IGNORED

garth ainsworth v nigel pearson who do you think would get the best out of you

big dosser

in my years of following city 4 managers i liked was terry cooper, joe Jordan, Gary Johnstone and cotts why because not only did i think they done a great job,but in one way or another they had charisma and a certain charm and respect with the fans and i always enjoyed listing to them.most of the other managers we have had in my years i find boring and predictable including Pearson

now garth ainsworth i think would suit us to a tee, the man has worked miracles with Wycombe on a pocket money budget, this season no matter who they have played they have give it go and are still fighting to the end trying to play attacking football, he is always positive and never chucks anyone under the bus which i really admire.

i know i am going to get shot down for this by quite a few but hay ho

but the question i ask to everyone who played or plays football which manager do you think would get the best out of you inspire you and give 100%for

2 minutes ago, big dosser said:

in my years of following city 4 managers i liked was terry cooper, joe Jordan, Gary Johnstone and cotts why because not only did i think they done a great job,but in one way or another they had charisma and a certain charm and respect with the fans and i always enjoyed listing to them.most of the other managers we have had in my years i find boring and predictable including Pearson

now garth ainsworth i think would suit us to a tee, the man has worked miracles with Wycombe on a pocket money budget, this season no matter who they have played they have give it go and are still fighting to the end trying to play attacking football, he is always positive and never chucks anyone under the bus which i really admire.

but the question i ask to everyone who played or plays football which manager do you think would get the best out of you inspire you and give 100%for

Who?

6 hours ago, big dosser said:

Let me ask you what has Gareth Ainsworth achieved as a Manager compared to Nigel Pearson. That is the true measure.

No one has a crystal ball, but usually the best guess as to what a manager might do in the future, is to look at what he has done in the past. With the greatest respect to Mr Ainsworth, who I agree, has done very well indeed for Wycombe, NP’s past record earns him the right to more than a few weeks trying to rearrange the deckchairs on the Titanic that is BCFC. 

33 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I think there is a big difference between what fans like in a manager and what motivates players. Old school managers with a bit of character appeal to fans. I'm not sure young players on big salaries will enjoy the straight talking that the fans enjoy. 

What kind of manager do you think Klopp and Pep are? I imagine they are straight talking and deal with very high paid youngsters? 

26 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I think there is a big difference between what fans like in a manager and what motivates players. Old school managers with a bit of character appeal to fans. I'm not sure young players on big salaries will enjoy the straight talking that the fans enjoy. 

So you get rid of them and get in players who will react.  It's not rocket science.  

2 minutes ago, The Bard said:

So you get rid of them and get in players who will react.  It's not rocket science.  

It might not be rocket science, but it’s a hell of a lot easier, cheaper and less risky to change one manager than to change 25 players. That’s why it’s always the managers that get the sack. 

8 hours ago, big dosser said:

are you a teacher

Hopefully not your English teacher ?. Only joking, although I am intrigued what Gary Johnson, Pearson and Wycombe have done to deserve their capital letters, while other managers, the club itself, and rules of grammar generally get lesser treatment ?

To answer your question though, I’m with @054123, I just don’t know any longer. It’s easy to just blame the board though; Pearson’s appointment was pretty much 100% supported by fans. We all thought he was the person who would be able to motivate, organise, generally turn things round in a way that hasn’t materialised. 

1 hour ago, Redrascal2 said:

Let me ask you what has Gareth Ainsworth achieved as a Manager compared to Nigel Pearson. That is the true measure.

Given what he has achieved with absolutely no budget and club for club comparison, I would say Ainsworth’s achievements are not that far away from being on par with Pearson.

I know people say that it was him who assembled the squad that won Leicester the premier league, but it wasn’t him who actually achieved it. So a promotion to the premier league with a club that should be there anyway is his main achievement.

Ainsworth took a club from league 2 nothingness to competing in the championship. A remarkable achievement given where they had come from.

@big dosseri wouldn’t have been against Ainsworth when Johnson was sacked last season. He organises his team, admittedly direct but he makes the best use of this players and ability / lack of ability. Looking in from the outside his players seem to like him and play for him. However, i understood Wycombe got into the play offs on PPG? So had the season been finished correctly may not even be in this league. 

There is an element of snobbery within our fan base as demonstrated by @Redrascal2comment. If the club appoints a Lowe or Ainsworth comments of only managed in lower leagues , smaller clubs etc will follow. 

I’m not convinced Pearson will be here next season, either his decision or ours. It’s a huge rebuilding job , we’ve been left with an unbalanced squad , a weak squad and to replace players is going to cost a lot either through players leaving for free, paying up contracts (possibly Wells and Palmer) and bringing in replacements. It needs the right guy not the biggest name 

2 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

im not against nigel and think he is a good manager just wanted to get the opinion of who you think you would perform better under from your own point of view as a player or if you have played.

21 minutes ago, daored said:

@big dosseri wouldn’t have been against Ainsworth when Johnson was sacked last season. He organises his team, admittedly direct but he makes the best use of this players and ability / lack of ability. Looking in from the outside his players seem to like him and play for him. However, i understood Wycombe got into the play offs on PPG? So had the season been finished correctly may not even be in this league. 

There is an element of snobbery within our fan base as demonstrated by @Redrascal2comment. If the club appoints a Lowe or Ainsworth comments of only managed in lower leagues , smaller clubs etc will follow. 

I’m not convinced Pearson will be here next season, either his decision or ours. It’s a huge rebuilding job , we’ve been left with an unbalanced squad , a weak squad and to replace players is going to cost a lot either through players leaving for free, paying up contracts (possibly Wells and Palmer) and bringing in replacements. It needs the right guy not the biggest name 

i think from big Nigel is a good manager but from my personal point of view i would have loved to play for garth. And yes i totally agree with you on the snobbery, we are not as big of a club that some think hence are position

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

It might not be rocket science, but it’s a hell of a lot easier, cheaper and less risky to change one manager than to change 25 players. That’s why it’s always the managers that get the sack. 

We've changed manager to then change the players.  And timed it so that the new manager has a decent period to look at what is here, what he wants to keep and what he wants to recruit.  Seems like a plan to me.

44 minutes ago, The Bard said:

We've changed manager to then change the players.  And timed it so that the new manager has a decent period to look at what is here, what he wants to keep and what he wants to recruit.  Seems like a plan to me.

But when you talk about 'change the players' - how many, and how quickly?

The implication from a lot of what I read on here is that it needs most of them to change. That may not be what you meant. But that's just not realistic and I don't think there will be as wholesale a clearout and change in the summer as some think. Changing a whole squad over one summer is a massive job (and we're currently without the person who negotiates that), it's a massive risk, and its a massive cost.

So if you just change a few, and are left with the bulk of the current squad then isn't that already a risk, given that its the bulk of the squad that Pearson has worked with for however long now, and without much evidence of things going in the right direction.

I genuinely don't know the answer. I wish I could be as confident as you that either:   

a) we recruit a whole new squad of players chosen by NP in the summer and it will all fit together nicely or

b) we start next season with a few tinkering to the squad and NP will turn round results in a way he hasn't the past few weeks.

I'd love either of those to be the case - I'm just not confident of it.

2 hours ago, big dosser said:

i think from big Nigel is a good manager but from my personal point of view i would have loved to play for garth. And yes i totally agree with you on the snobbery, we are not as big of a club that some think hence are position

It's a good point. I guess it's different personalities and different management styles - and maybe that's part of our problem. It wouldn't be the first time in SLs tenure that he's tried to change the style of management without apparently realising the impact on players - motivationally, tactically etc.

I don't really know enough about NP and I'm not quite sure he's up there in the Neil Warnock 'old school' type, but its quite likely that we've got a lot of players who don't respond to NPs style - in the way you wouldn't.

One of the OSIB 'cider with' episodes featured David Noble, and if ever there was a clash of management and player personalities that wasn't going to work well then it was him playing under Steve Evans. Hilarious! But I guess there were players Evans could get the best out of.

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

But when you talk about 'change the players' - how many, and how quickly?

The implication from a lot of what I read on here is that it needs most of them to change. That may not be what you meant. But that's just not realistic and I don't think there will be as wholesale a clearout and change in the summer as some think. Changing a whole squad over one summer is a massive job (and we're currently without the person who negotiates that), it's a massive risk, and its a massive cost.

So if you just change a few, and are left with the bulk of the current squad then isn't that already a risk, given that its the bulk of the squad that Pearson has worked with for however long now, and without much evidence of things going in the right direction.

I genuinely don't know the answer. I wish I could be as confident as you that either:   

a) we recruit a whole new squad of players chosen by NP in the summer and it will all fit together nicely or

b) we start next season with a few tinkering to the squad and NP will turn round results in a way he hasn't the past few weeks.

I'd love either of those to be the case - I'm just not confident of it.

We have scope to extensively change the squad already. A lot of players are ooc and few if any have done anything to merit a new contract. 

The squad clearly needs battle hardened ambitious players ready to step up themselves. We need a summer much like Cotterill had with Ayling, Smith, Agard, Wilbraham, , Freeman  Little. Most saw us as a step up and were around 22 to 24. One or 2 Wilbrahams would help too. 

5 hours ago, big dosser said:

By the way, it's 'Gareth' as well.

And I should know. ?

5 hours ago, big dosser said:

chaps this was not about who is the best man for the job,it was about you chaps on here, who you think yow would play under best.

I don't know too much about GA's managerial style, but from I've heard, read and seen from NP, I don't think I'd have done great under him.

I think I would have got on well with LJ as I think there was a lot more tactical ideas going on behind the scenes. I just think he tried to do too many at once and when it didn't work out would panic.

14 minutes ago, Superjack said:

By the way, it's 'Gareth' as well.

And I should know. ?

always find it funny when people moan about black lives matter and bulling but are quite happy to take the piss out of people who are dyslexic even though its water off a ducks back to me but may not be to others. Maybe one day down the gate you can give me a spelling lesson sir

32 minutes ago, big dosser said:

always find it funny when people moan about black lives matter and bulling but are quite happy to take the piss out of people who are dyslexic even though its water off a ducks back to me but may not be to others. Maybe one day down the gate you can give me a spelling lesson sir

I suspected as much and, as I am sure you are aware, you are not the only one on this forum: it is nothing about which you should feel embarrassed, I am sure you possess other qualities that would put me and others to shame.

I am probably one of the worst culprits for making sarcastic comments about posters' spelling and/or grammatical mistakes, but I believe I am able to distinguish between a genuine poster's typo or simple (amusing) mistake and posters such as you, who clearly struggle with spelling due to your reading/writing disorder.

Keep on posting - it is the subject matter that is important, not how you put your views in to print ?.  

1 hour ago, big dosser said:

No offence intended fella.

I have just had people leaving the 'e' out of my name since I was a kid. ?

49 minutes ago, Superjack said:

No offence intended fella.

I have just had people leaving the 'e' out of my name since I was a kid. ?

no probs many thanks to be fair i have never let it bother me and its never got in the way,but over the years as a project manger i have help many young lads and girls that have worked for me try to overcome it and not feel embarrassed, I,i take it with a pinch of salt but sometime people think im being blunt when i write a email but the reason is im fu/ked over 5 letters :laugh:

by the way i just had 6 attempts at embarrassed and i still think its wrong bloody spell check

Archived