.

If a manager of the calibre of Pearson can't help us, then it might be time to throw in the towel.

Just now, Superjack said:

Well I am in despair.

If a manager of the calibre of Pearson can't help us, then it might be time to throw in the towel.

Mate, I’m with you. Over 40 years for me so only a young’un. Started following my new local team Worthing. Contributed to improving the ground and have seen them ‘technically’ get promoted twice, but no all results scrubbed and go again. due to lockdown. The Super league has cheesed me off too. Just pissed off with the higher echelons of football. Never thought I’d say that with City in (old money) Div 2. I’m not sure what’s missing for me but something is.

Sorry, haven’t read all the posts.

The watershed of giving certain players chances must surely have passed tonight?  I thought it had passed a few games back.

I do think he’s fearful of playing more youngsters, which is admirable, but I wish he’d just come out and say:

The only players in the match day squad for the last 3 games are the ones I deem to have the necessary professionalism to be one of my players.

We can then see whether he genuinely is dealing with a shower of shit or not.

At the moment I think he’s got himself in a bit of hole, some of it due to the short term nature of his appointment and the uncertainty of his position.  That’s not giving him an excuse, I thought tonight (second half) was down to him.  He had 5 subs to effect the game, which was rapidly becoming more and more Wycombe’s game to snatch something.

I just want to know that the team selected is a team willing to try as hard as they can.

7 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Mate, I’m with you. Over 40 years for me so only a young’un. Started following my new local team Worthing. Contributed to improving the ground and have seen them ‘technically’ get promoted twice, but no all results scrubbed and go again. due to lockdown. The Super league has cheesed me off too. Just pissed off with the higher echelons of football. Never thought I’d say that with City in (old money) Div 2. I’m not sure what’s missing for me but something is.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Sorry, haven’t read all the posts.

The watershed of giving certain players chances must surely have passed tonight?  I thought it had passed a few games back.

I do think he’s fearful of playing more youngsters, which is admirable, but I wish he’d just come out and say:

The only players in the match day squad for the last 3 games are the ones I deem to have the necessary professionalism to be one of my players.

We can then see whether he genuinely is dealing with a shower of shit or not.

At the moment I think he’s got himself in a bit of hole, some of it due to the short term nature of his appointment and the uncertainty of his position.  That’s not giving him an excuse, I thought tonight (second half) was down to him.  He had 5 subs to effect the game, which was rapidly becoming more and more Wycombe’s game to snatch something.

I just want to know that the team selected is a team willing to try as hard as they can.

what i cant understand is that squad was quality against boro and swansea and since then have down tools

2 hours ago, Red_Alligator said:

Who would you like to see take over Marina? What would you see your choice bringing to the club? Would you expect him to start from scratch or work with what we have?

I have purely stated that I think NP has been underwhelming. His results have been awful and he has had enough time to galvanise a squad who clearly are capable of winning games or we'd already have been down. The football has not improved since his arrival and I don't go with the "it's everyone's fault but his".

Fortunately I don't make the managerial choices or player choices- I'm merely commenting on what Ive seen since NP took over.

As a poster who has been regularly accused of being a happy clapper, I don't have an agenda- I just couldn't care whether he stays or goes.

3 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I have purely stated that I think NP has been underwhelming. His results have been awful and he has had enough time to galvanise a squad who clearly are capable of winning games or we'd already have been down. The football has not improved since his arrival and I don't go with the "it's everyone's fault but his".

Fortunately I don't make the managerial choices or player choices- I'm merely commenting on what Ive seen since NP took over.

As a poster who has been regularly accused of being a happy clapper, I don't have an agenda- I just couldn't care whether he stays or goes.

So you are basically saying that he's shite, but you don't care if he stays.

24 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Well, on the basis of this alone Marina, I can't see how anyone could accuse you of being a happy clapper. 

How, please tell me, has virtualy the same players and same manager who beat smashed Boro and Swansea are unable to string hardly any passes together and go on such a rubbish run of results?

We let ourselves be bullied last night and showed little to no fight or passion, seems like half the players couldnt be arsed and that half also should be swept straight out the door. Fam strolling around and Wells are miles away from being any threat and should be the first to leave. Big mistake by NP to keep playing them one that may well cost him his job imo.

If Pearson isn't announced as the manager for next season and beyond by the weekend, I seriously doubt he will be. 

By that point, Steve would have been here for about 2 weeks (maybe 3 - lost track of time). If he's waiting for a win to announce the news it will be at some point next season (hopefully!) because this bunch are not getting another 3 points on the board. We'll be lucky to scrape a point per game.

How long does it take to look someone in the eye/face to face? 

It really wouldn't surprise me if at the end of the season, we ended up having to get a new squad, new manager, new coaches, new medical team, and a new CEO type.

Unless Lansdown can pull this out of the bag soon, I think we will actually go down next season. He hasn't previously shown that he can get the right appointment when it matters.

Worrying times.

Archived