IGNORED

Action Thread - what would YOU do?

Numero Uno

Lots of moaning on here last night and this morning and rightly so. I know I'm done with the remaining matches this season, couldn't care less. Leaving that to the other topics, if BCFC was YOUR decision to make right now what would YOU do? Forget whether Pearson has done enough with this set of players, leave that elsewhere, from where we stand right here and now, how would you move the club forward?

I personally would be looking to appoint Pearson pretty much immediately subject to agreement of staffing structure/personnel changes, budget and agreement of timeframe for specified performance targets. I would get in a DOF/COO including placing Teflon on Gardening Leave as soon as it can be practically done, notify OOC players that Pearson wants to keep that we want to start negotiating their contracts and, maybe a bit harsh, I would also notify the remainder immediately that we won't be offering them anything and that they have a choice of staying until their contract runs out if they wish to try and change NP's mind or starting their holidays (extending their holiday in Fam's case) and sorting things out with their Agents now. Similarly any contracted players that NP wishes to move on and can realistically be moved on would be notified as soon as so that their Agent's can do the necessary work to get them a move elsewhere. I would also start the ball rolling NOW with players that NP has already identified he wishes to bring in.

To me the above is a less risky strategy than going through a vigorous recruitment process, taking six weeks plus to appoint a new Manager who needs a further six weeks to identify the issues meaning he is probably two to three months behind all our competitors on recruitment and pre-season planning by the time he has worked out what a mess we are. That would be a nail in next season's relegation coffin for me. Whether you think Pearson could and should have done better is one thing but we are caught between a rock and a hard place now and I believe our only chance of survival next season is to start things moving right NOW and if we don't act, let things drift (which is too often the SL way unfortunately) and allow Pearson to walk away relegation next season is a nailed on certainty.

I thought NPs post-match interview was interesting as he said some players are not taking personal responsibility for their performances. We could speculate to whom he was referring. Some players are no longer playing for the shirt (self evident) and need to move on.

I have long expected a big turnover of players this summer with so many out of contract. We also need to establish a balance between youth and experience to develop our young players; many have been thrown in at the deep end this season. It feels like we have a lot of promising young players but maybe too many to bring through at the same time in the championship and some will need to be moved on or loaned out.

I hope NP is the man to lead the renewal of the playing squad but whoever it is has one hell of a task on their hands.

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Similarly any contracted players that NP wishes to move on and can realistically be moved on would be notified as soon as so that their Agent's can do the necessary

I agree with all you say. I'd keep AW, tell Wells and the idiot Palmer to find another club and select/.search for a strong vocal captain.

Realistically, regardless of people's opinions on NP, if he were to go we would be up shit creek without a paddle next season. With so many players OOC in the summer, we don't have the time to go through hiring another manager as it will be time lost in the transfer market. NP knows the size of the job, who needs to go and hopefully who needs to come in. Give him a rolling 12-month contract and let him get on with it. 

Ashton needs to be put on gardening leave and a new CEO or COO needs to come in, even if that's Mark Kelly or Gavin Marshall for an interim period until the new man is in place. They should have two priorities: 1) to handle any contractual decisions, 2) to launch an independent review into the medical department to get to the bottom of these injuries. 

We also need a DoF or head of recruitment in place. I'd take Steve Walsh if he was up for it and let him revamp the recruitment department. Then we need to sign 12-13 new players before the start of pre-season in July. 

Just now, Sturgess said:

Completely agree with your sentiments. If anything, it is the uncertainty that is making the problem 10x worse.

Pearson has done his 'recce' phase and now needs to be empowered to execute his plan to turn this club around.

Nail on the head. I don't understand removing the one bloke who knows EXACTLY what is wrong at this club to be replaced with someone who will have to do all the learning again before they can even think about recruitment. Even if they are a fast learner and sit down and watch every single game this season there are still issues like personality traits of players, who are the good apples, the bad apples etc. that they will not have a clue about until they've learned it on the job. We have the bloke who already knows all that "in-situ". Even if he turns out to be less than we hoped on an achievement/performance level and we have to sack him in 18 months we should be able to trust him to at least make the right changes this club needs on a structural level. With the right adjustments made that will mean the next Manager we appoint has a chance. It's a bit like snooker where you have to be two to three shots ahead of yourself and the obvious shot you want to play might not be the right shot to play if you want to set up a big break. The mess we find ourselves in needs to be stabilised and gradually reversed. The first part of stabilising ourselves is to keep the Manager we have imo.

8 minutes ago, tin said:

Realistically, regardless of people's opinions on NP, if he were to go we would be up shit creek without a paddle next season. With so many players OOC in the summer, we don't have the time to go through hiring another manager as it will be time lost in the transfer market. NP knows the size of the job, who needs to go and hopefully who needs to come in. Give him a rolling 12-month contract and let him get on with it. 

Ashton needs to be put on gardening leave and a new CEO or COO needs to come in, even if that's Mark Kelly or Gavin Marshall for an interim period until the new man is in place. They should have two priorities: 1) to handle any contractual decisions, 2) to launch an independent review into the medical department to get to the bottom of these injuries. 

We also need a DoF or head of recruitment in place. I'd take Steve Walsh if he was up for it and let him revamp the recruitment department. Then we need to sign 12-13 new players before the start of pre-season in July. 

If an Interim COO enabled us to get a head start on certain player and staffing negotiations then I would be all for that (there may be certain roles that would have to wait for your incoming COO to be involved in). Good shout.

19 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I would like to hear his detailed blue print and strategy for the summer and start of next season.

Then an initial short term contract please - until he has proved himself.

We don't want to be stuck with another dud for 3 years.

One year rolling contract is common now anyway.

Non Playing

Pearson, Walsh, Scudamore, Gould in pdq.

They oversee a massive clear out - coaches, medics, fitness. 

Playing

Bents, Kalas keep. Find out where the hell Williams is and what is he doing and possibly keep. 

See if we can flog off anyone else and reinvest in players who have personal pride, passion in their performances, are strong mentally and physically (with decent hamstrings) and have some ****** leadership qualities. 

Simples. 

I would let the contracts that are out this summer dry out. Enter the window and purchase nobody over the age of 24 (If we go older they should be loan only), we have a scouting team who should be capable of finding gems in L1 or abroad. We should have absolutely no "Has beens" left in the squad. I believe this team is still salvageable but it won't be easy. 

IF we have money, it needs to spent on a striker. 

and finally, we need to 100% keep NP. 

NP will know by now which players he wants to ditch. Whilst I am a surprised and also concerned that NP hasn't got more out of the team, i see no choice but to back him, and give him full power to set up the coaching team, staff and players that he chooses. Let him structure the footballing side of the club as he see's fit. Clearly this has to be done within the Covid financial budget, so there will have to be compromises.

As concerned as i am about recent results, it makes no sense to me to ditch NP and get another man in. A new man will want time to assess the squad - i dont think we have time for that. Back him as much as we can, and judge him at Christmas.

As for the CEO - i have no idea who really, but that person should not very heavily involved in recruitment other than sanctioning the spend. 

There is a hell of a lot to do - lets get on with it and start by offering NP a longer term deal.

As for the players - potentially the list of players to get rid of is quite big. Im not sure its realistic to do that in one transfer window on a limited covid budget, so im expecting a fair few players that we give stick to on here still being involved next season.

31 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Non Playing

Pearson, Walsh, Scudamore, Gould in pdq.

They oversee a massive clear out - coaches, medics, fitness. 

Playing

Bents, Kalas keep. Find out where the hell Williams is and what is he doing and possibly keep. 

See if we can flog off anyone else and reinvest in players who have personal pride, passion in their performances, are strong mentally and physically (with decent hamstrings) and have some ****** leadership qualities. 

Simples. 

I would say HNM at 19 has shown all the above qualities, except it’s too soon to judge his leadership.

2 minutes ago, Richard Head said:

I would say HNM at 19 has shown all the above qualities, except it’s too soon to judge his leadership.

..... And  that he has should be the cause of deep enbassement to older, more experienced players who haven't. 

Except that it won't be, and that's why we are in the mess that we are! ?

2 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

However I would like to see them sidelined and not playing.

Or coach them to the next level. Take COD as an example - capable of brilliant things but also capable of utter dog shit too. Find a level of consistency and could be a decent reliable player, and the same could be said of Semenyo, Vyner, Bakinson, Paterson etc

The interesting thing so far is that none of the increasing number of “Pearson Out” posters have come on and explained:

Who they would be looking to appoint and in what timescale?

How the new Manager will be able to form an opinion and identify the issues at the club requiring rectification in the timescales needed?

How that person would be able to make informed judgements on staff and players?

How they would stop ooc players we may want to keep from jumping ship before the new Manager can even speak to them?

It’s one thing saying Pearson Out and Wilder in for example but how is Wilder going to have the time and acquire the information to make the necessary changes even assuming he had the remotest interest in being here?

In all honesty where do you start? More leaks than a sieve. 

I'd start with the players. As soon as it is mathematically impossible to go down I would bomb a load of them into the stiffs and throw in some of the hungry youngsters.

I'd rather see them giving their all than experienced players who lack any sort of enthusiasm for this football club.

There are no fans to get on the back of these youngsters and so it's the perfect opportunity to give them a breakthrough.

I'm sick to death of seeing youngsters like Louis Britton banging in goals in the under 23's and then being subjected to lackluster self entitled laziness from Wells and Diedhiou.

Nige, get them in and fire a proper rocket up the arses of the dead wood we have on the pitch who take their profession for granted and think they are something which they are not!

14 minutes ago, Richard Head said:

Ummm... yes possibly.

I just struggle a little with HNM to find a midfield ‘fit’ that is right for him and the team.  But given our midfield has been all but non-existent for 4 years that’s not surprising... but still asking myself is he part of that problem or the solution? 

Certainly, at present, we won’t be recouping anywhere near the purchase price, so maybe add him to the Bents, Kalas, Williams(?). ‘retained’ list. ... to which we could possibly add Vyner and Semenyo with the proviso that they are retained only if the coaches genuinely believe them can be developed, in a chosen role, to become consistent Championship performers.

The Pearson out lot are no better than Rovers sacking someone after 10 games and hoping things will improve with no real plan. That won't solve anything and we have a proven manager in the chair right now who should be given a 2 year contract to sort things out. However I'm not as pessimistic as many and I have seen how sides like Barnsley, Reading, QPR etc can go from bottom half to play-off contenders in half a season or less etc. It can be done but requires a bit of patience (not just 10 games with a squad that will largely be dismantled shortly).

I don't really care too much what has happened this season due to the fact that its been no fans and strange (not proper in my eyes) etc but next season I expect fans to be back and it will be important again. I will lose faith if SL doesn't stick with NP for next season.

36 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I would let the contracts that are out this summer dry out. Enter the window and purchase nobody over the age of 24 (If we go older they should be loan only), we have a scouting team who should be capable of finding gems in L1 or abroad. We should have absolutely no "Has beens" left in the squad. I believe this team is still salvageable but it won't be easy. 

IF we have money, it needs to spent on a striker. 

and finally, we need to 100% keep NP. 

We already have enough of those . What we don't have is experienced players in their prime 26-28, that's the age bracket I would be looking at.

4 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

We already have enough of those . What we don't have is experienced players in their prime 26-28, that's the age bracket I would be looking at.

From what I've seen, most of the best performances this season have been from players 24 or under. 

3 minutes ago, Sturny said:

From what I've seen, most of the best performances this season have been from players 24 or under. 

The Senior players in the main have let us down so what you have to do is get a few new Senior players in. It's fine to go with a predominantly young team but you really do need some know how sprinkled alongside them so that "collectively" the team doesn't panic and continues to do the things the Manager wants them to do, that they've worked on in training, when they're under the cosh for a 10 minute spell or when they've gone a goal down after battering the opposition for half an hour etc. That's where experience is invaluable..............our problem is that we have a few experienced players who are struggling to play at the level themselves and have to put so much focus on their own game that they couldn't possibly help out the kid 20 yards in front of them!!

Archived