IGNORED

Our players just want an easy ride

dREDful

Last (late) Summer the local news broke that Dean Holden was all of a sudden a front runner for the job at City, over constant achiever Chris Hughton. 

On Twitter a number of players (Wells and Paterson I definitely remember among others) liked the tweet announcing this from Bristol Live's account for City news. Immediately I was concerned and said so on here and it has played out as you could have expected. 

Our players publicly stated they wanted their friend to coach them this year than someone with constant track record of promotions and improving players. They could have been better players, but they did not want that. They wanted the easy ride, without consequences, picking up their wages while not having to work for it. 

Make no mistake on your opinions on Holden (shit in mine) and Pearson (concerning in mine) that these players gave us absolutely no chance this season. They have no interest in success and I am so looking forward to these final 3 games finishing so we don't have to see many of them ever again at Ashton Gate (I doubt many will even stay in this league tbh).

The writing has been on the wall from the very start of the season and their attitude to who they wanted as a manager should tell you all you need to know about their ambitions. 

It's not just their attitude, it's also their ability.

Basically, they are poor players and no matter what the attitude, it won't make them play any better.

I would say only 3 are capable at this level and will improve and the rest are League 1 or below level.

So many have to go and be replaced with better and that is why we need to give Pearson at least the chance to do that over the summer.

I always thought that when they said a Manager had lost the dressing room, it was because the players had lost faith in the managers abity. How naive was that. In our case NP might have lost it because he is asking the idle backsliders to work and show some professionalism and pride. And to look at the reaction of some on this forum they are winning the battle to turn fans against Pearson. There are some exceptions but as a group what an embarrassment they are to our club 

Unfortunately this has been true of players at this club as long as I have been watching, other than local home-grown players who tend to care more. There are exceptions of course but successful players from other clubs do not come here if they are ambitious, they'd go to bigger clubs in London, the midlands or the north. They come here because they know they can "disappear", there's hardly any press coverage on us in the rest of the country and to an extent the fans are used to not having success on the pitch, Going back to when I first watched City, after we sold Chris Garland to Chelsea we signed Bobby Gould for £90,000, a club record at the time and he was the laziest player in the team, regularly getting caught offside because he couldn't be bothered to run back after an attack, and generally didn't look interested despite being the highest wage earner at the club. You could say Nahki Wells is similar although I'm not saying he's lazy, he just doesn't seem to care that much and we've had many others like this over the years. It's notable that our biggest success since I've been watching was getting promoted to Div 1 in 75/76 where the team was built around the side that won the FA Youth Cup for City a few years earlier. I don't know how we can stop being a football backwater where players can get highly paid for cruising through their contract without putting in the effort, it's just too easygoing in this part of the world.

NP sounds like he has sussed these players out and I'm think he'll only bring in hardworking team players who can get us out of this mess, he has to have at least one transfer window before we can judge him properly. 

34 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

It's not just their attitude, it's also their ability.

Basically, they are poor players and no matter what the attitude, it won't make them play any better.

I would say only 3 are capable at this level and will improve and the rest are League 1 or below level.

So many have to go and be replaced with better and that is why we need to give Pearson at least the chance to do that over the summer.

Absolutely agree, and I've been banging this drum for last 3 years. The talk and expectation of top 6 each season in this league really made me shake my head. We are a few years away of being able to challenge in this league.

If you offered me the chance to just survive relegation next season right now, I'd take it. 

46 minutes ago, dREDful said:

Last (late) Summer the local news broke that Dean Holden was all of a sudden a front runner for the job at City, over constant achiever Chris Hughton. 

On Twitter a number of players (Wells and Paterson I definitely remember among others) liked the tweet announcing this from Bristol Live's account for City news. Immediately I was concerned and said so on here and it has played out as you could have expected. 

Our players publicly stated they wanted their friend to coach them this year than someone with constant track record of promotions and improving players. They could have been better players, but they did not want that. They wanted the easy ride, without consequences, picking up their wages while not having to work for it. 

Make no mistake on your opinions on Holden (shit in mine) and Pearson (concerning in mine) that these players gave us absolutely no chance this season. They have no interest in success and I am so looking forward to these final 3 games finishing so we don't have to see many of them ever again at Ashton Gate (I doubt many will even stay in this league tbh).

The writing has been on the wall from the very start of the season and their attitude to who they wanted as a manager should tell you all you need to know about their ambitions. 

Spot on!

For a long time now, it appears that the only players we have with genuine ambition are the ones who put in a transfer request.  Most of the rest seem happy to just coast along and pick up a wage.

How we’ve got to this sad state, after the tens of £millions piled into this squad is baffling.  One thing is for sure, if you want to find a perfect example of pissing money up the wall, look no further than Bristol City!

At the moment, I really haven’t got a clue how we’re going to get out of this mess.

45 minutes ago, downendcity said:

The players want an easy ride? 

The National Express from Ashton Gate to anywhere else will be a piece of cake then! 

This is the only coach a lot of them need, not a swish luxury one but an old boneshaker to remove them from AG

coach.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Absolutely agree, and I've been banging this drum for last 3 years. The talk and expectation of top 6 each season in this league really made me shake my head. We are a few years away of being able to challenge in this league.

If you offered me the chance to just survive relegation next season right now, I'd take it. 

This is what happens when you sign "good human beings" yes men instead of difficult personalities (winners)

What disturbs me is that - in terms of outfield players - I feel our three key players currently are Vyner, Massengo and Bakinson.

All have come on leaps and bounds this season but all three are inconsistent - not surprising giving their age - and have plenty of room to improve.

The fact that three inconsistent young players with a handful of championship appearances prior to this season are pretty much carrying the team at the moment shows the absence of leadership and character elsewhere.

I accept injuries have played a part - Dasilva and Weimann are big losses, as is Martin and we still do not know what Walsh and Williams might have brought to the table this year - but the is still a complete absence of leadership and grit in our team which is alarming. We’ve got Millwall and Luton left to play and know we absolutely crumble against any kind of physicality. Our best chance of any result at all in the last three games is Brentford and that’s barely a chance at all as they are so much better than us.

It is a mess. 

6 minutes ago, Peter1450 said:

It does make you wonder why the OOC player’s aren’t playing with more pride/ effort just to put them in the shop window for a new club.

Really hope they struggle to find new clubs and see what it’s like to have to work for a living.

I wonder if they already have a club lined up?

1 hour ago, dREDful said:

At the risk of wildly generalising, there seems to be two types of players who display the required hunger at this level:

• The ones who come down from the Premier League and have a huge financial imperative (restoring their discounted salary) to get back up
  • The ones who are young and/or come up from the lower divisions, have momentum and ambition on their side and are hungry to push on.

We've obviously never had the first group. And (you can see where this is going) we had the second group, but dismantled it all in failing to build on promotion. 

For added irony, we tried to replace the "lower division" upstarts in the transfer market (O'Dowda, Taylor, Rowe, Szmodics, Eisa, Adelakun) but largely failed.

Instead we've become exactly the sort of team that drifts out the wrong end of this division - players who have found their level and comfortable with their lot.

1 hour ago, Redrascal2 said:

NP might have lost it because he is asking the idle backsliders to work and show some professionalism and pride

This....

Ultimately they're cosited,ego led individuals whom after years of life as "professional" (and I use that term extremely lightly) footballers have any semblance of 'reality totally watered down to the point of 'trace elements.

A penny for the thought's of the likes of Sir Geoff,,Big Cheese,,TC on them- shudder to think!!

Mr Gow will be turning in his grave.

I'm sure they would be as diplomatic as is possible?..

Beethoven couldn't get a tune out of this lot.

8 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

And season cards are now on sale folks.  How many do you think we will sell this year to watch that shower.  I thought we had hit 16k but I'm doubting that more than about 10k will be daft enough to splash their cash this time, especially as the world is still in the grip of a pandemic.

There will still be some that believe in the Tooth Fairy !!

31 minutes ago, dREDful said:

Sickening we're here when Cotterill's double winning side was only 6 years ago. 

Dread to think of the score had that lot ever had the chance to play these.

.... especially when you consider how many £millions have been spent assembling our supposedly strengthened current squad!

Archived