IGNORED

Massive

headhunter

One word describes the task Steve Lansdown is facing in the coming weeks: MASSIVE !!

This is a recording of the latest FBC Podcast: https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/massive-1619071266/

City's one moment of class in this game was Bakinson's 2nd goal in a week which provided an interval lead. In the second half City put in a performance of the kind we have become increasingly used to. An equaliser conceded through lack of physicality in the 6 yard area and then, as they stumbled to what would have been a point against the bottom of the table side, a needless [?] handball from Palmer in the box from a shot by goalkeeper Stockdale and up steps the Barrel that is Akinfenwa to strike home a penalty for his first goal in 38 games!!!

It's 9 from 33 points since Nigel Pearson has been in charge - hardly inspiring is it. Take away the opening 4 straight wins and its 39 points from 39 games. I'm still backing him with injuries being his get out of jail card but he's not stamped any identity on the rabble that is taking the field and for me, I don't want to see Fam pull on a City shirt again.

The task for SL is massive for these reasons: we need clarity on the manager position, a new CEO is required, there needs to be an independent review of the medical set up, the recruitment team needs a proper player acquisition professional, and then the task of building a competitive squad for next season has to be commenced. These things must be sorted by the middle of June or we can write off season 21/22.

I'm not renewing yet. I will, but not until I see some direction off the field.

Totally agree. With regard to NP I like everything he says in particular when he speaks about the players showing collective responsibility and working hard for the team off the ball, BUT his actions in continually picking Fammy who has not looked interested since the M'Boro game and for me shows none of the traits NP speaks of is really baffling. 

I wonder how the other players are supposed to buy-in to NPs vision when they see this. I was mega positive about NP when he arrived, but I'm really unsure now because of this.

23 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Totally agree. With regard to NP I like everything he says in particular when he speaks about the players showing collective responsibility and working hard for the team off the ball, BUT his actions in continually picking Fammy who has not looked interested since the M'Boro game and for me shows none of the traits NP speaks of is really baffling. 

I wonder how the other players are supposed to buy-in to NPs vision when they see this. I was mega positive about NP when he arrived, but I'm really unsure now because of this.

Fam’s been a joke since January, but he’s also a senior professional who we’ve been promised we “would get full value out of on the pitch”. He, and others, have to take responsibility for themselves. 

NP’s already talked about protecting the kids, which is probably the right way to go. The bottom line is if they’re good enough to start, they’d be starting.

That says, to me at least, annoyingly he doesn’t have another option — especially when you consider Fam’s doing more work in his own box than he is in the opposition’s and we have nobody that attacks the first ball. 

It’s pathetic Ashton has allowed the situation to get to this. 

Somebody needs to prop open the exit door and start moving people out now. The longer this goes on the more problems seem to be festering. NP should do what Warnock has done and push one or two straight through the door. We all want the managerial situation sorted quickly but for me getting in the MA replacement is even more urgent. Delaying until June as Headhunter says is too late to effect next season. Action not words are needed now. Right now !

To me it’s very simple - firstly Nige inherited a poor squad after 4 or 5 years of dodgy recruitment. However he managed  to steer City away from the DZ but since then the players have been on the beach and that’s was so obvious last night at Adams Pk.

Nige summed it up pretty well in his post match comments. He could hardly have been more damming. 

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

NP inherited a dressing clique based around low effort and no accountability. With a contract to the end of the year only it robbed him of any sort of authority and allowed them to think that by doing the bare minimum they could get rid of this guy and get another soft touch manager in. Its the same when a coach announces he will leave at the end of the season. His authority disappears instantly and an internal power struggle starts.

I am sad to say that this is typical of SL. Over cautious and not understanding the down and dirty part of actually bossy a team and the dressing room.

With Ashton gone we desperately need some real football people on our board instead of slick suits. We are a football team not a property development company after all.

i think the plan for this season was well laid out earlier on,get our moneys worth out of the players ooc this season. in effect,those players have pretty much fulfilled the needed work needed and are just seeing it out now. i looked at it another way today, by running with what we had,we have saved pretty much half a teams wages this year by not having had a load of new blokes in challenging for a needless position while stll paying all the half hearted

This is obvious, but we need to make decisions now.

Is Pearson who we want? If so offer him the job. If not, let’s move on.

Decide now on those players out of contract we don’t want & stop having them around the squad, the way Warnock has just done with Fletcher & Assombalonga.

The decision on a manager may not be as easy as we hoped because results have been so poor but we need to be decisive now either way.

22 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

This is obvious, but we need to make decisions now.

Is Pearson who we want? If so offer him the job. If not, let’s move on.

Decide now on those players out of contract we don’t want & stop having them around the squad, the way Warnock has just done with Fletcher & Assombalonga.

The decision on a manager may not be as easy as we hoped because results have been so poor but we need to be decisive now either way.

One suspects that as soon as the pen is dry on a contract that certain players will be completely frozen out.  It really needs sorting now to get clarity for everyone.

28 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

RE. NP, it might be the position he's in. Perhaps on a short term contract he doesn't feel he can go "full throttle". It must be the same for the players TBF. The sooner this mess is sorted, the better .

I think his plan (which clearly hasn’t worked) was to make use of senior players like Hunt, Diedhiou & probably Lansbury that he is going to release to get us the points that saw us over the line before turning to a side based on those he wants for next season, plus the U23s.

Hindsight is wonderful but if he had his time again he probably would have done that latter bit sooner, but even with 5 who will presumably form part of next season’s squad not available to him (Dasilva, Williams, O’Dowda, Weimann & Martin) he should now do so.

Were just not very good and that is the legacy left by Mr Ashton and his recruitment process. It is a massive job and it needs a man with a massive personality to do it. They should appoint Pearson now and let him do it. As far as these players are concerned, get rid of them now. They havent done nearly enough, although what business lets its assets run down there contracts. Again, shocking from Ashton, who really should be doing some gardening leave. If the club need a CEO, I am available until the end of July. I am quite happy to fire alot of people. 

Archived