IGNORED

Why Pearson?

Berkshire Red

9 hours ago, Bobbie said:

Aside from the results/performances, I can’t say I’ve taken to Nige. In fact, he’s the first manager I’ve felt an inherent dislike to since Pulis. Maybe he’s the character we need but I wouldn’t fancy a pint with the bloke

5 minutes ago, Taz said:

If Pearson isn't announced as the manager for next season and beyond by the weekend, I seriously doubt he will be. 

By that point, Steve would have been here for about 2 weeks (maybe 3 - lost track of time). If he's waiting for a win to announce the news it will be at some point next season (hopefully!) because this bunch are not getting another 3 points on the board. We'll be lucky to scrape a point per game.

How long does it take to look someone in the eye/face to face? 

It really wouldn't surprise me if at the end of the season, we ended up having to get a new squad, new manager, new coaches, new medical team, and a new CEO type.

Unless Lansdown can pull this out of the bag soon, I think we will actually go down next season. He hasn't previously shown that he can get the right appointment when it matters.

Worrying times.

I share all of your concerns. Many people seem to think that Pearson is a done deal to stay but I just don’t see it like that at all.

SL will know, as we all do, that the thing this club needs at the moment above everything else is stability. With Ashton going, no permanent manager and 14 players out of contract we are in a complete mess at present. With all of that in mind you’d think that sorting out a long term managerial appointment would be the highest priority and yet the silence is deafening. Without a win or two to finish the season I think SL will go by results and look elsewhere.

I’m really not sure what I think about Pearson myself now. On balance I’d still say give him the job, because his track record speaks for itself and he really is operating with both hands tied at present.

But, absolute shower of shite that they are, even these players should be getting better results than they are. In recent weeks we’ve lost to Rotherham, been hammered by Coventry, lost to a Stoke team that hadn’t won away in months and now lost to Wycombe. Make no mistake, these are all desperately poor sides and yet we’ve lost most of these with barely a whimper. Even this gutless mob should be picking up some points in games like these... can we really absolve Pearson of all blame for all of these defeats? If it was almost any other manager, and certainly if it was LJ or Holden, we certainly wouldn’t.

I think that, whatever we do next, it needs to happen quickly. If it’s Pearson I’m perfectly happy with that because his track record tells us he can do the job when he has his own players and staff working with him. But whatever we do, for Christ’s sake get on with it. 

I would still like Pearson to be appointed. Plenty of these players will be moved on thankfully and that is the only positive I can see at the moment. Watching some of the players awful control and static movement I’m not surprised NP can’t get any results . We have a large amount of players that are simply not good enough and the quicker they **** off the better. Huge summer ahead 

If I was Nigel Pearson - who comes across as a committed and thoughtful professional, frustrated by walking into a club full of half-hearted journeymen - I'd be asking 'why Bristol City?'. The club is a mess. It increasingly appears to me that our club has become a vanity project.  Putting up impressive buildings and naming them after yourself is one thing, building a thriving football club something quite different, something Steve Lansdown has had 20 years to perfect and is little closer to achieving now than he was at the start. The Lansdowns - both owner and Chairman - now seem to want to enjoy life on an island hideout. Quite how that fits with having the final say in every aspect of running a provincial English football club is beyond me. It can only work if you appoint qualified and committed people and let them get on with the job. We had that with Cotts and Keith Burt under the chairmanship of Keith Dawe. Their excellent legacy has been frittered away. I'm afraid all our concerns about Mark Ashton turned out to be right. Lansdown again backed the wrong man.

I happen to think Nigel Pearson could be the right man. He'll need an infrastructure built around him. I see no signs that on past form the Lansdowns will build that. Good luck everybody!

The problem at City has been the recruitment and it’s the same problem that is taking the Sags down to League 2.

It doesn’t matter how many managers you put in charge the blend within the team is wrong and as a collective the team isn’t good enough to consistently compete at this level.

It is unfair to judge NP as it is to judge JB at Rovers. They have both inherited a mess and need time to build their own team in their own image.

NP has a squad blighted by injuries and players OOC who will be leaving at the end of the season.

Fortunately we aren’t going down and it is clear that some players minds are elsewhere and others realise that there is nothing left to play for.

Enough has been done to keep City up and that was the short term aim. It hasn’t been pretty, but it has been stale ever since the latter end of LJ’s reign.

NP will know what he wants and SL will know how far he is prepared to subsidise any project. 

One thing that is clear is that a lot of work needs to be done over the summer, so whether NP is here for the short term or long term something has to be done to stabilise the management situation and prepare adequately over the summer.

Too often in the past we have messed around for too long over the summer and that cannot happen this time around. Get it wrong and our chances of survival in this division next season will be slim at best.

21 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I would still like Pearson to be appointed. Plenty of these players will be moved on thankfully and that is the only positive I can see at the moment. Watching some of the players awful control and static movement I’m not surprised NP can’t get any results . We have a large amount of players that are simply not good enough and the quicker they **** off the better. Huge summer ahead 

What I continue to find interesting is that exactly the same things were said before Holden was sacked, but then all responsibility was apportioned to Holden and the coaches and none to the players.  Now the exact opposite is true: it’s all the players’s fault and not Pearson’s.  There have been recent performances that were just as depressing as the 6-0 defeat to Watford and maybe it’s partly that it’s been a long and horrible season and now there’s almost nothing to play for, but still I would have expected Pearson to have produced something far, far better than what we are seeing.  He should be inspiring the players but clearly he isn’t.  You could argue that the players should be giving 100% whoever is the manager, but his dour presence on the line isn’t likely to lift anyone.  The more I think about it, the more uncertain I am that he’s the right man to take us forward.  

Why Nigel Pearson? Because he knows how to win promotion out of this league and has had success at more than one club.

Controversial opinion: I don’t think the situation is anywhere near as bad as people make out. Granted, we’re having a shit time and the playing squad is a mess, but with 14 out-of-contract players and the chance to restructure recruitment with Mark Ashton leaving, I think it’s pretty exciting to see what happens next. People forget how quickly things can change and the blessing of our situation is that change is now able to happen.

The manager overseeing that has to be experienced, though, and if it’s not Pearson we’re wasting valuable time right now.

Personally, I’d be plonking him on a two-year contract and tapping into every bit of his knowledge.

19 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

What I continue to find interesting is that exactly the same things were said before Holden was sacked, but then all responsibility was apportioned to Holden and the coaches and none to the players.  Now the exact opposite is true: it’s all the players’s fault and not Pearson’s.  There have been recent performances that were just as depressing as the 6-0 defeat to Watford and maybe it’s partly that it’s been a long and horrible season and now there’s almost nothing to play for, but still I would have expected Pearson to have produced something far, far better than what we are seeing.  He should be inspiring the players but clearly he isn’t.  You could argue that the players should be giving 100% whoever is the manager, but his dour presence on the line isn’t likely to lift anyone.  The more I think about it, the more uncertain I am that he’s the right man to take us forward.  

I think it’s very hard to judge him on the situation he’s inherited - again, simply because of the vacuum he’s walked into. A third of the squad is injured and half of the squad are about to leave the club. That’s fairly unique.

I just feel at some point you’ve got to stop whizzing through managers because they’ve not done it after 10 games and put faith in someone that’s been there, done it and is proven. Nigel Pearson is that.

I completely understand the reservations about Pearson the man - some will like him, some won’t. That’s fine and I certainly respect that opinion. And can I guarantee he’ll be a success? Obviously not, he might completely flop.

So you can ? me all you like - I’m not 100% he’s going to work out either - but I’m basing my view on the whole picture rather than a couple of really poor months.

7 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Some fair points. Also we have had an horrendous injury list which hasn’t helped. I also thought NP would have had more positive results. But he has the experience to build a decent side for next season. To let him go IMO would be a mistake. I don’t want another inexperienced manager or coach. I’m glad Ashton is going but if SL appoints another young coach and doesn’t learn from this season relegation is just a matter of time. Massive a couple of months for Bristol City 

34 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Why Nigel Pearson? Because he knows how to win promotion out of this league and has had success at more than one club.

Controversial opinion: I don’t think the situation is anywhere near as bad as people make out. Granted, we’re having a shit time and the playing squad is a mess, but with 14 out-of-contract players and the chance to restructure recruitment with Mark Ashton leaving, I think it’s pretty exciting to see what happens next. People forget how quickly things can change and the blessing of our situation is that change is now able to happen.

The manager overseeing that has to be experienced, though, and if it’s not Pearson we’re wasting valuable time right now.

Personally, I’d be plonking him on a two-year contract and tapping into every bit of his knowledge.

I think this post is spot on. This season has been like no other due to the impact of covid and has affected many clubs in many ways.

We have a poor and unbalanced squad that has been gradually getting worse for the last 3 years and our injury list has been incredible. Add to that the fact that a huge number of the squad are OOC this summer and it actually allows us to almost start with a blank canvass again.

I still feel Nige is the best option, and his contract and backroom staff need to be sorted asap, but i do feel he would have the perfect opportunity to reshape things this summer.

11 hours ago, Berkshire Red said:

Can someone tell me why the desperation for Pearsons contract to be extended. Its all well and good to blame the players and their lack of effort but he is the manager and it's his responsibility to motivate them. 

I personally think we would be better off had we stuck with Holden and criticising the players is all well and good, but given the current climate he may have to work with a lot next season and seems to have no consideration for this fact?

Should we be extending the contract of a manager who's picked up 9 points in 11 games? Arguably we didn't deserve to pick up points against Swansea and have looked poor the last 5 or 6 games 

Couldn't agree more - both him and the team bore me to death and I expected a lot more regardless of the state of our squad 

1 hour ago, glos old boy said:

How, please tell me, has virtualy the same players and same manager who beat smashed Boro and Swansea are unable to string hardly any passes together and go on such a rubbish run of results?

We let ourselves be bullied last night and showed little to no fight or passion, seems like half the players couldnt be arsed and that half also should be swept straight out the door. Fam strolling around and Wells are miles away from being any threat and should be the first to leave. Big mistake by NP to keep playing them one that may well cost him his job imo.

I agree with this to some extent but he has said he has concerns about throwing young kids on and letting them get smashed and the LT effect that could have on their careers. For me that’s a bit misplaced and game time is everything for a young player. But at least it explains his rationale re continuing selecting the dgaf players. 

That said, from his interview last night, sounds like patience has gone and there will be players who never play for us again. Hope so - current situation is just ridiculous. Much better to be blooding youngsters, even if they do get beat - that’s hardly a new situation for us this season. There is no season to ruin by playing kids. I’d honestly rather play some of the kids who are going to be released at this point. Because if they can show more fight for the shirt than the well paid senior pros on long contracts , what does that say about who got us into this situation?

FWIW I’m Pearson in. I think we’ve made the choice, his record is good, he showed at Watford what he can still do and if it’s not working for him here we shouldn’t immediately assume it’s all his fault. Clearly there are deeper issues with squad. These aren’t normal ‘disappointing performances’. It’s totally insipid. Having a short term manager probably isn’t helping.

And you can’t say NP has done nothing. He’s clearly having a positive effect on HMM, TB, ZV, SP... the future of the club.  NP reign is not totally without positives. 

So, for me, back the decision (that we were all unanimously happy with when it was made), commit to him with a contract and let him rebuild. And if it doesn’t work out, well, most managers don’t in the long run. But at least then we gave a manager we all assumed was good the best possible chance to succeed. Not just made him the latest convenient scapegoat for what are truly abject performances that started well before he arrived. 

6 hours ago, Superjack said:

So you are basically saying that he's shite, but you don't care if he stays.

Classic and typical regurgitation of words to form a different conclusion.

I have never said NP is shite and don't think that. 

What Ive said and am constantly being called out on by the NP 'must be signed now' militants:

NP has not improved our style of play, our cohesion or results. He made 1 extraordinary signing that, imo, was plain stupid.

He has had 11 games and won 2 drawn 3 and lost 6. And there are those demanding his instant long term appointment and keys to SL's safe. If Appleton had signed ( for example) everyone would be calling for his head on a stick given the same results and commitment shown by the players. It would be unacceptable.

I just don't see what he has done to deserve the adulation. H e may be very good in the long term- nobody knows that. So yes, thankfully I don't make the decision and care not whether he stays or goes.

PS - so that's a total of 9 points. Holden's last 11 games? 9 points.

7 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Yes, here they have. So the question for me is, why have they downed tools at Bristol City but not at Barnsley and Wycombe?

Why the **** are we the poster boys for the covid non-season?

Because Ashton told the majority in January they weren't being kept on, one of his standard great decisions. 

Also those two have something to fight for. Our season is over and half the squad are off. 

Not defending Pearson but these detestable shites wouldn't put a shift in for anyone these past months. 

1 minute ago, dREDful said:

Because Ashton told the majority in January they weren't being kept on, one of his standard great decisions. 

Also those two have something to fight for. Our season is over and half the squad are off. 

Not defending Pearson but these detestable shites wouldn't put a shift in for anyone these past months. 

Not just that, but at the same time he made it public that one player had been offered "one of the biggest contracts in the club's history". That player had no intention of signing and has barely broken sweat in the months since.

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

What Ive said and am constantly being called out on by the NP 'must be signed now' militants:

NP has not improved our style of play, our cohesion or results. He made 1 extraordinary signing that, imo, was plain stupid.

He has had 11 games and won 2 drawn 3 and lost 6. And there are those demanding his instant long term appointment and keys to SL's safe. If Appleton had signed ( for example) everyone would be calling for his head on a stick given the same results and commitment shown by the players. It would be unacceptable.

I just don't see what he has done to deserve the adulation. H e may be very good in the long term- nobody knows that. So yes, thankfully I don't make the decision and care not whether he stays or goes.

I get where you’re coming from and understand the concerns. But your point could equally be read as ‘we would be as wrong to think Appleton was bobbins after 11 games as we would to think NP is’. 

We have a lot going for us as club. But clearly there is major issue in the squad. It needs root and branch change not 11 game quick fix. 

In fact, if a manager could come in a get a rise out of this squad in 11 games, we’d be just as wrong to be sure he was the man for the long term as we would to think NP is not after 11 games. 

Squad problems here run deep. It’s a longer term fix. (And as lots have said, this isn’t to say NP is definitely the man. My point is, we can’t possibly know yet and best to commit to what we all thought was great appointment and give him best chance to succeed). 

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Not just that, but at the same time he made it public that one player had been offered "one of the biggest contracts in the club's history". That player had no intention of signing and has barely broken sweat in the months since.

Yeah. I’m not as on board with ‘Ashton is the devil’ as others. I think he might be doing an ok job in a lot of respects. But I completely agree that was a massive misstep  

Fans should take some responsibility too. There was a lot of ‘give him what he wants’ after every goal he’d score. And for me he is not a 30k a week championship striker. He’s nowhere near our best player even when playing well.

But even if you do really rate Fam, that aside - announcing he was going to get the best contract in our history was bonkers at a time when half the squad about to be ooc. Lessons should be learned from that. 

10 hours ago, Berkshire Red said:

But Holden was averaging significantly over 1 point a game and got fired because we weren't looking like we would make the play-offs. The same was true about Johnson.

Yet a guy who has come in, changes squad every week and has been unable to get us playing anything remotely close to good football should be given a contract extension? Holden at least had a new manager boost. Pearsons not even had that

....we were dropping like a stone and heading for another relegation fight, is surely the correct reason? The appointment of Deano said everything we needed to know about any play-off aspirations this season, I think we are safe to conclude? 

The hammering at Watford and then the "reaction" to this at home to Reading and Barnsley were sufficient even to bring our dismal plight into the awareness of Steve Lockdown.

9 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

Well, looking at their achievements in the game. Yes.

So NP has managed around 400 games and last tasted success in 2015 with Leicester.

Holden has managed around 40 games and across this small section did ok until the wheels came off in his final 7 games.

I'm not sure that looking at their achievements given one has managed 10 times as many games is a good comparison.

24 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Yes, here they have. So the question for me is, why have they downed tools at Bristol City but not at Barnsley and Wycombe?

Why the **** are we the poster boys for the covid non-season?

The performances are a reflection of the current culture throughout the club. Created by the CEO & board now manifesting onto the public side.

SL has his work cut out to turn this around and he should be furious with MA bailing at this stage. I wouldn’t be surprised is MA had exit route planned since SL appointed Holden over his head. 

It maybe NP is the closest person to help work out what’s needed and I wouldn’t be against it as he has more pedigree than any city manager in recent years but he’s been a bit underwhelming so far.  

Big changes required or its back to L1 that is for sure.

29 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

PS - so that's a total of 9 points. Holden's last 11 games? 9 points.

You are right to have doubts about Pearson being the answer to everything. Or anything. What this club appears to need is "freshening up" way above the Team Manager position. We have seen already that changing one bloke to pick the team for another bloke to do the same has limited impact on the fortunes of this club. We appear now to have gone stale and could use some impetus and an injection of energy and ideas right at the top.

And take our chance in a world of snakes, sharks and whaels.

Said last year we were a ‘mess’, now we’ve descended into a total, utter shambles from top to bottom. 

There is little, if anything, worth keeping from MAs tenure. A truly frightening level of damage inflicted on the Club in the last 5 years.

We now need a calm head, a person that is confident and assured, and someone with experience to get us out of this position. Like others, I’m somewhat underwhelmed by NPs start and baffled by his continued use of Fam. However, he has at least identified the key issues that need to be addressed and has the right credentials to re-build the Club from the smouldering ashes left by MA.

I therefore remain with the NP ‘in’ camp. Whether NP wants to stay and the owner(s) will meet his demands is another story.

This ain’t going to be cheap or easy and is not without risk. Hardly the 5 pillars  ‘evolution’ into a sustainable well-run Club that was envisaged after Cotts. We’re in need of ‘revolution’ which may well be too much for Steve to stomach.

Going to be an interesting 4 weeks, which is likely to determine our future for the next 5-10 years imo. 

SL has taken his eye of the football club. I blame it on this “Bristol Sport” ethos. It just doesn’t work. No focus.

Until someone improves dramatically the infrastructure of the squad (which is shite), the senior management/staff (which is shite), ensures the retention of your star players (if an improved player can not be found), then it makes no difference who the manager is.

Bristol City FC has been a basket case for years. No surprises about the results IMO.

8 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

SL has taken his eye of the football club. I blame it on this “Bristol Sport” ethos. It just doesn’t work. No focus.

Until someone improves dramatically the infrastructure of the squad (which is shite), the senior management/staff (which is shite), ensures the retention of your star players (if an improved player can not be found), then it makes no difference who the manager is.

Bristol City FC has been a basket case for years. No surprises about the results IMO.

He took his eye off the CEO - I believe SL had full trust in MA running the show and has been let down. 

I don't see what Pearson could have done differently given the situation he was parachuted into. He kept his available experienced players Wells, Diedhiou & Palmer in the team whilst giving some youngsters the opportunity to make a good impression. The senior players mentioned above have let him down and from what has been leaked he has made his feelings clear to them. Any manager will have a gigantic task to be completed before August. Having said that Pearson has the best knowledge, experience and contacts to achieve at least part of the job in the time available to him. 

Give him the job and give it to him soon.

Archived