IGNORED

Why Pearson?

Berkshire Red

7 minutes ago, bris red said:

I really like him and his no nonsense attitude, the way he comes across in interviews is a breath of fresh air but tonight’s result i have to be honest is the first one that has got me questioning if he really is the right man to take us forward..

I’m going to stick my neck out on the line and say i would still give him time and at least the summer transfer window to mould his own squad and clear out the deadwood. 

Whether it's Pearson or someone else, they'd need a lot longer than that.

We, to my mind, are in pretty much same position as we would have been if we'd have kept Holden as I think he would have got around similar points return.

However Pearson is proven quality so does deserve time to sort the squad out. I think he's done poorly so far but also I think once we lost to Bournemouth the season was over so although its poor, the players have given up.

Luckily this has all happened in a season that its been hard to care about it all. Just as long as they can sort it out for next season please...

7 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Stop making excuses for Pearson - as a supposed quality manager he should have at least improved our performances instead of making them worse....even with a poor squad.

He is also making bizarre team selections and picking players who we all know are sh*te.

I don't think he will stay with us and frankly, I don't care

Has it occurred to you that he is a quality manager, not necessarily a great coach. Which is why he has been successful when he has employed his own coaches.

The coaches that he has been lumbered with are as bad as the players that he has been lumbered with. And the players that he has been lumbered with are that bad because they have been coached by incompetence.

22 minutes ago, Berkshire Red said:

Can someone tell me why the desperation for Pearsons contract to be extended. Its all well and good to blame the players and their lack of effort but he is the manager and it's his responsibility to motivate them. 

I personally think we would be better off had we stuck with Holden and criticising the players is all well and good, but given the current climate he may have to work with a lot next season and seems to have no consideration for this fact?

Should we be extending the contract of a manager who's picked up 9 points in 11 games? Arguably we didn't deserve to pick up points against Swansea and have looked poor the last 5 or 6 games 

No disrespect to you but I think you’re looking in the wrong place. This has been coming for three years , it’s not over the last few weeks or this season . Mark Ashton plus Lansdown plus Johnson has presided over this shambles. 
very much like SOD , Pearson is picking up the pieces .

I wanted Pearson as I thought we needed someone to come in and sort out the current mess the club is in. It'd be madness to ditch him before he's even had a chance to - not even a single transfer window yet.

I'd keep him, and begin to judge him at Christmas.

11 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Stop making excuses for Pearson - as a supposed quality manager he should have at least improved our performances instead of making them worse....even with a poor squad.

He is also making bizarre team selections and picking players who we all know are sh*te.

I don't think he will stay with us and frankly, I don't care

Not making excuses for NP but some of these so say professional players seem very disinterested, and we are relying on the kids to bail us out.

11 minutes ago, bris red said:

I really like him and his no nonsense attitude, the way he comes across in interviews is a breath of fresh air but tonight’s result i have to be honest is the first one that has got me questioning if he really is the right man to take us forward..

I’m going to stick my neck out on the line and say i would still give him time and at least the summer transfer window to mould his own squad and clear out the deadwood. 

It’s very clear from what he’s saying that too many people aren’t pulling their weight and just doing what they want - but he doesn’t have enough fit alternatives to drop them.

He’s practically saying it right now that those players will be gone. I trust him for the summer 

This team is not fit for purpose at present we all know that. 
The youngsters have stepped up such Han Noah, Bakinson Samenyo and co. 
We have 14 players out of contract at end of season I wouldn’t care right now if all of them left.

A manager of Pearson’s experience could rebuild a squad that may challenge but would he want the job anyway? Also who else would we bring in ? 
The players have to take most of the blame they are under performing and bring over paid so stealing a wage 

14 minutes ago, tin said:

Incredible that some people had more patience for a novice like Holden, who knew the players, had a pre-season and two transfer windows, than they do in Pearson (who’s had none of those, by the way). At some point you have to have a good look at these players, not the manager.

But Holden was averaging significantly over 1 point a game and got fired because we weren't looking like we would make the play-offs. The same was true about Johnson.

Yet a guy who has come in, changes squad every week and has been unable to get us playing anything remotely close to good football should be given a contract extension? Holden at least had a new manager boost. Pearsons not even had that

I still think Pearson is the right man for the job. 

It’s been a terrible run and I’m not making excuses for it, but we’ve realistically been safe for weeks, have a ton of injuries, no fans in stadiums to play for... I just want this season (and life as we know it since March 2020!) to end. 

Full summer, transfer window, pre-season, fans back at Ashton Gate and it will be a different story.

Surely?

1 minute ago, Berkshire Red said:

But Holden was averaging significantly over 1 point a game and got fired because we weren't looking like we would make the play-offs. The same was true about Johnson.

Yet a guy who has come in, changes squad every week and has been unable to get us playing anything remotely close to good football should be given a contract extension? Holden at least had a new manager boost. Pearsons not even had that

The players have downed tools - it’s as clear as day 

1 minute ago, Berkshire Red said:

With a transfer window.

11 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

We would be down with Holden, let’s make that absolutely clear 

I wanted Holden out but We’d be down without the points Holden got us at the start of the season ... that’s for sure ... and I’m pretty sure Holden would’ve got us the same return that Pearson has so far 

2 minutes ago, Berkshire Red said:

It's not very complicated. Holden was out of his depth. Should never have been given the job. Nor should Johnson, who was given far too long to prove what many of us could see long ago. Pearson is trading on his history of success...whether he can repeat it is of course a moot point...but at least he knows what success looks like...unlike his immediate predecessors.

7 minutes ago, Berkshire Red said:

Holden was out of his depth and so it proved. @ExiledAjaxhas already compared DH and NP in terms of the last 10 or 11 games and NP came out on top in most elements. I think he should get a chance, yes, because the players are the big problem. 

These players have seen off LJ, Holden and are now undermining Pearson, all in the space of a year. If you want to defend them, be my guest but you’re barking up the wrong tree IMO.

44 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I was delighted with his appointment but surely everyone is a little disappointed in what he’s achieved so far.

I am. But that’s it, there is anything more to say about Nige.

Let’s get back to who created this mess and how it occurred.

Give him a transfer window to get some players in who will buy into how he wants to play. At the moment he's got players who know they'll be gone in the summer. Backroom staff maybe who aren't up to the job etc. Going by his interviews it sounds like he knows he'll be here next season so I'm sure there's a lot going on behind the scenes in preparation for next season. 

The best chance we have in my opinion, is someone with experience and a track record.  I still think Pearson is the right man as long as he is given a fair chance in the transfer window, Landsdown is happy/willing to invest in both the playing and non playing staff and a plan is announced soon.

Some huge decisions for them both in the coming weeks. 

I'm not convinced though the longer this goes on that Nigel will want the job - and the way I'm feeling right now, I wouldn't blame him one bit. 

32 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Well, failing barbaric means of motivation, i cant think of anyone who could motivate a squad full of players who couldnt give a toss because theyre out of contract in a month’s time. 
Pathetic and shameful bunch of players. 
Give Nige his squad and some of his own players and then judge him. 

OOC players should be motivated to earn their next contract even if that is not here.

Transfer market could be brutal for them.

Archived